Tuggeranong Hyperdome

Started by Sir Pompously, February 27, 2009, 09:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

Well there have been a phenominal amount of closures at the Hyperdome of late, Wendy's has up and left, looks as though Ezy DVD has closed down, Italian shop in the Foodcourt is gone, Footlocker is gone and a whole heap of others (Supre is another to be closed afaik). Have also heard on the grapevine that Hoyts will close down in a few weeks aswell (Have heard that from a few various people), however that is unconfirmed. Looks as though all is not well for this Centro shopping 'mall', seeing as when these shops are closing nothing else is being opened in their place.

On a better side of news, looks as though Members Equity has opened it's doors accross from everyones favourite Bank of Queensland.

Bus 400

Ezy DVD went into receivership a few weeks back. As there was a problem with some stores not accepting hundreds of dollar of gift certificates & the only way that these customers to get there money back is to join the bottom the the cue of receivers that are owed money.

If Hoyts goes, most stores in the food court will shut down.

Although I was looking at documents relating to Belconnen Development & apparently Woden Plaza is due to expand this year, with Target moving in there. So Target may leave the Hyperdome as well.

But if you think back, Centro almost went bust last year, so maybe they are putting the rents up too much & the companies can't afford it-as they are also suffering.

That possible expansion can be found at http://www.actpla.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/8433/attachmentg.pdf. It also says when the Crace Centre is expected to at least begin.

Buzz Killington

Is footlocker being refurbished? The one in Woden shut but is reopening.

lukeo25

dude thats not good and it is good i get my DVDs from eBay or JBHIFI and if hoyts closes the hyperdome will be a ghost town (imagine the song ghost town from the 80s search on youtube if you don't know what i mean). woden getting extended good but where? and what about k-mart and the other majors like myer or good guys and the supermarkets, i heard that mother natures is closing and relocating the staff to the new store at majura park

Buzz Killington

Quote from: lukeo25 on February 27, 2009, 10:46:42 PM
dude thats not good and it is good i get my DVDs from eBay or JBHIFI and if hoyts closes the hyperdome will be a ghost town (imagine the song ghost town from the 80s search on youtube if you don't know what i mean). woden getting extended good but where? and what about k-mart and the other majors like myer or good guys and the supermarkets, i heard that mother natures is closing and relocating the staff to the new store at majura park

The logical place for Woden to extend would be into the Interchange area and where the old 'green' carpark is between Bonner House and the Interchange.

If Mother Nature and Hoyts close up at Tuggeranong, it would be a huge blow.

Bus 400

Wel this year (2009) the studies are being done for a new Woden Interchange & I think that is what is meant by stating 2009 & if the drug help group gets a spot in the new Woden Plaza, then they could build over the old interchange & police station.

Also another few empty spots are at the main entrance & in the side alley way on the way to Myer-which rarely has any customers to start off with.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tuggeranong Hyperdome will shut up before the economic plunge is over. As most of us in Tuggeranong Valley go to the main suburban places like Kambah Village/Wanniassa/Erindale/Chisholm/Calwell/Lanyon MP & the workers spend their money in their lunch break in Civic. It is also quite empty during school holidays & when I moved to Kambah in 2000, the food court was packed during the holidays & the walkways were the same. But now most of the time you can walk around with your arms out wide.

bubzie

mmm, yeah, last time i went to the hyperdome (cant even remember when!) it seemed like a ghost town.

only downfall is, where will the lake tuggers kids go to? oh noes!

Irisbus Rider

Ezy DVD is open in Belconnen, so I don't quite think they're in receivership.

lukeo25

i think some of the ezy dvds are franchises and that is why some are open some are not

Bus 400

The Ezy DVD stores went into receivership, but the Ezy DVD Franchisees stayed open

CanberraTransport

The rumours about Mother Natures are true - a friend said it's being advertised there.

Buzz Killington

i remember hearing rumours a few years ago that the reason woolies was never renovated fully was that they planned to take over the ground floor of Myer.

I live within 5 minutes of the 'dome but rarely go there. I do most of my shopping in town during or after the work day and I tend to go to supermarkets in my general area rather than having the hassle of going into the hyperdome, finding a park etc etc.

