Bus driver AMA

Started by AnotherBusDriver, July 20, 2024, 06:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherBusDriver

Given how quiet the forum appears these days I thought it would be fun to start an 'ask me anything' thread. I am a bus driver working out of the Belconnen depot. I love my job and would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of a career change (we are currently hiring)

L94UBbusfan

What are your favourite and least favourite buses to drive, and why?

AnotherBusDriver

The diesel MANs are my favourite, they're very reliable for their age too. Volgren scanias are least favourite because most of them rattle very loudly.

triumph

OK, I'll bite - what is your favourite route? And why?

Sylvan Loves Buses

What is your opinion of the Irisbuses? I assume all belco drivers get at least one go of them during training.

AnotherBusDriver

Quote from: triumph on July 20, 2024, 11:17:38 PMOK, I'll bite - what is your favourite route? And why?

At the moment I would say the 47. I enjoy travelling through coppins crossing and with all the construction going on there is always something new to see

AnotherBusDriver

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 21, 2024, 08:34:16 AMWhat is your opinion of the Irisbuses? I assume all belco drivers get at least one go of them during training.

At first I didn't like them and find the cabin quite restrictive for a larger person like myself. Getting used to the brake and coming to a smooth stop took a bit to work on. Now I quite enjoy them because they are so different to the others buses and are a nice change every now and then.

triumph

Quote from: AnotherBusDriver on July 23, 2024, 11:33:42 AMAt the moment I would say the 47. I enjoy travelling through coppins crossing and with all the construction going on there is always something new to see
As a passenger I agree. Another plus from my perspective was that until recently there were two afternoon services in succession that were quite reliably operated by elderly Renaults. It does appear that did not happen yesterday or today.

Sylvan Loves Buses

With how many different buses there are in the current fleet, do you have to lug around a huge chain of keys around your waist/in your bag and do you ever forget which key inserts into which bus?

Barry Drive

While it's an interesting question, the answer is not something which needs to be known publicly.

Bus 503

Do drivers get any choice on a day-to-day basis as to whether they drive MANs, Volgrens etc? There are some shifts I see that always seem to get MANs, while there's others that only seem to get CB80s, so I've often wondered.

Snorzac

I'll answer that one;

Drivers don't get a choice generally however preferences are taken into account when possible. At Tuggeranong they try to alternate days drivers have gas buses.

Some drivers may also have medical requirements and be required to drive a particular type of bus due to an injury. 

For me personally if I'm on a shift that isn't  an Artic/STAG shift my preference is either MAN (specifically Gas as I find them slightly nicer to drive) or Yutong, so you will generally find me in a Gas MAN as for the starters in the depot having me in a gas bus is one less driver that will potentially complain about getting a gas bus 

Cutepattern1098

Idk if I should start a new chat but I am a driver for CDC Canberra. AMA me I guess

Sylvan Loves Buses

Has the Queanbeyan bus wash been upgraded yet?

Barry Drive

Quote from: Cutepattern1098 on August 15, 2024, 07:59:06 AMIdk if I should start a new chat but I am a driver for CDC Canberra. AMA me I guess
How do the fares work?

Is this anywhere near correct: https://www.actbus.net/cdc-fares/

(Feel free to send me a direct message)

Cutepattern1098

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on August 15, 2024, 03:25:55 PMHas the Queanbeyan bus wash been upgraded yet?

The bus wash been upgraded ever since I started with CDC in 2022. It's a new machine form Istobal.

Cutepattern1098

Quote from: AnotherBusDriver on July 23, 2024, 11:37:26 AMAt first I didn't like them and find the cabin quite restrictive for a larger person like myself. Getting used to the brake and coming to a smooth stop took a bit to work on. Now I quite enjoy them because they are so different to the others buses and are a nice change every now and then.
If you think the Irisbus is hard try one of our Hinos. Those buses are impossible to stop smoothly as the brake pedal gives you either way to little or way too much breaking with no real way to "feel" the sweet spot as it's incredibly squishy compared to the Volvos and Irisbuses of the fleet.

Cutepattern1098

Quote from: Barry Drive on August 15, 2024, 04:24:50 PMHow do the fares work?

Is this anywhere near correct: https://www.actbus.net/cdc-fares/

(Feel free to send me a direct message)

It's a band based system where the fare changes by distance. You can pay for a fare either with cash or debit card. For the latter there is a Eftpos card reader that is linked to an IPad running the TransportMe app which all low floors have. That's the most I can say because I currently only do School and Charter runs so I don't need to collect fares directly. I almost always drive high floors which don't have the TransportMe IPads with card readers as they are never assinged to shifts where drivers have to collect fares.

Here's a link to the fares page on the website https://cdccanberra.com.au/travel-info/fares-ticketing/fares/

Cutepattern1098

Quote from: Snorzac on July 28, 2024, 02:13:32 PMI'll answer that one;

Drivers don't get a choice generally however preferences are taken into account when possible. At Tuggeranong they try to alternate days drivers have gas buses.

Some drivers may also have medical requirements and be required to drive a particular type of bus due to an injury.

For me personally if I'm on a shift that isn't  an Artic/STAG shift my preference is either MAN (specifically Gas as I find them slightly nicer to drive) or Yutong, so you will generally find me in a Gas MAN as for the starters in the depot having me in a gas bus is one less driver that will potentially complain about getting a gas bus

Why do people complain about getting Gas Buses?

