December 16, 2019, 07:53:09 pm

Network 2014

Started by Barry Drive, March 23, 2012, 11:22:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Skitube

August 18, 2014, 10:42:14 am #150 Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:43:00 am by Skitube
quite interesting that 980 City-Railway is making a come back
more interestingly, 982 is kept

vnguyen

It's it me or the new network is not up yet?  Can't see any routes or download any of the maps.

vnguyen

Nevermind it was my internet browsers. Just need to change it.

Skitube

Another thing I noticed in weekday network map, 792 will be travelling along Fairbairn and Northcott when going from Fairbairn Park to Russell, but via Morshead in the other direction. I haven't seen the route map yet because the website keeps on telling me "page not found"...
I wonder if it's a mistake or there's something in the timetable that might explain this

743

Quote from: Skitube on August 18, 2014, 02:42:25 pm
Another thing I noticed in weekday network map, 792 will be travelling along Fairbairn and Northcott when going from Fairbairn Park to Russell, but via Morshead in the other direction. I haven't seen the route map yet because the website keeps on telling me "page not found"...
I wonder if it's a mistake or there's something in the timetable that might explain this

Allows a common PM pick up point for 791/792 at Russell for travel to Woden, otherwise one would be stopping north of Kings Ave and the other south of it. Doesn't matter in the morning as people are getting off.

vnguyen

How does finishing buses early allowing it for more daytime routes/buses?

Skitube

Quote from: vnguyen on August 18, 2014, 05:57:20 pm
How does finishing buses early allowing it for more daytime routes/buses?


the cost of running buses redistributed from night to daytime, that's all there is pretty much
as far as i can see, 51 and 52 got a boost, new 250, new 725/726/783 replace 729, etc
However I have to say it is really stupid that the last run of most weekday services finish around 10pm, and pathetic on weekends on some routes

The Love Guru

I don't see any real additional daytime off peak services, only the odd peak service. As there hasn't been an increase in fleet size peak runs are merely are redistribution of resources. Was a nice way to reduce services and costs whilst making out its better for everyone!

Bus 400

I can see the 62 lost a service, this happens every network so no change there.

But the Blue Rapids look to have been cut back in the middle of the day from every 2-8 minutes to every 6-8 minutes.

Skitube

Quote from: Bus 400 on August 18, 2014, 09:44:15 pm
I can see the 62 lost a service, this happens every network so no change there.

But the Blue Rapids look to have been cut back in the middle of the day from every 2-8 minutes to every 6-8 minutes.


sure has, in other words, from 12 buses an hour to 8, the pattern is 313-300-343-300 within one half hour

Gadgets

as they have stuffed with the 43 route my kids will no longer be able to get to or from school grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Skitube

anybody knows what happens to a 971 once it terminates at Erindale? does it stay there for like 40 mins and return to Tuggeranong as 971? maybe dead run back to tuggeranong?

vnguyen

August 19, 2014, 11:14:21 am #162 Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:17:30 am by vnguyen
Would it be better if the 83/983 services Lyons better rather than the 21 & 22/921 & 922?

Barry Drive

August 19, 2014, 12:13:25 pm #163 Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 12:16:55 pm by ACTbusspotter
Quote from: The Love Guru on August 18, 2014, 07:53:28 pm
I don't see any real additional daytime off peak services, only the odd peak service. As there hasn't been an increase in fleet size peak runs are merely are redistribution of resources. Was a nice way to reduce services and costs whilst making out its better for everyone!
Agreed. From what I can see, only two routes have gained additional off-peak frequency: 43/343 has gone from hourly to half-hourly and 250 run every 20 minutes, which has effectively replaced 56 & 59 which each ran hourly.

But weekday trips have increased 10%! (refer Media Release) How did this occur? Because several routes were split: 10 becomes 40, 10 & 11; 56 becomes 56 & 250; 58 becomes 54 & 58; and also because 314, 315, 318 & 319 ceased operating as Blue Rapid services during the day and were replaced by 300 plus 14, 15, 18 & 19.