Bus 400

I think that parking is one of the main problems for the Hyperdome. As it was popular a few years ago when parking was free. But as they introduced paid parking, popularity has gone down. So most people do their shopping at the suburban supermarket (which has free parking) or at Aldi (Homeworld). Also I have the problem of trying to fit a large car into medium car spaces.

CanberraTransport

Yeah. By the way, to clarify what I said: it's currently being advertised at Majura Park that Mother Nature's will be opening. It is not confirmed that Tuggeranong's store will be closing - but I know someone who works there so will see if I can find out anything.

Buzz Killington

Mother Natures has been advertised as 'coming soon' at Majura for months now.

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 01, 2009, 04:32:46 PM
I think that parking is one of the main problems for the Hyperdome. As it was popular a few years ago when parking was free. But as they introduced paid parking, popularity has gone down.

Well they didn't really have a choice, with pay parking being introduced into all Government carparks. I don't recall if this introduction meant the Hyperdome were required by law to introduce it, but they would have had to do it either way, otherwise all workers would have filled the free hyperdome parking, leaving nothing for the shoppers.

Its a shame too, because the carpark was definitely not designed for pay parking, and they've lost a good number of spaces because of it.

Bus 400

Homeworld is still free & the dirt carpark opposite Southern Cross Club/Interchange  is also free, except they fenced it off & only gave you one entrance into it (near the Southern Cross Club so it is too annoying). So whenever I go to the Hyperdome I park in Homeworld & walk across.

But I have been thinking about Hoyts Tuggers & thinking how do you get out to the carparks at 10pm? As Woden, City & Belconnen has carparks right out the front .

Buzz Killington

Before midnight, since Coles is still open, you can leave the centre that way.

After midnight, there's an exit from Hoyts that takes you out onto Anketell St shopping strip.

Bus 400

& the Anketel St entrance doesn't look that nice compared if you go to any other cinema another time & see how nice they are. If they had the chance they should of put Hoyts up near where the markets use to be. As you have a carpark out the front & most bus routes go past the stop on Athllon Dr. Which is so much better then walking for ages through boring closed stores.

CanberraTransport

I spoke to a person whose brother works at Mother Nature's... he said he thinks it is closing it's Tuggeranong store, but isn't 100% certain.

Bus 400

Walked through their today during lunch time & it was quite empty. Tuggers College kids are also avoiding it, which means that Tuggers is uncool now. Back in my day on the Thursday afternoon off, most either went home or Canberra Centre.

Buzz Killington

Bubzie and Luke025 go to tuggeranong - perhaps they can confirm this "uncool" status, and perhaps provide a copy of any memo that was circulated at the school to proclaim this.

lukeo25

i go there sometimes and go to hub and woolies and the computers near angus and robertson at lunch

Bus 400

Forgot to read the sign fully, but Key King had a message about moving (I think) today.

Busnerd

Lake tuggeranong kids always go to the hyperdome, they have nothing else better to do with their time...

How is the placement of the carpark stupid TP3000, you just walk out the coles exit to the carpark, how is that far? It's the same distance as walking out of hoyts at belconnen.

bubzie

i graduated last year, you bastards.

umm, yeah. back in my days, i avoided the place like the plague.

Busnerd

and went to tuggmac instead...cause thats sooo much better

bubzie

ewwwwwwwwww, tugmac!!

i dont think i've ate at said tugmac ever since about ..september.

Buzz Killington

last time i had maccas at tuggeranong, i ordered a frozen coke. the machine (of course) was broken, so i ordered a mcflurry.

i then sat in the drivethru for a good ten minutes, and when i got to the front, they handed me a mcflurry that had clearly been prepared when i ordered it, and sat there melting for 10 minutes. i asked them to make me a new one.

The time before that, the frozen coke was out and none of the soft drinks were working. they also managed to stuff up the burger.

Bus 400

Mother's Nature may not be closing for a little while as they are advertising for checkout operators for Tuggersnong. Along The Sunday Times had an article with delays in the Majura Park Store Opening

Buzz Killington

Bringing back a slightly old thread, I went to Hoyts on Monday night and it was absolutely dead in there. There was 4 other people in the cinema with us.

I doubt they'd be closing down altogether but from what i saw there's definitely no real need for them to open on Monday nights!

