General Fleet Discussion

Started by Barry Drive, February 18, 2015, 06:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

New topic - for miscellaneous fleet discussion, sightings that don't belong in other topics.

To start things off: there might be a new Dart arrival at Woden Depot this week. Possibly 140, but can't rule out a Tuggeranong unit being sent to storage.

King of Buses

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on February 18, 2015, 06:20:27 PM
...but can't rule out a Tuggeranong unit being sent to storage.

If so, it isn't 148 or 151. Both were in service this morning.

Busfanatic101

151 has been having multiple issues over the last few weeks, was playing up last wednesday and it cancelled its run today... I wouldn't be surprised if this got sent to storage soon. shame though as it's a pet bus of one of the drivers

Barry Drive

Yes, 140 has been sent to Woden

King of Buses

When I went past Woden depot yesterday, I didn't see 986...is it just hiding amongst the darts, Mk1s and PR3s? Or is it elsewhere?

And do the buses that are recently withdrawn (provided they originally did) still have bike racks (995, 991, 992...they did last time I checked but...I couldn't tell from Athllon Dr)? If so, why?

King of Buses

554 has lost its Nigel Stokes decals. Back to one, 560.

Barry Drive

Quote from: King of Buses on March 25, 2015, 09:44:49 AM
When I went past Woden depot yesterday, I didn't see 986...is it just hiding amongst the darts, Mk1s and PR3s (sic)?

Yes - it is hiding. But only in the sense that you can't spot it from Athllon.

Rest assured, it is still there.

King of Buses

Praise the Lord...
Those Darts are a bit annoying in terms of placement...

Barry Drive

Quote from: King of Buses on April 13, 2015, 07:32:33 PM
One of the Belco field vans too has a new livery covering windows too this time. Like 539s livery just without the euro 6 stuff...and on a Toyota hiace. ..
(A) There is only one "Belco field van".

(B) It's a new Hiace with a new livery.

(C) Don't know whether it's a paint job or vinyl wrap (or combination).

King of Buses

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on April 13, 2015, 08:18:53 PM
(A) There is only one "Belco field van".

I thought Belco had a hiace and that other unique one (I can't remember the make...)

Barry Drive

Based on ACT RTA records, there are two more new Hiaces. One of these will probably be allocated to City.

King of Buses

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on April 17, 2015, 11:29:29 AM
Based on ACT RTA records, there are two more new Hiaces. One of these will probably be allocated to City.

Both have been at Belconnen Depot the past few days. The Woden one appears to have been replaced by the old Belco one too. The iMax was still in the City this evening.

986 was at Belconnen Depot today undergoing an inspection and some maintenance.

Both 852 and 853 have been out today too. And 565 has entered service...

Tuggeranong Depot has had some movements as well. The PR3s are now against the screen and 3 out of 5 darts are in the shed (the other two on the bricks). A MKI PR2 (without window ads) was in the sheds today too.

Barry Drive

Without more information, the Tuggeranong moves suggests they are trying to increase their capacity.

Quote from: King of Buses on April 17, 2015, 06:22:40 PM
A MKI PR2 (without window ads) was in the sheds today too.
If you mean a PR100.2, there's not many to choose from: 865 is the only one that fits that description. A sighting in service would help.

This also raises the possibility that 856 & 126 are also in regular service, rather than being full time trainers.

King of Buses

The PR3 move at tuggers could also be the death row...

And not sure what MK1 it was (but yes, PR100.2) but all I could see was MK1 livery without window ads on at least the near side. Will look out for it

I've noticed over the past couple of months that the white strips either side of the front windscreen on a number of the Scania artics have been removed. 520 is one that comes to mind.

King of Buses

Quote from: 743 on April 17, 2015, 09:51:34 PM
I've noticed over the past couple of months that the white strips either side of the front windscreen on a number of the Scania artics have been removed. 520 is one that comes to mind.

They've been gone for quite a while. It's 511, 515, 520, 527 and 528 which are like this.
538 other than being named recently appears to have lost its front Scania badge and has an ACTION logo centered on the front above the number plate...seeing as we are on the artic topic...

Barry Drive

No sign of changes at Woden Depot. 864 & 865 still in retirement, so that Mk1 bus sighted at Tuggeranong would have to be 856.

King of Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on April 27, 2015, 11:48:17 AM
No sign of changes at Woden Depot. 864 & 865 still in retirement, so that Mk1 bus sighted at Tuggeranong would have to be 856.

856 wasn't at Tuggers this morning. I'm not sure where 855 has disappeared to, I haven't seen it in quite a while at T. I doubt these MKIs are serving and service purpose given there was several buses in the sheds still and some PR3s (including 126) at the time. 866 has a nice slope to it as well...

About 3 or 4 Rosa's were going into the T workshops this morning too. Two didn't have ACTION or flexible bus service logos  ???

King of Buses

856 back next to 126.

948 and 887 (If I can read stuff from 483) are against the screen too. Haven't seen MK2 buses parked there for ages...

EDIT: Not 948. But whichever buses they are they haven't moved all day...

Barry Drive

The second Hiace has been seen in service at City Bus Station.

Barry Drive

With 569 & 570 entering service this week, the number of Scanias in the fleet has reached 145.

Unless there have been further withdrawals, the number of active Renaults (PR100.2 & PR100.3) is  ... 145.

Shortly, Renault's status as dominant bus will end.

King of Buses

485 has now got the program 570 used to on its desto (the large print as such)...

