25 min
30 min
35 min

Stage 2 (City to Woden) Route

Offline Buzz Killington

• ACT Bus
Stage 2 (City to Woden) Route
« on: October 29, 2016, 03:04:48 PM »
An interesting article in the CT today proposing an alternative to the presumed Adelaide Ave / Yarra Glen route for stage two: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment/light-rail-to-woden-which-way-should-it-run-20161028-gscu33.html

Some interesting ideas but I suspect some parts of it would be far too difficult (Macgregor and Kent Sts).

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:59:38 AM by Buzz Killington »

Offline King of Buses

• Gallifrey Falls No More!
    • My Flickr Account
Re: Stage 2 Route
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 03:20:08 PM »
I can see why they'd want to send it through Deakin in order to (potentially) attract more patronage. Though, it does sacrifice the 'direct' part of the service. That'd probably mean the existing Blue Rapid corridor as run by buses between the City and Woden would need to remain for direct travel. Though, sending LR stage 2 via Wisdom/Kent St *could* work as a direct service provided it didn't do much (or anything) else.

Offline Bus 503

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 09:18:50 PM »
I think the Woden stage two route needs to be direct and faster than buses. The corridor is right there and is designed specifically for light rail to go through it so it seems a bit weird to go and detour around that.
I would have thought City to the Airport would make a good stage two, or City to Belconnen because there needs to be a solution (especially during peak hours) to the constant overcrowding on the Blue Rapids - there is constant demand for buses throughout the day to get to the City from Belconnen or Belconnen to the City, so I would've thought that or the Airport would be a sensible stage two.

Offline Busfanatic101

• Your typical Canberra Bus Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 08:20:39 AM »
I would also think that sticking to the main route, perhaps with a set of lights for pedestrians and a stop installed around the deakin shops area, would be best.

However, I am also not in favour of Woden-City as stage 2, especially if they are thinking to replace rapids through that area. That is perhaps the smoothest, fastest, and most efficiently operated rapid stretch there is at the moment, and I think buses are running it fine. It also saves people either losing frequency or changing modes up to twice (to get from Tuggers-Woden, Tuggers-city, tuggers to belco (perhaps a supplement all day parkway route), Woden to belco) unless they keep running the 300s at the same frequency as current which would almost defeat the purpose of the tram.

Why they have to take out a middle chunk of the 300s, let alone do an incomplete job on each of the rapid routes without finishing any properly I don't understand. Even though I live on the southside, I would rather they did stage 2 to fyshwick to complete the 200 series before touching on the others- otherwise, again, people who currently get 1 bus would be changing at gungahlin and at civic and there are enough people on the 200s at the moment. This would get the trams across to the south as well over the kings ave bridge.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:21:19 AM by Busfanatic101 »

Offline ajw373

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 08:01:24 PM »
I think the Woden stage two route needs to be direct and faster than buses. The corridor is right there and is designed specifically for light rail to go through it so it seems a bit weird to go and detour around that.
I would have thought City to the Airport would make a good stage two, or City to Belconnen because there needs to be a solution (especially during peak hours) to the constant overcrowding on the Blue Rapids - there is constant demand for buses throughout the day to get to the City from Belconnen or Belconnen to the City, so I would've thought that or the Airport would be a sensible stage two.

Wouldn't have worked politically being another northside route, and likewise a route to Kingston, which would be more sensible than the airport would have only went through the inner city electorate, which is also leans more left than right. Though tend to agree from providing a solution to a problem Belconnen would have made more sense with more enroute places to serve, which is where lightrail (the European version rather than US) excels.

Offline Busfanatic101

Re: Stage 2 (City to Woden) Route
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 05:58:45 PM »
2 recent articles in the Canberra Times
ACT government signs suite of light rail stage 2 contracts
Kirsten Lawson

The ACT government has signed a series of contracts with consultants to design its second stage of light rail from the city to Woden, using many of the consultants it used on the first leg.

