Website | Forum | Gallery | Fleet Wiki
ACT Bus Forum

Alternative / Electric bus trial

Offline Busnerd

• ACT BUS
Re: Alternative / Electric bus trial
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2018, 11:58:09 PM »
I rode 711 on a 39 today, seemed to have less rattles than 710, although the nearside rear wheel did keep scrubbing the underside of the bus whenever it went over a large bump, will be interesting to see if they decide to order more, and/or keep these ones long term.

Offline triumph

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2018, 10:38:29 AM »
I rode 711 on a 39 today, seemed to have less rattles than 710, although the nearside rear wheel did keep scrubbing the underside of the bus whenever it went over a large bump, will be interesting to see if they decide to order more, and/or keep these ones long term.

It would be a pity if non-electrical aspects such as suspension, body durability, and the like were to dominate the evaluation.

The question of moving towards an all electric fleet is interesting. There are aspects less obvious than vehicle evaluation and suitability. A major one relates to recharging, particularly the investment necessary to set up multiple charge points for a for a significant fleet, say 50 buses to start with, but within a few years a great many more, and the power supply thereto. What will be the energy demand? How much will the electricity supply system need to be upgraded to meet that? How much can covering the depot roof with solar help? New feeders and sub-station is a worst case. Overall how cost effective? It is on these aspects rather than direct vehicle supply, operation, and maintenance costs on which the evaluation might turn.  I have seen no recharge data so can't begin to guess at any answers. 

Offline Barry Drive

• Obscurantist
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2018, 10:48:30 AM »
Checked the contract register. Both the Volvo and Carbridge contracts have been extended to 1 December 2018.

So if not the end of this month, perhaps not long afterwards, allowing time for the buses to decommissioned before being returned to their owners.