Infrastructure Discussion

Started by Bus 503, December 25, 2015, 08:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 503

This topic is designed for posts relating to transport infrastructure which don't fit in other threads.

To start the discussion, which terminii have fully operational driver facilities?

The Love Guru

There are only 7 full facility meal areas on the network with only 6 used for meal breaks.

Bus 503

Can anyone tell me if this was a peg? It's located on Batchelor Street Torrens:

Sylvan Loves Buses

To me, that looks like one of those bike-way-trails pegs, like the ones you see all around Tuggeranong Valley's Cycleways and dirt tracks. So I don't think so, but as I haven't had the resources to know this stuff as long as I could have, someone else more knowledgable might want to answer that. But because of the colour and the size, it looks more like the cycle trail sign.

[Edit]I just looked it up myself, and it's right off the Athllon Drive cycleway, so yeah, I think it's most likely one of the cycle track pegs.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I was just on my way to sleep when I remembered something. I was actually on my way home today, down Athllon drive's cycleway, and I remembered your post, I made a quick detour to have a look at this peg that you were refering to. I had a look, and it appears to be some sort of pole. A solid metal, white painted pole. So I it's not a peg, unless ACTION used metal poles as pegs too, back in the day.

Bus 503

If a terminus is not in use anymore for proper route services, (e.g Torrens) are the driver facilities still kept in working order, or are they just forgotten about?

Also:

Why are there still wooden pegs around? Matina Street is one example - did they just forget to take away the wooden pegs, or are they still there for another reason?

Don't know about your first question, but with the pegs - most of the remaining pegs are no longer serviced by school or regular route services. When the NXTBUS blades were installed, only active stops were targeted - so any disused stops, such as Matina St, would have been overlooked.

There is at least one exception - Watson Shops on Knox St is still an active stop and received a NXTBUS blade, but the peg is still in place - possibly because it's some distance from the blade post, it was probably just missed on the day.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: 743 on February 21, 2016, 10:23:01 PMThere is at least one exception - Watson Shops on Knox St is still an active stop and received a NXTBUS blade, but the peg is still in place - possibly because it's some distance from the blade post, it was probably just missed on the day.

That I suppose is the same reason for the Narrabundah Terminus peg too?

The peg opposite Narrabundah Terminus is not used by any school or route service, so wouldn't have been looked at during NXTBUS blade installation - like the pegs further along Matina St.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Just in case no one else has noticed, Tuggeranong's Lollipop sign has been taken down, and a new green wheel one now sits outside of the fences in more clear view.

The Love Guru

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on May 28, 2016, 12:38:44 PM
Just in case no one else has noticed, Tuggeranong's Lollipop sign has been taken down, and a new green wheel one now sits outside of the fences in more clear view.

Only about a year ago

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh lol, has it been that long already? could've sworn I still saw the old one there a few months ago

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on May 28, 2016, 08:49:37 PM
Oh lol, has it been that long already? could've sworn I still saw the old one there a few months ago

The old signs were acquired by RATEC.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yeah, I remember hearing them discussing it at one of the meetings I attended, man how time flies >.>

Barry Drive

The Kate Crace layover might possibly move to The Valley Avenue (at some point), based on the almost full length concrete bus bay built on the east side of the road extension.

An update has been run to NXTBUS for the new school term. I'm on a 39 and three stops so far have new audio announcements, with more specific descriptions than the old 'vague' descriptions. For instance, 3240 "Downer" is now announced as "Melba St 2nd after Bradfield St". The text descriptions on the NXTBUS screen, however, have not been updated.

King of Buses

Quote from: 743 on January 30, 2017, 08:02:42 AM
An update has been run to NXTBUS for the new school term. I'm on a 39 and three stops so far have new audio announcements, with more specific descriptions than the old 'vague' descriptions. For instance, 3240 "Downer" is now announced as "Melba St 2nd after Bradfield St". The text descriptions on the NXTBUS screen, however, have not been updated.

A new update would explain why some of the (working*) NXTBUS Bus Station PIDs now show "London Cct/Eclipse" for routes like the 171 instead of just "Eclipse House" as of today. There are almost certainly other changes to other route descriptions on those signs but I rarely look at them these days anyway.

