Light Rail Stage 1 Construction

Started by triumph, November 14, 2017, 06:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triumph

It is rather difficult to observe construction of Light Rail stage 1, due to its location in the middle of busy roads with activity mostly remote from easy pedestrian access. The most convenient viewpoint I have found is from the high rear seats of a route 200 bus, but this certainly doesn't allow for much photography or watching of activity.

One opportunity I happened on, was viewing the concrete track extrusion machine in action adjacent to an accessible car park next to Hibberson St on City side of Hinder St. Fascinating to see how quickly it advanced leaving behind fully formed concrete track complete with slots for installation of rails. Presumably there was laser guidance to keep the work accurate. Never-the-less there were some half dozen workers with trowels, etc touching up the surfaces and ensuring the slots were clear. Counting both directions, the mind boggles at the thought of some 24km of touching up by hand.

So far most above ground activity and effort seems to be in Flemington Rd with noticeably less obvious day to day action in Northbourne Ave.. The range of machinery in use and the sheer volume of work entailed is amazing. And not just machinery, when viewed from the bus, there are often many workers on foot, kneeling, etc doing detailed stuff. No wonder the cost is high.

Noticed today is that some 'overhead' support poles have been installed, and part of the depot entrance track including points and crossing work is in place.

The appearance of 'overhead' supports seems to confirm that, despite being on the cusp of self contained power supply and the apparent adequate daily battery life of bus710, that abandonment of 'overhead' power supply in favour of batteries is not yet a reliable viable option in the eyes of Capital Light Rail/Transport Canberra. 

Barry Drive

Don't forget all the lanes inside the depot - that would add to length of manual touch up work.

From what I can tell, not all of the track will be laid using the track machine. At points (such as outside the depot), the tracks will be laid onto a concrete bed and then back-filled with concrete.

triumph

Another perspective is on offer for the Light Rail works. Go to
http://www.canberra-metro.com.au/news/join-us-light-rail-construction-tour
for details about tours at noon on Wednesdays until Christmas. Canberra Metro say 'To make a booking call 1300 208 824 or email cbr.communications@canberra-metro.com.au'.

I, along with three others, did this tour last Wed, finding, for me, the main advantage being the presence of the construction superintendent who was very knowledgeable. The minibus basically followed the route from Gungahlin to Dickson and back with no getting off and no depot access, both due to works congestion and the complexities of OH&S for visitors outside of the minibus.

As far as simply viewing generally, the rear of an ACTION bus, as previously reported, is a good option.

Adding to my previous post, we were told the concrete extrusion machine forms the slotted concrete track at a rate of 1.2m a minute. Another snippet: the compound used to fix the rail within the slot costs more than the rail! Not surprising really as it is expected to durably provide vibration and noise damping, electrical insulation, fixing of the rail to resist it moving from expansion/contraction and traction forces, and tolerate Canberra's ambient temperature range which is the greatest for any current Australian Tram/Light Rail system.

I enjoyed the tour and found it very worthwhile.

triumph

The Depot entrance track layout is now apparent. There is a full double track junction with entrance from/exit to both Gungahlin and City and double track continuing into the site.

Can't make up my mind about this. It takes 10 vehicles to run the peak hour schedule, thus there should never be a demand for more than two vehicles each service operating interval (minimum 6min) to enter/leave the site. (Surely there is no intention to run to/from the Depot for crew changes?) So a simple turnout into the depot and an adjacent crossover between the main lines should suffice. This requires 3 points and no track intersections. The set up installed has 6 points and 3 track intersections (not to mention more complex overhead and control). Given the proximity of the double tracks, it is probably not a protection against the fleet being bottled in by a derailment in the junction zone. Gilding the lily or a wise eye to the future when more stages are implemented?

triumph

Progress noted today

The 'spreader' arms to support the contact wire have been attached to many of the masts, ready to be swung into position.
The first section of concrete track slab between Flemington Rd and the City has been placed just N of Barry Dr.
The point where the track approaching Sandford St veers to the center of Flemington Rd is now visible.
Whilst track slab work in Flemington Rd is very advanced, there are still many small gaps and missing sections.
Work has begun on concrete platform construction at several stops.

The works have resulted in a rough bit of the S bound side of the Federal Highway. The back section of a bendy bus I was in bucked like a rodeo bronco when the bus, travelling at a gentle speed, crossed it. . The sudden, unexpected motion caused my head to whip to and fro and body to move forward of the seat back and then slam painfully hard back into it. The violence was far beyond what I would consider acceptable for passengers in a public transport vehicle.

triumph

Had another look on Monday from a rte 200 travelling Gungahlin to City.

There are now many more overhead support poles in place North of Mitchell. There seem to be 3 sizes. Spreaders are attached to most of the poles with some deployed into position, it being noted that some poles have brackets to which dual spreaders about a metre apart are attached. A ram like piston is attached to some spreaders, presumably something to do with contact wire tension. As yet no contact wire is in place.

In the same section two stops already have platform roofs in place and the site of a track to track crossover is identifiable.

Work on the Federal Highway/Northbourne Ave section is now in full swing with sections of track in place, including the curve from the Federal Highway median into the S side of Flemington Rd. Never-the-less, there is still much work to be done over the whole length and, if the amount of pipes and pre-fab access pits stored here and there is any guide, still much below ground surface work too.

The slightly raised surface of street crossings mentioned in posts is noticeable - as this is a work in progress, the final finished surface level of the streets may ease the perceived 'hump' effects on traffic. 

The bus I was on travelled from Gozzard St via Efkarpidis St, Kate Crace St, Anthony Rolfe Ave, and Manning Clark Cresc to reach Flemington Rd.   

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on March 21, 2018, 12:03:49 PM
The slightly raised surface of street crossings mentioned in posts is noticeable - as this is a work in progress, the final finished surface level of the streets may ease the perceived 'hump' effects on traffic. 
Some intersections are more raised than others. Along Flemington Road they appear perfectly level with the adjoining roads.

The problem at Macarthur/ Wakefield is the extent of the slope across the intersection. It's certainly more than anywhere else. I don't know if much can be done to remove the hump effect there. They just need to slow down the traffic.

Bus 400

Just noticed today, a crossover has been installed just north of the Nullarbor Avenue stop. This will allow northbound trams to turnback & head back south.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

triumph

Another look today from a route 200 bus revealed that the installation of the overhead contact wire has started in Flemington Rd in the vicinity of Manning Clark Cresc and will probably continue along Flemington Rd quite rapidly. Never the less support poles installation in Mitchell is incomplete, including the Depot junction area. Further into the Depot poles are in place but no contact wires are yet visible. The various comments in the media about vehicle testing starting at the end of the month seem a trifle over enthusiastic.

At the Gungahlin terminus (visited on foot), the platform roof is in position and the scissors crossover at the end of the station has the rail with prefabbed point and crossing work laid out in position ready for installation. It appears the crossing work is being done by Nugroup Rail Solutions. Near the terminus, work for the bus interchange and Hibberson St shared area is in full swing but appears to have a long way yet to go.

The work on formation for the track between Dickson and the Barton Highway is now well defined and N of the Barton, most of the track slab has been laid. The section past EPIC to the Depot junction has the last remaining significant gaps in slab construction. North of Mitchell the work is now nearing the final stages with even some landscaping and tree planting evident! S of Dickson is the main area of activity for civil works with plenty of stockpiles pipes, etc still evident. Track slab laying has progressed but there is still considerable length still to do.

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on April 16, 2018, 04:44:04 PM
The various comments in the media about vehicle testing starting at the end of the month seem a trifle over enthusiastic.
Previous reports suggested testing would take place between the depot and Gungahlin. It is my understanding that initial testing will occur within the depot grounds, with on-track testing to commence later. (Once the track is operational to GTC.)

I have also noticed some further progress with traffic light installation. There now appear to be some T light signals, albeit covered up.

Sir Pompously

Poles were up at the depot junction but were removed a little while ago, with some concrete dug up around where they were. Also, one of the trams looked lit up the other day when heading past the depot (seemed as though the lights were on) so I assume static electrical/systems testing is taking place.

triumph

Was at a function today involving Light Rail people and learnt the following:

The Mercedes Unimog vehicle has been delivered.

The substation for power supply near Gungahlin is expected to be completed in about a fortnight and that will enable powering up the overhead for a section N of Nullabor Ave which is expected to be completed about the same time.

Testing of light rail vehicle at the depot has started. 'Dynamic' (assumes means vehicle will be in motion) testing is expected to be started in May, initially at night, using the powered up overhead (with transfer from the depot using the Unimog to move the vehicle).

There is apparently a joking feeling in some quarters that it should be called a landscaping project rather than a light rail one. This arises from the need to use some 1,250 trees and circa 1,000,000 plants, together with very strict National Capital Authority requirements for tree spacing and placing in Northbourne Ave, which has resulted in quite some services relocation needs. It seems that trees in some paved areas will have caverns under the paving and filled with appropriate materials to nourish and support the trees.

triumph

Had a look to day from a route 200 bus. The following are from quick notes I made en route.

S of Girrahween some slab with rails ready to place noted.

Between Girrahween and Wakefield the track slab has been laid for about half the section at the Wakefield end.

Wakefield to Antill: The bedding for the track slab is nearing completion.

Antill to Barton: Preparation of slab underway in first half with track slab placed in second half.

Barton to Flemington: Some slab still to do but well advanced. Some railing?

Flemington to Sandford: Slab largely complete with some rail laid/ready to place. The creek has been bridged.

N of Sandford track laying is nearly complete with some rail still to place in slab (mostly seen on City bound side). It is very hard from the bus to observe whether rail is in the slab slots or not but appears to be mostly installed.

Overhead contact wire is in position N of Wells Station Dr. Few poles to S though.

Station roofs are installed at Wells Station, Nullabor, Mapleton, Gungahlin term. Also the frame is on site at the City end.

Landscaping is in various stages, some parts advanced, N of Nullabor.

Overall, the whole project seems to be visibly well and truly past halfway mark.

Much effort is evident, with a concrete pour in progress at 5pm! at the Gungahlin terminus.

A road side trailer sign near Gungahlin glimpsed from the bus seemed to be announcing vehicle testing at nights this week.

Earlier this month I walked from Central Station to Circular Quay via George St and, though some track is constructed, I was surprised at the amount of work still to do on Sydney's current light rail project. The site is very constrained within the centre of George St and a visible shemozzle compared with ACT's light rail works. An interesting aspect is the centre 3rd 'rail' strip for power supply between the tracks (no overhead in City). It seems technology operates to keep it 'live' only beneath a light rail vehicle. Later had a look out Randwick Way at Alison Rd. There is completed rail and overhead work here, but again there is still activity in the corridor and I didn't get the overall completion impression implied in the media. According to the media there is very serious wrangling between Government and Contractor on time to complete and additional costs. My impression is that the ACT project is going, in comparison, very smoothly.

At the Gungahlin Place terminus I found it now just barely possible to very briskly cross Gungahlin Place on the 'walk' sign. But, dear me, what a congested arrangement for the buses.

Barry Drive

I don't believe any rail has gone in along Federal Hwy, other than at the Flemington intersection.

With testing either underway or about to start, the northbound ("down") track is fully laid (or just about to be) from the depot to Gungahlin.

Also, the shelter for Phillip Av is now up.

Bus 503

Does anyone know what the big objects are that are on top of the track slab near the Cooyong Street intersection?
They are square-shaped with a triangular cut-out on one side.

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 503 on May 26, 2018, 09:18:46 AM
Does anyone know what the big objects are that are on top of the track slab near the Cooyong Street intersection?
They are square-shaped with a triangular cut-out on one side.

