Media Release: Meegan Fitzharris MLA, 31 August 2017
Transport Canberra’s new bus timetable will start in October, introducing two new Rapid bus services, improving service times across the network, better aligning weekday and weekend services and providing better connections to meet the needs of our growing city.
“This timetable is the first of a series of improvements being made as we work towards the introduction of light rail and an integrated public transport system from late 2018,” Minister for Transport Canberra and City Services, Meegan Fitzharris said.
“The changes have been recommended as the best way to provide services to more customers, so they can travel more quickly and conveniently around Canberra on public transport during the week and on weekends.
“The ACT Government is excited about the introduction of more Rapid routes and light rail in 2018, and looks forward to community engagement on these further service improvements starting in the next few months.”
There will be a number of changes introduced in October, including:
– New and extended Rapid bus services on weekdays and weekends
- The new weekday Green Rapid service between the City to Woden via Griffith, Manuka and Kingston (every 15 minutes or better from 7am – 7pm)
- The new weekend Black Rapid service between Gungahlin and Belconnen (every 15 minutes or better from 7am – 7pm) [see note 1 below]
- Consistent Blue Rapid on weekends and weekdays to ensure the Wanniassa Park and Ride is serviced 7 days a week (every 10 minutes or better from 7am – 7pm, then every 15 minutes until last service) [see note 2 below]
- Weekend Red Rapid (Gungahlin – City), providing a 7 day a week high frequency service between Gungahlin and the City (every 15 minutes from 7am-7pm)
– Other route changes
- Extending the Weston Line (Route 182) into Denman Prospect on weekdays [see note 3 below]
- The introduction of services through the new Dickson Interchange
- A variety of service improvements across the weekend, including improved service times across the Network to better reflect current travel times.
- Notably there will be a change to route 5, being replaced by the Green Rapid (Route 6) and to Route 4 to provide access to Fyshwick.
- Service changes to Belconnen Xpresso routes from Belconnen to better connect to other services and provide faster travel times.
“Minor changes have also been made to the dedicated school services. All ACT schools will receive advice on any changes that affect them,” Minister Fitzharris said.
“Travel will be free for all passengers on the new Black and Green Rapids for the first two months of service. We hope that this will encourage people that don’t use public transport currently to give it a try and see how easy it can be. The introduction of two new Rapid services demonstrates that the Government is delivering on its commitment of its Rapid Network Strategy.”
The timetable will see minor, temporary reductions in frequency during the AM peak on suburban services to allow the network to take into account timing delays. Towards the completion of light rail as service running returns to normal, suburban frequencies will increase. Services already experiencing high demand during peak times, including the Blue and Red Rapid, will not reduce in frequency.
Changes will also be made to services running through the City Bus Station, with services no longer running from Platforms 10 and 11, in preparation for works to commence on the Northbourne Plaza.
Full details can be found online at transport.act.gov.au or by calling the Transport Canberra Information Line on 13 17 10. Changes come into effect on 7 October for weekend services and 9 October for weekday services.
Bus books will be available at Libraries ACT branches, Bus Stations and MyWay Recharge Agents, two weeks before the timetable commences.
— end of statement —
Note 1: Black Rapid will operate on weekdays only, media release stated as “weekend”
Note 2: quoted service frequencies for Blue Rapid only apply during weekdays; on weekends services are every 15 minutes.
Note 3: no service will be provided to Denman Prospect on weekends.