Scania K230UB CNG Demonstrator (BUS 490)

Started by Snorzac, February 09, 2010, 11:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snorzac

'Chris_Guru' reports that a Scania CNG trial bus has just left Kingsgrove depot. From what I have gathered from another driver it is actually on it's way to Canberra. The bus is a Custom Coaches CB60 Evo II and trials a new Scania gas system, apparently it will see operational service in Canberra.

It looks like an ACTION MAN 18.310 except for the Scania badge on the front and the fact that it is all white except for the area around the left head light which is green and there is an orange stripe next to that.

For the drivers wondering what the 'Koala Trial' is, this is it.

If I can figure out how to save the picture on the memory card of my phone I will post it.

Irisbus Rider

I'll try and attach the photo;

Looks nice; can't wait to have a ride on it, hopefully it'll be quicker than a K230!

Note: Attachment has expired.

Trolleybusracer

That looks quite bad, looks as it had a accident and someone just threw a panel from a 18.310 on!

Snorzac

Ed confirms that this bus is in fact now at Tuggeranong depot.

Snorzac

and I have it on good word that it will be with ACTION for 12 months

Busnerd

Buzz Killington

Interesting, and good to hear it's gonna be around for 12 months!

Commence fleet number speculation!

Snorzac

possibly 17#? I don't know, apparently it is called the koala trial because after it leaves ACTION it will travel all over Australia.

Buzz Killington

It's good that we're actually getting an evaluation vehicle for more than a few weeks. Just like the olden days!

Barry Drive

Quote from: Buzz Killington on February 09, 2010, 05:26:32 PM
Commence fleet number speculation!
My guesses: 176, 488 or 500.

Snorzac

Apparently it will be in service late next week. That is if it doesn't need to be lowered. Apparently it rides higher than a CNG MAN, that is high

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, that's not good! Scania engines (especially the new K**UB series) occupy a lot of space at the rear of the bus due to the way the engine is mounted, hence why you have to climb numerous stairs to get to the backseat of a Scania, so that doesn't surprise me. The last thing ACTION wants to do is spend a lot of cash allowing for a single bus to get around the depot.

Which makes me wonder, did they eventually fit the Gas MANs in the bus wash?

Sir Pompously

belcodriver

Sorry if this seems a bit thick but what's the point of this evaluation? Is it to see if ACTION wants to buy some of these? I thought there weren't going to be any new gas buses. Or is it for Scania to see how it's bus goes in Australia?

Also what's the significance of BUS 176? With the Darts going up to BUS 156 if they wanted to follow on from there surely BUS 157 would be the go.

Barry Drive

Quote from: belcodriver on February 11, 2010, 11:53:17 AM
Sorry if this seems a bit thick but what's the point of this evaluation? Is it to see if ACTION wants to buy some of these? I thought there weren't going to be any new gas buses. Or is it for Scania to see how it's bus goes in Australia?

Also what's the significance of BUS 176? With the Darts going up to BUS 156 if they wanted to follow on from there surely BUS 157 would be the go.
I was wondering the same thing - but if ACTION get it for free (or for little money), then why say no. Perhaps it's a new fuel management system which can be retro-fitted to the existing Scanias, or maybe they are getting in early for the next round of bus purchases.

As for the fleet number, 157-173 was used by the leased Hinos, 174 was used by an evaluation Volgren Scania CNG and 175 was used by what became 310.

Trolleybusracer

Snorzac

I believe Martin is right, I have been told that it is a new fuel system trial so it could very well be something that can be retrofitted. Looking at some pictures of it taken by a tuggy driver, it all seems to be ACTION specs, cab lay out is a brand new layout which drivers should see in the 14.5s.

Sir Pompously

Driving past it tonight I looked and mentioned to myself (Going crazy again) that it must have been designed with ACTION in mind, foglights, single rear door, hanover LED destination etc. Just could not get a look to see if it was Rainbow Pride seating and what not as it was dark! Looks nice, just needs a few ACTION and Scania Logos on the side and rear to give it a demonstrator feel.

Snorzac

The interior is ACTION spec, I think it even has a chin bar on that seat opposite the rear door

euronymous

If anyone involved with the purchasing of buses at Action has any sense, they will steer well clear of this bus and its ilk. It's enough to make any self respecting mechanic cringe.

I highly doubt there will be any retrofitting of fuel systems going on. Anyone who says that clearly has no idea of the immense amount of work required to do such a thing.

Barry Drive

Quote from: euronymous on February 13, 2010, 05:46:39 AM
If anyone involved with the purchasing of buses at Action has any sense, they will steer well clear of this bus and its ilk. It's enough to make any self respecting mechanic cringe.
Shall we perhaps take a look at the track record of ACTION's bus purchases: Dennis Dart, Irisbus Agoraline, Scania L94 CNG....

euronymous

Of course, how could we forget any of those glorious specimens of engineering.

That bus raises it to another whole new level. It's in no way a good thing.