Quote from: Skitube on August 19, 2014, 10:52:27 am
anybody knows what happens to a 971 once it terminates at Erindale? does it stay there for like 40 mins and return to Tuggeranong as 971? maybe dead run back to tuggeranong?
Too soon to know yet, but most likely will dead run to Tuggeranong or Woden.

Quote from: vnguyen on August 19, 2014, 11:14:21 am
Would it be better if the 83/983 services Lyons better rather than the 21 & 22/921 & 922?
Better for whom? If you extend the 83 to run via Burnie St, Launceston St then Devonport St, this will provide a better service to Lyons but will increase the travel time to Wright. IMO when providing bus services to new suburbs, they should be as direct as possible.

I don't know if there's an ideal solution. An alternative I've been contemplating is to run route 2 through Lyons before/after Curtin.

Quote from: vnguyen on August 16, 2014, 03:28:59 pm
Any platform changes for Woden or Tuggeranong?
Tuggeranong: only changes to match new weekend routes (918, 919, 971) with their weekday equivalents.

Woden: several changes - 71/171 moves to 12 (11/111 was on 11); 2 and 932 move to 14 (732 stays on 4); 83, 983 will depart from 16.

Also changes at Cohen St: 45 will move to 2 and 43/343 will move to 6. On weekends 932 will move to 1, 980 to 2 and 907 to 6.

vnguyen

August 19, 2014, 12:28:10 pm #164 Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 12:29:08 pm by vnguyen
Also why didn't ACTION put the bus stations map like the have done the past few times showing which bus departs from each platform?

Barry Drive

^They have. Maps are in the bus books. I expect the website maps will get updated later.

Bus 400

Route 2 will be increased to a 20 minute frequency, up from 30. Route 40 becomes 30 minute frequency,  up from 60 minutes.

But we also have the 71,73,74,75,76,77 cut from off peak running.  Surely this would bring the percentage down, if only a tad.

Skitube

Quote from: Bus 400 on August 19, 2014, 01:25:07 pm
Route 2 will be increased to a 20 minute frequency, up from 30. Route 40 becomes 30 minute frequency,  up from 60 minutes.

But we also have the 71,73,74,75,76,77 cut from off peak running.  Surely this would bring the percentage down, if only a tad.


the 10 currently runs every 30 mins, so no boost changing from 10 to 40

Skitube

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on August 19, 2014, 12:13:25 pm
Agreed. From what I can see, only two routes have gained additional off-peak frequency: 43/343 has gone from hourly to half-hourly and 250 run every 20 minutes, which has effectively replaced 56 & 59 which each ran hourly.

But weekday trips have increased 10%! (refer Media Release) How did this occur? Because several routes were split: 10 becomes 40, 10 & 11; 56 becomes 56 & 250; 58 becomes 54 & 58; and also because 314, 315, 318 & 319 ceased operating as Blue Rapid services during the day and were replaced by 300 plus 14, 15, 18 & 19.


51 and 52 got boosts, up from 60 mins to 30 mins
45 got quite a cut

vnguyen

In the bus book it shows Platform 1 at Woden Bus Station as Flexilink services. What is this service? As I have never seen it before

743

Work appears to be under way on converting the old Dickson Terminus (on Majura Ave, opposite Officer Cres) back in to a bus stop. It will be used by school Route 684.

King of Buses

If one looks closely at the map of Tuggeranong Bus Station in the weekday bus book, they will notice the 18/318 leave Platform 7 (even though the timetable says Platform 4).

Also, the 19/319 seem to in Conder and Banks, leave Lanyon, take 11 mins to travel along Box Hill to Conder PS, then 2 mins to Saint Clare of Assisi via Pockett, Forsythe etc.

So based of those times, does it mean it operates clockwise or anti-clockwise on northbound journeys? The maps says Anticlockwise but times say differently.

Could someone please clarify as I use these fairly frequently...

