April 24, 2019, 06:52:36 am

New Artics for ACTION

Started by Barry Drive, February 18, 2010, 09:45:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

smitho

Quote from: ajw373 on July 13, 2012, 05:46:25 pm
Happy to say, based on the new picture my fears from months ago were unfounded. Doesn't look to bad. Think however we could probably loose the "easy access" and "climate... for comfort" writting. For one by now everyone knows a green bus is both these, and two don't think it looks right on the CB80 which curves where it is written compared to the CB60. Also interesting how far back the aircon pod in the front unit is.


It's interesting that many 'ordinary punters' assume that ACTION's green colored bus fleet is all-CNG.  Not surprising when you think about it.

I suspect CNG will be 'the long term way of the future' for the Australian bus fleet, including ACTION.

Long term price trends for diesel fuel are not good whereas Australia has plentiful, cheap natural gas.

volvo

That's a good point, Smitho, but it should  be observed that Diesel buses are possible to sell after they are too old/damaged etc, whereas CNG ones are not, because most people don't have a CNG fiilling station hanging around their yard.

ajw373

Also conisdering most (all actually) of our buses come from Europe we need to be looking at European trends to see where the future is. At present it would appear that CNG has peaked and the future is in the hybrid market.

If I were to crystal ball gaze I would say that hybrids will appear in more numbers here soon, especuially with ADL taking over Customs. In Britan ADL is clearly one of their big two with hybrids now appearing in large numbers throughout Britain. In London hybrids are making up between 10-20% of all new deliveries.

LWF

Yep, I agree. Similar trends exist in the U.S. regarding hybrids, with most new buses purchased since 2008 at large operators typically being hybrids. We are very behind the times when it comes to hybrids.

smitho

Yes, agree that hybrids have a promising future. But compared with Europe and elsewhere, Australia is in a pretty unique situation of having abundant, cheap natural gas, and with huge new gas developments in prospect on the north-west shelf.

If diesel gets expensive enough, we could see a resurgence of interest in gas buses, which would in turn expand and improve the 2nd hand market for such buses.

Having said that, the fuel efficiency of newly released diesel buses such as ACTION's steer tags and MAN diesels seems excllent, to some extent neutralising the trend rise in diesel costs.

Buzz Killington

506 left Woden early this morning. Off to Belco to get ready for service I believe.

Bus 400

Having had a close up of Bus 506, for those who are curious. Bus 506 has the same side view cameras on both sides of the front section (same as 491-505). But they are blended into the black covering. Also it looks like the low floor section will have perimeter seating such as what the steer tags have. Also she looks a beauty close up & sounds great even at low speeds when she gets going. But just watch out for alarms when on this bus, as when she went for a short drive car alarms started going off.

It was all perfectly legal & I was in the right spot at the right time.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on July 26, 2012, 10:10:16 pm
Also it looks like the low floor section will have perimeter seating such as what the steer tags have.


I can confirm this. There is an extra set of perimeter seats after the wheelchair bays. But unlike the 14.5s, there is only one set each side of two seats each.

It also has back-to-back seats over the front wheel arches rather than a single seat with luggage racks behind. Luggage rack is located directly behind driver.

smitho

Any idea whether they have a manual retarder stick like the snags?  (They come in very handy).

Barry Drive


Bus 400

Bus 506 will be launched tomorrow.

Barry Drive

The message coming from ACTION and the Chief Minister (see the Media Release) is only mentioning the original order of 20 artics - due to be delivered by March 2013.

Perhaps the contract variation for the additional 13 has taken longer than planned so dates are not yet known.

Snorzac

Sighted 507 on the Barton Hwy today about 12pm

smitho

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on August 01, 2012, 01:34:13 pm
The message coming from ACTION and the Chief Minister (see the Media Release) is only mentioning the original order of 20 artics - due to be delivered by March 2013.

Perhaps the contract variation for the additional 13 has taken longer than planned so dates are not yet known.


The figure of 33 new artics is referred to in the article about the Scania artics in the latest 'Chronicle'....from memory, they're quoting Mr Roncon.

ajw373

Quote from: smitho on August 09, 2012, 12:50:59 am
The figure of 33 new artics is referred to in the article about the Scania artics in the latest 'Chronicle'....from memory, they're quoting Mr Roncon.


The article actually talks about 20 new artics and 33 old.

smitho

507 now tucked away at Woden Depot.

At this stage, Tugg Depot not anticipating Scania artic deliveries until December, but with some newer Renaults cascading from Belco prior to then.

CNG

in relation to the mk 2 artics do they still have a few years service left?

smitho

Quote from: CNG on August 10, 2012, 08:16:12 pm
in relation to the mk 2 artics do they still have a few years service left?


Not aware of any official comment on this, but reasonable to expect some artics (mk 1s and 2s) to remain in service for a year or two at least, depending on the rate of delivery of the Scania artics and future requirements for artics as set by the current network, and more importantly, Network 13.

