USA and other Imports

Started by Buzz Killington, December 28, 2007, 05:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Busn00b on May 12, 2010, 12:00:59 PM
Bus 400 - i totally agree! Cherry is not a nice flavour for a drink..

Agreed. Cherry Coke is foul.

Quote from: p_stampy on May 12, 2010, 03:39:16 PM
In the Supabarn part of the canberra centre, there is an open lollie stand that has been there for a few weeks now.

It kind of reminds me of the lollie shop that was in belco until about 1992.

It looks like you pick what you want into a bag, then it gets weighed, then you pay.

I haven't actually checked it out properly as I don't eat lollies that often.

Saw that recently. Looks to be good quality but I too don't eat lollies that much. And that is the way it works - they have scales and prices stating how much per kg the lollies are. Smells great though.

p_stampy

Spotto'd cherry 7up at IGA in civic interchage today. I left it there.

I was looking for sugar free Monster/Mother/something similar cos I was hungover ... and they dont have them anymore.

Sir Pompously

The Cherry 7Up is a new, Antioxident one with Natural Flavours. It is not so good. I prefer my soda beverages to be as un-natural as they should be.

Buzz Killington

I was in there today too, they had more soft drink fridges up on the back wall near the flavoured milks. They also had one of the Mountain Dew varieties only found in America, but I can't recall the flavour.

p_stampy

milk?

I know the drink thing near the front (thats where the 7 up was), all the alcomahols at the back, and the other near the registers.

I really don't go looking for milk though.

I cant hardly even type alcohol without feeling sick today.. lol.

Buzz Killington

Yeah, I found it a bit weird that they had more soft drinks near the milk. I usually just have a quick look at the soft drinks, american chocolate bars and the pop tarts but today decided to venture a bit further into the store to see if there was anything else I needed

bubzie

isabella plains appears to have more stuff, they've moved it all to near the soft drinks .etc now.

speaking of which, i'm currently eating peanut butter and cookie twix. om nom nom.

particleman

Quote from: Busn00b on May 12, 2010, 12:00:59 PM
I wish someone would make my patent pending orange coke....
Pardon the thread mine, but they do sell a drink like this in Germany and Austria. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezzo_Mix

p_stampy

Now that I work in woden....... is there anywhere like IGA here? I know there are coles & woolies, but neither of them sell sugar free Monster/Mother/insert energy drink name here, apart from Red Bulls.

I'm sure google can tell me, but if someone else knows... :D

lukeo25

chifley shops sell some and its only a 10 minute walk from woden

p_stampy

I've heard of this suburb you speak of... lol

Buzz Killington

lol, "diet"

Stampy - also an IGA at Lyons shops. Just keep following Launceston St (after it crosses Melrose Drive) upto the roundabout.

bubzie

i think that ...i-cant-even-remember-some-sort-of-asian shop sells some sort of red bull...

Working in woden FTW! :)

p_stampy

Yeh, i was working in civic before, at least i knew where everything was there!

Buzz Killington

Actually, might be an idea to try that Asian store in the Interchange. They'd probably sell the imported Red Bull in the small glass bottles. It's MUCH better than the stuff we have here.

p_stampy

Quote from: Buzz Killington on June 02, 2010, 04:34:57 PM
lol, "diet"

Stampy - also an IGA at Lyons shops. Just keep following Launceston St (after it crosses Melrose Drive) upto the roundabout.

Ahh yeh I remember them. I used to drive/ride my moto past there to park at work 5 yrs ago. Thanks

p_stampy

Quote from: Buzz Killington on June 02, 2010, 09:09:27 PM
Actually, might be an idea to try that Asian store in the Interchange. They'd probably sell the imported Red Bull in the small glass bottles. It's MUCH better than the stuff we have here.

Ahh I see. Ill have a look some time - thanks again

bubzie

Okiedokie, the hub at both tuggers and belco is GONEEEEEEEEE, and gunners has barely anything.

so, there goes one place that had lollies and shiz.

Buzz Killington

They've gone bust. Apparently an administrator's notice was in the paper the other day.

