The Weather Thread

Started by Irisbus Rider, December 06, 2007, 09:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanberraTransport

Yeah, my mates in Calwell and Conder were telling me about the snow.

Buzz Killington

bubzie

yeah, in calwell, it was so cool!

actuarly, it was so cold.

haha.
i'm funny :P

srsly, i woke up, and was about to go to work, and got greated with SNOW!! it was awesome!

Snorzac

It snowed at the Raiders. We paid for grandstand tickets and then they let everyone into the grandstand for free. Great to see the Raiders getting up 72-12

Sir Pompously

Well I am shocked that no one mentioned that storm last night. At work we had a huge dust cloud come over the aerodrome with the tower stating 'they couldn't see a thing!' before the rain pelting down no less than 1 minute after. Lightning came and we were off the tarmac due to risk of being struck. First wave passed over, we were lucky to get rid of three flights then we were off the tarmac again! Great way to spend an hour, watching a storm unfold :P Wind was around 41 knots switching from a headwind to a tailwind causing a few flights, virgin and qantas, to go around. 

lukeo25

it was a bloody good storm and there was another 4 this morning lets hope it fell in the right place

Sir Pompously

Yes I awoke at 3am to the sound of a storm, before it moved away. The Wattle Birds and Currawongs started singing after it, they were happy with the rain!

bubzie

I woke at 3am, to find my cat scratching at the door because of it.

I BEG TO DIFFER!!

(Sorry, am living on 4 hours sleep, cant you tell?? :D)

Sir Pompously

Busnerd

john would be obsessed, POST Shop is selling weather stations for $24.95!

Irisbus Rider

ya wallet wallet? $24
only?
i'm quite obsessed/enthused. almost in shock. i've been meaning to upgrade anyway lol.
post shop, you say?

Sir Pompously

I found out that we have a way of checking mm of rain at work, there seems to be a jar next to an aerobridge. How primitive. Go to Australian Geographic, they have some nifty little weather devices!!! And I saw a ya wonton wonton at Charlie Chan's today.

Irisbus Rider

Get ready for it people, scattered severe storms for the canberra region for the next few hours!

Yay!

Irisbus Rider

Buzz Killington

Flash Floods for Canberra on Friday and Heavy Rain Saturday according to Weather.com.au
http://www.weather.com.au/act/canberra

and from our friends at the Bureau:

Forecast for Friday
Rain developing in the morning with moderate to heavy falls later. Moderate northeast winds

Warning Summary
Warning for possible flooding with local heavy rainfall later tomorrow.

lukeo25

holly **** hope it rains but i don't want flooding

Buzz Killington

meh, it wont be a FLOOD as such, more along the lines of "oh crap, it rained so hard that the drains on northbourne blocked up and you have to drive through a huge-ass puddle"

bubzie

ick..and i was going to wash my car today!

..but didnt. yay.

Buzz Killington

Snorzac

A few .2 wheel flaps will be up on Northbourne I would say

Buzz Killington

Well, looks like we peaked at 36 in the City and 37 in Tuggers today. I of course enjoyed the view from my central air-conditioned comfort, although i did go out this morning.

Weird weather though. It randomly started raining twice earlier when it was at its hottest, and now its all clouded over and the wind is rather strong.

John = Stoked

bubzie

Trolleybusracer

How Does Big W Not have Working air con?

bubzie

it broke ages ago, and they cant be fucked fixing it.

super happy fun time.

oh, i lie. the ..back end of the store has aircon. ..specially the staff room.
But the front end doesnt.
EPIC FAIL!!

Irisbus Rider

I was actually chasing the storm around Gungahlin as well as doing some gunzelling yesterday! It was great!

Busnerd

dont you work at woolies mawson? or have you transferred to small W

Sir Pompously

♠< Don't know how I made that come up but it can stay. Big W Was sweltering when I went in there last, I could not stand shopping in that let alone working so I went to the Civic store.

Bus 400

Quote from: Busnerd on January 08, 2009, 08:28:26 PM
dont you work at woolies mawson? or have you transferred to small W

She works at little W as she has made a post about us lovely shoppers taking up carpark spaces in the crapark behind Dick Smith at Woden.

Buzz Killington

looks like a nice week ahead;

Sunday       Possible shower/thunderstorm.     Min 12    Max 26
Monday       Fine.                             Min 12    Max 29
Tuesday      Fine.                             Min 14    Max 32
Wednesday    Fine.                             Min 16    Max 36
Thursday     Fine.                             Min 18    Max 36
Friday       Possible shower.                  Min 16    Max 33

lukeo25

good for sunday and friday but bad for wednesday and thursday

lukeo25

STORM RIGHT NOW IN CANBERRA SOUTH LOTS OF RAIN THUNDER AND LIGHTING (sorry about it in caps lock but it is the truth) sounds like it was a quickie but not sure)

Buzz Killington

wasn't much of a storm, just a bit of rain and some distant thunder and lightning.

lukeo25

Buzz Killington

lukeo25

well i used live in the valley in mawson but now i live on the edge of it in chifley

lukeo25

Busnerd

Aaah, it's only 27 up here today...

41 In Melbourne and 44 in Adelaide

Sir Pompously

Why would you look at the BBC Weather Centre for weather in Canberra? www.bom.gov.au people!

Buzz Killington

No.

The most accurate is the Bureau of Meteorology. www.bom.gov.au

38 in Tuggers at the moment, but hey - at least we're not as hot as adelaide.

Snorzac

Well according to the outside temp feature of 383 it is 41 in Belconnen

Sir Pompously

Currently 36.7 at the Airport and 37.0 in Tuggeranong Valley! Quite a warm day today, with Sunday through Thursday hopefully bringing some relief with Afternoon showers/storms predicted.

Buzz Killington

Relief? It's not going to drop below 34 as far ahead as we can see. Any storms/rain means a good chance it'll just get more humid.

lukeo25

thats it i am packing my bags and going back to the UK to cool of (joke)

Bus 400

Just to let everyone know the official forecast for Sunday is either a dry thunderstorm (lots of lightning & no rain). Or a wet thunderstorm.

lukeo25

lets hope its wet then i can stand outside or if not i can sit and watch the storm over MT Taylor from my bedroom window