Buzz Killington

Northbound = anticlockwise.

smitho

Big improvement in Civic area is that inbound Xpressos and 100 Links from the south will run around London Crt and avoid City West and Marcus Clarke / Alinga Streets....instead using 'new' stops on London Crt at Melbourne and Sydney Buildings and terminating @ former Electricity House (near Waldorf).

....should make for much faster servicing of Civic while continuing to provide popular services to western stops on London Crt.

Barry Drive

Quote from: King of Buses on August 21, 2014, 08:35:41 pm
If one looks closely at the map of Tuggeranong Bus Station in the weekday bus book, they will notice the 18/318 leave Platform 7 (even though the timetable says Platform 4).

Also, the 19/319 seem to in Conder and Banks, leave Lanyon, take 11 mins to travel along Box Hill to Conder PS, then 2 mins to Saint Clare of Assisi via Pockett, Forsythe etc.

So based of those times, does it mean it operates clockwise or anti-clockwise on northbound journeys? The maps says Anticlockwise but times say differently.

Could someone please clarify as I use these fairly frequently...
Comparison with the weekend timetables: 918 departs from Platform 7; 919 takes 4 min to Conder Primary then 12 to St Clare (total 16 min - whereas 19 takes 13 min). The outbound timetable is more realistic. So the route map is correct, but the timetable is WAY out.

743

Some other weird ones -

  • 51/52 and 951/952 are allocated the same or only a minute's difference running time between Ngunnawal Primary and Gungahlin Bus Station, despite the 52/952 going via Unaipon/Len Waters.

  • A rush of people must flock to Flynn and Charnwood in the evenings seeing as a 14 departs Belconnen Community at 19:33, followed by a 314 two minutes later.


I know that scheduling constraints mean not everything is possible, but some of the spacings aren't great or consistent. For instance from Gungahlin to Belconnen on weekends, the 951 and 952 are spaced 30 minutes apart. But from Belconnen to Gungahlin, the three hourly options (including 954) all leave within 15 minutes of each other within the hour.

vnguyen

Bollard boards have been installed at City Bus Station today at each platform for the new timetables.

King of Buses

Also, on the 88 journeys to Chisholm and Hume, why does it take 20 mins from Hume Industrial Area to the Chisholm Shops? I would've thought it would be closer to 10 mins but thats ACTION for you...

Buzz Killington

The Network '14 route listing has been added to the ACT Bus website: http://actbus.net/network-2014/

Please let us know if you spot any errors

Skitube

August 26, 2014, 01:39:06 am #179 Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:47:38 am by Skitube
Quote from: Buzz Killington on August 25, 2014, 11:15:44 pm
The Network '14 route listing has been added to the ACT Bus website: http://actbus.net/network-2014/

Please let us know if you spot any errors


any ideas about nightrides? wonder if there will be two 971 at different times...  :-\
with regards to directions of 726, this is what the website says
"City West Station (L) Marcus Clarke (R) Alinga (R) Northbourne - City Bus Station Platform 10 (L) London (L) Commonwealth (C) Capital (C) Adelaide (L) Cotter (L) Streeton (L) Namatjira (L) Parkinson (L) Brierly (R) Hindmarsh "

It should be Left Namatjira, RIGHT Parkinson, not LEFT Parkinson

Barry Drive

August 26, 2014, 10:41:29 am #180 Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:56:00 pm by ACTbusspotter
Reports of all errors, large or small, are what's wanted. But if only one error can be found, then that's a good result, considering how many routes there are.

As for Nightriders, don't know yet. There's no guarantee there will be any at all, or that ACTION will operate them.

Buzz Killington

If i had to guess on night riders, I would assume they will be renumbered to the 990 series, which is otherwise only used for the Canberra Show (which can be renumbered to the 970 series) and the Bruce Stadium Shuttles (for which route numbers are now rarely, if ever, used on destos - and may not even be designated with a number internally by ACTION anymore)

King of Buses

Would be confusing, but 390 series perhaps? They could match up numbers so 391 services same places as Christmas day service 91 (North Tuggeranong).

