NXTBUS - Real Time Passenger Information System

Started by Barry Drive, July 10, 2013, 03:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

Work on installing the RTPIS equipment has begun at B depot. Looks like they will initially do an install on each vehicle make - so far an Irisbus, PR100.2 & Scania artic are being modified.

Buzz Killington

Gadgets

they are mounting map holder and a radio to the seat behind the driver so they can get a uni student report in where the bus is ;-)

Barry Drive

Every bus will be equipped with:

• display screen
  • saloon speakers (for next stop announcements)
  • passenger counters above doors
  • driver console/screen.

And if you're keen-eyed, you will notice (another) antenna device along the roof-line -- mounted on the near side above the front door.

Barry Drive

Official announcement is that 30 vehicles will be fitted out for the trail phase. I assume this will cover all vehicle makes.

The ones fitted so far are: 894 314 511.

Bus 400

The driver screen will display the route in a GPS style. The passenger display will show the next few stops & what other buses depart from that stop.

Barry Drive

Installation has continued this week. It looks like their plan is to install the aerial, wiring + the speakers and fit the remaining equipment (screen, driver's console and passenger counters) later.

Many buses have been done, so it may be hard to compile a complete list; 474 146 and 959 are the latest sightings. It is likely that some MANs and a PR100.3 have been fitted, but I've yet to see any.

Bus 400

This is what the passenger screen will look like:

Then for those drivers/nosey gunzels, this is what the drivers will see:

The news item can be found at http://youtu.be/f6j0rnzxuZM (Feel free to nominate this filming for an Academy Award).

Barry Drive

I hope the various screen information will be more accurate when the system is implemented for real. Since when is Northbourne Ave called "Fern Hill"?, and route 2 doesn't service Antill St (unless they're counting the single school-day only service). Not sure about the City Bus Stn routes either: can't see 30 31 and if 59 is listed, then 50 51 & 52 should be as well.

Good thing is that it does appear to have the option of turning off the turn by turn route directions.

The Love Guru

The screen looks like Haydon Dr Belconnen bound

Barry Drive

It looks to be the route 39 as shown on the passenger screen. Street to the left is Murdoch St, Morphett St to the right. The 39 in the top right and the time (including the +2min) all support this, but "Fern Hill" doesn't.

The Love Guru

Buzz Killington

Will the passenger counter be used to inform the driver when their bus is at capacity?

Would be even better if it could use that info to automatically update the external destination sign to "Bus Full - Set Down Only" or similar.

Barry Drive

We'll find out soon, but I believe that's the plan for the Hanover and Mobitec destos. May also update the online info.

Bus 400

If they really wanted to get technical, once a bus is at capacity they could disable the Tag On & cash sale on the MyWay readers.

Lachie

Quote from: Buzz Killington on July 27, 2013, 12:05:01 PM
Will the passenger counter be used to inform the driver when their bus is at capacity?

Would be even better if it could use that info to automatically update the external destination sign to "Bus Full - Set Down Only" or similar.
That Is Actually Quite A Good Idea

The Love Guru

How accurate do you think the pax counter is going to be? I'm sure it's not a fool proof system so I doubt very much that it'll change the desto to full. May be used more for working out where the paper ticket holders are getting off. Still not convinced this system was a wise way to spend money when the fleet is in such poor condition and barely meeting DDA.

Barry Drive

I would expect the passenger counter to be the most reliable part of the system, since it is technology used widely elsewhere.

The ETA of any route will be highly dependent upon the accuracy of the existing timetables and on having a reliable GPS signal. (And my experience of waiting for a Cat in Perth watching the time click up and down continuously for 5 or more minutes doesn't fill me with confidence.)

The Love Guru

It still can't count the number of seats available accurately due to prams and wheelchairs.

Lachie

Was On 108 This Arvo (Good Advertising :3) And It Had New Speakers Around The Bus Driver Display (Switched Off) And Something Else Near The Door.

Bus 400

Quote from: Lachie on August 07, 2013, 04:50:58 PM
..... Something Else Near The Door.

That is that passenger counter mentioned above.

The Love Guru

Did my training on the system today. Watch this space as the trial of equipment will begin soon.

smitho

Quote from: The Love Guru on August 12, 2013, 01:58:55 PM
Did my training on the system today. Watch this space as the trial of equipment will begin soon.

"NXT" Bus must've been dreamed up by a Kiwi seeing there is no vowel in the "word" NXT!