Fairly sure those are the roofs for the LR stop shelters - possibly for all the stops along Northbourne.

triumph

Yet another look today from a route 200 bus.

There were two light rail vehicles in the compound between Manning Clark Cr and Kate Crace St, parked next to each other. Also the roof is up at the nearby station.

Light Rail Construction have announced that these vehicles are 'known as' LRV003 and LRV001, with  LRV003 (first to testing) to now participate this week in Unimog recovery testing, and the newly arrived at the test site LRV001 will undergo near static testing. Perhaps the fleet number allocation speculated in the Fleet Wiki will not occur - reasonable as the Light Rail is a separate entity to ACTION. Also indicated is the extension of track available for testing from Nullabor Ave to Well Station Dr.

The overhead contact wire installation activity has now reached as far S as Randwick Rd and one track further towards Epic with final fixing etc still in progress back to somewhere a bit N of Sandford St. The wiring with support spreaders/cables is still to be installed into the depot. Most of the route has poles between the track, but the curve S of the depot has the poles on the outside of the curve with spreaders on one side only extending over both tracks.

The section from the depot to the City is the major location of works, with finishing, detail, and station works still proceeding in the section to the North. Nearly all the concrete slotted track slab has been placed S from the depot to City with short sections at some intersections and stations still to be constructed. In some locations rail is stockpiled or laid out ready for insertion but little seems to be actually inserted (it is hard to tell from the bus).

A new item noted is the start of installation of wire rope type traffic safety fence, this, together with plantings, will tend to inhibit pedestrians crossing the tracks at random (I recall at an early consultation an assurance being given that random crossing by pedestrians would be possible!)

My impression remains of much industry and effort being expended with a strong focus which reflects well on the consortium and Transport Canberra. The big question is whether this will see completion for the forecast entry to service. Apart from serious unforeseens, achieving this may well be down to the weather and attitudes of any independent certifiers involved. 

triumph

Now that the works are out of the ground, a weekly visit reveals regular progress.

Today, from a route 200 bus, I noted that the two light rail vehicles are now stabled in the temporary fenced enclosure just on the City side of the intersection of Flemington Rd and the Manning Clark Cresc and near Hamer St.

Landscaping is almost complete N of Wells Station Dr except near stations.

Between Well Station Dr and Epic, overhead installation detail work is still in progress, and, though poles are in place, the Depot access is still to have any overhead installed.

In general, the slotted concrete track slab is complete except for small gaps near some road crossings and stations S of the Depot. As usual, it is hard to see where rail has been installed in the slots. Rail ready for installation was noted between Flemington Rd and Phillip Ave. and S of Macarthur Ave.

CAF says they offer Urbos 111 range in 3 widths 2.3m, 2.4m, and 2.65m - does anyone know for sure which width is supplied to Canberra's system?

Buzz Killington

Re the track installation, there was a post on Canberra Metro Facebook in the last day or two which mentioned 53% of the track rails had been installed, which equates to a little over 6km.

triumph

That seems about right as rails are in North of Depot and internally in the Depot.

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on July 09, 2018, 11:39:02 PM
CAF says they offer Urbos 111 range in 3 widths 2.3m, 2.4m, and 2.65m - does anyone know for sure which width is supplied to Canberra's system?
Urbos *100 (refers to 100% low floor).

For absolutely sure? No. But I'm fairly certain it's 2.65m. All the interior photos make it look like it's wider than a bus.

triumph

Noted from a rte 200 trip yesterday.
Two light rail vehicles as before, but one parked in new location S of Mapleton Ave. (Should be three according to publicity but only noticed two).
Overhead wiring S of Well Station Rd to Epic appears visually complete but crews were still doing detail work.
Erection of overhead within the depot access has (at last) been started, so the ability to operate light rail vehicles under there own propulsion from the depot all the way to Gungahlin is probably only 2 to 3 weeks away (with the caveat that substations are/will be complete.)
Erection of overhead support poles has extended from EPIC to Phillip Ave..
As usual, couldn't determine where rails were in the slots, but noted some laid out ready for insertion.

Barry Drive

Tracks have started to be laid along Northbourne Avenue - just after Barton Hwy intersection.

triumph

The Metro Construction site on 30th July reported that Light Rail vehicles are now operating under power from the Depot (near Sandford St). Does anyone know when the first such movement too place?

triumph

Been a while since I had an opportunity to have a look.
Today LRV001 was seen (from on foot) operating on the City bound track between just N of Mapleton Ave and the temporary storage area N of Nullabor Ave. It was accelerated then braked and, after a longish pause, the action then repeated.
LRV003 was parked in storage area on the other track.
The Mapleton Ave - Manning Clark Cr traffic crossover of Flemington Rd was closed to traffic but still available for pedestrians. Two traffic control guys were supervising. Learnt they think it is the 2nd day of daylight LRV operations and, that despite barriers, signage, cones, etc., they still needed to deal with motorists attempting to use the closed part.
When last seen the overhead installation was in progress as far as epic and poles in position to Phillip Ave.. The overhead is now strung to near the Barton Highway with stringing preparation as far as Swinden St stop. Poles are placed to Antill St. plus one beyond.
Did not have good view from fullish bus (643), so no chance of seeing rail installation progress but there appearto still be a small gap near Macarthur Ave.

Stan butler

I noticed the top of the roof of the light rail shelters yesterday (they are on the ground on Northbourne and not yet installed).  Anyway, the thing that struck me is that the top of the shelters are actually concave and they don't seem to have any drainage holes in them. Meaning, they may collect water etc.

But I haven't noticed any drainage pipes or anything on the already installed roofs along Flemington.  So what will happen when it rains?   Will the top of the shelters simply collect water and then overflow?

triumph

Another look today from route 200 buses.

'T' traffic lights in use from and including Nullabor Ave to Gungahlin. Noted 2 aspect signal lights provided on each side and at each end of the Gungahlin Terminus 'scissors' crossover.

3 light rail vehicles were just S of Nullabor Ave with a 4th at the compound between Nullabor Ave and Mapleton Ave. Later noted that 2 had moved N of Nullabor Ave.

Landscaping appears nearly complete N from Sandford St, and wire rope safety fencing has been installed at more locations.

Station roofs are up at Alinga St; Elouera St; Dickson Interchange; Swinden St; Phillip Ave; EPIC and Racecourse; Well Station Dr; Nullabor Ave; Mapleton Ave; Manning Clark North, and Gungahlin Place. It was noted that no workers were active at Gungahlin Place Station, which was a hive of activity on previous visits. They seemed to have left in a hurry as a wheelbarrow, partly full of dirt and paving mortar, was abandoned on site. Stations at EPIC and Dickson are double platform type. I think I spotted a crossover just S of Dickson Interchange. There is another just N of Nullabor Ave which, with the Depot, would give 3 opportunities for short running and provide 4 opportunities for creating temporary/emergency single line sections (though using the depot would be complex). A forum post mentioned roof drainage. I didn't see anything specific, but this is so basic that surely it is provided for - possibly by downpipes hidden within the support structures.

Rails were laid out ready from Elouera St to Morphett St and appeared installed further N.

Overhead has reached Antill St from the N with detail finishing still to be done. Overhead support poles are installed S to at least Ipima St. Looking at the overhead structure, at several crossroads the support is by wires strung across from poles on either side of the road rather than centre poles. It appears to me that the centre poles are not placed centrally in some places, as the spreaders are different lengths on either side of the pole. Also at all but one pole, the spreaders are at the same height. It is not obvious why that one exception should occur. Likewise, what criteria decided the pole diameter choice. As no consistency in the 2 diameters in use was apparent. 

triumph

Additions to yesterday's post.

The site of the unequal height spreaders is just N of Nullabor Ave.

Forgot to mention there were some workers wearing full protection white cover clothing of the sort similar to that used in hazardous/sterile laboratories, etc. Wondered what process being carried out required this? My first thought was that it might be to do with the glue used to fix the rail in the slot, but the manufacturer's brochure shows installation in progress pictures with workers clad in normal work clothes.

Incidentally, at an inspection a while back, we were told the rail fixing compound (glue) is called Corkelast. Googling this produced edilon)(sedra as the manufacturer. For more detail go to www.edilonsedra.com and look for brochure on edilon)(sedra ERS  Embedded Rail System.

It is extraordinarily difficult to find technical details on anything. Probably because no one involved thinks anyone might be interested and also due to the widespread nature of specialities and subcontractors involved in the project. A previous example mentioned what is the width (out of several available) of the light rail vehicle? Other examples include the types and varieties of brakes, motors, and motor control equipment of the light rail vehicles; also the rail size, treatment and supplier (the media reported specially treated from Europe, I believe it to be VoestAlpine, who have a large number of standard catalogue sizes and steel treatments); and an explanation of the visible aspects of the overhead system and of earth return current arrangements to minimise stray small curents in the ground which can cause cathodic corrosion in nearby metallic assets.

In the absence of easily accessible factual data, there is much scope for false assumptions/beliefs which basically is not good.

Bus 503

Later this week they started putting in the overhead wires south of Antill Street/Northbourne Avenue.
That section has also had the rails placed in the track slab (not just sitting on top) but further south on Nortuborne the rails remain on top.

triumph

The view from rte 200 buses today.

Rails: Laid out generally from Elouera St to Wakefield and substantial lengths to Morphett St. Appear to be installed elsewhere in slots with fixing compound being inserted S of Antill St. The white protective coated team seems to be doing this. The white is now very grubby.
Still a few small gaps in slab to be done.

Definitely a crossover south of Dickson Interchange.

Light rail vehicles 010 S of Nullabor Ave, and 011 N of Nullabor Ave moving S with destination displayed as 'Dickson Interchange'. The provision of the cross over and the destination signage suggests that short running City to Dickson Interchange has been provided for. Whether it will be routine is yet to be revealed. The fleet numbers were applied to the end modules of each unit at a point near the articulation concertina near the top of the side. This indicates that a decision has been made to go with a 3 digit only fleet number on the vehicles. How documentation will reflect this (eg LRV***) is yet to be seen. (Personally, I don't like the modern fad, driven by computers, of including leading zeros.)
2 more vehicles were parked at the original compound site between Manning Ave and Kate Crace St..

Overhead installation between EPIC and Antill St looks nearly complete but at points all along there are bits still dangling such as thin wires, and one or two pulley sheaves. S of Antill St installation to Wakefield St is underway. I had commented previously on what appeared to be some asymetric pole placement. On closer inspection, I don't think this is the case (my apologies). It is visually tricky from the side due parallax distortion and as the contact wire side support stays vary from same side to opposite sides with the wire position above the track  varied to avoid the wire contacting the pantagraph in the same spot all the time. Some spreaders consequently are of unequal length too. Thus, overall, the erroneous visual impression of asymetric pole placement is easy to get.

Progress to expected opening date seems to be 'on track' except for station building construction which appears to be less advanced.     

ajw373

Quote from: triumph on September 03, 2018, 10:54:08 PM
The provision of the cross over and the destination signage suggests that short running City to Dickson Interchange has been provided for. Whether it will be routine is yet to be revealed.

Hard to know how common it will be. But I make of it what you like but what has been installed is different to the original plans. The original plans showed a centre turnback track on the Northside of the Dickson stop. As you mention this is now a crossover, a single one if I am not mistaken south of the Dickson stop. It will allow a tram to terminate on the north bound platform and cross over to return to the City. I would think if stage 2 goes ahead running some Woden services short to Dickson would be more usefull compared to short running City to Gungahlin trams. Then again in peak some empties to allow bus interchange at Dickson might be the go.

