March 31, 2020, 05:51:21 pm

Bus Discussion (2019-)

Started by ajw373, January 03, 2019, 10:52:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 503

Has anyone seen 381 recently? Seems to often be out of service for long periods. At least that's what I suspect, as I often don't see it or track it for long periods of time.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: triumph on December 03, 2019, 10:35:02 pm(Have yet to see or ride articulated, PR3, or PR2 on an R3; but have ridden 1 STAG running an R3. Very little opportunity now to ride PR2s and particularly PR3s on routes regularly used.)

That's funny, cause all I ever see R3s on are Volgren Artics and R4s but never in the direction I'm heading

I take it you are in the Belconnen/Gungahlin areas of Canberra. I've been surveying anytrip and spotting them around quite a bit recently. If you want to ride 2s and 3s just for the hell of it, there's quite a few being used around the Belconnen/Gungahlin parts in the very early parts of the morning 5-9am. Otherwise the general City area to Belconnen and Dickson and R7s during the middle of the day. 180s, R6s, 30s, 50s, 60s and 70s in the afternoon and evening - at least until the school term ends.

Barry Drive

December 04, 2019, 10:01:33 am #53 Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:09:21 pm by Barry Drive
Triumph's post was correct. Artics are not to be found on R3s. (In fact, this was mentioned in budget estimates.) STAGs are also not meant to be used, but do so occasionally.

You may be thinking of R2 which does use artics a lot.

Toyota Camry

I believe that articulated buses are banned from the R3 and cannot be used in any circumstances; no member here has ever sighted one. Articulated vehicles did operate on the former 315 service to Spence, and also presently operate on the R5; my suspicion is that the section of route around Brindabella Park and Canberra Airport is not suitable for articulated vehicles.

King of Buses

Quote from: Toyota Camry on December 05, 2019, 04:45:35 pmI believe that articulated buses are banned from the R3 and cannot be used in any circumstances; no member here has ever sighted one. Articulated vehicles did operate on the former 315 service to Spence, and also presently operate on the R5; my suspicion is that the section of route around Brindabella Park and Canberra Airport is not suitable for articulated vehicles.

Actually, I've been on an artic operated R3 to the Airport and back, as well been on/seen artics on former routes 11, 792, 10, 737, 757, 786 to Fairbairn Park. So, they can do it, and occasionally do (as do STAGs), I'm just inclined to believe none are scheduled to operate the R3 for whatever reason (such as they're not really needed on that run, other than the City to Belconnen section which you can cover by putting those buses on R2s and R4s).

triumph

Last Monday a PR came past Spence shops outbound around 1 to 1.15pm. it appeared when a regular R3 service would be expected to come by. (The only other bus at around that moment was a blue bus displaying 'L'.) Unfortunately I didn't initially take much notice or get a good look, but it possibly was a PR3.
Can anyone confirm that a PR was on an R3 that day?

Sylvan Loves Buses

646 will be outta action for a while, got hit the other day by another bus driver pulling into Tuggeranong Interchange

Bus 400

Quote from: triumph on February 29, 2020, 12:10:26 amThere are only two Hino Honchos Nos 100 and 101 for the new route 903 to Strathnairn. Looking at the TT for services starting this Monday, there are some run overlaps which means both Honchos are needed to run the service. This implies that, regular buses from the fleet will appear from time to time when either or both of the Honchos are unavailable for service.
It would depend on who is providing the drivers? Is the regular bus drivers, or the SNT/Flexibus drivers?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Snorzac

The OnScene ACT Facebook page reported an accident involving a bus in Fraser today, pictures show BUS 450 with significant front end damage.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Snorzac on March 01, 2020, 02:02:43 amThe OnScene ACT Facebook page reported an accident involving a bus in Fraser today, pictures show BUS 450 with significant front end damage.
That accident happened at a blind curve next to an intersection on Shakespeare Crescent; as a safety measure, traffic lights must be installed at that intersection as a matter of urgency, the TWU should  refuse to allow any of it's members to operate route 42 services along the eastern half of Shakespeare Crescent at a speed higher than 15km/hr until this occurs.

Snorzac

I reckon it would be much safer if the entire road network were to be reduced to 15km/h speed limit and traffic lights at every intersection...

Stan butler

Quote from: Toyota Camry on March 01, 2020, 06:02:18 pmThat accident happened at a blind curve next to an intersection on Shakespeare Crescent; as a safety measure, traffic lights must be installed at that intersection as a matter of urgency, the TWU should  refuse to allow any of it's members to operate route 42 services along the eastern half of Shakespeare Crescent at a speed higher than 15km/hr until this occurs.

Do you have any statistical or empirical data that shows that this is a dangerous accident area?  I have only heard of only one accident involving a bus here and there must be over 50 buses a day that go past this corner.

Yes it is a blind corner, and with the perceived lack of data then I can only assume that most drivers, car and bus, are able to navigate through here without any issues (as I don't hear of other accidents).

But I am glad to be proven wrong - do you have data that proves or shows that many drivers are having accidents here.  Just like the corner of tillyard and ginninderra drive.  I see after many reported accidents, and a documented history of accidents, that this corner finally got lights and a better design.

So with this corner on Shakespeare, does the data exist to warrant traffic lights and a reduction in speed limits?

triumph

Quote from: Toyota Camry on March 01, 2020, 06:02:18 pmThat accident happened at a blind curve next to an intersection on Shakespeare Crescent; as a safety measure, traffic lights must be installed at that intersection as a matter of urgency, the TWU should  refuse to allow any of it's members to operate route 42 services along the eastern half of Shakespeare Crescent at a speed higher than 15km/hr until this occurs.
You have, haven't you, the benefit of the accident professional report, and of a traffic study detailing actual sight distances, 85percentile speeds in the through street, stopping sight distance, traffic volume (goes to probability), human factors, and funding priorities to inform your statement.

There are, in every probability, lots of locations with compromised sight distances and the like. The community can't afford to rectify the lot, so it comes down to priorities and the precepts that should have been learnt when learning to drive. (Those precepts also should make union imposed limits unnecessary, especially as licensed heavy vehicle drivers are trained and skilled professionals.)

Sylvan Loves Buses

You know there's a better solution than reducing the speed limit and placing a traffic light every 10 meters right?

All the government has to do is make it LAW that cars are illegal in the ACT (excluding taxis and other business vehicles), and make the whole place a Bus-Capital (instead of Bush-Capital). Sure, no one would like it, but for every 50 cars, you've pretty much got a bus load. The more buses we have the better, not only for the enthusiasts, but the environment! ;D