Snorzac

410 is in service with the system on, on select shifts!!

Buzz Killington

Not bad.

Presumably we going to see arrival times for each of those points on the screens once the system proper is up and running? Otherwise it's just a list of destinations.

Snorzac

It shows time till arrival, seemed to have missed it in this photo!

Skitube

Girrawheen? Girrahween?

MODERATOR NOTE: Do not quote photos

The Love Guru

It is a TRIAL people. If the only issue you find is a spelling error then it would be a miracle.

How about spending some of your time on real issues.

ajw373

Quote from: The Love Guru on August 23, 2013, 06:39:05 AM
It is a TRIAL people. If the only issue you find is a spelling error then it would be a miracle.

Trails are the time where bugs, such as this should be ironed out. In this case I wouldn't say the spelling mistake is the bug, moreso there must be a QA issue in the process behind it that has failed and should be fixed so that there is no process fail when it gets rolled out network wide.

Quote from: The Love Guru on August 23, 2013, 06:39:05 AM

Here here!

Bus 400

Somebody's wearing their cranky pants today.

On a serious note though, using the new SMS service. I've found some routes listed at stops that they don't actually stop at. Also confusing bus stop names. Once I clarify something, I'll mention the bugs.

smitho

belcodriver

Quote from: ajw373 on August 23, 2013, 07:15:51 AM
Trails are the time where bugs, such as this should be ironed out. In this case I wouldn't say the spelling mistake is the bug, moreso there must be a QA issue in the process behind it that has failed and should be fixed so that there is no process fail when it gets rolled out network wide.

No trails are places you walk.

Barry Drive

@TAMSmediaroom reports that the display screens were installed at City Bus Station today.

View the Media release on ACTBus website.

lukeo25

I noticed whilst passing through Hughes some stops had the new style of blades installed (the ones with the bus number on them), I'll look out in around Chifley & surrounding areas when I get the time to look for them!

Buzz Killington

I saw a new speaker in 716 today - towards the front, on the interior ad panels. It was white.

Not sure if its NXTBUS related - would be odd to fit out a bus that's about to be retired but the Renault artics with speakers have always been black, roof-mounted Clarions.

Barry Drive

It's not new, and it's not for NXTBUS (which has black speakers). But I have no idea what it's for.

Bus 400

For those that aren't aware (I only noticed today) that the SMS system is actually sending recipients the real time (within a few minutes) that the bus (with NXTBUS installed & turned on) is due.

ajw373

Does the SMS give any indication to differentiate between a real time figure and a timetable figure?

Bus 400

One of the texts I received had a * next to the later time. But at this state, all SMS have that "timetable information only"

In a later stage of the NXTBUS set up, this may change though.

Barry Drive

So far I've seen "WB" "*WB" and "W". Based on the small sample to go on, * may denote 5 mins or more late.

Buzz Killington

I was on a NXTBUS equipped bus today - it seemed to be having some issues. The voice alerts weren't playing for quite a while, and the screen showed a photo of 508 with "Bus on Diversion" text underneath.

Barry Drive

From my experience, this is due to the bus stop footprints. If the bus doesn't pass closely enough to the stop (or if the stop location is not correctly defined) the system immediately thinks the stop was missed and activates the "bus on diversion" screen (which turns off the announcements). It should reset when the bus stops at the next stop, but this doesn't always work.

(It could do with a manual override, like the Wayfarer has.)

The Love Guru

It does have a manual override. Sms me for details.

Buzz Killington

Makes sense. The NXTBUS display was up while the bus was at Tuggeranong Interchange but it went off pretty much as soon as we left. It (and the announcements) didn't come back until after the Beasley/Athllon stop.

smitho

First Scania gas bus has recently been kitted out for Nxtbus...370 from memory.

Other Tuggy buses now fitted include 400, 401, 402 and 441.

Barry Drive

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on October 04, 2013, 03:40:05 PM
So far I've seen "WB" "*WB" and "W". Based on the small sample to go on, * may denote 5 mins or more late.
No. * does not denote 5 mins late. My latest theory is that it means arrival time uncertain.

I've also now seen just "B" (there are 3 non low floor buses fitted).

Buzz Killington

Barry Drive

Every bus will have a screen. In the PR100.2s, screen is behind driver (where the old display case was); in the PR100.3s, screen is intended to be mounted just behind the front doors - have not yet seen 108 fully equipped though. Darts and Agoralines: screens will be mounted above the aisle.