And I know the depot is close by, but I am surprised there is not more provision at EPIC to terminate and redirect trams back towards the city for special events. Gather they can use the depot to do this if needed, or maybe they know there are not enough trams to allow too many EPIC specials. They may also be thinking of the future when EPIC and the race course may well be housing!

Barry Drive

The contract doesn't require City to Dickson runs, which may be why the turnback/siding wasn't built. Should Stage 2 go ahead it might be able to be built then.

Perhaps they will schedule City to Dickson as end of peak services - and maybe even Gungahlin to Dickson as well. When dropping from 6 minute headway to 10 minutes at the end of peak, the tram to go out of service can do a final run to Dickson then deadrun to the depot. It's possible that the reverse may be done when bringing trams back into service for the evening peak.

Meanwhile, the overhead has been completed as far south as Wakefield/Macarthur. Canberra Metro have mentioned that testing to "Dickson" will commence soon.

Does anyone know what will happen at the Morphett and Murdoch intersections? Can't tell from what's been built so far.

ajw373

I don't believe the public ally available version of the contract goes into specific details about runs and possible short running.

As for the Morphet and Murdoch Street intersections they are getting lights. The one difference is Murdoch street vehicles can do a U turn or turn into Murdoch street. I assume that is so buses can leave the interchange and head north.

The NCA website has a link to some detailed plans (as mentioned some things have changed) and those plans have traffic light details including phasing etc. interesting read actually and comparing to what is being constructed.

triumph

Turning back at Dickson Interchange, as has been pointed out, is a little contradictory. On one hand the destination is available on the vehicle's destination suite, but on the other hand, the physical layout doesn't support simple turning back to the City. The stop is a two platform arrangement, so either passengers need to change platform for returning City services, which is confusing for passengers; or the vehicle, after setting down, has to be shunted across. This shunting is not very convenient. Arriving from the City in the N bound platform to set down, a reverse movement (towards the City) is then necessary to change to the Southbound track, then another reversal to the North along the Southbound track is necessary to reach the Southbound platform. Will the crossover have powered turnouts or be manual? Will signals supporting the movements be provided? The  answer to the signal question when observed in due course will indicate if any routine use is contemplated.

Contract requirements have been mentioned, and letters to Times editor have suggested that the light rail will prove to have inadequate capacity (a bob each way here, we don't need a 'tram' but demand will exceed capacity.....). This raises the question of whether the stops (particularly the terminals) have track layouts that would enable adaptation (without track re-locations) of the stops to suit longer 7 unit light rail vehicles, or even 9 unit ones now offered by CAF, or coupled 5 unit sets? Hopefully, Transport Canberra and the Consortium have looked ahead on this.

triumph

Yesterday, another route 200 trip.

A light rail vehicle (not yet numbered on body) was Northbound approaching Manning Avenue (North). No. 010 was on Northbound (will the terms 'down' and 'up' be applicable?) track, stationary, just North of Nullabor Ave.

Overhead installation had reached South almost to Wakefield Ave. Detail work along the length from the Depot is apparently still in progress, as a crew was working on the overhead near the Depot. Pole installation is just about complete for the rest of the route to the City. Rails were laid out in parts of the blocks Wakefield to Condamine, and Girrawheen to Eloura. So rail placement in the slots is close to completion too.

As previously noted, the main aspect that seems to be less advanced is stop construction. As noted by Barry Drive, test running between the Depot and Dickson is imminent. At this rate of progress, that running could be anticipated to extend to City by the end October.

Busnerd

I had a look at the contracts or designs online recently after a quick google, it seems quite a few of the stops have a provision for platform extensions if required in the future and that the room to do so has been left although it didn't appear by much, maybe one extra module or section of the tram seemed to be all that was catered for. I suppose  without extending the vehicles the other option could just be an increased off peak frequency if required as it doesn't appear a peak frequency could be improved without ordering more vehicles.

Also the metro website update mentioned today that the dickson testing should start this month.

Barry Drive

Bus 400 sent me a link to an NCA document with intersection designs for Murdoch/Morphett, but also the publicly available contract (link here), Schedule 7 ("Scope and Performance Requirements") answers the others questions I have. Note that the NCA version seems to be more up to date.

Murdoch/Morphett St - will be a coordinated set of lights. The right turn into Morphett will have an extended slip lane but the location is unchanged; a traffic light stop line will be within the slip lane. The bike/pedestrian crossing will be moved slightly south and the Murdoch St right turn will be replaced with a signalised U turn bay which crosses south of the current location. The bike crossing will be located between the two road crossings. The rail line will have a single stop line in each direction.

Now that I know what is being constructed, I have seen the start of the U turn slip lane being built, but no traffic signals have gone in.

Rudd / Bunda St crossing - unlike every other Northbourne intersection, no work has commenced here. The plan is for a new right turn lane northbound allowing turns into Bunda St, but there will be no right turn from Northbourne into Rudd. (So will this be where the first collision will occur?)

Appendix 16 (page 468) describes the requirements for the "Light Rail Vehicles". Without specifying the actual tram make and model, it does state width as "2.65 m nominal".

There is a requirement for a Stop Request signal from the wheelchair bays (in line with the DDA requirements).

Appendix 28 (page 655) outlines the Service Level (i.e. timetable) requirements.
2.1  General Requirements
(a)  All Services must run over the complete route except for scheduled journeys from and to the Depot for LRVs to enter and leave service. These journeys must be available for use by Customers from the first Stop after the Depot and to the last Stop before the Depot, except for:
(i)  Services prior to First Service that may be required to undertake safety checks. For the purposes of the Payment Schedule, these Services are not Passenger Services; and 
(ii)  Special Event Services as advised by the Territory under section 2.5 (c) that may not run over the complete route.

(b)  An LRV which is in service must stop at all Stops on the Timetable and the doors must be enabled to offer Customers the opportunity to board and alight. 

So as previously mentioned, City to Dickson services are not part of the requirements but terminating services may run from City to Phillip Ave (or EPIC) and Gungahlin to Well Station Dr when the LRV/Tram is being taken out of service and vice versa when a Tram is entering service. Which also means that the turnback tracks are only for emergency use, other than the cross overs at the terminating ends.

Requirement (b) suggests they won't use stop request buttons but will have to halt at every stop regardless of passenger desires.

Northside

Quote from: Busnerd on September 12, 2018, 03:31:37 PM
I had a look at the contracts or designs online recently after a quick google, it seems quite a few of the stops have a provision for platform extensions if required in the future and that the room to do so has been left although it didn't appear by much, maybe one extra module or section of the tram seemed to be all that was catered for. I suppose  without extending the vehicles the other option could just be an increased off peak frequency if required as it doesn't appear a peak frequency could be improved without ordering more vehicles.

Also the metro website update mentioned today that the dickson testing should start this month.

You've answered your own question. The easiest way to increase capacity is to order more vehicles. The capacity the6 would be talking about is during peak where crush loads of passengers already fill the roughly every 3-5 min frequency on the red rapid. I'm thinking that 6 min frequency in peak is going to result in some very full trams!

ajw373

Quote from: Barry Drive on September 15, 2018, 01:37:39 PM

Rudd / Bunda St crossing - unlike every other Northbourne intersection, no work has commenced here. The plan is for a new right turn lane northbound allowing turns into Bunda St, but there will be no right turn from Northbourne into Rudd. (So will this be where the first collision will occur?)

No work commenced? Not right they have done quite a lot, and in fact the road surface for the turn lane is there. You can see it when they have the gates open. No gutters as yet. What they have done is mostly behind the wall. And of course at the weekend the overhead went up in this area, quite messy owing to the double crossover.

Here we are certainly doing the overhead works a lot heavier than say in Melbourne especially at crossovers. Here a complete new run of overhead including tensioners and extra support arms are being used, whereas Melbourne they install a 3 way joiner (for want of the technical description) in the overhead and attach the crossing overhead to it.

And looking at Dickson again the other day I am now not 100% sure if the crossover has been installed. The overhead certainly doesn't look like they have installed the crossover contact wire, that said the supports where it should be are different to elsewhere, so maybe still to come.

As for first collision, I am not quite sure why this intersection would be any 'riskier' than any other. That said I would think it would be a good idea to condition people to the no southbound turn and no stop in middle right hand turn well before service starts. Some people drive by habit rather than what they see on the road.

Barry Drive

I stand corrected.

I actually checked out the Dickson crossover today. Yes, the track is built. But there is no additional overhead wiring. Perhaps it's coming later.

As for the OHW layout, maybe it's because we now use pantographs rather than trolley poles. I also notice they terminate each run of contact wires at regular intervals.

triumph

Quote from: ajw373 on September 17, 2018, 05:10:41 PM
As for first collision, I am not quite sure why this intersection would be any 'riskier' than any other. That said I would think it would be a good idea to condition people to the no southbound turn and no stop in middle right hand turn well before service starts. Some people drive by habit rather than what they see on the road.

The last sentence is critical! Taking that into account is fundamental good traffic engineering practice. The most effective way is to alter the visual environment and the traffic layout as much as practical to make it look quite different and so reduce as much as possible, the 'drive to habit'. We have recently seen a crash at the intersection of Barry Dr/McCaughey St intersection said to have been caused by habit combined with a change in traffic light phasing. The worst bad example I was aware of was the reversal of priority of Argyle/Burnett Sts intersection just using ordinary Give Way signs in Hobart some 50 decades ago. (Argyle St had been a long term priority route which even had to be memorised for licence tests.) The crashes were common and even police cars were seen to drive absentmindedly through on the former priority route. Eventually, after a week or so, steps to alter the appearance were taken.

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on September 17, 2018, 07:12:29 PM
As for the OHW layout, maybe it's because we now use pantographs rather than trolley poles.

Melbourne trams have used pantagraphs for at least a decade or so. I understand that even the heritage W class have now been retrofitted as the overhead no longer supports the use of pole shoes/wheels. No doubt current OH & S would have been an issue too.

My personal opinion is that the overhead could have been neater with the poles given some 'architectural' value. To my eye the poles are rather intrusive and plain with excessive unnecessary projecting height giving them an 'unfinished' look. Even just finials would help.

triumph

Usual Monday inspection from route 200 service.

Prior boarding bus viewed Gungahlin stop from the footpaths. Again no indication of  stop construction proceeding again - paving and conduit work is in midstride. But something has happened. Both tracks have large collision buffer blocks. They appear to be attached to the rail, and have 'anticlimb' plates and a recess where a coupler from behind the vehicle skirt might lodge. The arrangement probably includes collision energy attenuation by the blocks being able to resistantly move back along the rail.

At the station departure end, each track is provided with a 3 aspect signal with the two lower aspect having a '+' shaped pattern visible. Slightly further towards the scissors crossover, as previously mentioned, are the 2 aspect  signals for each track (also at the approach to the crossing from the City end). Trees have been planted in such a way that some of the 2 aspect signals are at risk of being obscured. The crossing is posted at 15kph.

Vehicle 009 arrived on the Northbound track into the station and departed via the crossing on the Southbound track. Vehicle 003 (yet to be shown on the end modules) then similarly arrived and departed. The signals and points (switches, turnouts) were not being operated.

Trivia observed from this:
- the points are 'trailerable' ie they don't have to be set for merging movements, the wheels push point blades aside as necessary. The points into the crossover for departing vehicles were thus just left set full time to divert the vehicle to the Southbound track;
- traditionally trams have a mechanical bell operated by a foot pedal. Our light rail vehicles also have a bell, but with a powered ringer rather than the traditional single rings;
- the vehicles also are equipped with a horn.

