Renaults a-go-go partie deux

Started by Barry Drive, June 21, 2014, 01:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triumph

If the PR100.3 withdrawals are for temporary storage, that seems sensible as the older PR100.2 could be more intensively used until worn out or uneconomically maintainable.

Sylvan's suggestion re parts availablility is causing PR100.3 withdrawals is possible, if the vehicles were required for cannibilisation, but that doesn't explain withdrawal of the 6 youngest.

My earlier curiosity is thus not satisfied, as quite a few PR100.3, from oldest to newest have already been permanently withdrawn in recent years.

Service entry of PR100.2 span from Aug 1990 to June 1993 with 900, the current oldest, in Feb 1993.
Whereas service entry of PR100.3 span from June 1993 (991) to Aug 1996. Current PR100.3 span from May 1994 (107) to January 1995 (125).
So all the PR100.3 were younger than any PR100.2 at service entry. As such it could be expected that (with the possible exception of a major uneconomically repairable failure/writeoff) all would outlast the PR100.2 but this is far from the case with 17 (including 6 of the newest) already retired before the recent withdrawals. Are some of those 17 also stored for possible re-use?

In essence, what is wrong with the PR100.3?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well due to Renault stopping the production of parts quite a few years ago, the cannibalism has been necessary, but the choice of which buses they do it with is most often either random, or they withdraw to strip due to a part they can't replace. I have wondered myself why they don't do it in the numerical order, and it seems this is the main reason. The younger buses sometimes just die off faster than the older.

Many people/drivers don't like the 3's for many reasons - quite like the Iris, and although I know nothing about the mechanic side of them, I know someone who is and they've said quite a few things about them.

With the storing, I would say that's mostly due to there being no room left in either of the two depots due to all the new Volgrens, at least while we wait for Woden to get rebuild.

triumph

There was recent doubt that 913 is out of service. Definitely not (yet) as seen today mid afternoon at Westfield Station, Belconnen, in service.

Barry Drive

With 9 new artics still to enter service this year (an unknown number of which are destined for Belconnen Depot), Bus 913 will remain on "withdrawal watch".

Given the limited space at B depot, good chance it may be a 1.5 to 1 replacement strategy.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I'm pretty sure I saw it on Tuesday or Wednesday this week in the City. It's hard to remember every number I see during the course of a week, but if not I'll certainly keep my eyes out and let you guys know if I see it again genuinely.

Sylvan Loves Buses

913 was spotted at 5:21pm passing through City Bus Interchange today by yours truly with route 40 on its display.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Past Tuggeranong Depot on my way to Queanbeyan on Saturday, noticed most of the latest removed from service P2s right up the back up again the fence. I know that on the wiki it says they've been decommissioned, but are they really, or are they just being stored in this temporary spot waiting for the new Woden depot because of there being no space anywhere else for them at the graveyard or whatever?

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on October 29, 2018, 02:17:07 AM
I know that on the wiki it says they've been decommissioned, but are they really, or are they just being stored in this temporary spot waiting for the new Woden depot because of there being no space anywhere else for them at the graveyard or whatever?

I do believe the wiki says that those PR100.2s (plus the PR100.3s which are also there) have been withdrawn from service, not decommissioned.

Sylvan Loves Buses

so those don't mean the same thing in this case?

Busnerd

No, withdrawn from service means just that, withdrawn from service meaning they are sitting around not doing anything, however are not decommissioned, meaning they retain their registration and are there in case they need them, such as a shortage of buses, or in the current case, keeping them handy in case they're needed for the new network.

Once they are decommissioned, the registration is cancelled and generally parts are taken off them as well including removal of ticket machines and anything else useful, and sent to a storage yard or sent to scrap/sale.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Thank you for clearing that up for me, makes much better sense now. Sorry for the previous comment, it was poorly worded.

So given that, would it be wise to list them anyway in my tally book for next year for that possibility that they might return (even if only for a day)?

Busnerd

What happens in your tally book is your business.