* i.e. Not Tuggeranong Bus Station at the moment.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Only saw a glance of it as the bus I was on passed by, but does anyone know what they were doing to the bus stop opposite the Woden Depot a little while ago? (I saw a crane, but not much else - moving too quickly)
Bus Stop 2651

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on February 08, 2017, 06:27:57 PM
Only saw a glance of it as the bus I was on passed by, but does anyone know what they were doing to the bus stop opposite the Woden Depot a little while ago? (I saw a crane, but not much else - moving too quickly)
Bus Stop 2651

Swtiching the CAM shelter for an Adshel (which is currently ad-less, but has space for ads). Can't see why they bothered just for the extra two ad spaces on Athllon Dr...

Barry Drive

The only one that I can think of that was removed recently was Flemington Road / Well Station Drive. In which case, AdShel may have insisted on a substitute location due to it having lost a high traffic advertising spot.

Correction: Flemington Road / Morisset Road

Sylvan Loves Buses

I understand this use to be a terminus back in the day, presumably the 'old Spence terminus', would it still be called that if it were still in use?

This is 1 of 4 remaining birds eye drawings I have not yet done to include in the 32/33 terminus drawings, so I wanted to ask as I don't really know.

triumph

Westfield Belconnen Bus Station has re-opened.
The main work has been a substantial repair/renewal of a structural joint which stretches right across the station at a point about one bus length back from Plat 2 departure end.
Most of this interchange has a void underneath,  thus the surface is on a structure, not natural ground. It seems that the structure was not designed to be stiff enough, consequently it seems that the flexing and impact from buses passing over had resulted in the joint breaking up (particularly near the edge of platform 1).
Also for several years the paving slabs on the pedestrian part of the platforms have been becoming loose which had resulted in rocking underfoot, sticking up to form a trip risk, and in wet weather squirting water up your leg when stepped on. Recently the slabs were relaid, but already the slabs near the joint had become loose again.  It will be interesting to see if the new joint works will prove durable and solve the loosening of pavers problem.
Incidentally, though an TC facility, I have been told that repair and maintenance of this sort is a Westfield responsibility.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I noticed that myself when I was up there some time ago waiting for a bus to kippax. I was standing in the middle of the platform, and whenever a bus passed me, it would make a loud thumping noise as it would go over the line in the road. The other side wasn't as bad, but it did seem a little odd to me at the time for something like that to be happening.
The one thing I forgot about the bus station and the reason for all this is cause it was build over the old bus lane.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I've just been going through the list of how many possible terminii could be left that I could use and maybe add to the drawing game set. So far I've counted 18 more, but I may decide to not include half of them.

There's a couple I'm not sure about though, and a few I need to confirm are or were actual terminii.

The ones I am wondering about are: Kaleen, Ainslie, Duffy, Fisher and Hackett.
And I'm wondering if there was one located somewhere in Forrest back in the 1950-1980s time period. I remember the 83 or 84 use to run around Forrest, but I only ever caught it like 3 times to go to Fyshwick, but that's too long ago to remember seeing anything anyway. Same goes for Braddon too, as there's a old shelter around that looks similar to the ones in Ainslie and Forrest.

Barry Drive

Take a look in the Gallery for some historical maps and timetables.

An "old shelter" doesn't = terminus. And I'm not aware of any in Braddon - but even if there were, it's an unlikely location for a terminus.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Was I day dreaming, or was the roof from the shelter of bus stop #4530 (Marcus Clarke St before Rimmer St) missing?

On a side note, Tuggeranong Interchange has had a PA system upgrade for those who have not noticed.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Noticed this the other day, anyone know what the XLR input above the trolley rack near platform 9 at Woden Interchange was used for?

Barry Drive

Not entirely sure what you're referring to, but I think it was a clock.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Sylvan Loves Buses

I'll take a photo of it next time, see if it'll help.

I have a feeling it may have been some sort of PA system, considering XLR inputs are mostly used with microphones.

triumph

The right turn queueing lane from Lathlain St., Belconnen, into the Westfield Bus Station was painted as a bus lane today. In consequence S bound buses leaving the Cohen St. Bus Station stop diverted via Josephson, Luxton, and Lathlain Streets so as to enter Westfield Bus Station by a left turn from Lathlain St.. N bound buses leaving Westfield were not affected.