Nearly all rails are now in the slots with a short length South of the Dickson Interchange with sections from just North of Wakefield St to just S of Ipima St still to do.

Overhead has been erected from Cooyong St into the City terminus but is still to be erected back to just North of Wakefield Ave.

Bus 503

According to the Canberra Meteo website, the Unimog was supposed to travel to Dickson last night.

ajw373

Quote from: Bus 503 on September 27, 2018, 05:51:59 AM
According to the Canberra Meteo website, the Unimog was supposed to travel to Dickson last night.

Judging by the amount of construction hardware on the tracks this morning including curing tents over the tracks adjacent to the Antill street intersection I doubt this run happened.

If it did I doubt it would have went any further south than Philip Ave.

Barry Drive

Unless it's changed, the website says "preparations to test vehicles down into Dickson will commence on Wednesday night." It didn't specifically say the Unimog will travel Dickson on Wednesday, just that it will be the first vehicle to do so.

A variable message sign does warn of "Tram Testing Nightly" on Northbourne Avenue, but the latest reports from The Canberra Times suggests that's now scheduled for mid-October.

Also, Trams 12 & 13 are meant to be doing brake testing today (and yesterday).

The Dickson crossover now has signals installed. The overhead is unchanged which leads me to wonder whether the trams will be able to switch tracks without the need for a third wire. The tracks are close enough that the pantograph might be able to retain contact. Will only know when it's finished, I suppose.

ajw373

Quote from: Barry Drive on September 28, 2018, 11:34:40 AM
Unless it's changed, the website says "preparations to test vehicles down into Dickson will commence on Wednesday night." It didn't specifically say the Unimog will travel Dickson on Wednesday, just that it will be the first vehicle to do so.

English is such a wonderful language isn't it? Other than actually running the Unimog down, what preparations would they need to do before testing commences? Taking the meaning of the word preparation to its fullest one could argue the preparations started the moment the whole project was conceived? I do however believe in the more contextual meaning, which to me and the person who posted about the Unimog, which is it was meant to be the Unimog that was going to do a run. Again based on what I've seen I think it will be at least a week before the track allignment is clear enough of regular work for that to occur.

Quote from: Barry Drive on September 28, 2018, 11:34:40 AMThe Dickson crossover now has signals installed. The overhead is unchanged which leads me to wonder whether the trams will be able to switch tracks without the need for a third wire. The tracks are close enough that the pantograph might be able to retain contact. Will only know when it's finished, I suppose.

I've never seen any railway system, heavy or light where the overhead is close enough that a panto could be in contact with two overheads on parallel tracks at the same time. What I am guessing is because it is a single crossover that they will use a more traditional method of installing a wire similar to what is in the picture below. Basically clamp a Y piece on the main through contact wire and then connect a wire in between. And yes I know the one in the picture below is for a trolley wire system (Sydney Tramway museum) but principle much the same.

https://www.sydneytramwaymuseum.com.au/tramway/images/MP_Loftus_13-10-21_014a.jpg

https://www.sydneytramwaymuseum.com.au/tramway/images/MP_Loftus_13-10-21_039a.jpg

ajw373

Driven down Flemmington Road a few times in the past week or so. Today around 5pm there were 6 trams out on the tracks. One was getting attached to the unimog (interestingly on the Gungahlin end, so no idea where they were taking it) and two were coupled together.

On Friday afternoon or could have been saturday I saw the rail grinder on the section to the south of the Wollies.

As for the debate about the wire on the crossover near Dickson, I noticed today, but driving didn't have a close look, but looks like the Flemmington Road crossovers near Nullabor Ave stop don't have a wire over the top. Not sure if it is to be done later, or if maybe the trams have a battery pack fitted (which I know is a CAF option) to enable a short off wire cross. Though you would think if that were the case you would think they wouldn't be needed at the terminus crossovers either.

And still looks like it will be at least a week or two before anything can go on the track south of Flemmington Rd. Though the section south of the existing test area does now have the coloured test status signs.

triumph

Wikipaedia mentions that CAF has an option for supercapacitor fitment to allow for brief operations without overhead. CAF calls it ACR standing for Acumulator de Carga Rapido.

I couldn't confirm this on a CAF website.

Questions are:
How brief?
Is this the wire free system contemplated for Stage 2?
Is the present fleet fitted with the option? (If it is the full stage 2 system, then the present fleet is only fitted for not with.)

On this aspect, the Newcastle, NSW 2.7km new system, which also will use Urbos 3-100, is wire free with charging via 'overhead bars' at stops.   

ajw373

The supercapacitor is something a bit different. The Canberra one don't have them fitted but they are modular and can be fitted later. I am talking about standard batteries which are a standard item.

And BTW the Newcastle light rail vehicles are near identical to the Canberra ones. Canberra is also using the Urbos 3 100. The 100 refers to the floor being 100% low floor.

As for if the CAF system is being investigated for Canberra I would say the answer is yes. There are of course difficulties, which will come about regardless of what is chosen. The obvious one is stage 1 is a PPP for Gungahlin to the City only. What happens if a different company gets stage 2? That may mean different vehicles and a raft of other issues integrating the two. If the same company gets stage 2 then maybe not such a big issue.

Barry Drive

I've checked this today. There is definitely a wire above the Nullarbor Av crossover track.

As for the one at Dickson: still no wire, but it looks as though it will be installed very soon. (All OHW is reportedly due to be completed this week.)

And still at Dickson, the Murdoch St crossing has now been closed with work on the U turn bay underway. No sign of new traffic light poles at this stage.

ajw373

I'll have to take a closer look next time I am going down Flemmington Road. Hard to have a good gander when driving.

And think it is a bit optimistic for the overhead to be done this week. Next maybe. There is still a short section missing between Condamine Street and Barry Drive, maybe they will install the wire this weekend, and then it takes them a few days to fully fit it off. And also I've come to learn when Canberra Metro say finished they don't ever really mean finished. Mostly yes, but fully, no way.

Take for example testing to Dickson. That is still not even close. But getting there slowly.

And one thing that I find annoying, and I guess bus drivers would too is how the tram track works are all essentially done down Flemmington Road, especially north of Sandford street but the road is still a works zone. It looks like all they need to do is lay down a top layer of asphalt, but nothing what so ever for many a month. I cannot think of any logical reason for it to not have been done by now. And I reckon the thing will open before the end of the year, maybe just maybe, but still plenty of work left to be done on Northborne Ave.

ajw373

Quote from: Barry Drive on October 09, 2018, 08:36:01 PM

As for the one at Dickson: still no wire, but it looks as though it will be installed very soon. (All OHW is reportedly due to be completed this week.)

The contact wire over the Dickson crossover was installed today. And they appear to have started putting up the gear they use to pull on new wire on the last section of track without wire. I would imagine they will pull that up this weekend as it goes over two intersections and fit it off next week. It's a reasonably short section too. There are 3 sections from the terminus to Condamine Street.

triumph

Had a look today from Rte 200 bus, just over 3 weeks since last summary. Not all that much to add now that visible major works are nearly complete.

There appears to have been no progress on paving etc at Gungahlin stop - that wheel barrow has not even been moved since last visit. There was action though at bus stop platform 3 - 5 recently placed large pavers were being jackhammered off. It is surprising so little effort has been made to complete this and tidy the site which is rather prominent to the public.

Overhead: The crossovers at Nullabor Ave and Dickson Interchange are wired.
Despite being in position now for some weeks, there is still work being done at various locations South of the Depot.
It appears operations are still basically in the section Nullabor Ave to Gungahlin. Earth safety connections (temporary conductor from overhead to rail) were in place further South.
The overhead wire is yet to be placed in the section from just North of Girrawheen Ave, South to vicinity of McKay St, but workers in elevating platforms were active, so this final piece cannot be far from placement.

Rails are now all placed and work to place landscaping soil South of Michell is in progress, including sections between the Dickson Interchange and the City. Never-the-less much detail work seems to be still necessary and Capital Metro mentions traffic light work pending.

As other posts have made clear, there is still a lot of obstructing materials, equipment, etc to clear to make way for vehicle testing between the Mitchell and the Dickson Interchange. But workers using blowers and brooms were tidying the track at some locations. A concerted effort in the coming week could still see testing get underway.

LR vehicles were observed as follows:-
Just South of Nullabor Ave on Southbound track 007, 012 and on North bound track 002.
Just North of Nullabor Ave on Southbound track 009 and an unidentified, un-numbered vehicle on Northbound track.
In Gungahlin Station on Northbound track was 004, another vehicle without its number in position.
Returning later, there was a vehicle on the Southbound track just North of the stop near Manning Clark (North).

At Manning Clark (South) station the level crossing departing South is posted for lightrail at 50kph and immediately after the crossing at 70. Will road traffic in Flemington Rd also be restricted to 50 passing the station? Other-wise it seems illogical and also detrimental to achieving the required transit time.

All stations now have roofs up. Stations Dickson Interchange to City are all of the two platform variety. 

Busnerd

Road traffic follow the road traffic signs, not the light rail speed limits, the road speed limits will be 70 on Flemington Rd in both directions, assuming it may drop to 60 for the single lane section after Manning Clark up to Kate Crace Street.

triumph

Quote from: Busnerd on October 12, 2018, 09:48:46 AM
Road traffic follow the road traffic signs, not the light rail speed limits, the road speed limits will be 70 on Flemington Rd in both directions, assuming it may drop to 60 for the single lane section after Manning Clark up to Kate Crace Street.

That was my point. Why constrain Light Rail to 50 across the level crossing (presumably with thoughts for traffic/pedestrian safety) if the adjacent parallel road traffic continues to be subject to a 70 speed limit? Not much difference to being hit by a truck cruising through at 70 to being hit by a light rail vehicle cruising through at 70. As I said, illogical.

In the location mentioned in earlier post, the proximity of the stop to the crossing tends to render the 50 limit irrelevant for stopping services. (If, as has been mentioned previously, all public services are to stop, even if no passengers are to get on/off, it might just be reasonable that non-stop non-public services are slowed to match expectations of normality.)

ajw373

Quote from: triumph on October 12, 2018, 10:28:29 AM
That was my point. Why constrain Light Rail to 50 across the level crossing (presumably with thoughts for traffic/pedestrian safety) if the adjacent parallel road traffic continues to be subject to a 70 speed limit? Not much difference to being hit by a truck cruising through at 70 to being hit by a light rail vehicle cruising through at 70. As I said, illogical.

In the location mentioned in earlier post, the proximity of the stop to the crossing tends to render the 50 limit irrelevant for stopping services. (If, as has been mentioned previously, all public services are to stop, even if no passengers are to get on/off, it might just be reasonable that non-stop non-public services are slowed to match expectations of normality.)

The speed limit signs are an aid to the driver, hence why they are so close together in parts. Don't try and read too much into them or somehow try and correlate them to standard road rules. Two different things and for two different reasons.

And I have no doubt what so ever that the speeds vehicles will be travelling at along the whole route has been reflected in the total running time.

Busnerd

Think of it from a rail point of view, a lot of 'level crossings' or in this case, intersections with road traffic, generally have lower speeds, as these are areas more likely of having an accident with road traffic or pedestrians, no doubt the lower speed limits across intersections would be in place to allow the vehicles to stop faster, but like you've said, a lot of stops are right before or after intersections so they wouldn't be doing 50 there anyway.

triumph

As of lunchtime today the contact wire was deployed along the remaining section in Northbourne Ave. It is presently still in some of the pulley sheaves but work was being carried out on attaching it to the spreaders.

triumph

Canberra Metro, in an update, says the overhead was completed last weekend. Near enough, it appears complete, when viewed casually, but a close look revealed tags dangling down and main cables at a support pole do not seem to be connected yet.

