Westfield Belconnen

Started by Barry Drive, August 16, 2010, 03:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

Was at Westfield Belconnen today - they've finally got some plans of the expansion on display (3rd level near Dymocks).

I was surprised to see that Borders will be taking over the Dan Murphy's store (Dan Murphy's is moving to level 2 - underneath the new Bus Station). I don't think Dymocks will be too pleased about this.

The Target store will be in the new area on level 3. Aldi will be on level 2 at the far end.

CNG

Belco dose not need target as they have Kmart- SAME THING! orta be Big W some competition at least. Big W was originaly going to open at belco.

Buzz Killington

Good to see three new majors coming into Belco.

p_stampy

Quote from: CNG on August 16, 2010, 05:26:31 PM
Belco dose not need target as they have Kmart- SAME THING! orta be Big W some competition at least. Big W was originaly going to open at belco.

Same? As in they're both part of the coles/myer group?

Clothing wise, they're worlds apart.

Sir Pompously

Target and Kmart are two different store formats. They are not the same. Target used to be similar to Kmart in price and but what it sold was different, Coles Group in their last few years changed its format and pricing to be an inbetween of Kmart and Myer. Now Myer has been sold, it is the top of the line store in the Coles group section of Wesfarmers. Certainly not the same. Kmart matches BigW, target sort of matches Harris Scarfe stores where they are not really dirt cheap, but more for your middle class families to shop at. At Tuggeranong, Both Target and Kmart co-exist, and it works fine just fine.

Busnerd

I agree they are different, personally I rarely shop at Target and always shop at Kmart....

Firstly Target charges you for bags, their range is very limited and I just don't like their stores or merchandise.

Kmart has self serve registers, bigger range, brighter better layed out stores, better product and lower prices

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Busn00b on August 17, 2010, 06:48:17 PM
Kmart has self serve registers, bigger range, brighter better layed out stores, better product and lower prices

None of that really applies to the stores here!

p_stampy

Yeh, only Big W has them here as far as I am aware (as well as woolies).

bubzie

Coles in struggletown does..

but yes. Tar-Jay and kmart are completely different..if kmart and big dub were in the same shop, that would be a failwhale.

and, i heard rumors that ikea may be opening at belco...

p_stampy

A full scale ikea? that'd take up heaaaaaaaaaaaaps of room lol. imagne the crap I'd buy then!

Buzz Killington

Hmm, we might have to check with our westfield insider on the ikea rumour

Busnerd

Ikea would probably take a site the size OF the entire centre, So i doubt it...

Yes Kmart, Coles, Woolies, McDonalds & Big W all have self serve, I can't think of any other stores that dp

p_stampy

maybe ikea should take over part of the DFO building - did i read right that it's gone to shit?

Sir Pompously

Wouldn't say Ikea would be inside Westfield. Alot of IKEA's are actually stand-a-lone stores, and not actually within a shopping centre (Rhodes, I would say the Ikea is technically a seperate building/lease from the Centre there, just connected however I could be wrong).  Maybe they have acquired a parcel of land somewhere, but I highly doubt a store which takes up alot of space will be able to fit in any part of the centre (For those that have never been to Ikea, the format and layout of the store requires it to be huge).

Buzz Killington

Quote from: p_stampy on August 18, 2010, 05:49:31 PM
maybe ikea should take over part of the DFO building - did i read right that it's gone to shit?

on the brink of collapse apparently. not that any of the retailers knew about it until the canberra times bravely broke the story to them

Snorzac

IKEA WILL NOT come to Canberra. They have a minimum population to be met before they will open a store and Canberra does not meet that. (This coming from my Mum who works for Westfield)

The Love Guru

Quote from: Buzz Killington on August 18, 2010, 06:00:44 PM
on the brink of collapse apparently. not that any of the retailers knew about it until the canberra times bravely broke the story to them

I thought it was only in relation to the DFO in Melbourne, at docklands i think it was or one of those touristy places. Excuse my lack of knowledge on Melbourne, its hard to contain my up-chuck reflex.