Mark 1s would not automatically be retired before Mark 2s.

Snorzac

There are 33 artics due for delivery before next June (I think), there is 33 PR180.2s currently in service.

Bidgee

I'm assuming that 506 is on the road now? Will be in Canberra on the 25th of this month and would be great to get a photo of it since I keep missing them when they pass though Wagga!

Bus 400

Quote from: Bidgee on August 11, 2012, 09:50:17 pm
I'm assuming that 506 is on the road now? Will be in Canberra on the 25th of this month and would be great to get a photo of it since I keep missing them when they pass though Wagga!


The trainers only started training last week. So it may be a few weeks off yet.

smitho

Quote from: Mayor McCheese on August 11, 2012, 04:50:46 pm
There are 33 artics due for delivery before next June (I think), there is 33 PR180.2s currently in service.


Whether 33 artics would be sufficient for Network 13 remains to be seen.

Barry Drive

Quote from: smitho on August 10, 2012, 12:21:34 am
At this stage, Tugg Depot not anticipating Scania artic deliveries until December, but with some newer Renaults cascading from Belco prior to then.
What have you heard? If T not getting any until December, that suggests that B will get the first 11, since there need to be at least 12 in service by end of December to meet DDA.

Quote from: Bidgee on August 11, 2012, 09:50:17 pm
I'm assuming that 506 is on the road now? Will be in Canberra on the 25th of this month and would be great to get a photo of it since I keep missing them when they pass though Wagga!
There is an outside chance that 506 would be in service by then, but can't say for sure. Anyway, there will be about 3 buses coming per month until March. Plenty of opportunity to see one in Wagga Wagga - keep an eye on @ACTIONbuses or @ACTbusspotter or @ACTBus on twitter for reports of when each is due for delivery (assuming ACTION keeps up the reports).

Bus 400

On a side thought, in 12 days time the last (regular season) home game for the Raiders is on. Now this is a top 5 articulated bus charter for ACTION. So you may see 10 or so Renault articulated buses. Well the next time the Raiders play a (regular) home game next year. How many Renault articulated artics do you think we will see compared to Scania's? As there should be at least 18-19 Scania articulated buses at ACTION.

Bidgee

Got them on follow but I'm just never in the right spot or find out a day later as I've missed a tweet or post.

Was lucky to have had a trip planned when the Brumbies were playing against NZ I think but was buggered after photographing another event but still got some.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ACTION_-_BUS_719_-_Ansair_bodied_Renault_PR180-2_MkII.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ACTION_-_BUS_702_-_Ansair_bodied_Renault_PR180-2_MkII.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ACTION_-_BUS_716_-_Ansair_bodied_Renault_PR180-2_MkII.jpg

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Bus 400 on August 12, 2012, 01:35:38 pm
On a side thought, in 12 days time the last (regular season) home game for the Raiders is on. Now this is a top 5 articulated bus charter for ACTION. So you may see 10 or so Renault articulated buses. Well the next time the Raiders play a (regular) home game next year. How many Renault articulated artics do you think we will see compared to Scania's? As there should be at least 18-19 Scania articulated buses at ACTION.


It'd be great to see a lot of (quality) Renault artic photos being posted on the forums as they near the end of their service - would like to bolster the number of their photos in the gallery.

Bus 400

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on August 01, 2012, 01:34:13 pm
Perhaps the contract variation for the additional 13 has taken longer than planned so dates are not yet known.


By the looks of things, this financial years budget is yet to pass through the Legislative Assembly.

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on August 12, 2012, 04:03:59 pm
It'd be great to see a lot of (quality) Renault artic photos being posted on the forums as they near the end of their service - would like to bolster the number of their photos in the gallery.


Suggested photo location for artics against a terrific bush & mountain back-drop....intersection of Drakeford Drive and Tharwa Drive. A few dead running artics turn right off Tharwa Drive here between 1610 and 1620 en route to Civic for peak period Xpresso runs.

Bonnerbus

So any news yet on when Mr Big Bendy is getting on the road for revenue services? Seems to take a while......

The Love Guru

Driver training should commence very shortly. Expect to see it on the road in the AM and PM peaks only for a while as it will be used for driver training on the type during the day.

smitho

Walking through 506 the other day, I noticed that as I approached the back of the bus, the distance between the top of my head and the roof gets pretty cosy; in fact my head was touching the roof at one point.

I'm only 5'10", so taller people will definitely need to take care if walking in the trailer section.

I can't say I've heard of this being an issue with the Adelaide artics and wondered whether there may be something in ACTION's customisation that results in the cosy headroom situation.

Bus 400

Bus 507 departed Woden Depot either today or yesterday.

Barry Drive

... or has it just been moved?

Bus 400

August 21, 2012, 09:33:40 pm #183 Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 05:40:09 pm by Bus 400
Quote from: ACTbusspotter on August 21, 2012, 06:14:02 pm
... or has it just been moved?