Barry Drive

Also this week, it looks like the final segment of track was laid - just north of Ipima St.

ajw373

Quote from: triumph on October 19, 2018, 09:08:42 PM
Canberra Metro, in an update, says the overhead was completed last weekend. Near enough, it appears complete, when viewed casually, but a close look revealed tags dangling down and main cables at a support pole do not seem to be connected yet.

Their idea of complete is a little bit on the liberal side. Complete, maybe looks complete, but as you mention still much to be done when you look closely.

They have 10 weeks until years end. I have a feeling their statement that the line will open in December 2018 will, like "complete" have a rather rubbery meaning. Maybe only open from Gungahlin to Mapleton Ave for example.

And they still do not appear to be even close to running tests south of the depot. North of the depot to Mapleton Ave it does look they they have finished, except for the stops, but I am yet to see any test running between the depot and Mapelton. Anyone know if they swap out the test trams under their own power now or still use the unimog?

And on the Federal highway going by what they have done this week it looks like they have some conduit problems. They have dug up one side of the freshly planted garden bed and are laying new power and data conduits and pits, and there was a special duct camera van on Northborne Ave. I'm betting some of the conduits have been damaged. Also interesting is along Flemmington Road, south of the depot and along the federal highway they have attached a conduit to the side of the slab and have run a optical fibre cable in it. Again wonder if some of the ducts in the slab have become damaged.

Barry Drive

Meant to post this earlier, but I forgot:

Although, I now have my doubts even about construction being complete by December.

Canberra Metro have now advised the Rudd / Bunda St permanent traffic arrangements will take effect from next week. I don't travel past there regularly, so I assume the intersection modifications and traffic lights are nearly completed.

The Swinden St intersection is nearing completion, although I haven't heard when it will be open for traffic. (Presumably, the U-turn bays on the Northbourne Ave service roads will be worked on once Swinden is open for through traffic.)

And finally, I've seen work get underway for the traffic lights at Morphett St and the extension of the pedestrian crossing lights from the Dickson Interchange stop.

Barry Drive

Quote from: ajw373 on October 23, 2018, 08:24:52 PM
And they still do not appear to be even close to running tests south of the depot. North of the depot to Mapleton Ave it does look they they have finished, except for the stops, but I am yet to see any test running between the depot and Mapelton. Anyone know if they swap out the test trams under their own power now or still use the unimog?

I have seen trams running north from the Sandford St intersection. My understanding is that the depot is still unpowered (as of last week anyway), but the main track from outside the depot does have power. (If you travel along Flemington Road, you will see the "RED" status signs - this designates that the OHW is live.)

Bus 503

When will testing from the depot to Dickson start? I understood it would begin in mid October but it's past that now and there hasn't been any update from Canberra Metro for a while regarding this. Originally, I thought testing to Dickson would start in mid September but I guess I must have read it wrongly.

Also, now that all the tracks are in and the power poles and wire connected, is there really that much left to do? All I can think of is landscaping, finishing the shelters on Northbourne and adding tram lights to intersections (still not done on Girawheen).

Sylvan Loves Buses

There's the couple hundred hazardous trees they need to replace, different speed tests at all points of the track and probably the eventual press release.

ajw373

Quote from: Bus 503 on October 27, 2018, 09:17:01 AM
When will testing from the depot to Dickson start? I understood it would begin in mid October but it's past that now and there hasn't been any update from Canberra Metro for a while regarding this. Originally, I thought testing to Dickson would start in mid September but I guess I must have read it wrongly.

Also, now that all the tracks are in and the power poles and wire connected, is there really that much left to do? All I can think of is landscaping, finishing the shelters on Northbourne and adding tram lights to intersections (still not done on Girawheen).

Overhead isn't connected in all places.

As for what else to do also a heap of Comms and monitoring, that's what's running down the fibre cable. And both is where there could be some issues as mentioned above they have been laying new conduits along the Federal Highway and there is a fibre cable in what in hope is a temporary cable running from the depot to as far Antil Street. The conduit is more or less on the surface next to the track along that section.

Then there is testing, testing and more testing.

Busnerd

For the few questions above, as per how it works in sydney, bus plans are in place for rail disruptions, in that event, sydney trains calls any and every bus company to cover, whatever buses get out there is what replaces the services, if it happens in peak then it's even more of a disaster. Sometimes bus companies will remove them off regular services - such as ones with a high frequency to provide the emergency rail buses, other than that, companies call drivers who are off or will cancel route services to try and get buses in, there is no 'dedicated fleet' to use in a service disruption, different story for planned trackwork though.

As for testing to Dickson, testing to Mitchell hasn't even started yet. There is no 'hazardous trees' that need removing, the main reasons for the delays appear to be those that ajw373 has mentioned being the main ones, besides those dramas, it is mainly smaller issues here and there, or things not being 100% or up to standard that they have to keep going back to make perfect before they will be used.

As for implementation dates, It was always my assumption it will run prior to the bus network coming in, so that people can use it and try it out before their buses are taken away, to have the buses start first would screw things up as you say, meaning they would have to run a temporary 200 from Gungahlin to the City, which given the renaults at fyshwick are still registered, they may be called on to re-enter service to boost the fleet size i order to do this, given that route is only around 30 mins from Gungahlin to the city inclusive of turnaround times and runs at a 15 min frequency, although 6 mins would be requried to match tram timetable, they still wouldn't need too many buses, maybe 10 buses could just make it work.

triumph

Comment I have heard is that Canberra Metro is still entertaining hopes of starting operations late January or early Feb. But they also said testing to Dickson to start early to middle of last month. A case of 'hope springs eternal'? Certainly they would be bleeding money paying construction crews, operational staff, etc for no income and thus they do have a very substantial incentive.

In regard to the missed availability payment(s), it is not clear if these are missed for good, or will be recovered by an adjustment to the contracted operation end date. Never-the-less there is still a significant financing cost in the late start to the payments.

Last night the rail grinding machine was hard at work in Northbourne Ave between the City and Dickson. Just why is this necessary? Is it general grinding or just dressing the welded joints (which is undersatndable)? When the rail was delivered the media reported that it had been specially formulated/treated to give a very long life. It is hard to see how general grinding of brand new rail would benefit life expectancy. It might also be expected that manufactured dimensional tolerance quality would be more than good enough to obviate the need for general grinding. Hopefully, it is just spot dressing.

Driving past Dickson today to the Barton Highway, there is still materials, etc obstructing the track so testing to Dickson still seems to be a few days away.

Likewise the elevating bucket used for catenary work is still on site. 

ajw373

They grind the rails to properly profile them. And not just at joints etc it is all along the line.

Busnerd

Which gives a smoother ride overall, they shouldn't need to be done too often, especially once the LRV's start running over them daily.

triumph

Quote from: ajw373 on November 04, 2018, 12:45:31 AM
They grind the rails to properly profile them. And not just at joints etc it is all along the line.

That is surprising considering modern quality control and that the rails are factory new. What sort of rail faults are you suggesting? Lack of smoothness and profile accuracy in manufacture, or slight misalignments (twists, etc) during installation?

I tend to associate grinding with correction of wear after a considerable period of use, but on reflection do seem to recall the Sydney Tram Museum many years ago lending their rail grinder for some work on a new line (Eastern Suburbs??).

ajw373

Quote from: triumph on November 04, 2018, 11:01:04 PM
That is surprising considering modern quality control and that the rails are factory new. What sort of rail faults are you suggesting? Lack of smoothness and profile accuracy in manufacture, or slight misalignments (twists, etc) during installation?

I tend to associate grinding with correction of wear after a considerable period of use, but on reflection do seem to recall the Sydney Tram Museum many years ago lending their rail grinder for some work on a new line (Eastern Suburbs??).

I don't believe the installation method gives a true enough finish hence the need for post installation gridding.

As for the eastern suburbs line yes the tramway museum scrubber was used. It was also used on the SLR when it first opened in the mid 90's. Whilst scrubbing has an element of grinding it is no where to the same extent as a grinder and for mostly different reasons.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yeah, not every rail strip is identically perfectly shaped as the next, gotta smooth them out to be just right. ;)

ajw373

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 05, 2018, 08:15:50 AM
Yeah, not every rail strip is identically perfectly shaped as the next, gotta smooth them out to be just right. ;)

Profiling is more than just smoothing the tracks out. One very important aspect is getting the correct camber especially on curves.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yes of course, especially the intersection of Flemington and Federal, must be quite the workout.

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 05, 2018, 11:14:26 PM
Yes of course, especially the intersection of Flemington and Federal, must be quite the workout.

Are you suggesting that the curve is superelevated? Or that the wheel/rail interface requires a different cross-sectional profile on curves?

As traffic has to cross the Flemington Rd/Federal Highway curve, it is unlikely to be super-elevated. With regard to the profile on curves, AJW373 seems to be well informed and perhaps can clarify this some more.

The latest construction progress report for the tram project at Newcastle, NSW mentions rail grinding in all sectors. So local grinding is pretty well confirmed as current usual practice.   

Sylvan Loves Buses

I don't know? Geez dude, I was only hypothesising. I don't know much about lightrail other than they're fun to ride...

I have few fond memories left of the old Sydney trams with Cadbury Chocolate AOAs from when I was young, don't ruin them for me :'(

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 07, 2018, 02:26:01 PM
I don't know? Geez dude, I was only hypothesising. I don't know much about lightrail other than they're fun to ride...

I have few fond memories left of the old Sydney trams with Cadbury Chocolate AOAs from when I was young, don't ruin them for me :'(

Sorry. You made a point of the curve at Flemington Rd/Federal Highway needing 'quite a workout'. So I wanted to know more. (We agree on Cadbury's - I have a memory of living for a period within sight of a Cadbury chocolate factory.)

Sylvan Loves Buses

I don't go that way very often, but I do know that intersection is on a cambered corner, that's why I made that remark. I did go past when the works were putting the tracks in place and again some time after, so I just assumed additional work would be necessary due to the additional stress a cambered turn could/would cause for tram tracks.

Ooh, my 1000th post Yay! #noonecares #foreveralone

ajw373

The curve I was thinking of is where Flemington road does an almost 90' bend heading into the town centre. That is a high speed curve. The right camber there is very important to ensure the track doesn't suffer excessive wear and tear. The track bed design and rail construction and installation should have it covered but there will be slight variations that would need to be sorted otherwise the ride could be a bit rough with higher tracks wear.   

It is less important on slow speed curves like Flemington Rd and Federal Highway because the speed is low anyway and the curve is tight so there is going to be flange on rail contact anyway. 

Elsewhere the actual track surface needs to be angled slightly in, think about 10 degrees that's the rail profile. From the factory it will be that way anyway but slight variances, eg minor twisting that may not be visible to the eye during installation may throw that out of whack. So making sure that is true is important. We are talking mm's here.

And before some picks me up on it camber isn't actually the correct railway technology. Just cannot think of the proper term at the moment. But same thing as camber just different terminology.

triumph

Taken route 200 a while ago and again today to have a look.
Now that the track and overhead is done, there is not so much progress to watch.
More paving has been done at Gungahlin terminus and 2 groups were at work there today. Typical of the stage now reached in the project, there is much fiddly detail to be completed. One worker at Gungahlin today kneeling down was masking off various small paving joints and then inserting sealing filler compound into the gaps.

2 LRVs, one on each side, were in the compound between Manning Clarke Cr and Kate Crace St, with 2 more on the N bound track one each side of Nullabor Ave. Obviously not in use as there were workers on the track at both Nullabor Ave and Wells Station Dr and at the Gungahlin Terminus. Didn't notice visually much camber/cant/superelevation on the long curve in Flemington Rd but would need a better look and a spirit level to check properly.