This seems a good move as inadvertent private right turn movements have occurred quite frequently.

Sylvan Loves Buses

has the old police station been knocked down yet, or is all that construction guff still there?

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 06, 2017, 06:51:21 AM
has the old police station been knocked down yet, or is all that construction guff still there?

The Police Station has been demolished but the site frontages are surrounded by a hoarding. There appears to be no current activity.

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 06, 2017, 06:51:21 AM

Further to previous reply, I managed to find a small hole in the hoarding. The site was completely clear with a grassy surface and no sign of anything happening.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yeah, you can now see your buses coming from the Cohen station when standing at Westfield.
Brings back memories of how you could once upon a time see your bus coming at Tuggeranong Interchange...

What's going on with that interchange anyway? For the past 15 years or so, the threat of both Woden and Tuggeranong interchanges were to be demolished, but so far only pieces of Woden have been taken and nothing has happened to Tuggeranong. Is there any news about Tuggeranong being relocated yet, or do we keep waiting while the government spends all the tax payer dollars on the lightrail which is not even done yet?

triumph

Further to reply 33, the hoarding round the old Belconnen Police Station near the Westfield Bus Station has been removed, though the site remained wire fenced. There are indications that activity of some sort is imminent.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh thank god, those advertisements were driving me crazy

triumph

Further to reply 35. Nothing overt is happening after all (at the former Belconnen Police Station site). The site is well grassed with a wire fence bounded lane across the middle towards Vinnies. There is a sign on the Cohen/Lathlain cnr that it is a development site.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Anyone know what's happening on the grassy areas opposite the Melrose playing fields? I would've thought they'd leave that area alone till the lightrail, but I guess everyone now days hates grass, so keep building over everything...

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 11, 2018, 10:32:50 AM
Anyone know what's happening on the grassy areas opposite the Melrose playing fields? I would've thought they'd leave that area alone till the lightrail, but I guess everyone now days hates grass, so keep building over everything...

There is a new Wetland going in, some of that area I believe has also been rezoned for (higher density) development.

Bus 503

Bus *** came up to Kaleen terminus this afternoon at 12:40 (parked at the same place as this photo: http://www.actbus.net/gallery/ACTION-Buses-Current/Renault-PR100-3/Bus-108/Bus+108+-+Georgina+Crescent+(4).jpg). Not sure what it was doing but it had the generic dead-run file on the desto (sorry...not in service). Perhaps the driver was going to have a meal break at Kaleen Plaza?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well the school holidays are over right? He was probably waiting to do a school charter service or something.

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 29, 2018, 07:14:10 PM
Well the school holidays are over right? He was probably waiting to do a school charter service or something.

It's Sunday.

Sylvan Loves Buses

What, you've never ridding a Sunday preschoolers charter run? Dayam boy, you've missed out!

Busfanatic101

It appears a stop may be going in on Ashley Dr southbound just north of Statton Street and the underpass from what I could make of a zigzagging concrete ramp when I rode past last night.

Bus 400

There are bus bays on both sides on Ashley Dr at the Statton St, Bugden Ave & Clift Cr.

I haven't noticed any near Clive Steele Ave, Ellerston Ave or Baraclough Cr.

Going through contracts recently as well, I can't remember if this was mentioned or not, but tgere were plans for a southbound stop on Jerrabomberra Ave opp Narrabundah College. But this was abandoned due to concerns.

Buzz Killington

So of the six roads which terminate along that portion of Ashley Drive, half have bus stops close by.

Those are the three signalised intersections, correct? In any case, the other three streets are reasonably close to one of the three signalised intersections, so there's no real need to have bus stops near all six.

Busfanatic101

Not sure about the signalised intersections but they coincide with 3 of the 4 underpass locations along that stretch of Ashley Dr

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on June 13, 2018, 12:44:16 PM
...esp with the lack of any work being done to the depot atm...

Turns out something has started at the Woden Depot. I didn't get a close look, but an square shaped office block has been placed in close to the main gate.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Ok, maybe a question about an XLR input/output in the ceiling may be a little hard to answer, how about this instead:

Apart from Platforms 7, 10, 12 and I think 14, were there any other platform shelters at the Woden Bus Interchange that had doors? or did every shelter once upon a time have them?