The Gungahlin store is now closed too, I believe.

Sir Pompously

Damn. I will miss my Japanese drinks.

Buzz Killington

Spotted Coconut M&M's in City East IGA the other day. Looks like they've expanded their range of US chocolate/candy.

Also found full-size Moro bars at the ground floor newsagency at Belco, although I also noted that 7eleven are advertising them as 'new' and 'first at 7eleven'

Finally, blackcurrant is the newest addition to the Eclipse Mints range.

lukeo25

I can now get cherry coke @ the cafe next door to my place of work in fyshwick for $2.60 :)

p_stampy

Topgear have a drink?? I bought it for Ben, reckons it tastes like mother...

Found it at IGA in civic last night.

Snorzac

I was drinking that well before i quit my job at the bakery, would be 18 months ago at least. It is similar to mother

p_stampy

Oooh ok.. I'd never seen it before lol.

p_stampy

Quote from: p_stampy on May 12, 2010, 03:39:16 PM
In the Supabarn part of the canberra centre, there is an open lollie stand that has been there for a few weeks now.

It looks like you pick what you want into a bag, then it gets weighed, then you pay.

There is one of them in belco now too.. in the new area downstairs.

Busnerd

I hate those stupid sweet doctor things

Buzz Killington

Reminds me of the good ol days when you would go to kmart before the movies and fill up one of those cups with mixed self serve lollies for a couple of bucks

Buzz Killington

So I finally checked out the Gold Creek lolly shop mentioned several times in this thread. No need to ever visit an IGA or asian store again with a range like that. Heaps of drinks and US/NZ imports.

Quote from: p_stampy on November 30, 2010, 12:24:25 PM
There is one of them in belco now too.. in the new area downstairs.

There was one in Woden too, but it didn't last long.

p_stampy

Quote from: Buzz Killington on April 25, 2011, 10:32:54 PM
So I finally checked out the Gold Creek lolly shop mentioned several times in this thread. No need to ever visit an IGA or asian store again with a range like that. Heaps of drinks and US/NZ imports.

There was one in Woden too, but it didn't last long.

outside woolies?

Buzz Killington

The Convenience Store on the corner of Bunda and Northbourne has a fair amount of american soft drink 10 packs. They also sell them individually and had a fair few imported chocolates and other items. Prawn Pringles, anyone?

lukeo25

Yesterday i went out to costco as i "had the day off" work I spotted many imported things such as
> Cherry Coke - $20 for 24 cans!!!! i bought some :)
> Dr Pepper - $30 for 24 cans (a little too expensive if you ask me)
> various american sauces and condinments (A1 steak sauce, frenches mustard and various others)
> american "skippy peanut butter" - $6 for a 1.4kg tub!!
> Lays "classic" and BBQ crisps (potato chips)
> Ruffles (chips)
and many other things!!

Busnerd

As did I at the Sydney Store.

Also $30 for 24 Dr. P's isn't expensive. That is like $1.25 each which is much better than $2.80 that some shops charge for one can

Busnerd

May I also say that yes...I DID infact purchase 120 slices of american cheese (for $19) I am not yet blind...but it is 2.27 kilo's worth!

route56

Asian grocer at the Fyshwick fresh food markets has a large range of American candy - you can see it in the window. Soft drinks too.

bubzie

Quick question.
Is there anywhere in canberra (apart from the asian grocer at fyshwick) that sells vimto? (purple can) I believe it's from the UK?

lukeo25

yes vimto is from the uk , i i think  the lolly shop in gold creek might have it,

route56

The deli at the Belco markets opposite Wiffens greengrocers has a range of US candy as you come in the door, its to the right. Some sodas are in the fridge (as well as some weird european ones). 

route56

Reject shop is stocking A&W and Big Red in 12 can packs for 15 bucks. They are running out of dublin dr pepper (as its no longer being made, grab it while you can).

Sir Pompously

According to Wiki, there will still be cane sugar Dr Pepper, just not called "Dublin". Cane sugar one is so much better, even that Misty's in Melbourne seems to only stock the Dublin variety!

Buzz Killington