From Sandford St to the South there were groups of workers all along but concentrated mainly at stops, intersections and pedestrian crossing locations. Again much of the work appeared to be detail and finishing but also some substantial looking drainage/pipe work. The obviously incomplete work is stop fitout/detailing/equipping.

Much landscaping has been done over the whole length right to the City with a bogie steer bogie drive heavy water cart patrolling to spray irrigate the new plantings.

There is still material and work in the Depot to Dickson section though it is now much tidier. The Northbourne Ave section Antill St - Barton Highway is to be closed this weekend so perhaps some intensive effort is planned.

As of 30th Oct the Depot overhead was still not energised. LRV013 was inspected by a technical group of visitors to the Depot that day, and today was at Nullabor Ave. Besides the Unimog there is a shunting tractor unit to move LRVs about within the Depot. The Depot maintenance building incorporates jacks to enable whole LRVs to be lifted with very modern and comprehensive maintenance/repair facilities. It appears overhead wiring terminates at bay entries. On the next floor are staff and amenity facilities and a control area looking out over the the general LRV operational area with fit out almost complete. Impressive looking. Turnouts, it was learnt, will be mainly driver controlled with ones not used regularly manually operated. The point being it is a light rail system, not a railway.

Bus 400

It looked like tracks were being relaid on Flemington Road outside Mitchell Tip yesterday, with the plastic sheet giveaway.

Busnerd

The Tram Pictogram sign went up at Manning Clark yesterday, it is integrated with the light pole on the 'ramp' section of the platform, and has two LED lights sticking out either side and a box on top with the sign on it, hoping it will be illuminated also!

Also all stops from Nullarbor to Gungahlin now have the PID screens installed on all platforms, Gungahlin had it's glass panels installed over the weekend, also noted some new speed signs on standard street sign sized poles now on the Nullarbor - Gungahlin section of track, of note, there was a sign near Wizard Street with 65 as the speed limit near the big curve which was 70 prior.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 11, 2018, 07:25:07 PM
It looked like tracks were being relaid on Flemington Road outside Mitchell Tip yesterday, with the plastic sheet giveaway.
Can't remember the exact location, but saw similar at a mid block crossing location somewhere between Macarthur and Murdoch on Friday.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I don't know if it will have caused any additional delay with the works, but some idiot crashed their car through the barrier at the City Station this afternoon causing much chaos at the intersection with peak and the buses crossing to and from the Interchange.

triumph

Have viewed the work several times from a route 200 bus since last post.

The work now seems to be proceeding at a glacial pace particularly at Gungahlin terminus. The work progress and effort is more perception than fact, though I feel that the tremendous effort evident before November has reverted back to a more normal effort.

Work is and has been concentrated at pedestrian crossovers, intersections and stations with apparently much, in aggregate, still to happen. I suspect that the consortium was perhaps a little caught out with the amount of, and time required to do, minor (in the whole scheme of things) finishing works such as pedestrian accesses, services details, pavement finalisations, etc., especially as some involve small successive concrete pours and associated curing periods. It is surprising though that so much traffic light work was needed so late in the project.

The LRV is now S of Macarthur Ave and the big question is when it wiil arrive at the City terminus??

ajw373

009 is now back at Dickson. Though unless I am mistaken it is now on a different track. Before I think it was on the Gungahlin bound track. Now it is on the city bound track.

Busnerd

The rubbish bins and seats were in at Nullarbor yesterday, also some road resurfacing has taken place recently at the Manning Clark Intersection, although lines are yet to be marked. Well Station intersection was also re-surfaced over the weekend and new line markings down.

triumph

Quote from: ajw373 on December 12, 2018, 08:27:28 AM
009 is now back at Dickson. Though unless I am mistaken it is now on a different track. Before I think it was on the Gungahlin bound track. Now it is on the city bound track.

9.15pm this evening an LRV was on the City Bound side at Dickson with the Unimog attached at the Northern end. 1/2hr later it and the Unimog were at the Barton Highway junction. Perhaps checking track etc details prior to next test phase of powering up.

ajw373

Speaking of powering up I drove past the section you are talking about (between flemmington rd and barton how) earlier in the week and they were installing quite a large power cable into the underground duct work. Hard to know even from the size of it is a DC cable or AC feeder cable for the sub stations.

Bit of a a surprise as would have thought that was done a long time also. Guess really shows how far behind they are on quite a number of things.

ajw373

Quote from: triumph on December 12, 2018, 11:48:33 PM
9.15pm this evening an LRV was on the City Bound side at Dickson with the Unimog attached at the Northern end. 1/2hr later it and the Unimog were at the Barton Highway junction. Perhaps checking track etc details prior to next test phase of powering up.

Seeing as there were no LRV's on Northborne Ave or Federal Hwy today, I would suggest they were taking it back to the depot.

Only 3 LRV's out today, 2 near Gunaghlin town centre and one near the Franklin Woolies. Interestingly never taken much notice of the destitution signs but the two at Gungahlin were powered up but stopped in the area where they store them. One had the desto set to Gungahlin and the other Allinga Street, but both said (Excl EPIC). Which makes me wonder if there are no events on at EPIC if the LRV's will not stop there. Otherwise seems a strange sign to have programmed.

Northside

Quote from: ajw373 on December 13, 2018, 06:45:57 PM
One had the desto set to Gungahlin and the other Allinga Street, but both said (Excl EPIC). Which makes me wonder if there are no events on at EPIC if the LRV's will not stop there. Otherwise seems a strange sign to have programmed.

Early documentation had EPIC as a "special events only" stop, so yeas, it would seem that most services will not stop there. I assume that means the PnR will not be returning. There was a promise of a PnR on Well Station, so I wonder if/when that will occur.

ajw373

The lack of park and rides to me is the biggest failing in the light rail project.

I doubt that we will ever get to a stage where travel from the suburbs will ever be able to compete with cars except on cost, so to me the best thing to a)decrease car use and b)increase public transport use is more and better structured park and rides.

I've raised this on other forums and have been howled down, but from my exercisable in other car friendly locations, take the US and even regional UK and France having park and rides connect to the city centre with good quality public transport goes a very long way.

And I too am curious what has happened to the Well station Drive park and ride. The reason the stop is on the city side rather than the side where the houses are is to service the park and ride. But no mention has been made of it for an awful long time now. And EPIC of course would be another ideal place for one. Outside of maybe 4 major events a year during the week day it is one big empty space. The only thing that goes against it as a park and ride location is access to major roads.

Bus 400

A tender has gone out for a new set of bus stops on Well Station Dr just near Flemington Rd.

In the plans for the bus stops, it does show the Park & Ride area marked as "work by others".

The big concern probably is who would use the Park & Ride? With Well Station Drive providing access to a soon to be completed Horse Park Drive & even Gungahlin Drive doesn't back up like it use to. A little bit of money could be spent duplicating Well Station to provide for more people then the P&R could.

Busnerd

I would like to see Well Station duplicated, even if not between Horse Park and Flemington, but definitely between Flemington and Sandford Street, although I've never really seen it bank up, but it would work well once these new bus stops are added, presumably for new Network 19 routes to interchange with the Light Rail, I'm sure a Park N' Ride would be convenient in this location too for residents of outer suburbs such as Forde, Throsby etc. to sneak around the back and park and hop onto the LR into the city.

ajw373

Quote from: Bus 400 on December 14, 2018, 09:57:13 PM
The big concern probably is who would use the Park & Ride? With Well Station Drive providing access to a soon to be completed Horse Park Drive & even Gungahlin Drive doesn't back up like it use to. A little bit of money could be spent duplicating Well Station to provide for more people then the P&R could.

People like me who work in the city where parking is getting scarce and expensive.

The thing about Wells Station Drive is it is easily accessible from 3 of the 4 main roads out of Gungahlin and all of them are easily accessible to every suburb in Gungahlin. So to me perfect location. EPIC has more room but less direct access.

Busnerd

EPIC Would only be convenient for residents in Watson and Hackett, and even then it's a bit out of the way, would take them longer to get to work but would probably be cheaper once you include parking costs at $50 - $75 a week

Stan butler

Quote from: Busnerd on December 14, 2018, 10:50:39 PM
I would like to see Well Station duplicated, even if not between Horse Park and Flemington,

I would like to see the 2 roundabouts on well station drive fixed.  Coming from horse park drive, the rise and curvature on these roundabouts are a real hazard.  Really don't know how they meet safety standards.

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on July 12, 2018, 12:12:30 PM
Urbos *100 (refers to 100% low floor).

For absolutely sure? No. But I'm fairly certain it's 2.65m. All the interior photos make it look like it's wider than a bus.

A senior manager of Metro Operations has now made it clear that Canberra has the widest width.

ajw373

Quote from: triumph on December 19, 2018, 04:37:55 PM
A senior manager of Metro Operations has now made it clear that Canberra has the widest width.

There are 3 widths available in the Urbos 3 family and Canberra does indeed have the widest version at 2.65m.

triumph

One of the issues leading to the completion delay is the complex interaction between various approvals, with some  required by other approvals and accreditation. Apparently because light rail had never before been done in Canberra, the ACT had no procedure in place to issue some of the approvals involved. This apparently lead to some activities having to be put on hold while approval issue or exemption processes were put in place.

(A theoretical example illustrating the sort of issues that can arise, was my experience on moving from Queensland. I had an about to expire Queensland Flagperson licence/permit which couldn't be transferred, because at that time the ACT did not issue Flagperson licences/permits. Nor could it be renewed in Queensland as I no longer was a Queensland resident. Any national accreditation, or say an insurance policy, requiring the applicant, among other things, to demonstrate Flagpersons were in possession of such a qualification would have been stymied, leading to delay while it was sorted out. Boat licences are another example, fortunately overcome here by NSW issuing their licence to ACT residents.)

ajw373

What should be a positive light rail article, saying there are only $7m in variations, has been turned into a negative headline by the ever helpful Canberra Crimes.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/politics/act/30-000-for-a-bird-s-eye-view-of-light-rail-20190101-p50p1w.html

triumph

Quote from: ajw373 on January 02, 2019, 01:19:57 PM
What should be a positive light rail article, saying there are only $7m in variations, has been turned into a negative headline by the ever helpful Canberra Crimes.

Hear hear. Check out the Sydney project for real issues.

Negative comments also abound in letters to the editor. Most commentators and letter writers choose to quote the whole cost and imply the entire cost could be freely transferred to non-transport needs such as health. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is also often baldly stated that buses are better/cheaper.

The problem is that non-transport benefits and non-direct cost benefits such as ride quality, are being ignored, thus  apples are being compared with oranges.

The light rail has to supply and maintain its entire system including its vehicles, right of way, all that landscaping, and, during construction,  adjustment to services. We are never told how much money will be saved from the ACT budget from acquiring fewer buses, from no longer maintaining the previous median and landscaping, from not constructing otherwise needed bus (and perhaps extra traffic) lanes along the route, nor what budget expenditure is avoided by the maintenance, upgrading, and cleaning of ACT services undertaken during construction (yes, the savings may be indirect where they accrue to the Government businesses such as ICON, which in turn benefits potential 'dividends' receivable by the Government).

Now by comparison, how much cost does Transport Canberra/ACTION attribute to ACTION for maintenance of roads used by buses? (For many suburban streets, bus use is the main heavy vehicle use which requires stronger pavement construction and accelerates deterioration. Just look carefully to see pavement deterioration/failures in progress near quite a few  stops.) Does ACTION maintain the median in Adelaide Ave between the bus lanes? Was the cost of recently provided bus lanes attributed to ACTION? Does ACTION pay fuel tax and how much is likely to be recouped from Federal Grants? What flexibility value (and flexibility has its downside of insecurity of routes) and poorer ride values are attributed? And so on.