Didn't notice any green, but a little hard while trying to teach a so & so driver how to form one lane.

EDIT-It has returned.

Buzz Killington

Couldn't see it last night when I went past but it was back this morning.

Barry Drive

Looks like 508 was delivered today - two new artics now at Woden.

Busnerd

Smitho, I've often wondered how Custom ever got away with the Combo Scanias, even the older ones had similar issues, whilst the roof in the older ones wasn't as low, the panel above the rear door is shockingly low and pretty much any person almost hits their head on it, in particular the STA 2111 had yellow and red tape stuck on the rear door panel, which pretty much covers them if anyone hurts themselves, I would assume it is similar regarding the low headroom from the turntable to the rear of the new CB80 Combo's, presumably if they have plenty of caution or mind your head signs etc. then I think it covers them....Personally I've only ever hit my head trying to stand up in a window seat on a VST, luckily it was an early model one so the panels were plastic, i think my head just bowed the plastic in a bit, the new ones are stainless steel i think

King of Buses

Big Bendy (506), Flexy Lexy (507). Whats next? Bendy Wendy for 508? ???

smitho

Quote from: Busnerd on August 23, 2012, 09:51:59 am
Smitho, I've often wondered how Custom ever got away with the Combo Scanias, even the older ones had similar issues, whilst the roof in the older ones wasn't as low, the panel above the rear door is shockingly low and pretty much any person almost hits their head on it, in particular the STA 2111 had yellow and red tape stuck on the rear door panel, which pretty much covers them if anyone hurts themselves, I would assume it is similar regarding the low headroom from the turntable to the rear of the new CB80 Combo's, presumably if they have plenty of caution or mind your head signs etc. then I think it covers them....Personally I've only ever hit my head trying to stand up in a window seat on a VST, luckily it was an early model one so the panels were plastic, i think my head just bowed the plastic in a bit, the new ones are stainless steel i think

The area where I hit my head was at the rear vent section of the trailer, but anyone approach 6' in height would hit their head on the ceiling if they didn't bend a bit when moving about the rear section of the trailer....I think it is when the punters get up to leave the bus that they can be caught off guard and about overhead clearances.

Buzz Killington

ACTBusspotter reported on Twitter that another artic has arrived - probably 509.

Barry Drive

510 arrived yesterday or today. It has been named "Walter Curly Griffin".

smitho

I saw a Scania artic operating an Xpresso 710 through Civic this morning - too far away to identify bus number.

smitho

Only 509 and 510 in store at Woden Depot at lunchtime today.

particleman

I saw 506 this morning doing a southbound 58. About a week after the Katy Gallagher photos, I saw it doing a southbound 51.

Are they using the newbies on early morning (0630-0730) Gungahlin routes for a certain reason, or is it just a coincidence?

Bonnerbus

A better question is why arent they being used on high demand high frequency routes (like 200 and 300 series)? I caught the evening 57 the other day on 506 and it was half empty. Also the 51 after 5pm is an artic and is also half empty while the 200 is packed to the rafters.

Barry Drive

So why aren't more people taking the 51 instead? But to answer your question: they are being used on existing artic shifts. Changes may occur when the shifts are re organised.

Bonnerbus

Because no one wants to be stuck on a bus that stops at every stop. The 200 has too many stops as it is!

I can understand using them on existing artic routes, however one would have thought that the reason that artics are generally not used on 200 and 300 series routes is due to their lack of low floor accessiblity. With the new ones, this problem no longer exists.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bonnerbus on September 21, 2012, 02:22:48 pm
Because no one wants to be stuck on a bus that stops at every stop.
But in reality, that doesn't happen. Since the limited stopping pattern only applies along Northbourne Ave (just about), it is the traffic flow which determines how quickly any bus will get to Gungahlin, not how many bus stops it services.

If more people caught the 51/52/59 instead if the 200, the over-crowding problems might not occur.

Quote from: Bonnerbus on September 21, 2012, 02:22:48 pm
.. however one would have thought that the reason that artics are generally not used on 200 and 300 series routes is due to their lack of low floor accessiblity. With the new ones, this problem no longer exists.
Yes, but until the shifts are re-organised, they must continue to be allocated to existing artic shifts.

Barry Drive

"Deed of variation" to the contract with Scania has been posted. Unfortunately, it does not include any detail - such as a revised delivery schedule - other than to add 13 more buses to the contract.

smitho

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on September 21, 2012, 02:47:24 pm
But in reality, that doesn't happen. Since the limited stopping pattern only applies along Northbourne Ave (just about), it is the traffic flow which determines how quickly any bus will get to Gungahlin, not how many bus stops it services.

If more people caught the 51/52/59 instead if the 200, the over-crowding problems might not occur.
Yes, but until the shifts are re-organised, they must continue to be allocated to existing artic shifts.


Usage of artics on ACTION services is primarily driven by their use as school buses; don't expect this will change with the replacement of Renault artics with Scania artics.