Tuggers now seems to have its new Hiace van too.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: King of Buses on July 21, 2015, 08:49:22 AM
485 has now got the program 570 used to on its desto (the large print as such)...

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday. Could ACTION be planning on eventually converting all of them to that or is this some sort of trial?

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on July 21, 2015, 04:40:19 PM
Could ACTION be planning on eventually converting all of them to that or is this some sort of trial?

If they do, thats not a good idea...sure, it is easier to read, but when it spends about 3 seconds on 'Blue Rapid' when behind another bus (obscuring your view) and you want a particular Blue Rapid service (and have to flag it down while at a normal stop) but can't see the number, it is just like the static Renault destos...you can't easily tell...

The Love Guru

King of Buses

Quote from: The Love Guru on July 21, 2015, 05:07:25 PM
That's why it has a number!

But when in a platoon of buses you can't always see it!

I'm confused, KOB - you're saying in the platoon, you can see "Blue Rapid", but not the route number? Isn't the route number still on the nearside, which would put it closer to you than the text? I haven't seen this 'new' desto yet, but I can't imagine it's on the offside.

Bus 400

Quote from: 743 on July 21, 2015, 09:56:15 PM
I'm confused, KOB - you're saying in the platoon, you can see "Blue Rapid", but not the route number? Isn't the route number still on the nearside, which would put it closer to you than the text? I haven't seen this 'new' desto yet, but I can't imagine it's on the offside.

This is what 570 looks like.

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 400 on July 22, 2015, 09:24:53 AM
This is what 570 looks like.

*Looked.

Quote from: 743 on July 21, 2015, 09:56:15 PM

Even still, it can be hard to see the numbers around other buses, peoples heads, street infrastructure, trees, etc.

But how can you see "Blue Rapid" and not the number? That is your issue above, right?

Bus 503

Quote from: King of Buses on July 22, 2015, 09:56:16 AM
*Looked.

What? 570 has lost its "Renault Styled Desto?"

I can't understand why any of the destos on the Pr2 and 3s and green buses can't just display the actual place they are servicing on one line instead of: WODEN, on an orange bus and: WODEN, via, blah street, BlaH crescent, Blach, circuit, then finally, DUFFY. IF DUFFY IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE DESTO, WHY CAN'T IT BE DISPLAYED ON THE FRONT WITH JUST ONE LINE AND NOTHING ELSE?

King of Buses

You can't always read the desto around obstructions and other buses in front of it!!! Not all bus stops have the right angle to see them!!!

And yes. 570 has lost that program. 485 has now got it. That was all I was reporting originally!

Barry Drive

But what if you AREN'T travelling to Duffy. Or Fraser. Or whatever.

Then showing a single location is not useful.

(Does this bus go to Civic?)

King of Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on July 22, 2015, 06:03:04 PM
Then showing a single location is not useful.

And showing a route name is even worse...

The normal Hanover destos are fine. As in, Static top line final destination (Fraser West) and scrolling bottom line (Via Woden, City, Belconnen, Kippax, Macgregor).

Barry Drive

I've also mentioned this on twitter:

ACTION have responded to the predictable "my bus isn't air conditioned" whingers by stating there will be 30 new buses in service this year.

Which confirms the Scania delivery schedule has been brought forward by six months.

But based on 587 being the last in service, there are 28 Scanias to come in the current contract, plus 490 - that makes only 29.

Busfanatic101

Is it likely that they will keep the current livery for future deliveries of will they eventually get all the new buses in TC livery?

Buzz Killington

If there is a TC livery, it wouldn't look anything like the one on the Darts - the preference will be for a livery that only requires one paint colour per panel where possible. The different colours and gradient effect on the wraps would be too painful to replicate in a paint job.

Barry Drive

I was going to say the same. Also, I don't imagine they'd change anything during the current contract.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on July 05, 2016, 11:32:45 AM
Is it likely that they will keep the current livery for future deliveries or will they eventually get all the new buses in TC livery?

Certainly no change yet (up to 609).

The Love Guru

Hmmmmm, recall stating the end of the ACTION name was on its way!

Sylvan Loves Buses

Another new livery? geez, would've thought they'd get rid of all the 90's buses first or waited another 20 years before doing that.

Busfanatic101

I personally like the current livery. Who here would actually be keen to see a new livery- especially one in the sort of colours they are using for everything Transport Canberra at the moment?

Bus 503

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on July 22, 2016, 05:01:41 PM
I personally like the current livery. Who here would actually be keen to see a new livery- especially one in the sort of colours they are using for everything Transport Canberra at the moment?

I'd like a new livery although with the same colours as now (green, orange and white). The Transport Canberra livery looks nice on the darts but I wonder what it would look like on the full size buses.

Quote from: The Love Guru on July 20, 2016, 02:06:37 PM
Hmmmmm, recall stating the end of the ACTION name was on its way!

I note that the ACTION (logo) icon doesn't appear to be in use anymore on Transport Canberra publications or on the City Loop livery.

On the topic of the City Loop, 151 was laying over at the discussed University Avenue stop today so I guess it's now being used.

Snorzac

That is where they park the spare bus/driver transport bus for the City Loop as it has on road driver changeovers, the same two buses operate the shuttles all day from start to finish and the drivers use a spare bus to get into the city

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Bus 503 on July 22, 2016, 06:49:59 PM
I'd like a new livery although with the same colours as now (green, orange and white). The Transport Canberra livery looks nice on the darts but I wonder what it would look like on the full size buses.

