Website | Forum | Gallery | Fleet Wiki
ACT Bus Forum

Alternative / Electric bus trial

Offline Busnerd

• ACT BUS
Re: Alternative / Electric bus trial
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2018, 11:58:09 PM »
I rode 711 on a 39 today, seemed to have less rattles than 710, although the nearside rear wheel did keep scrubbing the underside of the bus whenever it went over a large bump, will be interesting to see if they decide to order more, and/or keep these ones long term.

Offline triumph

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2018, 10:38:29 AM »
I rode 711 on a 39 today, seemed to have less rattles than 710, although the nearside rear wheel did keep scrubbing the underside of the bus whenever it went over a large bump, will be interesting to see if they decide to order more, and/or keep these ones long term.

It would be a pity if non-electrical aspects such as suspension, body durability, and the like were to dominate the evaluation.

The question of moving towards an all electric fleet is interesting. There are aspects less obvious than vehicle evaluation and suitability. A major one relates to recharging, particularly the investment necessary to set up multiple charge points for a for a significant fleet, say 50 buses to start with, but within a few years a great many more, and the power supply thereto. What will be the energy demand? How much will the electricity supply system need to be upgraded to meet that? How much can covering the depot roof with solar help? New feeders and sub-station is a worst case. Overall how cost effective? It is on these aspects rather than direct vehicle supply, operation, and maintenance costs on which the evaluation might turn.  I have seen no recharge data so can't begin to guess at any answers. 

Offline Barry Drive

• Obscurantist
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2018, 10:48:30 AM »
Checked the contract register. Both the Volvo and Carbridge contracts have been extended to 1 December 2018.

So if not the end of this month, perhaps not long afterwards, allowing time for the buses to decommissioned before being returned to their owners.

Offline King of Buses

• Eat my salad, Halloween!
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2018, 06:19:56 PM »
So if not the end of this month, perhaps not long afterwards, allowing time for the buses to decommissioned before being returned to their owners.

Went past Tuggeranong Depot this afternoon (on a 313 to Lanyon that was running 16 mins early!) and noticed a Bustech in TfNSW livery and a BYD in quasi-TC livery. Given 711 was still in service today, I'd say that 710 and 712 have been unwrapped and are currently being decommissioned.

Offline triumph

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2018, 01:12:53 PM »
Given 711 was still in service today, I'd say that 710 and 712 have been unwrapped and are currently being decommissioned.

Might be a good idea to keep a lookout and report any sightings of 711.

Offline King of Buses

• Eat my salad, Halloween!
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2018, 01:42:44 PM »
Might be a good idea to keep a lookout and report any sightings of 711.

Itís out again today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Toyota Camry

• Hybrid
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2018, 04:31:23 PM »
Today, the below trip was operated by a Renault PR100.2; until recently it had been a regular PR100.2 run, but several weeks ago had been taken over by bus 712. I suspect that bus 712 may not be running; this may be why there was a PR100.2 on it again.

(313) 13:17 Lanyon Market Place to Fraser West Terminus

Offline Toyota Camry

• Hybrid
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2018, 04:34:16 PM »
(313) 13:17 Lanyon Market Place to Fraser West Terminus
My apologies, that information was incorrect; these are the correct trips that were operated by 712, but is today was a Tuggeranong PR100.2 again.

(313) 13:13 Lanyon Market Place to Fraser West Terminus
(14) 15:04 Fraser West Terminus to Emu Bank McDonalds

Offline Snorzac

• Zac's Flickr
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2018, 05:25:29 PM »
712 has been withdrawn and the wrap has been taken off, this data is irrelevant even before it was withdrawn as the buses were never assigned to a particular shift or driver and any pattern which may have occurred was purely coincidental

Offline Sylvan Loves Buses

• Yay 1000 posts #noonecares #crievrytiem
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2018, 02:12:59 AM »
I have a pretty good list of routes that the few drivers who did use these buses, but if you want to know them you'll have to private message me.

Offline Bus 503

• The best bus in the ACTION fleet
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2018, 05:56:03 AM »
712 has been withdrawn and the wrap has been taken off, this data is irrelevant even before it was withdrawn as the buses were never assigned to a particular shift or driver and any pattern which may have occurred was purely coincidental

No, there are some shifts that do regularly receive 710Ė712.

Offline Snorzac

• Zac's Flickr
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2018, 06:35:48 AM »
But there is no pattern to it, they donít have set shifts for the trial, if the driver is trained and the bus is available then itís allocated to that driver. Particularly in 712s case this is a very limited number of drivers. Any pattern that appeared is purely coincidental.

Offline Toyota Camry

• Hybrid
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2018, 01:41:31 PM »
It must have been a major coincidence that bus 712 was operating those trips on every working day; with those odds, I will be purchasing a lottery ticket.

Offline Busfanatic101

• Your typical Canberra Bus Enthusiast
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2018, 02:45:09 PM »
But there is no pattern to it, they donít have set shifts for the trial, if the driver is trained and the bus is available then itís allocated to that driver. Particularly in 712s case this is a very limited number of drivers. Any pattern that appeared is purely coincidental.

That is a pattern - bus regularly being driven by select drivers often doing select shifts. While there is some element of chance, some outliers, there are definitely clear trends in allocation and not enough chance to be considered purely coincidental.

I can't believe we're all debating this... seriously

Offline Sylvan Loves Buses

• Yay 1000 posts #noonecares #crievrytiem
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2018, 05:13:09 PM »
I can't believe we're all debating this... seriously

Yeah I know right. I know which drivers who were allocated to each bus by face, and so, most of their runs, so it was easy to know which of the routes albeit only really their last few evening runs, but any other time they would use their normal allocated buses - Mostly P2 and Scania/MAN CNG shifts.