Buzz Killington

DFO is doing fairly well in some areas, not so well here, in Hobart or North Queensland apparently.

Quote from: Metrobus on August 18, 2010, 09:05:55 PM
IKEA WILL NOT come to Canberra. They have a minimum population to be met before they will open a store and Canberra does not meet that. (This coming from my Mum who works for Westfield)

Our insider has just become an outsider! On a related note, Adelaide doesn't meet this apparent population minimum yet boast an Ikea outlet.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Buzz Killington on August 19, 2010, 05:44:32 PM
DFO is doing fairly well in some areas, not so well here, in Hobart or North Queensland apparently.
DFO Hobart does not exist, it is nothing more than a proposal at this stage.

Busnerd

DFO seems to fail everywhere, don't know why any are still around, they are usually ghost towns when I go to them, cause the shops have bad range at hardly reduced prices...

From memory there was an article in the Canberra Times yeeeeaaarrrss ago about IKEA which would not open a canberra store unless we reached like 500,000 population...maybe they should at least make a half size store, I agree taking the DFO land which is a perfect IKEA site which wouldnt screw up traffic or anything, however you would have people taking flat pack boxes onto the REDEX :)

p_stampy

Do people seriously go furniture shopping on a bus?

The DFO at spencer st/southern cross in Melbourne gets pretty damn busy.

Sir Pompously

I dunno, when I have been there it has been pretty dead (Except for Dough Buoys, which I am unsure is still trading). DFO Canberra gets an alright trade on the weekends, but it is only the section that opened first that gets any kind of trade. Every time I have been to the other areas, it is a ghost town. The stores seem to have the same pricing as those not in a DFO complex unless they have one of their sales on, and even they are usually sales for the whole chain.

blackdragon

They're going to carpet some of the general walkways as part of the refurbishment(!?!), I suppose they have to keep the some of the bogan in Belconnen..

Busnerd

Yeah a lot of westfields usually have there fashion precinct with carpeted floors

Bidgee

Quote from: p_stampy on August 20, 2010, 06:43:40 AM
The DFO at spencer st/southern cross in Melbourne gets pretty damn busy.
I thought DFO at Southern Cross moved to Docklands? Even though I was in Melbourne a few months ago I never got the chance to check it out.

p_stampy

Quote from: Bidgee on August 27, 2010, 11:27:03 PM
I thought DFO at Southern Cross moved to Docklands? Even though I was in Melbourne a few months ago I never got the chance to check it out.

No idea, haven't been there for 2 years.

smitho

As I recall, it is still @ Southern Cross, Spencer St.

Bus 400

The location of the Southwharf DFO can be found at http://www.dfo.com.au/southwharf/#/location that is unless the page hasn't been updated in a while.

Barry Drive

Sign outside the former Dan Murphy's / Franklins says that Harris Scarfe is coming soon. So what happened to Borders? And what is going to occupy the former Dick Smith store?

Barry Drive

Just noticed this on the Westfield website:

Quote...  the Fresh Food precinct will also cater to a refined Fresh Food pallet.

You read that right: refined Fresh Food pallet. I never knew that a low, portable platform on which goods are placed for storage or moving had a sense of taste, let alone a refined one.

(For those of you who failed at spelling, the correct word is palate.)

smitho

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on December 21, 2010, 10:17:42 AM
Sign outside the former Dan Murphy's / Franklins says that Harris Scarfe is coming soon. So what happened to Borders? And what is going to occupy the former Dick Smith store?

Harris Scarfe's opened a new store in Belconnen Mall just earlier this year - presume they're moving from there to take advantage of bigger premises.

Barry Drive

How long has Target had 24 hour trading?

Buzz Killington

Kmart I can understand, but why on earth does Target need 24hr trade?