I note that the ACTION (logo) icon doesn't appear to be in use anymore on Transport Canberra publications or on the City Loop livery.
ACTION logo is on the near side just in front of the fleet number on the loop livery.
As for the livery, it was mentioned elsewhere that it will no be anything like what is on the darts as it would be virtually unpaintable

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on July 22, 2016, 08:09:51 PM
ACTION logo is on the near side just in front of the fleet number on the loop livery.

No. The word "ACTION" in the 2008 ACTION font is there, but the circular 6 segment logo is not.

Busnerd

Personally I'm expecting them to go with a cost cutting livery. Such as perhaps a nice brightly painted front and the rest of the bus in white with TC logo's on it, with plenty of room for advertising (for revenue purposes)

If you look at Airlines in the last few years who have changed their liveries, a lot have gone with a plainer more livery to save money (and presumably weight) whereas most bus companies prefer a single colour all over as it is easier to carry out repairs.

Barry Drive

Quote from: King of Buses on July 22, 2016, 09:35:43 PM
The word "ACTION" in the 2008 ACTION font is there, but the circular 6 segment logo is not.
Good pick-up. You may notice that the, um, wheel logo has been removed from the Twitter and Facebook accounts as well - but not from newly delivered buses.

Busfanatic101

But they have brought back the old nxtbus ad recently that had been taken off with the arrival of TC on the on-board screens with the ACTION circular wheel logo.
Maybe they just couldn't be bothered making a new one or updating it

Busfanatic101

975s engine sounds to be in a terrible state.
570 doing workshop road tests this afternoon

Barry Drive

This escaped my attention until recently: the most common bus type in the ACTION fleet is now the MAN 18.320 with 87 in service - compared to 84 Renault PR100.2s

By early next year the Scania K320UBs will surpass this number.

Busfanatic101

I was on 504 today and for the first time noticed little metallic cylindrical things beside the nearside interior lights (the size of the holed area of the speakers on those lights). Anyone know what they are or might be for?

Barry Drive

How many things? Just the one at the front and another at the rear?

If so, they are the sensors for the former bus stop signal system.

Busfanatic101

1 behind the front nearside lights and another behind the rear nearside lights, so 2 all up that I could see.

Barry Drive

On the earlier question of livery, Canberra Metro recently posted an image of a CAF Urbos in Transport Canberra livery.

I would imagine the new bus livery may be similar, but with blue (for Bus) instead of red.

Busfanatic101

I don't know whether this is new/old/unmentionworthy news, but the other day, I noticed the underside of the foldup seats in 513 were different to all others I had seen. Flat with 2 cutouts of semi-circles through which the fabric can be seen. Interesting design

Sylvan Loves Buses

I hadn't noticed the cut-outs, but there have been many bus seats that this has happened to I've noticed in the past couple of months. It's always the fold-up seats that have it, and so far from what I've noticed, only on the Iris - E5s.
Must be a lack of supplies (im thinking), so they're getting daggy covers from elsewhere to fix them up.

Bus 503

Quote from: Barry Drive on October 12, 2016, 11:49:51 AM
On the earlier question of livery, Canberra Metro recently posted an image of a CAF Urbos in Transport Canberra livery.
I would imagine the new bus livery may be similar, but with blue (for Bus) instead of red.

So they're not going to be using these ones which were used previously when promoting the project? I think those liveries looked much nicer.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on October 14, 2016, 07:38:49 AM
... the underside of the foldup seats in 513 were different to all others I had seen. Flat with 2 cutouts of semi-circles through which the fabric can be seen. Interesting design
AFAIK those seats are only installed in the CB80 artics. They are a Custom bus fold down seat, rather than McConnell which are used in every other Custom bus.

Sylvan Loves Buses

With the remaining 6 darts that are being used for the 101 loop, are they owned by ACTION, Transport Canberra, or?
I'm wasn't 100% sure about the answer myself, but the driver who asked me today during my travels wanted to know. Cause he thought they were being leased or something - or is that the answer, sold for something/scrap, but still leased by ACTION?

Buzz Killington

If they were sold for scrap, they wouldn't be in service.

They remain part of the ACTION Fleet (though IIRC they're not counted as part of the regular route fleet)

Barry Drive

Quote from: Barry Drive on May 30, 2015, 09:42:09 AM
Unless there have been further withdrawals, the number of active Renaults (PR100.2 & PR100.3) is  ... 145.
When 618 enters service there will be 80 K320UB 4x2s in service (split 41/39).

Currently there are 80 PR100.2s in service - also split 41/39.

Barry Drive

Question: are there any Scania L94UBs which DON'T have the additional grille on the engine flap? I've not noticed any, just wonder if there are any left to be done.

Busfanatic101

I have just gone through my photos and have photos of every single one (320-373) with the additional grille- I suspect that had been the case for quite some time

Barry Drive

Quote from: Barry Drive on January 20, 2016, 12:43:55 PM
ACTION have responded to the predictable "my bus isn't air conditioned" whingers by stating there will be 30 new buses in service this year.
They exceeded that number: 33 new buses entered service this year - 588 to 620; as well as 490 for six months.

Not that it did much to stop the whingers.

Busfanatic101

In the TC email alert that I just got, it states:
QuoteNew buses entering the fleet from now on will carry the blue livery with light rail vehicles to feature the red livery.
Does this mean that the new artic will also be in the new livery? I had had the assumption that it would be the green one matching the other same artics buses in the fleet. I think at present all buses of the same type have the same liveries as each other.

