Quality of new buses

Started by triumph, April 17, 2016, 10:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triumph

Rode in two recent deliveries, 589 on first day in service and 593 on 3rd day, and noticed both rattling already. This series also seem to have an intrusive variable transmission (?) whine at normal cruising speeds - first noticed on 555 which to me was particularly piercing.  I feel that the quality is not up to scratch. What does the forum think?

Barry Drive

The whine is from the differential (AFAIK) and occurs at exactly 70 km/h

Buzz Killington

That's Custom Quality for you..

Sir Pompously

The Love Guru

When you buy buses based on lowest price rather than just ordering what you want then this is the result.
I know they set a minimum specification but it doesn't take into account build quality and the robustness of the product in everyday use.
Custom Coaches should be ashamed of the vehicles they now produce after once being an industry leader.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: The Love Guru on April 18, 2016, 11:21:24 PMCustom Coaches should be ashamed of the vehicles they now produce after once being an industry leader.

totally agreeing with you there.

Bus967

Hey guys just currently on bus 671 running to Tuggeranong at 10 1/4 at night, and the rear door appears to be jamming quite frequently so customers are left to  have to pull it open with the handle After the driver pushes the button to open it

Have you been on a recent bus where things ain't working properly?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Every day lol. Did you have a look to see if maybe a bottle/can was blocking the doorway?

Busnerd

That door was sticking a bit last week but still opening fine, just took an extra second than normal.

triumph

A bit unfair to attribute this to the 'new' buses.

Around 60 and more years ago, many (most?) urban buses had no main entrance door at all. Then driver operated doors became the norm, thus  introducing a potential failure source. Then came the interlocking of doors with the ability to proceed. So more opportunity for breakdown and disruption, often from debris dropped (or even maliciously placed) by passengers preventing full door closure.

The situation is far worse with urban trains with many doors often double leaf.

As safety interlocking and tech is added so the also is the potential for failure and correction complications also increase. Not to mention additional routine maintenance needs. It is probably inevitable that these issues arise from time to time - even the intensely maintenance structured aircraft industry is not free of minor issues causing major disruption. Witness the quite frequent media reports of turn backs/diversions of planes due to a warning light system itself being the issue.

Busnerd

I think we all know how maintenance works, there is nothing wrong with what has been said apart from the title which perhaps should more aptly be "New Buses, same old problems".

Bus967

Yeah, that is true, unfortunately I can't change it now, but the reason as to why that I've named it "new buses new problems" was because I've never seen this problem Minnesota bus before, so I thought it was a new problem that came with the buses whenever they got wet