Cutepattern1098

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 27, 2024, 06:57:07 AMWith how many different buses there are in the current fleet, do you have to lug around a huge chain of keys around your waist/in your bag and do you ever forget which key inserts into which bus?

[REDACTED]

⚠️ Refer to this post:
Quote from: Barry Drive on July 27, 2024, 10:11:16 AMWhile it's an interesting question, the answer is not something which needs to be known publicly.

Cutepattern1098

Do the Destos for TC buses contain any funny or heartwarming codes? At CDC I've been able to get CDC Destos to say "Have a nice day!" And "Lost but Happy".

Cutepattern1098

Quote from: Cutepattern1098 on August 16, 2024, 02:39:40 PM[REDACTED]

⚠️ Refer to this post:

Thanks for that Barry Drive, I realised the implications during my shift hahaha. Would have done it myself if I wasn't driving.

L94UBbusfan

Quote from: Cutepattern1098 on August 16, 2024, 02:36:09 PMWhy do people complain about getting Gas Buses?

I also wonder about this too. It could be that they drive differently to other buses, which some drivers don't like. If anyone would like to share the reason for this it would be greatly appreciated.

Cutepattern1098

Quote from: L94UBbusfan on July 20, 2024, 07:14:36 PMWhat are your favourite and least favourite buses to drive, and why?

As a Libra I don't quite hate or like some buses just, see a mix of upsides and downsides.

Anyway let's start with the Volgren Optimus and Endura Volvos. They are modern, nice to drive, have backup cameras and all have air conditioning. They also have the best demisters in the fleet as they warn your feet up quickly. Volgren  have put thought that drivers are people too, with storage cabinets and cupholders, though the ergonomics of getting out of the drivers can be  awkward.

Next we have the P&D Volvos which sadly are not all air conditioned but atleast are nice to drive. For some reason the drivers windows have openings that are very small and are low down. Alongside that the nearside mirror  is quite low down for my liking.

And now we have the Express Irisbuses. They don't have air conditioning and struggle to climb inclines, but apart form that are fine to drive, though I find the gauge cluster to not have the best position on the dash as you have to move your eyes off the road quite a bit to read your speed .

Then we have the Custom Volvos which while are very nice to drive have doors that let in a lot of wind noise at speed. Also I find the position of the mirrors a bit weird as you have to move your head quite a bit to see the off side mirror but I don't mind.

And last but not least are the buses I love to hate the P&D Hinos. They are slow and really hard to stop smoothly. But I kinda like the fact it's a bit of a learning curve to drive and that they are quite analoge compared to the other buses in the fleet. They also have a great sounding engine and have the best horns in the fleet which are actual air horns .

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Cutepattern1098 on August 16, 2024, 02:36:09 PMWhy do people complain about getting Gas Buses?
I know Snorzac has a reason, but I'll let them say what it is. From what I've asked other drivers I believe it's a combination of all the rattling and the position of the steering wheel.

Cutepattern1098

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on August 16, 2024, 10:23:21 PMI know Snorzac has a reason, but I'll let them say what it is. From what I've asked other drivers I believe it's a combination of all the rattling and the position of the steering wheel.

I am reminded that a few of my coworkers have said they will refuse to drive Electric Buses once they eventually arrive.

triumph

Adding to the gas bus driver woes, a driver told me that they didn't like gas buses as accelerator pedal response was lacking - a lot of pedal depression required for not much power. Really?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Cutepattern1098 on August 18, 2024, 09:32:11 AMI am reminded that a few of my coworkers have said they will refuse to drive Electric Buses once they eventually arrive.

Is that something to do with audio recognition?

Cutepattern1098

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on August 18, 2024, 06:40:50 PMIs that something to do with audio recognition?
No they're worried about the battery catching fire. They're been a few high profile fires involving Electric  buses overseas.

Cutepattern1098

Quote from: triumph on August 18, 2024, 11:00:42 AMAdding to the gas bus driver woes, a driver told me that they didn't like gas buses as accelerator pedal response was lacking - a lot of pedal depression required for not much power. Really?
Speaking form theory it could be because Gas engines are more similar to Petrol engines as they use spark ignition rather than compression ignition which Diesel engine use. This means that the Gas buses produces less torque than Diesel buses and might feel less powerful form behind the wheel.

Busnerd

Quote from: Cutepattern1098 on August 16, 2024, 06:45:13 PMFor some reason the drivers windows have openings that are very small and are low down.
Sounds like a 'toll window', the idea being its just to put your had out to pay a toll or swipe a toll pass.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Cutepattern1098 on August 19, 2024, 07:43:28 AMNo they're worried about the battery catching fire
Yes of course, not sure how I've neglected to realise that with all the exploding scooters and fire fighter talk I've heard. I'd imagine an electric bus battery explosion would be a lot worse than that CNG gas leak scare at Woden a few years back.

Cutepattern1098

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on August 19, 2024, 06:17:18 PMYes of course, not sure how I've neglected to realise that with all the exploding scooters and fire fighter talk I've heard. I'd imagine an electric bus battery explosion would be a lot worse than that CNG gas leak scare at Woden a few years back.

Personally I'm not too worried as the likelihood of one occurring is pretty low and as a driver I don't spend too much time around parked buses (Almost all of these electric bus fires have occurred whole the bus is Charging) . You're more likely to have a fire with an Diesel or an CNG bus (Thankfully have to worry about the latter at CDC), though in saying that a Electric bus fire would be much riskier to deal with.