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on December 16, 2016, 12:21:04 PM
In the TC email alert that I just got, it states:Does this mean that the new artic will also be in the new livery? I had had the assumption that it would be the green one matching the other same artics buses in the fleet. I think at present all buses of the same type have the same liveries as each other.

It does imply that, but in fairness it could go either way given there won't be much fuss when the artic arrives I'd think given it is nothing new really.

As for all buses of the same type, that depends if exclude AOA's plus whether your count the "Conserve Fossil Fuels" livery as an AOA or a livery.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Barry Drive

Probably, yes.

I don't have evidence, but last time something like that happened was with the AEC Swifts in the late 1960s-1970s when the livery changed from coffee and red to yellow fire and blue. Although they may have kept the same livery with the same body - so that doesn't count.

UPDATE: The Freighter bodied Swifts may have been the last in the old livery with the Smithfield bodies from 1974 arriving in the new orange/blue scheme. Some of the Freighters were repainted into the new colours.

Sylvan Loves Buses

So another new bus in the fleet. I understand that they're Euro 6s as well, but for my way of sorting the types (esp on my drawing collections), will I just call them MKIIs or something? (I'm not sure what to call them to not confuse, which is why I'm asking)

The Love Guru

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 16, 2016, 03:17:04 PM
So another new bus in the fleet. I understand that they're Euro 6s as well, but for my way of sorting the types (esp on my drawing collections), will I just call them MKIIs or something? (I'm not sure what to call them to not confuse, which is why I'm asking)
I won't do a face palm meme, i think I'd just prefer to face palm you in person.

Seriously, what is wrong with you?

How about you call it a Bustech Scania, no confusion at all!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Sylvan Loves Buses

That's now the second P2 I've seen with that screen glitch. So much for the LEDs, should've kept the flipdots lol

Snorzac

Yes...flip dots that you cant get parts for or LEDs that are still manufactured and common to the newer fleet....should have stayed with flip dots for sure

Bus 503

Does anyone happen to know why the Hanover destos installed in the PR2s, PR3s, 307 and 362 to 373 don't change what they are displaying automatically when they arrive at termination points (and have to be changed manually by the driver)?

King of Buses

368 now has a green front like a few of its sisters.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Just a quick question,

Will the new Bustech and AVASS buses be used on the weekend services?

Barry Drive

Bustech - no reason why not.

AVASS - too soon to know, but possibly not since it will depend on trained drivers and mechanics.

stephend723

Who do I talk to about purchasing a pr1 or a pr2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snorzac

Whats a PR1?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sylvan Loves Buses

by guess, I would say he means a mk1 PR2

Sylvan Loves Buses

It's possible that I didn't look hard enough, and I tried to in the gallery but not all the shots are of the sides, and some are but with the old AOAs.

Can someone tell me all the fleet numbers of those random Mk1 P2s that had Mk2 liveries please? It's one thing that's been troubling me for years.
Atm I know of (from KoB telling me and from past knowledge): 690, 758, 760, 808, 835 and 840. Were there any others?

King of Buses

Snorzac

758 was a wrap, pretty sure it was Mk I livery underneath

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on February 08, 2017, 07:13:09 PM
Can someone tell me all the fleet numbers of those random Mk1 P2s that had Mk2 liveries please? It's one thing that's been troubling me for years.
Atm I know of (from KoB telling me and from past knowledge): 690, 758, 760, 808, 835 and 840. Were there any others?

You're missing 751, 775, 798, 853, and 869.

758 had the Mk1 livery as Snorlax said.

The trickier question is which of those wore both the Mk1 and Mk2 liveries - not all of them did as some were delivered in AOA and then repainted into Mk2.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Cool, thank you.

Also, as it just become something I need too, (and half the relevant gallery photos are black and white), which of the O.305s had the opposed livery. I can see a few, but I can't be sure of all of them.

Also, that springs a question to mind. What was the or was there a reason for the livery change in the 90's with the SLs/SGs and Mercedes buses around the time of the Renaults being brought in? It's somewhat odd to me, as when the new buses now days with the Iris coming along, shortly after only a few P2s were given a temporary stickers, but nothing else was given a big change like what happened back then.

Buzz Killington

If you're referring to the Mercs that we're repainted into the Mk2 Renault livery from the old Z stripe livery, that occurred as a part of ACTION's refurb program at the time. More info here: http://actbus.net/the-action-line-on-refurbishing/

As for which Mercs had a modified livery, I can't recall those off the top of my head. You could try searching the wiki for "trial livery" and "experimental livery" though.

Adding such a category to the Wiki may be something to put on our to-do list.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I've been doing a little bit of research just now on the PR3s. I just wanted to confirm, the 'a' on the end of any of them meant them as being wheelchair accessible buses (or/and trial/experimental) is that correct? Other than those features they were pretty much the same bus?

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on February 11, 2017, 07:15:01 PM
I've been doing a little bit of research just now on the PR3s. I just wanted to confirm, the 'a' on the end of any of them meant them as being wheelchair accessible buses (or/and trial/experimental) is that correct? Other than those features they were pretty much the same bus?
The .3a buses were high floor 100.3s with a wheelchair ramp and sloped entry floor plus wheelchair bays. BUS-113 was a prototype and the rest were production vehicles (113 was used in service at Brisbane Transport for demonstration with step entry). Apart from 113 the others featured MACK badges, plug doors and also had a number of halogen down lights in the entry area.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Passing a Euro 6 on the way home just now reminded me of something.

