Smells like teen artics

Started by Sylvan Loves Buses, March 24, 2016, 09:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvan Loves Buses

could there be any particular reason why 901 smells like an artic, or is it just me?

The Love Guru

Smells like an artic? WTF is wrong with you?

Sylvan Loves Buses

I love my buses, what's your excuse?

King of Buses

Quote from: The Love Guru on March 24, 2016, 10:19:46 PM
Smells like an artic? WTF is wrong with you?

It's probably just the fact that most buses (especially B Depot PR2s and MANs) smell like any shady underpass you happen to go near and the effects of that are making him hallucinate.

But seriously though,

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on March 24, 2016, 09:35:56 PM
could there be any particular reason why 901 smells like an artic, or is it just me?

That is one of the most random questions I've ever seen asked pretty much anywhere...

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on March 24, 2016, 11:08:10 PM
I love my buses, what's your excuse?

And that's not a good enough excuse methinks...

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on March 24, 2016, 09:35:56 PM

Think I know the reason for this now (as well as the other that I smelt recently).
I was discussing with a driver on my travels today, although I could only hear half of what he was saying cause 955 was really loud for some reason, one thing he mentioned was at the time of the artics being decommissioned, 1 or 2 of the engines were placed into P2s to replace the old clapped out engines they had. If that is the case, then that is why I was picking up those scents back then.

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 11, 2016, 11:21:46 PM
Think I know the reason for this now (as well as the other that I smelt recently).
I was discussing with a driver on my travels today, although I could only hear half of what he was saying cause 955 was really loud for some reason, one thing he mentioned was at the time of the artics being decommissioned, 1 or 2 of the engines were placed into P2s to replace the old clapped out engines they had. If that is the case, then that is why I was picking up those scents back then.

777 was the only PR100.2 with a Renault PR180.2 engine that I am aware of (given it still had the power of an artic, but the body of a rigid). Given no PR100.2s have such power, there is NO noticeable way for a passenger to be able to tell if it has an artic engine (because they'd gave been reconditioned and powered down - if that's even possible). They all use the same fuel, and they all emit the same pollutants, so I think you might have just sniffed in a bit to much of the exhaust fumes...

Bus 503

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 11, 2016, 11:21:46 PM

I don't think you can smell an engine. It was probably the smell of the seats which you were picking up.

triumph

I wouldn't be too quick to discount the possibility of identification due to discriminating exhaust odours with other senses and odours perhaps contributing.

Remarkable as it might seem and hard to believe, in the 1950s there was a young boy in Lenah Valley, Hobart, who lived some 2 blocks from the tram line but could reliably give the fleet numbers of trams simply from the noises they made entering and leaving the crossing loop. To us ordinary folk the trams just sounded like trams. 

Sylvan Loves Buses

I was putting my bike on the rack at the time, and the fumes or whatever were arising from under the front of the bus. I know what I smelt, and it wasn't the back exhaust, cause that smells quite different.

ajw373

No idea what you are smelling. What I do know what ever it is is not good for you.

Sylvan Loves Buses

can't be any worse than sitting around with 10 bus drivers on their smoke break

ajw373

Wouldn't know, I am not a bus driver, I don't smoke and I don't hang around with them either. Whilst you should be applauded on your interest of all things buses, there is a line between, dare I say normal and a bit extreme. Sniffing buses and replying to messages from this board at 2am, I think many would say is tending towards the extreme which is not healthy.

Bus 503

Quote from: King of Buses on November 14, 2016, 08:03:02 PM
That in itself sounds weird...but I'm sure you realise that what you're saying is weird before you're posting it. Irrespective, *that's* still perhaps somewhat more acceptable to more of society than getting high off bus fumes and/or the musky smell that fills the nostrils upon boarding.

The bus can smell good when the air conditioner is running though. Especially those Irisbuses...