Bus 400

Maybe they'll do what the Commonwealth Bank did & halve how much space that they have?

belcodriver

Quote from: Mr Snrub on April 08, 2009, 08:00:03 PM
Bringing back a slightly old thread, I went to Hoyts on Monday night and it was absolutely dead in there. There was 4 other people in the cinema with us.

I doubt they'd be closing down altogether but from what i saw there's definitely no real need for them to open on Monday nights!

Why go to the movies on Monday night when you only need wait a day til tight-arse Tuesday. Tuesdays are the only time I ever hand over my cash to see the badly acted, badly written, badly directed derivative crap that Hollywood churns out.

Bus 400

Sadly, Bank of Queensland is departing from Tuggeranong Hyperdome from next month.

Ed

If it keeps on going like that, it'll fucking end up like Minto Mall up in Sydney.

Sir Pompously

Buzz Killington

its starting to look a bit sad down there, really. There's really no reason for me to go to the Hyperdome these days.

Bus 400

The Gloria Jeans within Myer will be shut sometime in September.

Irisbus Rider

I'd hate to live in Tuggeranong right about now, because it's only downhill from here :P

Bus 400

What about that suggestion for Erindale to go back to the Interchange for Tuggeranong? Hyperdome will loose big time from that.

Bus 400

I'll just add that the Hoyts at the Hyperdome looks quite poor.

In the cinema I was in a few seats were broken. Outside they don't show the session times on the huge screen anymore, instead they direct you to look at a piece of paper below. The game area is shut, the lolly room has been converted to a party room. The huge amount of TV screens have been covered up.

I was in a group of 12 people & there were only 6 others in the cinema & nobody was checking tickets.

Bus 400

The Hoyts Closure has been confirmed, from 23 September 2009 Hoyts Tuggeranong will be shut.

Quote from: Canberra Times
Curtains: cinema closing to bad reviews
BY EMILY SHERLOCK
19/09/2009 9:43:00 AM
Tuggeranong residents will be forced to travel to Woden, Manuka, the city or Belconnen to watch a movie when Hoyts Tuggeranong closes its doors on Wednesday.
Tuggeranong Valley residents reacted to the news of the closure with disbelief yesterday.
Many were frustrated Tuggeranong would lose its only cinema. Others were concerned for children's safety as they faced catching a bus to Woden, Manuka, Belconnen or the city to go to the movies.
Helen and Glenn Jones, of Banks, said they were shocked to hear the news. They were frequent visitors to the cinema complex.
''Are you serious? You are joking,'' Mrs Jones said.
''I'm shocked, I had no idea this was happening. I'm very sad for the young kids living out this way ... they will now have to go all the way to Woden to see a movie.
''It is bloody terrible, what are the people in Tuggeranong going to do?'' Mr Jones said, adding the cinema gave young people, ''something to do instead of running the streets''.
He questioned the impact an increased number of young people travelling on buses would have.
Mrs Jones was also concerned for businesses in the Hyperdome, fearing the cinema's closure would mean fewer visitors to the shopping centre.
Daughters Emma and Chloe, 12, were disappointed they could no longer meet friends at the cinema on weekends.
For more, pick up a copy of today's Canberra Times
[url=http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/curtains-cinema-closing-to-bad-reviews/1627871.aspx]http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/curtains-cinema-closing-to-bad-reviews/1627871.aspx[/url]

Busnerd

Yes, I alerted all the important people of the closure date about three days ago

Buzz Killington

The WIN News update just mentioned that a new operator has been found.

Buzz Killington

New operator wasn't named, but they are going to refurbish the site over the coming months, plus install new seating and a digital sound system.

A 'formal' announcement in a few weeks.

smitho

The Tuggeranong Town Centre Coles-Shell all-night service station is now closed for trading between 2400 and 0500.

Busnerd

That's no shame.

I went there yesterday for fuel, it was shit.

The pump kept clicking off every two litres and didn't even fill the tank properly and kept cutting out. I left and it didnt even reach full on the fuel gage. Never shopping there again.

bubzie

There were people sitting in a tent outside hoyts last night.

I lol'd.

..and asked myself what the hell was i doing IN tuggeranong. :)

Buzz Killington

Word on the street has it that one of the tent-dwellers was none other than you, miss bubzie.

Busnerd

Forgive me if im wrong, but is that none other than mrs lovejoy?

Note: Attachment has expired.

Buzz Killington