Ernst and Young has been appointed commercial adviser, including preparing the business case and economic analysis, market soundings, and advising on how to structure the contracts to deliver stage 2. The company also worked on the stage 1 business case, and was contracted for $2.3 million of work on stage 1 in the three years to June 2016.

Arup has been appointed technical adviser for stage 2, and its tasks include engineering design, traffic and access design, underground investigations, urban design, safety planning and planning approvals.

Arup, also technical adviser for stage 1, is one of the most highly paid light rail consultants date, winning contracts worth $7.6 million over the three years to June 2016.

Transport Minister Meegan Fitzharris was unable to provide the final costs of the latest tranche of contracts this week, with details still being signed off, but in November 2016 she said the contracts were together worth about $7 million, of a total $25 million to prepare for stage 2.

The route is expected to be finalised this year, with contracts signed before the 2020 election.

Turner and Townsend has been appointed to estimate costs for the 10km route to Woden, which is more complicated than the line from Gungahlin. It must cross  Commonwealth Avenue bridge, and is to be wire-free over the bridge and through the parliamentary triangle.

Turner and Townsend, which also costed the Parramatta light rail line for the NSW government, appears to have been paid nearly $2 million to date for cost estimation work, as "constructability advisor", and assessing the tenders for stage 1.

An audit report last year detailed some of the negotiations between cost-estimator Turner and Townsend and the ACT government when Turner and Townsend initially the capital cost of stage 1 at $1.01 billion in 2014. The figure prompted a "value-engineering workshop" "to allow Turner and Townsend an opportunity to clarify elements of the design for their costing assumptions" and to refine the design to reduce costs, the auditor reported. Soon after, Turner and Townsend revised down the cost to $610 million, including scrapping $100 million of "owners' costs" and a $227 million contingency. Eventually, the construction contract was signed for $710 million.

Elton Consulting has been appointed as communications and engagement advisor. Elton, also involved in Sydney light rail, was contracted to do Canberra planning work in 2015-16, worth $220,000, according to annual reports. In 2015, Elton employed former deputy head of the ACT Land Development Agency Dan Stewart and its website boasts Mr Stewart's experience in light rail.

Sydney rail engineering consultancy SNC Lavalin Rail and Transit has been appointed as operations advisor, including deciding on the light rail vehicles. SNC Lavalin Rail was also operations consultant on stage 1, with contracts worth $2.2 million.

Veitch Lister Consulting will do transport modelling for the second stage, including calculating expected patronage. Veitch Lister worked on demand forecasting for stage 1 and has been contracted for about $400,000 of work to date.

Clayton Utz has been appointed as legal advisors and Sparke Helmore as probity advisor. Hudson Global, in charge of recruitment for stage 1, has also been given the recruitment task for stage 2.

Most of the contracts were tightly contested in the tender round, with the ACT government website listing nine separate bids for the cost-estimation contract won by Turner and Townsend. Four companies bid for the transport modelling contract, and four to be commercial advisor.

Six companies bid for the communications contract. Two companies bid be to technical advisor, but it appears SNC Lavalin Rail and Transit was the only formal bid for the operations management contract. Ten companies bid for the recruitment contract.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/act-government-signs-suite-of-light-rail-stage-2-contracts-20170426-gvswkz.html

Names of Canberra's first 13 light rail stops revealed, next the design
Katie Burgess

They've been immortalised in ink, in coffee cups and in cake but transport minister Meegan Fitzharris says Canberra's new light rail stops could be as iconic as the city's famous bus shelters.

The minister unveiled the latest "little milestone" in stage one of the city's light rail project - the names of the 13 light rail stops stretching from Gungahlin Place to Alinga Street in Civic.

The new light rail stops will be: Gungahlin Place, Manning Clark North, Mapleton Avenue, Nullarbor Avenue, Well Station Drive, EPIC and Racecourse, Phillip Avenue, Swinden Street, Dickson Interchange, Macarthur Avenue, Ipima Street, Eloura Street and Alinga Street.