Apparently there's two refueler entries on the drivers side of the Euro 6s, one of them's obviously for Diesel, but what's the other for?

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on February 24, 2017, 07:43:45 PM
Passing a Euro 6 on the way home just now reminded me of something.

Apparently there's two refueler entries on the drivers side of the Euro 6s, one of them's obviously for Diesel, but what's the other for?

AdBlue.

Sylvan Loves Buses

King of Buses

Sylvan Loves Buses

Aha, I understand now, thank you.

Very interesting read too.

Busfanatic101

Does the red gauge towards the back of the right hand side have something to do with AdBlue?

Barry Drive

No. That's a coolant gauge.

The Adblue level is displayed on the dash.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on January 29, 2017, 01:05:11 PM
Will the new Bustech and AVASS buses be used on the weekend services?

Well, I can confirm that for the Bustech, just saw 622 at Tuggeranong about to depart on a 900, probably one of the last ones for today. So that is a yes.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I just wanted to ask, which of the remaining P3s are stripped from ads and such?

I was thinking of hiring one some time soon for reasons I don't want to reveal as of yet, but other than 120 (cause i was taking photos of it yesterday), which of the P3s have no ads on the door side, and appear to look like the livery has had a new paint job to look as surprisingly shiny as 120 did yesterday.

I did have a look at the AOA discussions, but nothing has come up recently on P3s.

Barry Drive

Can't report on them all, but many of the Belconnen PR100.3s are ad-free.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Ok cool, I'll have a look at the wiki for those no.s

(edit) oh yeah, have they stopped rear window ads too, and is that still a thing?

Sylvan Loves Buses

I'll have to find out exactly which bus it was when this happened last year, unless it's the same one, but hopefully after this morning the driver of bus 593 reported the problem with his buses bike rack and windscreen wipers - the problem where ... the handlebar of someones bike can jam the movement of the door-side windscreen wiper because it is leaning too far toward the buses window.

Now that I think of it, that's another issue with the bucket racks, something I shall mention to ACTION next time I call them.
The reason I say that, is because of the arm that the bucket racks use, it pulls the front wheel of a bike closer towards the front of the bus more than the arm of the yellow racks do.

I've had this issue before (as I mention above), some time last year on the way home from woden on a Euro 6 bus on the weekend when it was raining.
Basically what happens is, when the bike is lodged into place, it'll lean against the front window due to the arm angle, and when the wiper is activated by the driver, it'll likely move up, but when it comes back down, it gets stopped by the handlebar of the bike - and it is really tough to get it unstuck  :-[

triumph

Two questions.
1. Am I right in assuming the vertically alternating NEXT and STOP is unique to bus343?
2. Buses 343 and 344 are shown in the fleet list as having the name 'Sigourney' - which one is actually Sigourney?

Sylvan Loves Buses

1. Yes
2. 343 is Sigourney, 344 is Baldrick

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on April 13, 2017, 11:04:19 PM
2. Buses 343 and 344 are shown in the fleet list as having the name 'Sigourney' - which one is actually Sigourney?
Thank you. Error has been corrected.

Barry Drive

With the latest withdrawals, we've now passed a milestone: there are fewer than 100 Renaults remaining in service.

triumph

Renault PR100.2 Mkll are shown under fleet in the Transport Canberra site as having standoing capacity of 27 whereas the figure displayed on the rear of buses looked at is 26.

A typo, a carryover from an earlier model, a change during the model run, or ...........

A minor detail and I assume the legally required  display of the figure on the bus is the correct one,

Barry Drive

A carryover from the Mk1, as far as I can tell. (Mk1 were 42 seated and 27 standing whereas Mk2 are 43 seated and 26 standing.)

The fleetwiki Fleet Specifications page has been updated to include the full capacity (where known). At the moment, we don't have the number for the Renault artics, but might find something in the photo gallery.

Sylvan Loves Buses

The 180 artics total capacity was 110 on both Mks

triumph

Thanks for capacity data info and for wiki update to include that. (Had suspected the Renault Mk 1 capacities had been shown by TC for the Mk 11.)

King of Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on May 20, 2017, 03:46:51 PM
At the moment, we don't have the number for the Renault artics, but might find something in the photo gallery.

According to one of the few photos of PR180.2s I have where capacity data is visible/clear enough to read...

PR180.2 MkI (With Luggage Rack) Total Capacity: 110; 61 seated/41 standing (based of 725)
PR180.2 MkI (Without Luggage Rack) Total Capacity: 110; 65 seated/45 standing (based of 726)
PR180.2 MkII Total Capacity: 110; 69 seated/41 standing (based off 986)

(This is subject to buses displaying the correct data which isn't always the case even in the current fleet...)

Busfanatic101

Quote from: King of Buses on May 20, 2017, 09:56:39 PM
PR180.2 MkI (With Luggage Rack) Total Capacity: 110; 61 seated/41 standing (based of 725)

(This is subject to buses displaying the correct data which isn't always the case even in the current fleet...)

Except 61+41≠102. Perhaps the other 8 could fit on the roof?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: King of Buses on May 20, 2017, 09:56:39 PM

And of course, those are stickers which can be pealed or wear off over time.

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on May 20, 2017, 11:02:08 PM

Except 61+41≠102. Perhaps the other 8 could fit on the roof?