I do not have the answers, but the point is that comparisons are complex indeed, and the local paper is letting citizens down by not addressing the pros and cons adequately, and allowing the almost complete dominance of negative letters to the editor.

Toyota Camry

It is looking like much of the electrical work for stage 1 will be need to be re-done; I am predicting an opening delayed until 2020.

With the L1 to be most likely operated using buses from April 27th, in addition to the new network, it is looking highly likely that the withdrawn Renaults at both Fyshwick and Tuggeranong will be reactivated; I am tipping that L1 will be operated exclusively with articulated and 14.5m vehicles.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/act/white-elephant-fears-canberra-light-rail-network-won-t-be-certified-20181213-p50m69.html

ajw373

It must be the apprentice getting his kickers in a knot. Because who ever passed that info to the Canberra crimes doesn't know much.

For high voltage power the depth is 750mm but can be as low as 100mm if there is concrete on top.

The article talks about the conduits being mm's from the surface but when you look at the picture you can see the top of the gutter and a pit of some sort and they are much lower than that. Certainly not 750mm but not mm's as implied. Looks to me to be at least 100mm which is all that is required if concreted.

Also going by the conduit sizes it looks like the cables are actually for the traffic lights in which case it would be low voltage anyway so 500mm deep but again can be shallower if concrete is on top.

And guess what the article says the "pit" which is the wrong description has been covered by concrete. So only needs to be 100mm which it is!

As for the pits filling with water, all I can say is derrrr. No crap Sherlock. All pits fill with water. They are not water proof, only need to look at the covers to see that. They have holes in them to open them (which obviously lets in water) and they don't have water proof seals. Pits also have holes in them to let the water wick out but that takes time. It also stops then floating up if there is lots of water in the surrounding ground which also means they fill with water. Who would have thought hey?

The cables that are installed in under ground pits are designed to go in water. They will have an outer jacket, be hell filled and then contain what is normally found in an above ground cable.

All joints are done above ground in pillars (of which there are many on the light rail route) or in above ground wiring cabinets which are at every stop and they can be in the pit using water proof connectors.

Looks like a beat up by someone and the union who have an axe to grind.

ajw373

Ps should say I am no sparky, but I am a licenced and experienced data communications tech with 27 years experience.

Part of the data cabling licence is knowing the rules for power depth so we can keep appropriate separation. And I have worked with outdoor data cables and pits. Only ever find a dry one if there has been no rain for weeks.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Toyota Camry on January 06, 2019, 08:35:49 PM
It is looking like much of the electrical work for stage 1 will be need to be re-done;

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/act/white-elephant-fears-canberra-light-rail-network-won-t-be-certified-20181213-p50m69.html
The Canberra Times has very little credibility when it comes to reporting Light Rail/Tram matters. And using the "White Elephant" phrase in the headline doesn't help matters.

triumph

At least half the electrical traction supply, being from the depot to Gungahlin has been powered on. How could that be permitted if safety fundamentals have not been met? Someone suitably qualified had to test and sign off on the work before powering on took place.

I think a bookie would offer long odds on delay till 2020.

triumph

Quote from: Toyota Camry on January 06, 2019, 08:35:49 PM
With the L1 to be most likely operated using buses from April 27th, in addition to the new network, it is looking highly likely that the withdrawn Renaults at both Fyshwick and Tuggeranong will be reactivated;

Having a bunch of reactivatable buses in storage is only half of the equation. Would there be enough surplus drivers available (with long term overtime being unsuitable on OH&S grounds)?

Toyota Camry

It only takes 1 day of training to upgrade a car license to an MR licence; new drivers can be produced quickly if they are not learning a large number of routes, alternatively drivers can easily be sourced from Sydney.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Toyota Camry on January 06, 2019, 08:35:49 PMI am predicting an opening delayed until 2020...

If that'll delay network '19 even further, many people including myself will be pleased.

Barry Drive

Canberra Times "walking back" prevous article:

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/act/non-compliant-light-rail-could-still-get-accreditation-20190107-p50pyr.html

They are still trying to push the line it's "non-compliant" without any real proof.

The statement that it may cause a risk "to contractors digging in the area, possibly in decades' time" seems to ignore that the high voltage cables are (mostly?) buried in the median between the tracks.

Stan butler

Interesting today just after the storm - I noticed the section of the tracks just outside the entrance to Epic was completely under water. Yep totally submerged by a few Centimetres.

I know I have written about this before but I got shot down for mentioning it then, but I will say it again. After a short storm, I cannot see how they can allow the train to operate with submerged tracks - even if it is only a few cms.

Alas, the bus I was in at the time was still able to get through.

ajw373

Quote from: Barry Drive on January 08, 2019, 07:35:38 PM
Canberra Times "walking back" prevous article:

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/act/non-compliant-light-rail-could-still-get-accreditation-20190107-p50pyr.html

They are still trying to push the line it's "non-compliant" without any real proof.

The statement that it may cause a risk "to contractors digging in the area, possibly in decades' time" seems to ignore that the high voltage cables are (mostly?) buried in the median between the tracks.

I noticed that too. Yesterday it was public safety in publically accessible locations, today the concern is contractors in the future digging up concrete.

One would hope any future contractor would dial before they dig, or maybe look at the plans which will show where the lower than usual conduits are.

ajw373

Quote from: Stan butler on January 08, 2019, 08:02:32 PM
Interesting today just after the storm - I noticed the section of the tracks just outside the entrance to Epic was completely under water. Yep totally submerged by a few Centimetres.

I know I have written about this before but I got shot down for mentioning it then, but I will say it again. After a short storm, I cannot see how they can allow the train to operate with submerged tracks - even if it is only a few cms.

Alas, the bus I was in at the time was still able to get through.

Not going to shoot you down in flames but curious as to why you would think submerged tracks after heavy rain is a safety risk and why it would be ok for a bus to go through similar heavy sitting water?

The way I see it the risk to steel on steel in water is slippage, but the risk of rubber on water on a road is aquaplanning. One could have a bad result the other a vehicle not moving very far.

triumph

LRV005, under its own power, arrived yesterday, Tues 29/1/2019, at Alinga St terminus. (Ref: Canberra Metro web site and media.)
It is reported in media as the first to Alinga St under its own power, but in 'early December' an LRV (fleet number?) was towed to Alinga St..
It was further reported in media that driver training along Northbourne Ave to Alinga St would commence tomorrow, 31/1/2019. 

Busnerd

Then you've answered your own contradiction, under it's own power means it drover there itself, when it was towed, it was pulled along by the diesel unimog, hence the term it is the first one arrive under it's own power.

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on January 30, 2019, 09:54:27 PM
... in 'early December' an LRV (fleet number?) was towed to Alinga St..

Did you see it towed to Alinga St? I wasn't sure one made it that far until now, and the track appeared to have been fenced off.

triumph

Quote from: Busnerd on January 31, 2019, 09:38:05 AM
Then you've answered your own contradiction, under it's own power means it drover there itself, when it was towed, it was pulled along by the diesel unimog, hence the term it is the first one arrive under it's own power.

What contradiction? Read the post again. The post reported matters published in media. The only question, in brackets and signified by a question mark, was what was the LRV fleet number of the towed/pushed LRV. Can you help with that?

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on January 31, 2019, 10:53:17 AM

Did you see it towed to Alinga St? I wasn't sure one made it that far until now, and the track appeared to have been fenced off.

That was what the web site/media reporting said. No, I didn't see it. The nearest to Alinga St terminus I have personally seen an LRV was at Wakefield Ave late last year.

So can anyone actually confirm the veracity of the reporting? If previous patterns of testing were followed then a towed/pushed arrival would have occurred before any powered arrival.

The important aspect is the historical record. What was the date the first LRV reached Alinga St by any means? and what was its fleet number?

(Relying on the web site/media reports, the date and fleet number of first arrival of an LRV at Alinga St using its own propulsion is now known.)

ajw373

I seem to recall that 009 made it to Civic late one night under tow.

That was around the time late last year where they had one stationed near Dickson for a few weeks. If I remember 009 was the first one to make it to Dickson and the tow to Civic was part of that testing. If I recall after the test they towed it to the Wakefield Ave intersection on the Gungahlin bound track which is where it spend the day. 

As to how it made it there with the fencing in place (this is in reference to another post above) the answer is obvious, they removed the fencing for the testing!

triumph

Took a return rte 200 trip City - Gungahlin today.

There were no LRVs to be seen, but vehicles and plant foul of the tracks were at scattered locations all along the corridor, and the overhead was safety earthed near Well Station Rd. Signage warned of use for testing at numerous points along the route.

Most of the work seemed to be associated with activities in access pits with some spot excavations adjacent to the track slab. It might be inferred that defect corrections is a major part of the activity seen. On the return journey several groups of workers/staff were noticed looking at/discussing things. One staffer was seen doing the time honoured measurement technique of pacing out a distance with metre (or yard?) strides between a slab side excavated hole and a point between the rails a metre or so along the track. The impression gained was of design/decision making on the spot.

Gungahlin terminus paving is at last near enough to complete, with much detail activity at en route stops. Little finishing touches are now appearing such as white hold lines at traffic (T) signals. These, being on pale concrete are delineated on the transverse edges with thinner black lines.

The pedestrian crossings are mostly arranged with a crossing offset to prevent pedestrians charging across in a straight line. Concrete paving and kerbing for these is now mostly complete, but the guide fencing is yet to be provided. Nor did I notice any provision for fencing attachment so assume fixings will be drilled during installation.

An unusual traffic signal, I have never seen anywhere before, controls the right turn lane from the South bound side of Northbourne Ave to the North side near Murdoch St.. Instead of the usual right turn arrows (R, Y, G) the signal is equipped with 'U' turn arrows - very thoughtful.

Many of the newly planted saplings have very distinct bent/leaning trunks, and I wonder will that correct itself as they grow, or intervention will be needed?

Finally, I commented a long while ago on a couple of overhead spreaders that were at staggered heights on the same support pole. The reason is now apparent. The higher spreaders are at locations where contact wire electrical sectioning equipment which need more clearance from the spreader are installed. The sectioning of the two directions are not at the same place hence only one spreader is higher at each location. No doubt this is a result of a desire to place sectioning at locations where the LRV is unlikely to stop with the pantograph pickup right at the 'dead' spot.

Overall, the finish line seems visually, to be tantalisingly close.

ajw373

Are they planning on having fences at the crossings? Don't recall seeing them on the plans. Whilst people can and do step over the concrete, I gather that are more to stop bikes racing through and provide a "reminder" to pedestrians.

That said some of the stops could do with a fence on the back end of the platforms. McAuthur Ave being the prime example. The drop at the back is a good 500mm. And Alinga Street may well do with them along the whole block, though I see they are building a small decorative concrete wall at present.

As for the bent trees funny you mention that because yesterday afternoon on flemmington road the landscapers were installing some extra stakes on some trees to pull them back. And there is one further down that has, for some time now had a strap attached to the metal ropes pulling it back. Assuming it was done by then the theory on that one is bend it back more than straight. That said look at most gum trees and they don't grow straight anyway.

And certainly interesting how they have dug a new trench along the tracks on Flemington road and dig up the landscaping. From what I've seen it hasn't been spot digging (except where they did two bigger digs around stormwater connections. 