And the next milestone in the project will be the design of the stops, which the minister hopes will be as distinctive as the 'bunker' bus shelters.

"[The design] will come out in the next couple of months so we'll have some designs for people to look at," Ms Fitzharris said.

"Obviously we've been working with Canberra Metro on those designs as well as NCA because the design of the stops, particularly on the spots they're responsible for, are very important to them as well so we'll have the final designs out for people to look at over the next couple of months as well."

Ms Fitzharris said the design will be "broadly similar" to the ones in the original artist's impressions but will be "much more developed".

"They've had a lot of input from local designers as well so they represent parts of the city people will be familiar with so they'll be pretty exciting for people to have a look at," Ms Fitzharris said.

Ms Fitzharris said stage one of light rail is on schedule, with work underway at every point along the rout.

The first piece of track to be laid in May or June and the first vehicle shells have gone into production in Spain.

Work is also underway to integrate stage one and two of the project "seamlessly".

At the Alinga Street stop will be a recharging facility for the trams, as stage two of the light rail has to be wire-free, Ms Fitzharris confirmed.

"Because we'd always planned for this to be a city-wide project we knew that anything beyond Alinga Street would require us to be wire free and that includes a Russell extension or across the lake so the capacity is within each of the vehicles to be wire free anyway and within the tracks itself," she said.

"My understanding [of the charging station] that it'd be no extra time, it sort of recharges as it goes, as in no extra time from the time it takes to stop and unload and load on passengers anyway so there's no additional time."

Work is also continuing on updating the bus network to make way for light rail.

Ms Fitzharris said there would be two bus network refreshes between now and this time next year.

"We don't want to be at the point where we are refreshing the whole network at the same time as we're starting up light rail so there'll probably be two points of network updates between now and the start of light rail so one this year with the introduction of new rapid services and one in the first quarter of 2018, although that date may be subject to change," Ms Fitzharris said.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/names-of-canberras-first-13-light-rail-stops-revealed-next-the-design-20170426-gvsk56.html

Offline Barry Drive

• Obscurantist
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 11:43:37 AM »
In case you missed it, consultation for the route of Stage 2 has commenced.

You can get the full story, and provide feedback through https://www.yoursay.act.gov.au/LRS2

Offline Barry Drive

• Obscurantist
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 04:32:02 PM »
Now with added poll.

Offline ajw373

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 05:05:15 PM »
The real question for the poll is not what is the maximum time Woden to City, but what is the role of light rail.

To me, it is not about linking Woden to Civic, it is about linking the areas in between to each other, in which case time becomes less of an issue. Much like Gungahlin to City. The trunk express route should remain as an express bus service, linking Tuggernong to Belconnen via Woden and the City. Until such time as you can run light rail over that whole route. But honestly don't think that is viable. I've been on public record as saying only place I think light rail is viable in Canberra is Gungahlin to City and onto the railway station via the Parl triangle and Kingston. Unless we line Belconnen Way, Adelaide Ave and Athlon Drive with Flemmington Road style apartment buildings.

Offline Bus 400

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 08:38:04 PM »
A bit like how Castle Hill in Sydney is changing from a 1/4 acre house & land to a sea of apartments & townhouses, with the new train line.

What would be stopping areas surrounding Deakin Shops, Curtin Shops, Cotter Road from becoming areas of apartments & townhouses? South Canberra can't be stuck in the 1920's in the 2020's. With the added bonus of bus routes 1& 2 (don't get me started on the whole "why aren't the bus routes planned for the light rail) where they criss cross most propsed light rail stops. Canberra will just have to get use to changing mose of transport mid route.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Offline Busfanatic101

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 07:05:40 PM »
The much awaited report detailing (not) the outcomes of the consultation is now available
https://www.yoursay.act.gov.au/LRS2
https://yoursay.act.gov.au/application/files/3615/0329/0787/Light_Rail_UpdateAugust_2017_Summary.pdf