While we're in the mood for typos, you'll find 61+41 does in fact equal 102, despite what you say there...  :P

What it doesn't equal is the 110 I said it did, and that's because I was meant to say 61 seated/49 standing for that model (must've had the Mark II on the mind).

Busfanatic101

Quote from: King of Buses on May 21, 2017, 09:58:39 AM
While we're in the mood for typos, you'll find 61+41 does in fact equal 102, despite what you say there...  :P

What it doesn't equal is the 110 I said it did, and that's because I was meant to say 61 seated/49 standing for that model (must've had the Mark II on the mind).
I did mean to write 61+41≠110, so it wasn't a typo, just had the actual calculation in my mind when I typed it. I did notice my error but that was a moment after I pressed post

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on May 21, 2017, 07:50:20 PM
I did mean to write 61+41≠110, so it wasn't a typo, just had the actual calculation in my mind when I typed it. I did notice my error but that was a moment after I pressed post
#relatable

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

Busfanatic101

Any ideas on why a PR2 just raced past my house (which doesn't even get weekend services) at 10:45pm on a Saturday night?  :o

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on June 24, 2017, 11:11:20 PM
Any ideas on why a PR2 just raced past my house (which doesn't even get weekend services) at 10:45pm on a Saturday night?  :o

Was it pink?

Busfanatic101

Quote from: King of Buses on June 24, 2017, 11:12:29 PM
Was it pink?
I don't think so, but only got a brief view of the back as when I first heard it and thought that sounds like a PR2 I was like no it can't be and ignored it until it came past and I couldn't ignore it any longer. If it was pink, it would be quite out of place in Fadden

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on June 25, 2017, 11:46:18 AM
I don't think so, but only got a brief view of the back as when I first heard it and thought that sounds like a PR2 I was like no it can't be and ignored it until it came past and I couldn't ignore it any longer. If it was pink, it would be quite out of place in Fadden

I very much doubt it would have been a current ACTION PR100.2. If it was pink though it would've (probably) had flashing lights and loud music coming from within. Of course, the lights and music could've been switched off while driving through suburbia given the time of night. Then again, it might not have even been the pink one in question - there is more than one ex ACTION Renault PR100.2 running about down here...

Busfanatic101

My understanding was all ACTION buses were speed limited at 85kph, but I have recently been on 589 and 615 reaching 92 and 97kph respectively on the Yamba descent on 67N/66N. Are only some buses speed limited, or perhaps it only kicks in with the accelerator and not when the bus is rolling down a hill?

On a side note 316 and 368 came past today presumably on driver training duties.

Bus 503

Bus 154 was being towed by the tow truck down Cohen Street early this afternoon.

Busfanatic101

Not sure if it's a new vehicle or rebranded but the operations ute 209-828 has a blue TC design.

Barry Drive

They are new, despite reusing old rego numbers. (There are two of them - both 2017 Ford Rangers.)

Bus 503

Are the new Bustechs having the 'no entry' sign on the rear door applied?

Barry Drive

The Tuggeranong ones don't, nor does 621. Last one to get one was 631 (based on photos).

While I'm here: something that went unnoticed recently, Scania buses now constitute a little over 50% of the fleet.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on August 29, 2017, 08:06:35 PM
Is there any known reason for the fleet numbers 710-12 being used...

That's reminding me of the Iris buses, and why 300 was the new numbering instead of 200 or 160.

Barry Drive

Was that a question or a statement?

Because if it was a question, it has been asked and answered before.

Buzz Killington

157 onwards were used in the early 00s for the leased Hinos and a couple of demonstrators. 200 series was skipped to avoid clashing with radio numbers IIRC

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Snorzac on September 14, 2017, 11:10:59 PM
712 is diesel electric vehicle which means it runs using a diesel generator to power an electric engine, not unlike a diesel locomotive train.

Oh, well that makes more sense now.
While I think of it, what's happening with 711, shouldn't it be in use now too?

triumph

Bus 505 noticed today has a stuck on 2 line notice in front of driver above the front window. It reads "MyWay NXTBUS Interface Test Bus" and "Test Driver Automated Login and GPS Function".

Still an active requirement or just a left-over from the MyWay introductory phase? Other test buses?

Barry Drive

Just a reminder for your calendars:

Tram #2 and possibly one or two more might arrive in Wollongong on 1 March.
Bus 652 (Volgren/Scania) is due to delivered on 8 March.
Bus 711 (Gemilang/BYD) - who knows when it will arrive. Perhaps we should check shipping schedules from Malaysia.

King of Buses

For those who missed the memo, 400 is currently partaking in the 2018 Mardi Gras Parade featuring a TC liveried front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7mKCeChEFE

Busfanatic101

Is it likely to retain the TC livery? Have the rest repainted too? Or be painted back into another green front MAN.

Bus 400

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on March 04, 2018, 07:22:08 PM
Is it likely to retain the TC livery? Have the rest repainted too? Or be painted back into another green front MAN.
Hopefully it stays in TC blue, it took a bit of effort first get the rainbow colours on Bus 400. Then a Twitter bus logging for the pride of & best bus in the fleet missing TC logos.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Sylvan Loves Buses

If it does, it'll look quite the odd one out in the fleet.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on March 04, 2018, 07:22:08 PM
Is it likely to retain the TC livery?

