Mandatory face masks for Canberra

Started by Toyota Camry, January 10, 2021, 11:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toyota Camry

I believe that the time has come for a mask mandate in the ACT; this would also be known as 'smart masking' and help prevent outbreaks before they come. There should be a simple 'no mask, no ride' policy for TC buses; drivers should be instructed to drive past passengers at stops who are not wearing a mask. The state of Victoria has an extremely sensible state wide mask mandate; in Sydney it has now been introduced to the metropolitan area, however disgustingly the NSW Government has not extended this mandate to towns such as Queanbeyan and Jerrabomberra, which are a ticking time bomb for the ACT in terms of possible infections, with the combination of open travel from Sydney to these towns being permitted, the lack of a mask mandate in these towns, as well as the open border between these towns and Canberra which is being crossed thousands of times per day.

It is time for our normally excellent Barr Government to rise to the challenge, and introduce a mandate which may save the lives of hundreds if not thousands of Canberrans.

Toyota Camry

It is now time for restrictions to be implemented on the Belconnen district as soon as is practicably possible; it has been discovered by ACT Health that COVID-19 is present in the district, however no positive test results have been returned yet. It is possible that there is community transmission of COVID-19 occurring in the Belconnen district that is yet to be detected; do not be surprised if in one week from now that Belconnen is known as the new "Northern Beaches", and that residents of this district are not permitted into other parts of Australia, and possibly depending on the size of the outbreak, not to other parts of the ACT.

The link to this information is as below; please click this link for the information.

https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/news-articles/act-covid-19-update-30-january-2021

ajw373

Think it is time to give the shrill a firm rest. Let the experts give the advice based on their knowledge and experience.

For what it is worth COVID has been detected in the sewerage of many plants throughly Australia and there has not been any northern beaches style outbreak found in any of these locations. The Gold Coast and Cairns being recent examples. As the experts say it is most likely fragment shedding from someone who has had it that has visited rather than actual active cases.

And on that note Canberra has had active cases in the last 6 weeks or so could be one of them who have left and gone home and still shedding fragments or it could be a visitor from Sydney or Vic who have had it more recently.

The hysterics have no place on this board.

Snorzac

I did have a reply but really couldn't have said it better myself.....

From Canberra Times article;
""We know this news may be concerning for residents in the Belconnen area, however this news does not automatically mean we have an active case here in the ACT," Ms Stephen-Smith said.

Ms Stephen-Smith said anyone who lived in or visited Belconnen and had even mild symptoms of COVID-19 needed to get tested and self isolate.

"Although there is no cause for alarm, this is an important reminder that COVID-19 has not gone away and that we need the community to remain alert," she said."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toyota Camry

Until the announcement of travel restrictions with WA today, there has been uncontrolled, unrestricted flights operating between Canberra & Perth airports for some time, with no restrictions on WA residents entering the ACT, or on ACT residents entering WA. Now with a rapidly worsening COVID-19 situation unfolding in Western Australia, it is quite possible that there may have been some leakage from this present Perth outbreak into the ACT; this may be related to the results of sewerage testing in Belconnen.

It appears that one or more of the above posters may not be aware of the risks of COVID-19; in the event that a case is detected in Canberra, it is safe to safe that most Canberrans would expect Andrew Barr to immediately follow the lead of Mark McGowan in Western Australia, and urgently implement a 5 day lockdown of the entire Australian Capital Territory.

The only alternatively to a five day lockdown needing to be declared is for additional restrictions to be implemented, such as an urgent mask mandate indoors in the ACT; do not follow the foolish Liberal Government in NSW who have made a grave error in removing the mask mandate for shopping centres in Sydney, and have refused to implement a mask mandate for any circumstance in towns such as Queanbeyan and Jerrabomberra, which had uncontrolled travel with Sydney occurring during the height of the outbreak.

ajw373

Quote from: Toyota Camry on February 01, 2021, 04:37:18 PMIt appears that one or more of the above posters may not be aware of the risks of COVID-19;

The only alternatively to a five day lockdown needing to be declared is for additional restrictions to be implemented, such as an urgent mask mandate indoors in the ACT; do not follow the foolish Liberal Government in NSW who have made a grave error in removing the mask mandate for shopping centres in Sydney, and have refused to implement a mask mandate for any circumstance in towns such as Queanbeyan and Jerrabomberra, which had uncontrolled travel with Sydney occurring during the height of the outbreak.

If you are referring to me in the above post, may I suggest that you are wrong, very wrong as to my awareness or respect for COVID.

I personally know of 5 people who have had it. Two were friends who live in Albury who were holidaying in the US (specifically New York City) back in Feb/March last year, they cut their holiday short and arrived back in Australia on 19th March (3rd day where home isolation was mandated) and within a week both tested positive. This couple were at my house before Christmas and it was interesting to hear how COVID has effected them. The male is in his early 60's, and prior to COVID rode his pushbike for 400+ km every week and even now he is not back to full strength to be able to do that and is often very lethargic. His wife who is about 15 years younger is more or less back to full strength.

Also two of my colleagues and one of their partners have also contracted COVID whilst on overseas postings. Of those three one is fine, one is about 75%, not sure about his wife.

I also wouldn't be surprised if I have had it too, from visiting the US. In Late November early December 2019 I was sick as a dog after coming back from Washington DC and could tick most of the COVID symptoms. The docs couldn't find what was wrong with me and I went through a raft of testing for common respiratory illnesses with them suspecting whooping cough, but they all came back negative. That of course was before COVID was officially out of China, but you never know there are a number of theories that COVID had escaped prior to when China officially announced it.

But it is funny you mention risk, because control measures are all about risk, though in this case the risk of infections being transmitted rather than the risks of illness after contracting it. And I am 100% sure that the experts have done their risk analysis and worked out what is and isn't needed, even here in litte old Canberra.

And frankly the risk that someone currently in Canberra has been in contact with the security guard (who BTW also moonlighted as an Uber driver, driving a Camry I believe), or they have been in contact with someone else who had been in contact with said guard AND had contracted AND incubated it to an infectious stage is negligible. There is of course a greater risk that someone has done just that and is in the incubation stage, but tada that is why people coming from Perth, or who have arrived in the past few days have been advised to isolation. Now if they are not infectious which they wouldn't be at this stage then no chance of great risk to the greater public, so your calls for mask wearing and a lock down of Canberra are just lunacy of the highest order.

As for NSW frankly, I think they are the ones who have done the best job of lot, balancing the risk's vs keeping life and the economy as healthy as possible in the circumstances. And they way they have gone about it should be applauded.

It is clear as day you are petrified about COVID, but the hysterics of your posts don't really help. I mean to say you were worried about buses that may have come from Sydney of goodness sakes being a COVID risk. May I suggest you go visit your GP and ask for a referral to a phycologist who may be able to help with you anxieties and help you manage that. Far better than writing drivel on this board.