And a Canberra times article to go with it
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/light-rail-stage-two-unlikely-to-go-to-canberra-hospital-due-to-technical-constraints-20170821-gy0rl2.html

Barton route is preferred, unlikely to extend to hospital, but doesn't say much more than that. It does not answer the fundamental question of whether it is intended to replace that portion of the blue rapid completely, though I now think that is unlikely

Offline King of Buses

• My Flickr Account
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 09:31:08 PM »
It does not answer the fundamental question of whether it is intended to replace that portion of the blue rapid completely, though I now think that is unlikely

Don't go there. From what I can gather* it likely will - even if it runs through Barton.

* The source for this is, I will admit, is slightly biased towards the Barton diversion to the point that they seem completely oblivious to the fact that it will be around 5 minutes slower than the existing bus service. They also seem to think that running through Barton will increase patronage all day every day, rather than the more likely scenario of running through Barton in the middle of the day/on weekends with a handful of City - Woden pax. who haven't reverted to using cars owing to said diversion adding too much time.

Offline Busfanatic101

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 11:07:08 PM »
Don't go there. From what I can gather* it likely will - even if it runs through Barton

Oh dear. Let's hope you're wrong. Because for the people traveling further who have to add the time of 2 transfers on top of the 5+min slower journey...
At least it might ease the congestion in peak  :-\

Offline Barry Drive

• Obscurantist
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 10:48:39 AM »
Don't get me started. No, too late.

1. All that has been reported is the summary of the consultation. No decision on route alignment has been announced. The consultation itself was so flawed its outcome shouldn't be used for any decision making.

The source for this is ... slightly biased towards the Barton diversion to the point that they seem completely oblivious to the fact that it will be around 5 minutes slower than the existing bus service.

If it were only 5 minutes slower than the existing bus service then this wouldn't be an issue. BUT IT WON'T BE.

What has been said is that it might be 5-7 minutes slower than the direct light rail route. Even though I doubt it and would estimate it as 10 minutes slower. But on top of that, despite the advantages of traffic priority, even the quickest light rail route would add maybe 3 - 5 minutes on top of the bus due to additional stops along the route and a top speed of 70km/h.

So from an existing 15 minutes (apx) bus run you'd have to add 5 + 10 minutes, making the journey time 30 minutes. And that's only to Woden.

(Poll has been re-opened. See top of thread.)

Offline Busfanatic101

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 08:27:53 PM »
A slightly more detailed consultation report has been released. Slightly.
https://www.transport.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/1096090/Light-Rail-UpdateAugust-2017-Report.pdf

Offline Busfanatic101

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 12:38:36 PM »
Stage 2 route has been annouced (pending approval). Not much different to what we already expected.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/act-government-announces-preferred-stage-two-light-rail-route-20180418-p4zaca.html

ACT government announces preferred stage two light rail route
Steven Trask  April 19 2018 - 12:00AM

The ACT government says its preferred route for stage two of the territory’s light rail network will travel to Woden through Parkes and Barton.

Transport Minister Meegan Fitzharris announced the government’s preference on Thursday morning, which would rely on approval from the federal government before getting the green light.

The other option was to run the light rail track to Woden through Civic and via Parliament House.

“Light rail stage two has been going through a rigorous planning process that involves negotiation with the National Capital Authority and commonwealth government due to the heritage and national importance of the parliamentary triangle,” Ms Fitzharris said.

“What’s clear is that the ACT government is committed to extending light rail to Woden, and we will continue to work with relevant stakeholders on the exact alignment through the parliamentary triangle.”

The ACT government’s final business case for stage two of the project hinged on working through details of the route with relevant federal government authorities, Ms Fitzharris said.

“It’s not appropriate for the ACT Government to finalise the business case for the project until the NCA’s requirements and alignment details are worked through.