Obviously they forgot to put some service in, but have not actually seen them putting anything into the tench they have been digging. So who knows. They are pulling in fibre along that stretch too. Maybe related, but don't think so as the cable is going into pits in the centre of the track alignment not on the outside.

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on February 01, 2019, 11:22:40 PM
An unusual traffic signal, I have never seen anywhere before, controls the right turn lane from the South bound side of Northbourne Ave to the North side near Murdoch St.. Instead of the usual right turn arrows (R, Y, G) the signal is equipped with 'U' turn arrows - very thoughtful.
You will also find U-turn signals on Moreshead Drive.

As for the fences - don't know if there will be permanent fences or not, but right now many crossings have temporary fences on the inside of the race. I've also noticed some crossings have little signs near the pedestrian crossing beg buttons.

ajw373

U turn signals also on Majura Parkway Gungahlin bound just before Federal Hwy intersection.

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on February 03, 2019, 01:09:29 PM
You will also find U-turn signals on Moreshead Drive.

As for the fences - don't know if there will be permanent fences or not, but right now many crossings have temporary fences on the inside of the race. I've also noticed some crossings have little signs near the pedestrian crossing beg buttons.

Must say it never crossed my mind that there wouldn't be effective barriers/fences to prevent short cuts. The temporary barriers mentioned in the quote just reinforced my expectation. OH&S aspects, particularly for LRV drivers, would also seem to mandate that steps to prevent 'short cuts' would be necessary. It did occur to me that shrubbery could be used (planted/heavy planter boxes) but i doubted that would be the case due to maintenance and assurance of effectiveness needs and discarded the thought. Time will tell.

Thank you Barry Drive and AJW373 for info on specific 'U' turn traffic lights. Just shows how little I happen to use those roads, but will look for them if I happen to go past. Any others?

Finally, something I forgot to mention in the report on the trip to Gungahlin.
A few days ago there was a letter to the Canberra Times editor about the desirability of the LRV corridor as a cycling path. Didn't take long, at the Barton Highway junction I saw a southbound cyclist happily headed south in the corridor.

ajw373

I've had a bit of a closer look at the plans. It seems most/all side platforms stops will have fences on the back end from platform end to the bottom of the pedestrian ramp.

https://www.nca.gov.au/sites/default/files/consultation/ARCHITECTURAL%20DRAWNGS%20-%20ELOUERA%20STREET%20STOP%20-%20Stage%201%20Light%20Rail%20-%20Stops%20and%20Mid-Block%20Crossings.pdf

But pedestrian crossing won't have fences on the foot high walls. Just some skate board treatment, which I suspect are the groves that are in the walls.

As mentioned people stepping over then won't be the reason for them being there. But would think at some intersections, Barry drive for example fencing will be a better way to control the pedestrians.

https://www.nca.gov.au/sites/default/files/consultation/MID-BLOCK%20CROSSING%20-%20DETAIL%20%28PLAN%20and%20SECTION%29%20-%20%20Stage%201%20Light%20Rail%20-%20Stops%20and%20Mid-Block%20Crossings_0.pdf

triumph

Mon 4/2/19 update.
LRV 2 was stationary (with pantagraph up) at N bound side at Alinga St terminal at lunchtime. An hour later it was stationary at Dickson Interchange. At this time an un-numbered LRV was moving S towards the Swinden St stop.

No other LRV seen, and corridor N of depot was safety earthed with vehicles and plant foul of the tracks, mainly between Nullabor Ave and Gungahlin. (Safety earthing I think is a conductor clipped to overhead contact wire and to the rail thus causing a short circuit and breaker opening should electric current be applied to the contact wire.)

triumph

Noted today.
LRV 006 & 009 active mid afternoon in section Nullabor Ave to Gungahlin.
Road work (pavement finishing).
Drainage activity.
Lanscape watering by water lorry equipped with spray and escorted by traffic safety vehicle at rear. Probably a daily activity.
Ticket validators have been installed at Gungahlin and in progress at other stops. The Gungahlin validators seem to be plentifully located.
Temporary signs blue disc with 'BRAKING POINT'; and black discs with white 'T'. These signs have been in use as long as LRVs have been operating. Presumably for obvious reasons, but any subtle nuances?

Barry Drive

Platform validators have been installed down to Nullarbor Av. For the island platforms, there appear to be 4 in total - 2 at the entrance and another 2 on the platform.

Work was going on today to replace some of the concrete covers over the electrical pits along Flemington Road.

There also seemed to be some (more) track rectification work outside the depot.

Night testing will occur this week, reportedly to check the operation of the traffic lights.

ajw373

Quote from: Barry Drive on February 18, 2019, 12:13:35 PM
There also seemed to be some (more) track rectification work outside the depot.

Drove past the depot yesterday arvo and some serious re-work going in there, must be taking advantage of the lull in testing for a few days. They had what seemed to be big tents, or at the least a big fence with white plastic on it around the track outside the depot and just inside, with a lot of concrete dust going everywhere.

Not sure what is wrong with that area but it seems like the concrete has been reworked everyday now for the past 6 months. Lots of (minor) concrete work going on between the depot and Gungahlin too.

Also pleasing to see the final layer of road surface going down on flemmington road between the waste transfer station and Well Station Drive. Not sure why they didn't start that at the Lysaght Road intersection as the whole stretch from there needs doing. As well as south the depot and again to the Federal Highway.

Also noticed a few stops now have the ticket machines installed.

triumph

Quote from: triumph on August 28, 2018, 11:23:27 PM
.......It is extraordinarily difficult to find technical details on anything..... Other examples include..... the rail size, treatment and supplier (the media reported specially treated from Europe, I believe it to be VoestAlpine, who have a large number of standard catalogue sizes and steel treatments);......
Having had the opportunity to measure a rail sample and compare the measurements with the 26 sizes of grooved rail in the VoestAlpine 2017 catalogue, I am satisfied that the first listed size profile '51R1 (R152R13; R152) with a mass of 51.42kg/m is the only catalogued profile size consistent with all the measurements I took.
I say 'consistent with' as there is a footnote in the catalogue 'All rail profiles can be manufactured also with other tolerances, subject to agreement with Sales and Technology departments.' It does seem unlikely though that a new system would want other than a catalogued size.
There are heat treatments catalogued which can be applied, but which one cannot be determined from simple inspection.
The rail is the lightest in the catalogue which seems so appropriate for a light rail system.
(By the way, VoestAlpine is certainly the rail source.)

Busnerd

Noticed at Gungahlin Place stop yesterday that the recently installed MyWay readers were in various states of operations.

Some displayed messages that the reader was unavailable and to use another, others had Parkeon logos, one had Windows? error messages, and one of the ones not fenced off seemed to be working, I tapped on and got a green tick and my balance displayed? I took my card away and the screen returned to the tap on message so I'm not 100% sure, I did however take a photo of when I tapped off again a few moments later.

triumph

Further to fencing discussion, stone like walls have appeared at the Morphett St crossing.
LRV011 was active yesterday (26th) at the Dickson Interchange with safety personnel stationed at crossing points further North.

triumph

Canberra Metro has stated that a 7 day 'performance test' is taking place this week. It appears to have started on Sunday. It consists of what they describe as a 'ghost system'. That is a replication, as closely as possible, of operation as it will occur under the proposed timetable. This includes stop pauses, stop announcements, etc.

I noticed at Gungahlin today, two LRVs participating. They were loaded with sand bag piles on floors and seats to simulate the passenger weight and enable fully loaded operational conditions.

Peculiarly, despite the effort at realism, the signalling at Gungahlin was covered and not being used.

It never seems to end, a section of paving at Gungahlin at the northern end of the terminal has been lifted and the slab underneath removed, with a hole excavated. No workers were seen.

The walling previously mentioned has not progressed significantly but rock is laying about at one (at least) crossing. So more wall work is apparently still to come.

An indication of the habits formed by Canberra drivers are temporary warning signs advising drivers that traffic lights timing sequence varies!

The rte 200 bus I was on left Gungahlin just after LRV006 for the City had left. Joining Flemington Rd the LRV passed in front. It was leaving Nullabor Ave as we arrived. A wheelchair passenger alighted. Later LRV006 was visible in the distance approaching Well Station Dr.. After that it was not visible to me again untill the bus turned into Cooyong St where I could see it at the Alinga St terminal.

The bus was off peak (early afternoon), lightly loaded, with a good run and better than average favourable traffic lights, but some works speed limited sections. En route, 6 North bound LRVs were passed.

LRV units noted at various locations were 006, 008, 009, 012 but I could not read all numbers.

Busnerd

Have noticed the 'rock walls' taking shape at all the pedestrian crossings on Northbourne, where the 'unfinished' looking walls originally were, now makes sense why, they're all getting the same treatment, although only noticed one crew working on one wall the other day.

Also noticed as you say the pavers lifted at gungahlin and workers had dug a large hole and a vacuum truck was in attendance, perhaps an issue with water leaking or underground pipes needing works?

As per your covered signals at Gungahlin, the ones near the city have also been covered once again.

Northside

The bus indents on Well Station Rd are almost complete - which will form the interchange to Mitchell and Harrison. I note the indents are only part-bus width, indicating this will not be used for any layover or waiting for connection. So in true ACTION style, connections will be more best-guess rather than properly scheduled.

Busnerd

The bus stops are to be used for Route 18, to allow passengers a "short" walk from Well Station Dr to the Light Rail stop, Nullarbor Ave for example already has stops outside the shops on the Gungahlin Dr side of Flemington Rd, these will be used for Passengers to connect to from route 21/22 to the light rail. Haven't noticed if there is any stops close to Flemington Rd on Mapleton Ave however, as this was only used for School routes IIRC, Have never noticed if there are any stops, and they should probably put some in if they're aren't, otherwise people will have to get on/off at Well Station instead.

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on March 18, 2019, 10:31:41 PMIt never seems to end, a section of paving at Gungahlin at the northern end of the terminal has been lifted and the slab underneath removed, with a hole excavated. No workers were seen.
That hole now seems to contain the foundations for some bollards.

I've also noticed most of the OHW poles have had plates attached with a code including the closest stop. On Flemington Road, this includes "SND" presumably for Sandford St

triumph

Another rte 200 trip City to Gungahlin this afternoon.

Considerable effort is underway between City and Dickson, and N of the Depot.

Overhead was being worked on in 2 places between City and Dickson, with drainage(?) and other works seen and some work at stations. N of the Depot, substantial work was underway at Nullabor Ave with a rail lying on the surface on the S bound side (Metro Canberra notified of 'track slab adjustments' here). The power was off too N of the Depot with safety links in place, wire to track. Presumably this would have been the case also somewhere S of Dickson. LRVs were operating between Dickson and the Depot. LRV014 was at Dickson about to use the crossover to return, LRV005 was at Flemington Rd/Federal Highway jnc S bound and an unidentified LRV was on the arrival side at the Depot just off Flemington Rd. The tempo seems to have increased, no doubt a surge to be ready for first public rides (ballotted oportunity for some lucky folk) on Thursday next week, and launching at the Easter weekend.

triumph

Quote from: triumph on November 10, 2018, 12:03:22 AMIt appears overhead wiring terminates at bay entries.
Clarifying, the 2 bays in the maintenance building furthest from Flemington Rd are not overhead wired wired. The other 2 are. "Ground power" can also be plugged into the LRVs under maintenance/repair but only for testing etc not for traction. Vehicles are moved using the small road/rail depot 'tractor'.

triumph

Quote from: triumph on November 10, 2018, 12:03:22 AMTurnouts, it was learnt, will be mainly driver controlled with ones not used regularly manually operated.
Up-date. Route setting is now managed by the control center but drivers are obliged to check and manually intervene as necessary.