Website | Forum | Gallery | Fleet Wiki
ACT Bus Forum

Light Rail Stage 1 Construction

Offline Barry Drive

• Obscurantist
Re: Light Rail Stage 1 Construction
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2018, 08:36:01 PM »
I've checked this today. There is definitely a wire above the Nullarbor Av crossover track.

As for the one at Dickson: still no wire, but it looks as though it will be installed very soon. (All OHW is reportedly due to be completed this week.)

And still at Dickson, the Murdoch St crossing has now been closed with work on the U turn bay underway. No sign of new traffic light poles at this stage.

Offline ajw373

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2018, 08:48:31 PM »
I'll have to take a closer look next time I am going down Flemmington Road. Hard to have a good gander when driving.

And think it is a bit optimistic for the overhead to be done this week. Next maybe. There is still a short section missing between Condamine Street and Barry Drive, maybe they will install the wire this weekend, and then it takes them a few days to fully fit it off. And also I've come to learn when Canberra Metro say finished they don't ever really mean finished. Mostly yes, but fully, no way.

Take for example testing to Dickson. That is still not even close. But getting there slowly.

And one thing that I find annoying, and I guess bus drivers would too is how the tram track works are all essentially done down Flemmington Road, especially north of Sandford street but the road is still a works zone. It looks like all they need to do is lay down a top layer of asphalt, but nothing what so ever for many a month. I cannot think of any logical reason for it to not have been done by now. And I reckon the thing will open before the end of the year, maybe just maybe, but still plenty of work left to be done on Northborne Ave.

Offline Bus 400

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2018, 09:27:15 PM »
All road work closures for the light rail finish at different times of the day on Friday 21 December 2018. Wether this means just roadworks or everything is done by then is yet to be seen.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Offline ajw373

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2018, 10:57:32 AM »
That is also the date that the road works outside the Sydney and Melbourne Buildings are due to finish.

Offline ajw373

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2018, 06:03:33 PM »

As for the one at Dickson: still no wire, but it looks as though it will be installed very soon. (All OHW is reportedly due to be completed this week.)

The contact wire over the Dickson crossover was installed today. And they appear to have started putting up the gear they use to pull on new wire on the last section of track without wire. I would imagine they will pull that up this weekend as it goes over two intersections and fit it off next week. It's a reasonably short section too. There are 3 sections from the terminus to Condamine Street.

Offline triumph

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2018, 11:33:27 PM »
Had a look today from Rte 200 bus, just over 3 weeks since last summary. Not all that much to add now that visible major works are nearly complete.

There appears to have been no progress on paving etc at Gungahlin stop - that wheel barrow has not even been moved since last visit. There was action though at bus stop platform 3 - 5 recently placed large pavers were being jackhammered off. It is surprising so little effort has been made to complete this and tidy the site which is rather prominent to the public.

Overhead: The crossovers at Nullabor Ave and Dickson Interchange are wired.
Despite being in position now for some weeks, there is still work being done at various locations South of the Depot.
It appears operations are still basically in the section Nullabor Ave to Gungahlin. Earth safety connections (temporary conductor from overhead to rail) were in place further South.
The overhead wire is yet to be placed in the section from just North of Girrawheen Ave, South to vicinity of McKay St, but workers in elevating platforms were active, so this final piece cannot be far from placement.

Rails are now all placed and work to place landscaping soil South of Michell is in progress, including sections between the Dickson Interchange and the City. Never-the-less much detail work seems to be still necessary and Capital Metro mentions traffic light work pending.

As other posts have made clear, there is still a lot of obstructing materials, equipment, etc to clear to make way for vehicle testing between the Mitchell and the Dickson Interchange. But workers using blowers and brooms were tidying the track at some locations. A concerted effort in the coming week could still see testing get underway.

LR vehicles were observed as follows:-
Just South of Nullabor Ave on Southbound track 007, 012 and on North bound track 002.
Just North of Nullabor Ave on Southbound track 009 and an unidentified, un-numbered vehicle on Northbound track.
In Gungahlin Station on Northbound track was 004, another vehicle without its number in position.
Returning later, there was a vehicle on the Southbound track just North of the stop near Manning Clark (North).

At Manning Clark (South) station the level crossing departing South is posted for lightrail at 50kph and immediately after the crossing at 70. Will road traffic in Flemington Rd also be restricted to 50 passing the station? Other-wise it seems illogical and also detrimental to achieving the required transit time.

All stations now have roofs up. Stations Dickson Interchange to City are all of the two platform variety. 

Offline Busnerd

• ACT BUS
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2018, 09:48:46 AM »
Road traffic follow the road traffic signs, not the light rail speed limits, the road speed limits will be 70 on Flemington Rd in both directions, assuming it may drop to 60 for the single lane section after Manning Clark up to Kate Crace Street.

Offline triumph

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2018, 10:28:29 AM »
Road traffic follow the road traffic signs, not the light rail speed limits, the road speed limits will be 70 on Flemington Rd in both directions, assuming it may drop to 60 for the single lane section after Manning Clark up to Kate Crace Street.

That was my point. Why constrain Light Rail to 50 across the level crossing (presumably with thoughts for traffic/pedestrian safety) if the adjacent parallel road traffic continues to be subject to a 70 speed limit? Not much difference to being hit by a truck cruising through at 70 to being hit by a light rail vehicle cruising through at 70. As I said, illogical.

In the location mentioned in earlier post, the proximity of the stop to the crossing tends to render the 50 limit irrelevant for stopping services. (If, as has been mentioned previously, all public services are to stop, even if no passengers are to get on/off, it might just be reasonable that non-stop non-public services are slowed to match expectations of normality.)

Offline ajw373

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2018, 10:54:42 AM »
That was my point. Why constrain Light Rail to 50 across the level crossing (presumably with thoughts for traffic/pedestrian safety) if the adjacent parallel road traffic continues to be subject to a 70 speed limit? Not much difference to being hit by a truck cruising through at 70 to being hit by a light rail vehicle cruising through at 70. As I said, illogical.

In the location mentioned in earlier post, the proximity of the stop to the crossing tends to render the 50 limit irrelevant for stopping services. (If, as has been mentioned previously, all public services are to stop, even if no passengers are to get on/off, it might just be reasonable that non-stop non-public services are slowed to match expectations of normality.)

The speed limit signs are an aid to the driver, hence why they are so close together in parts. Don't try and read too much into them or somehow try and correlate them to standard road rules. Two different things and for two different reasons.

And I have no doubt what so ever that the speeds vehicles will be travelling at along the whole route has been reflected in the total running time.

Offline Busnerd

• ACT BUS
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2018, 08:57:13 PM »
Think of it from a rail point of view, a lot of 'level crossings' or in this case, intersections with road traffic, generally have lower speeds, as these are areas more likely of having an accident with road traffic or pedestrians, no doubt the lower speed limits across intersections would be in place to allow the vehicles to stop faster, but like you've said, a lot of stops are right before or after intersections so they wouldn't be doing 50 there anyway.

Offline triumph

« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2018, 11:01:48 PM »
As of lunchtime today the contact wire was deployed along the remaining section in Northbourne Ave. It is presently still in some of the pulley sheaves but work was being carried out on attaching it to the spreaders.