“We’re hopeful we can continue to progress these negotiations in good time so that we can get on with delivering a world-class public transport network for Canberra.”

In late 2017, following months of consultation and analysis, the ACT government narrowed down the possible routes the light rail will take south from the city from four to two.

Ms Fitzharris said at the time that community feedback revealed a need to place the light rail route near "as many of the key employment hubs and national institutions as possible in the parliamentary triangle".

Three-quarters of Canberrans surveyed supported a route via Barton.

"It would also be Canberra's first light rail route with a section that doesn't follow a current road," Ms Fitzharris said last year.

"This design option would allow the route to get through Barton more quickly while also servicing more employment hubs and our important national institutions and tourist attractions."

A popular light rail extension to the Canberra Hospital was dumped last year due to technical restraints.

Ms Fitzharris said she was confident the community would support the Barton and Parkes proposal.

“This route provides the best access through the Parliamentary zone to employment hubs, cultural institutions and other places of interest such as Manuka Oval,” she said.

“There is no question that the City to Woden stage will be the most difficult section of a city-wide network to design and build.

“Due to the location of the route, it’s heritage and national significance, it is also necessary for commonwealth government approvals to be obtained, including commonwealth parliamentary approval, and that is our focus right now.”

And the route itself:

What I hope this means it that Blue rapid is retained between Woden and Civic (or at least during peak the 100 series). This is of course more likely with the Barton route than the alternative route. But that doesn't mean it will happen. And if it doesn't happen, well...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:45:11 PM by Busfanatic101 »

Offline Sylvan Loves Buses

• Not really sure if that's 'suit'able
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »
Agreed, and It would've been good if it were to be directed off to the Hospital too, but oh well.

Offline King of Buses

• My Flickr Account
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 04:47:12 PM »
What I hope this means it that Blue rapid is retained between Woden and Civic (or at least during peak the 100 series). This is of course more likely with the Barton route than the alternative route. But that doesn't been it will happen. And if it doesn't happen, well...

Why would they run a bus service that's in direct competition with the precious LR service, even if only part time? I expect everyone will be expected to change at Woden Interchange for the "direct" service via Barton and Parkes, which won't produce (m)any passengers off peak, in the evenings or on weekends.

If this is to go ahead like this, though, I personally believe that there MUST be a direct Tuggeranong to City service (with a number of supporting Xpresso services from group centres in Tuggeranong, preferably) otherwise Tuggeranong passengers may potentially have to change vehicle up to 3 times - which would make people even more likely to go "why bother catching 2 buses and a tram to get to the City in an hour and a half, when I could drive and be there in 25-30 mins?"

And regarding the 100 series buses, bear in mind that sort of route concept will likely be abolished with the introduction of the "2018 Rapid Network" as route numbers such as R2 or R4 or R8 don't really allow for extensions in the same way the 100 series works (i.e. Suburban run plus extension along Intertown/Blue Rapid corridor through one or two interchanges). I mean, they could go for R48 or R23 or something like that, but that does limit the number of extensions that could be added considerably - plus it's more confusing than "any 300 or 100* series bus from the City Bus Station (Plt 1) will get you to Woden," for example.

* Not including the stupidly numbered 182 - should've been the 82 or the 400 or something that isn't as confusing.

Agreed, and It would've been good if it were to be directed off to the Hospital too, but oh well.

If they built what would be a spur line to the Hospital once/if LR reaches Mawson/Tuggeranong, that would be setting a dangerous precedent, as it means they could have done the same for Barton and Parkes without making all Woden - City pax travel via what is pretty much a dead area outside of peak hours on weekdays.