Barry Drive

August 26, 2014, 03:20:28 pm #183 Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:59:49 pm by ACTbusspotter
Route numbers have to be assigned in order for them to be classed as "route services" - which in turn enables fares to be collected. Since Stadium services are charters (free to the passenger), route numbers are not assigned.

Although, Nightrider services don't need a route "number". They could just as easily be assigned a letter - or a mix.

The Love Guru

August 26, 2014, 05:44:44 pm #184 Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 03:18:54 pm by Barry Drive
Seriously people, it's a ... number!

King of Buses

August 26, 2014, 07:10:29 pm #185 Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 03:19:36 pm by Barry Drive
Quote from: The Love Guru on August 26, 2014, 05:44:44 pm
Seriously people, it's a ... number!


Not much love in that comment Mr Love Guru...

Besides, you wouldn't want to confuse people by having multiple routes with the same number (cough...old 12 - 15's cough...).

Barry Drive

August 26, 2014, 07:14:41 pm #186 Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:43:57 pm by ACTbusspotter
Cough .... 981 .... cough.

In any case, the numbering system has strayed so far from the Network 98 concept  that they should start over at the next available opportunity.

Time to bring back 3-digit route numbers!

smitho

Couple of spelling errors in Nxtbus ...which I assume have been imported over from Google:-

"Callum Street" should read "Callam Street"

"Yarra Glenn" should read "Yarra Glen".

Hopefully they'll be corrected for Network 14.

Buzz Killington

The problem isn't with Google

smitho

Noticed recently that Google used the incorrect "Callum" for "Callam"....hence my suggestion.

743

Quote from: smitho on August 27, 2014, 07:50:00 pm
Noticed recently that Google used the incorrect "Callum" for "Callam"....hence my suggestion.

Bus stop names are supplied to Google by the operator concerned. You'll notice that the streets on Google are spelt correctly (along the streets themselves). If a stop name is wrong, it's ACTION's (or whoever is responsible) fault.

smitho

Quote from: 743 on August 27, 2014, 07:54:20 pm
Bus stop names are supplied to Google by the operator concerned. You'll notice that the streets on Google are spelt correctly (along the streets themselves). If a stop name is wrong, it's ACTION's (or whoever is responsible) fault.


That is good to know - I admire Google products generally and find them difficult to fault.

smitho

Wondered if anyone has spotted hard copy Network 14 timetables yet?

Noticed that the timetable shelving racks had been removed from the ACTION Information Centre shortly before it was reopened, so may be they are reducing the distribution of hard copy TT's?

Buzz Killington

I think they're only doing the two bus books (weekday/weekend).

Bus 400

You can only pick up the bus books from Canberra Connect shopfronts. Because when a tourist hops off a bus at Jolimont, the first place you go to Dickson RTA.

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 400 on August 27, 2014, 08:26:51 pm
You can only pick up the bus books from Canberra Connect shopfronts. Because when a tourist hops off a bus at Jolimont, the first place you go to Dickson RTA.


Apparently they'll be available at MyWay recharge agents too. But I don't care, I've got my copies  >:D

ajw373

August 27, 2014, 08:32:59 pm #196 Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:42:04 am by ajw373
Quote from: King of Buses on August 27, 2014, 08:29:40 pm
Apparently they'll be available at MyWay recharge agents too. But I don't care, I've got my copies  >:D


Are the pages stuck together yet?

Seriously though they should be available in more places.

Buzz Killington

Yeah, they need to be. No doubt the print run has been significantly reduced in the face of technology but it's important to ensure adequate supply for those who need or prefer a print version. I much prefer the 'bus book' format!

Quote from: Bus 400 on August 27, 2014, 08:26:51 pm
Because when a tourist hops off a bus at Jolimont, the first place you go to Dickson RTA.


I lol'd

Skitube

anybody knows if there are printed copies of the network map? the one in the booklets is very.....simplistic...

Barry Drive

Transit Graphics have said there will be (via Facebook).