Simes

There are plenty of examples of demo's that didn't take - Merc O405 (how silly), Leyland Lynx. Interesting that Scania seem to be going to such lengths to get some business back from ACTION....

belcodriver

It's in the Belco workshops ATM. It's had green ACTION stickers put on the back and sides. It also has stickers that say the licenced loading is 45 seated, 8 standing which seems ridiculously low. Perhaps the leading 1 fell off.

Snorzac

This bus now carries the fleet number 490.

Buzz Killington

Snorzac

no, 'euronymous' might be able to help us with that

Buzz Killington

Hang on.. if we're getting 24 Scania K320UB's, that takes us up to 487.. if this is 490, what's the plan for 488 and 489?

Irisbus Rider

I thought we were getting 26 K320s? I've heard so many conflicting reports, first it was 27, then 26, and now 24......?

Buzz Killington

I was going off the '24' stated in another thread, but I've had confirmation today that it is indeed 26. (464 - 489)

Buzz Killington

We have obtained some further details on this vehicle which have been added to the Wiki.

Wiki Article: http://actbus.net/wiki/index.php?title=BUS_490_%282%29

Irisbus Rider

A K230? Ugh, I can't see how the diesel K230 could get any slower, ha ha!

Nah, hopefully Scania will be able to improve their CNG engines somewhat, to at least a satisfactory level of acceleration.

Buzz Killington

For anyone who wants a look at the bus, it was parked between the sheds and workshops at Tuggeranong this morning, with an unobstructed view (through the fence) available from Athllon Dr.

Snorzac

Sir Pompously

Well, it is according to Dave from ATDB. However from what we have been told it is a K230. They have been known to make mistakes, but it is not infact that until we have solid proof that it is that.

Buzz Killington

My well-placed source tells me it is a K230.

Irisbus Rider

'PoweredbyCNG' is a fairly reputable source, he definately knows his engines (except when he talks about the OC500LE, ha ha), but then again, he hasn't seen the bus, so call me a skeptic, but I'll believe the info we've been supplied until it can be proven otherwise......

Then again, a K270 would be much nicer than a K230, hands down!

PoweredByCNG

Scania is currently offering two power ratings for the OC9-series CNG engine - 270hp and 305hp.  The 270hp rating is coded OC9 G04 270 and is used for twin-axle rigid buses.  The 305hp rating is coded OC9 G05 305 and is used for articulated, tri-axle, or optionally twin-axle rigid buses.  The previous CNG offerings were associated with the 4-series platform - the OC9 G02 260 for rigid buses and the OC9 G03 300 for articulated buses.  The torque rating for the new engines is so far unreleased, but I estimate 1200Nm and 1400Nm for the respective power outputs given what the competition offers.

Scania only offer a diesel engine rated at 230hp.

K230UB, K270/280UB or K310/320UB, they're all based on the same chassis.  The only difference between them is the power output of the engine, which in most cases is calibrated electronically using software.

Irisbus Rider

Hmmm, that's a very logical argument there, after reading that, the conclusion is that what you originally stated is correct.

Welcome, and thanks for the very in-depth knowledge there, it's great to find out all about the finer detail of bus engines, it's all intriguing.

Busnerd

It is a K230...

You have all the techincal jargon yes, but you've been wrong before about the OC500LE, ACTION has told us the specs and i think they would know better than a gunzell with a mind like an engine dictionary.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Busnerd on February 21, 2010, 06:05:20 PMACTION has told us the specs and i think they would know better than a gunzell with a mind like an engine dictionary.
ACTION have gotten it wrong before as well, it wouldn't surprise me if that is the case in this instance.

Then again, this is a new type of CNG, and it is on trial, so it is a rare unit, something of which 'PoweredbyCNG' may not be familar with.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll only make up my own mind only once I see the chassis plates of this bus.

PoweredByCNG

This information was provided to me by Scania themselves...

Note: Attachment has expired.

The Love Guru

Are you sure this is a production model engine? It could be a trial for a new gas engine, unless you are an insider at Scania i don't think there is any way to know. A lot of the European manufacturers use Australia to test their new products because of demanding ambient temps. That said, haven't heard of too many buses being tested, mainly trucks in the out back where they cop a pounding.

On another note, who really cares anyway! We wont be seeing any of them down here as there is no capacity on the system for more gas buses. There are also no plans for additional purchases for at least the next 3 years (until completion of the current MAN order)

PoweredByCNG

I can only go by the information I'm given.

The only way to tell is for someone to have a look at the engine itself for some identifying plates.

If it is a 230, it won't be a good performer...

Busnerd

I think everyone here is aware of the performance issues of the K230's...

Bus 400

The only information I was able to get was that this engine is a pre-production trial & the engine is being tested by Scania to determine design functionality and reliability; however no details of the engine will be disclosed. Scania advises that the engine incorporates many new features that Scania would like to introduce with future production models.

As we all know the trial is planned for 12 months in Canberra, but no information could be released on the other ports of call.

Of course most already know a bit of this, but it is good to go into deeper reasons.

Buzz Killington

As first reported by Martin, 490 was in service today.

I spotted it in City around 1.30 this afternoon.

Snorzac

I got a picture of it, not a very good one though