Offline verbatim9

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 10:40:27 PM »
I would of liked them to.have tunnelled beside Parliament House and have an underground station with a medium sized Woolies Metro and other small retailers such as cafes and souvenir shops also underground with the station. The route is still good though.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:41:47 PM by verbatim9 »

Offline Busfanatic101

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 08:08:10 AM »
Well, we're far from stuck with it yet it seems. Not quite in agreeance with NCAs concerns but if thats what it takes to have stage 2 light rail rethinked...
National Capital Authority concerned over light rail stage two route
Katie Burgess  April 20 2018 - 12:00AM

Canberra's iconic Parliament House vista could become a giant bottleneck if two lanes of traffic are permanently closed for light rail, the National Capital Authority has warned.

The Barr government released its preferred route for the second stage of light rail on Thursday, scotching the Parliament House option in favour of snaking through Barton and Parkes on the way to Woden.

But because the rail line will run over Commonwealth land, the NCA can scuttle the route if they chose.

The National Capital Authority's chief executive Sally Barnes said the authority did not support the territory government's plan to reduce traffic from six to four lanes along Commonwealth Avenue and the bridge, and add an extra set of traffic lights.

She said reducing road capacity when the population of Canberra was growing would "negatively impact on traffic movements over the long term".

"The proposal is the most significant change to the Central National Area, and in particular the National Triangle, since the 1974 decision to locate Parliament House on Capital Hill," Ms Barnes said.

"A project of this magnitude requires careful consideration of all the impacts to the heart of Canberra."

She said the NCA had reminded the government of their preference for no overhead wires in the Parliamentary Zone, as well as the need for an appropriate standard of landscaping, urban design and infrastructure.

Ms Barnes said she was also worried about plans to reduce car parking in Barton, and has asked for assurances there will continue to be parking along the route.

“The proposed light rail route highlights the important role the NCA serves to safeguard this area of national significance for future generations of Australians," Ms Barnes said.

"We need to carefully consider the associated impacts of the proposed works as well as clearly identify the benefits of this new transport route for Canberra."

Transport Minister Meegan Fitzharris said the government was considering building a new bridge in between the existing Commonwealth Bridge for the light rail.

"It’s a really important part of this route – not only for city to Woden, but for the whole city – to get over Lake Burley Griffin," Ms Fitzharris said.

"Simply there are two options. One is to be on the existing road surface, the other is to build a new bridge in the middle of the existing bridges.

"Recently the NCA had some public consultation and put forward their proposal that Commonwealth Avenue be reduced to two lanes of traffic. They have not settled on that view. They have now asked us to consider light rail on a new bridge in the middle of Commonwealth Avenue bridge. And that’s the work that we are doing now."

Engineers Australia's Rolfe Hartley said Commonwealth Bridge presented no "insurmountable" engineering challenges.

"Commonwealth Avenue bridge is actually quite strong and certainly capable of taking a light rail system as is pretty much, although it might need additional reinforcing, but by the nature of the bridge it could do it," Mr Hartley said.

"It's a box girder so it's hollow inside. It's essentially a big strong concrete box. Kings Avenue bridge is different, it's narrower, with two lanes instead of three, and made of reinforced concrete. The third bridge is always an option, but it comes down to the planners' design."

Asked about the traffic impact of building light rail on existing lanes, Mr Hartley said it was an issue traffic engineers could overcome.

"Some years ago some necessary expansion joints on Commonwealth Bridge had to be replaced and that meant closing one carriageway for a period of time and making it a single carriageway bridge. There weren't that many traffic problems," Mr Hartley said.

"All of the technical challenges of sending light rail over that bridge into the Parliamentary Zone can be solved."

Like with stage one of the light rail, the ACT government will have to file a formal works approval with the NCA. The NCA will then put the project out for public consultation, the results of which will determine their decision.

Stage two will also have to be rubber-stamped by the federal parliament. ACT Liberal Senator Zed Seselja has already indicated he will try to refer the proposal to an inquiry for an extra layer of scrutiny.

Ms Fitzharris said she "continued to be worried about what the Canberra Liberals will do to undermine this project".
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/national-capital-authority-concerned-over-light-rail-stage-two-route-20180419-p4zakx.html
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:09:37 AM by Busfanatic101 »