Well so far I can say that its front is remaining the same as I saw it this afternoon with the blue/grey front, with a yellow bike rack. It's We Are CBR AOA is still on it too, so we'll have to wait and see if the full livery will be changed if and when the AOA gets removed.
When my mum saw it earlier, she called it 'The Gay Bus' - quite right to.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Barry Drive on February 16, 2018, 11:06:45 AM
Just a reminder for your calendars:

Tram #2 and possibly one or two more might arrive in Wollongong on 1 March.
Bus 652 (Volgren/Scania) is due to delivered on 8 March.
Bus 711 (Gemilang/BYD) - who knows when it will arrive. Perhaps we should check shipping schedules from Malaysia.
An update:

Tram #2 likely to arrive 31 March and possibly be delivered overnight 1 April. Tram #3 may not be far behind; might be on the same ship.

652 & 711 have been delivered. Unknown when either will commence service, but don't expect anything for a few weeks.

Sylvan Loves Buses

As for 400 losing its TC livery, who knows, as for now we just get this. https://youtu.be/GaZVsBCt_Oo

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on March 05, 2018, 01:41:00 AM
If it does, it'll look quite the odd one out in the fleet.

It doesn't look like it will be the odd one out. 401 looks to be being repainted. It has been spotted in an interim all over white livery with TC front just now.

Sylvan Loves Buses

oh well, now it's the not-so-gay-bus ;)

Busfanatic101

Sylvan Loves Buses

god i'm blind, I thought the reflection and CG looking top looked a bit odd, that's not even 400... ::)

Bus 400

At least no one fell for my lovely paint job on Bus 330.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Bit of a wierd one yesterday. Was waiting for my usual 64N at around 2:30pm, which is always an Iribus, when it came up Vosper but with 'Sorry not in service' on its display. Thought at first he forgot to put it up, but when I signalled and he ignored I then thought wtf? To make it even more strange the driver turned left onto Livingston instead of right. 30 seconds later the 712 came around the corner with 64 on its display. I asked the driver what was going on, but he had no clue although the Iris bus was literally right in front of him. The driver asked if the tow truck was with it, and I said no.
I was thinking later 'why would you need to bother going back up Vosper to get back onto the Tuggeranong Parkway to go to Belconnen when the switchover of buses likely happened along or before Fincham Cres and it's easier to access it from there?'. ???

Also later on I saw an identical bus sitting next to 710 in T depot so I can confirm that 711 is definitely here. Strange that they're not using them though, cause as I went around and 712 was back in there too.  ???

Busnerd

Not sure how unusual, could be many things. A driver specialling somewhere using a random way they felt like going, it could be a driver on route training/familiarisation, could be a mechanic out doing an on road test of a vehicle. Also as a driver I don't understand when people ask where another bus is or why it was late/there/wasn't there, I'm only driving one bus at a time, how would I know what someone elses bus is doing.

Buzz Killington

How was the irisbus "literally right in front of" 712 if 712 arrived on the relatively short Vosper Street 30 seconds later?

Bus 503

I was on Bus 431 today and noticed that the short stop switch (in beteeen the single leaf switch and the door demist switch) was flattened (there was no switch) so obviously could not be used. Instead, there was single switch further further towards the windscreen that seemed to be acting as a short stop switch.
Anyone know what the story is with the flattened short stop switch?

Barry Drive

On the MAN / CB60s the switch was moved to be closer to the door buttons, following driver feedback.

Couldn't tell you how long ago it was done, but several years at least.

Busnerd

Can't talk specifically about these exact buses however the "flattened" button would be a blanking plate, for one reason or another switches can be moved or replaced basically anywhere on the dash of a bus as required by mechanics. Sometimes things fail or have issues and have to be replaced and moved from time to time, usually due to whatever buttons are in stock or what is easier for them to re-wire.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Anyone noticed 619 has a different bike rack?
Saw this yesterday

So, what's this variation called then?

King of Buses

Barry Drive

There is a topic specifically for the reporting of bike rack changes (http://actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=4258.0 ). In addition, it has been mentioned on the wiki entry for this bus.

But can you send me the full version of that photo for use in the gallery and the wiki?

Bus 503

I am wondering whether anyone knows what fleet numbers the names "Zoe" and "Delta" are allocated to?
There's no information on the fleetwiki with those names as far as I can see. However, I'm pretty sure "Delta" was in the range of 441–445 and "Zoe" was 502 or 504.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Hmm, can't seem to find the other post I made about it, oh well.
Saw 920 and 921 coming back from Woden again today. Still don't know what they're doing, like last time, but they're always together when travelling to and from Woden.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on June 13, 2018, 08:54:31 PM
Hmm, can't seem to find the other post I made about it, oh well.
Saw 920 and 921 coming back from Woden again today. Still don't know what they're doing, like last time, but they're always together when travelling to and from Woden.
Can't really claim 'always' from two sightings, and 921 was alone when I saw it southbound on Yamba near the hospital on the morning of the 7th.
Without the driver training sign on the back or the desto, it would probably have to be doing network timings.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Alright, well 'both' times they were together or near each other.
As for destos, both times just said out of service - Ooh, I'm getting all sentimental just thinking about it cause they still have flipdot displays :'(

Busfanatic101

Also as it has not yet been mentioned, the red nose season is upon us and the STAGs again, 471 and 482 with red noses seen yesterday.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I saw quite a few with the noses yesterday too. There's one maybe two that don't have one atm, I think it was 467 or something.

Also @Busfinatic101, 621 was on the 65 south at 3:50pm again.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: King of Buses on June 18, 2018, 07:52:56 AM
711 entered service this morning.

