The Acquisition Of 674

Started by Busnerd, September 01, 2009, 03:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be able to contribute, and if so, how much?

Yes - < $250
0 (0%)
Yes - $250 - $500
2 (33.3%)
Yes - $500 - $1000
2 (33.3%)
Yes - $1000 - $2000
1 (16.7%)
Yes - $2000 +
0 (0%)
No
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Busnerd

Deano from Sydney has asked that we try and form a group of people interested in buying 674 for preservation. Apparently it will be old enough in just a few months to register the bus on vintage plates.
He wants to know who is interested and he thinks that cavanaghs will sell it for around $7000 or $8000 The bus is currently at their Port Macquarie depot. That's all I know for now.

Buzz Killington

Sounds like a good idea.. .maybe we should pass along the info to RATEC as well.

The Love Guru

I'm sure with enough of people this would get off the ground. I for one will be in on it, it will make a great sister to the ex-ACTION 0305 i will puchase once they can go on the vintage plates!

Sir Pompously

As you know Mat, I certainly am interested in 674. It will be a great addition to any vehicle we are looking at down here! When I sent them an email a while ago, it was just stuck on school services and they said it was basically just as it came from ACTION. Aslong as it goes into the original ACTION livery, I am happy! :P

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, no worries, I'll definately take part!

Just one Q that's been lingering on my mind, where will the bus be stored, Sydney or Canberra? If Sydney people want to get involved, does this mean it will stay up there?

IMO, it would be much easier if the bus did remain in Sydney, but maybe I'm bias lol.

Busnerd

Apparently it MAY be possible to store it up here in the bus museum, but I am not sure if it would be permanent, I am sure they would not mind that, but that all depends on how much room they will have when they make the big move to Leichhardt in a few months time. We would have to talk about that with them at the time. Otherwise, perhaps someone in RATEC might have a property or somewhere it could be stored. The other idea put forward is to approach ACTION and ask if it could be stored at the depot, such as the matilda bus is!

Vintage rego as far as I know is about $500 a year or less, so thats quite affordable, even if ten ppl put $50 forward. Obvious the restoration would be the costly part, in addition to buying it. Either the Z stipe livery or the following mk2 livery would be appropriate.

I personally remember the mk2 livery on it, but I think the Z stripe would look very nice too. Which would most likely be easiest to do if we hired someone to spray it, only problem is that can cost anywhere around $4000 to get a bus fully re sprayed, Im just putting forward all these ideas now.

The idea is, if someone could contact Cavanaghs, via the phone and seriously enquire as to when we can buy it, perhaps someone like Martin or Chris, who actually know a lot about buses and prices etc. could enquire for us, if we can get a price or a definate withdrawl date then that would be great!

The Love Guru

I'm sure Martin and I can arrange that, we'll wait to see how many interested parties we get first though.

As for rego, on vintage plates it is around $90 a year, so its not an issue. Storage of the vehicle is the hardest part of it all. As for restoring it, that wont be such a big deal as i don't think parts would be that hard to come in Canberra.

I vote for the orginal Z stripe livery on her, it looks so good on that bus. I actually wish all the .2s had adopted that livery, as the grey skirting makes the buses look a lot more modern.

Busnerd

Well I think the Z Stripe is confirmed as the choice for it!

$90 A year, no problem!

So it would just be buying, storing and repainting that would be expensive. I think as much as ACTION didn't care about selling this, I think they could be swayed into assisting us if it needs any parts and what not, and we would have plenty of help with it from RATEC and the ACT Transport club etc. and all of us.

Perhaps someone knows someone who can store it for us on a farm or large property.

Buzz Killington

It would be great if it could be stored at an ACTION depot. Whether or not they want to play ball is another matter though.

Snorzac

If we go ahead with this I would be interested in putting something it. It would be great to have 674 back in Canberra.

With the restoration, would this involve finding the type of seating that was originally  in it because IIRC it was a trial for a brand of bucket seat.

Bus 400

There is one ACTION driver that has a Merc converted to a motorhome, she use to store the bus at the Capital Self Storage in Phillip & payed around $1,000 for the privilege. She may be able to help you out with any questions you might have.

She happens to be a full time floater, so she might be hard to catch. But is easily spottable by her "different" wave

Snorzac

For anyone who hasn't seen a picture of 674 in the Z-Stripe livery (hoping that is a minority) here it is:

Buzz Killington

CNG

Yeah I think its a beautiful bus and should be restored to its former glory and if it goes ahead I wouldn't mind playing a part in the acquisition of this bus. :)

Sir Pompously

Yes, well not for the price they want for it anyway! We inquired about it, and walked away from it due to the ridiculous price that was set on the table.

CNG

That is a shame, I would have fought she would have only costed some were between $5000 to $10,000. It would have been nice to have had some history back in Canberra and have played a part in it. :( 

Buzz Killington

Quote from: rolfe on January 29, 2010, 08:46:56 AM
I would have fought she would have only costed some were between $5000 to $10,000. 

They wanted a LOT more than that.

CNG

What company curently owns 674?

Simes

Are they chassi wise exactly like a PR100.2? Coz from what I hear parts for them are a expensive and usually have to come from France, so my suggestion would be if people want to save 674, best to grab a sacrificial lamb too while you're at it (maybe once a certain inner west girls school is finished with their one? ;) or will two of you complain about girl germs?:P )

Simes

A development with this bus, this post has appeared in the ATDB's buy/swap/sell section today

http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=53305

Not often that an operator reaches out like this (seemingly through a 3rd party)

Snorzac

Big question is, what is the new asking price?

Simes

Only one way to find out.....

Buzz Killington

With 410 off our radar, this is one of our next targets, depending on how much they want for it.

Poll has been added to gauge interest.

Sir Pompously

It will be a fight between us and Perth, as some over in Perth really want it (However I feel it more significant to spend it's retirement years in Canberra).

Buzz Killington

We've got the upper hand in that it would cost them a lot to get it over there.

Sir Pompously

True, but they would also have more members that can donate to their cause ;)

Barry Drive

Attached is a photo from 2004 of the bus in its Cavanagh's livery. Disclaimer: I am not aware of the source of this photo.

Note: Attachment has expired.

Busnerd

Seeing it again makes me want it more!

CNG

I know the felling, you want it so bad but you can't have it

The Love Guru

They still wanted $30k for it. I informed them that it is not worth anywhere near that and that similar units are going for 1/3 that price. They told me they would take it to the owners and get back to me, however they never did. Perhaps they live in a cave up there where Renaults are in high demand.

Simes

Such a shame, if anything it's worth less than the others due to it's differences

The Love Guru

Time for another phone call by the looks of it. Last time they just never got back to me after i informed them of the going rates for PR100.2s, which was some $20,000 less than what they wanted.

Busnerd

I wonder if anyone enjoyed my rant about Mal Morgan on bus australia when someone asked if anyone had plans to restore it

Buzz Killington

We've received word that 674 recently sold on eBay for $2.200 and is headed to QLD for use as either a garden shed or conversion to a motor home...

The Love Guru

Barry Drive

Original buyer didn't show up! Watch this space for further news.

Busnerd

Oh good, It appears I already started this thread 5 years ago.

Anyway in latest news, we are hoping to be driving to Kempsey on Sunday 25th to collect 674. Will post any further updates.