Yay!

I saw the photo of 652 at the city on the weekend, so that answers the other question. How about the others then, 653, 654 etc, are they out yet too?

Busnerd

Followed 662 today as it was being delivered to Tuggeranong Depot on a trade plate, got some photo's but nothing special, plus it looks the same as all the other ones anyway.

Bus 503

Bus 503

Barry Drive

655 as well. (Reported by King of Buses.)

Toyota Camry

What is the name of the application for tracking buses; I wish to install something similar on my iPhone.

I noted this afternoon, whilst walking from my office to the City Bus Station, that one of the Volgren Optimus buses was running on route 11; it arrived in Civic at 5pm.

Busnerd

Next There and also Triptastic should both track vehicles.

Bus 503

Quote from: Busnerd on July 06, 2018, 07:19:42 PM
Next There and also Triptastic should both track vehicles.

Apart from the fact that one of Triptastic costs money to download, do you know what the differences are between the two apps?

On a side note, parts of the Canberra-region of Nextthere (realtime) aren't working. At the moment, the 200 and 300 aren't able to be tracked.

Barry Drive

Been a while since these numbers were updated.

The current figures are: Average fleet age: 10.98 years; Belconnen 11.26, Tuggeranong 10.65 (Darts excluded)

Buses 25+ years = 66 (15%)

Busnerd

Quote from: Bus 503 on July 07, 2018, 12:31:57 PM
Apart from the fact that one of Triptastic costs money to download, do you know what the differences are between the two apps?

On a side note, parts of the Canberra-region of Nextthere (realtime) aren't working. At the moment, the 200 and 300 aren't able to be tracked.

They both have slightly different applications. Next There is better for savings your common/nearby stops to get a list of what is coming. Triptastic works well as it can show the whole network in one go and will show all the buses running on the network (if you zoom out) you can save stops in this too but it doesn't work as well, it's probably a more gunzel friendly app where as next there is more of a convenient app for those who just use 2-4 regular bus stops and want to see the next departures quickly.

Barry Drive

Something new to look for. With the renewal of all bus registrations, they are no longer required to display stickers. So you should start to notice their absence on all ACTION buses.

triumph

Irisbus Agora Line 301 - 319, trivia.

The fire extinguishers have been moved from the partial recess in the wall in the middle of the front below the windscreen, to a position on the left side just behind the partition between the entry and the saloon.

Toyota Camry

Today, the below trip is operating using bus 664, but is showing as non accessible on NXTBUS; normally, tris trip uses a Belconnen PR100.2.

This is confirmation that tracking equipment is being reused from old buses; it is no longer possible to accurately determin which bus is coming without seeing it yourself.

(14) 10:34 Fraser West Terminus to Emu Bank

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Toyota Camry on November 29, 2018, 10:54:25 AM
Today, the below trip is operating using bus 664, but is showing as non accessible on NXTBUS; normally, tris trip uses a Belconnen PR100.2.

This is confirmation that tracking equipment is being reused from old buses; it is no longer possible to accurately determin which bus is coming without seeing it yourself.

(14) 10:34 Fraser West Terminus to Emu Bank

Well tripmate correctly displays the bus as 664. It simply means the accessibility data wasn't corrected (or incorrectly selected) for the particular bus. Just like how many of the artics didn't reflect the bike racks for ages (at least some of which have been fixed)

Busnerd

Can I assume that NXTBUS is using timetable data? or is it actually using the information coming from each vehicle. Each bus also has an individual ID number, so even if the equipment is re-used, it *should* be re-numbered before being installed.

Barry Drive

Yeah. It's most likely a set-up error when 664 was being entered into the system. AFAIK the bus module only stores the vehicle number - the attributes will be stored on the NXTBUS database.

If you can obtain definitive proof (like a photo of the PID), report it to Transport Canberra.

Toyota Camry

Bus 507 has left the ACT as of yesterday; it is believed to be in the Sydney area.

Bus 400

While it sounds similar to what was set up in 710-712, Scania are working with Transport Canberra to make bus drivers drive more fuel efficiently. Sounds like it has worked so far & the scheme is set to expand.

https://www.busnews.com.au/industry-news/1811/transport-canberra-to-expand-bus-fuel-efficiency-strategy

Bus 503

383 was travelling northbound down Northbourne Avenue today at about 07:40 today with something on the front desto (couldn't read it) and "TEST" on the back, driven by someone in a bright orange uniform (mechanic?).

Also heard an announcement on the driver's radio about 422 being broken down northbound on Yarra Glen this morning.

Toyota Camry

Bus 317 failed on Yarra Glen, Curtin this afternoon; there is currently a mechanics van and tow truck present. It is likely that it will be towed to Belconnen Depot later this evening.

Snorzac

477 was towed back to the depot, shortly after I passed 317 getting picked up, the tow truck was shortly after seen going to retrieve another bus.

Toyota Camry

Bus 506 became stuck on Uriarra Rd, just west of Denman Prospect this afternoon; I am not aware of which route it was operating at the time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canberra/comments/a92vaq/no_action_here/

Busnerd

Toyota Camry

Bus 506 has been removed from Uriarra Rd; it was operating route 313 to Fraser this morning.

It seems from a quick check of tracking applications, there are no PR100.2s or PR100.3s presently running; some may come out for the afternoon peak. This may be a historic first that there are no Renaults running during the off-peak on a weekday; previous holiday timetables have always still seen Renaults operating all day.