Bus Discussion (2019-)

Started by ajw373, January 03, 2019, 10:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajw373

This morning I saw a bus (Volgren rigid don't know fleet number) on the Barton Highway turning right into Northborne Ave. It was displaying route 251 on the rear desto.

I followed it down to Antil Street and when we stopped at the lights I noticed the route was now showing as 58.

Anyone know why it would change like that? Something quirky with what I assume is a Summernats diversion for south bound buses or something else?

Sylvan Loves Buses

It was probably just dead running to Gungahlin.

Sylvan Loves Buses

ajw373

Your probably right. I just looked and buses are not diverting down the Barton this year. And come to think of it, it didn't stop heading down Northborne either.

But still a bit strange anyway.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Some drivers certainly do some strange things when dead running. I've seen quite the few myself over the past few years.

Barry Drive

ANNOUNCEMENT: This is the continuation of General Fleet Discussion, but just for buses. (There will be a separate topic for trams.)

This topic is for discussion of the buses themselves - where it does not fall into another topic (such as bus movements or all over advertising).

Conversations regarding the allocation of buses to particular routes have been moved to the Unusual bus allocations topic in The Playground.

Sylvan Loves Buses

514 suffered a front and side desto display failure this evening. The front shortly fixed its self up, but the side still wasn't working.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Back to normal school day network finally, can relax knowing my schedule has many Renault's in it again :D. With that in mind, I'll be keeping my eye out for the threatened fleet numbers during my outings if more are unseen by other's here, such as 928 this afternoon coming up from the Depot.

I also walked around the backside of T Depot today to take photos of anything special that caught my eye (other than 711, there weren't really any), capturing a few of the 2's and 3's around the back fence that aren't currently in service (100, 101, 105, 119, 912, 915, 941 of which I remember seeing).

Quote from: Toyota Camry on February 04, 2019, 07:04:21 PMdue to this site's censorship policy, I will not be sharing which service.

You don't need to keep saying that.

Barry Drive

Reminder: this is NOT the correct topic for unusual sightings. Off topic posts will be (and have been) deleted.

Bus 503

Has anyone seen 491 in service lately? I haven't seen it or tracked it for a long time.

triumph

Quote from: Bus 503 on February 22, 2019, 07:40:50 PM
Has anyone seen 491 in service lately? I haven't seen it or tracked it for a long time.
What is a long time? I have a ride record on 9th November last year.

Bus 503

Quote from: triumph on February 22, 2019, 10:46:33 PM
What is a long time? I have a ride record on 9th November last year.

I don't remember seeing it at all in January and February this year. Can't quite recall whether I saw 491 in December 2018—it's possible, but I don't remember ever seeing it then.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yeah, I haven't caught it since August last year either, could've sworn I had seen it recently, but I can't remember every bus I've seen. I'll keep an eye out for it now, and check by the Depot next time I get the opportunity to legally have a good look around the back.

Bus 503

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on March 12, 2019, 05:43:22 PMFound it!

Thanks for the photo, Sylvan. Interesting that it was parked next to 381, which is another bus that I hadn't seem in service since February. Though I believe it recommenced service this week (please correct me if you have sightings of 381 between February 2019 and before March 13th, 2019).

I haven't seem 491 at all recently, so I am still asking for sightings of it in service.
Other buses I haven't seen and am looking for sightings of (in service) are 382 (no sightings since mid February), and 441 (have not sighted it this month).

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 503 on March 17, 2019, 07:08:15 PMThanks for the photo, Sylvan. Interesting that it was parked next to 381, which is another bus that I hadn't seem in service since February. Though I believe it recommenced service this week (please correct me if you have sightings of 381 between February 2019 and before March 13th, 2019).

I haven't seem 491 at all recently, so I am still asking for sightings of it in service.
Other buses I haven't seen and am looking for sightings of (in service) are 382 (no sightings since mid February), and 441 (have not sighted it this month).

Everything except 491 has been seen around the place by myself in that period. They obviously have not been where you have though.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Still nothing of 491, but I have my own at the moment. I'm not in the City on Mondays, but has anyone noticed if 145 has been on the loops over the past 2-3 weeks? All I've been seeing is 135, 147 and 151 every day now since then.

Can't seem to find the post about bus names, so I thought I'd mention that I saw 538 having a name, don't remember what it was though sorry, other than something hyphenated.

Also a question that I must ask before it's too late. The stop buttons on the P2's between the front facing seats at the front have generally always been a red switch. Over the years I had noticed quite a few get replaced by white switches or white buttons. Which buses were these white switches/buttons from?

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on March 29, 2019, 05:09:51 PMCan't seem to find the post about bus names, so I thought I'd mention that I saw 538 having a name, don't remember what it was though sorry, other than something hyphenated.

Katie-Pillar

http://actbus.net/action-buses-with-given-names/

Sylvan Loves Buses

Don't really know where to put this, but...

Some idiot tried to steal a drivers cash bag from bus 505 at Woden this afternoon, got nabbed by the TC officers straight away before he could get away (unfortunately breaking the door in the process) and very soon arrested with every TC officer type you could think of on the scene within about 15 minutes of the incident, including Tuggeranong's TC officers for some reason, not like the 7 who were already there and 5 police officers were enough.

Toyota Camry

There has been reduced utilisation of Renaults during this present school holiday break; Tuggeranong is only operating low floors during the day, however PR100.2s are still running from Belconnen during the off-peak. I am suspecting that with the commencement of the new network with reduced bus requirements, that Tuggeranong may become a 100% fully low floor, air conditioned depot at all times; Belconnen may still operate some PR100.2s during peak periods.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Toyota Camry on April 21, 2019, 08:14:25 AMI am suspecting that with the commencement of the new network with reduced bus requirements, that Tuggeranong may become a 100% fully low floor, air conditioned depot at all times; ...
The new network has reduced bus requirements?

What's your source?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Northbourne avenue... *cough* what? I said nuh-tin'.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Barry Drive on April 21, 2019, 02:38:35 PMThe new network has reduced bus requirements?

What's your source?

My source is the Canberra Times; there is no additional funding allocated to bus services, however service kilometres are now spread out further through the week. This means there will be a reduced bus requirement on weekdays, and an increased bus requirement on weekends compared to present; this leaves the Renault PR100.3s in particular extremely likely to disappear after next Friday.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Toyota Camry on April 21, 2019, 09:03:54 PMMy source is the Canberra Times; there is no additional funding allocated to bus services, however service kilometres are now spread out further through the week. This means there will be a reduced bus requirement on weekdays, and an increased bus requirement on weekends compared to present; this leaves the Renault PR100.3s in particular extremely likely to disappear after next Friday.
Funding ≠ Service Kilometers
Hence such an argument does not necessarily hold.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Toyota Camry on April 21, 2019, 09:03:54 PMthis leaves the Renault PR100.3s in particular extremely likely to disappear after next Friday.

I seriously doubt this will be the case during peak, there's a lot of rapids more now than ever, I'm sure there's going to be a few if not most Renault's out. Still, I've been wrong before, we'll just have to wait and see.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Toyota Camry on April 21, 2019, 09:03:54 PMMy source is the Canberra Times; there is no additional funding allocated to bus services, however service kilometres are now spread out further through the week.
My efforts to find such a report in The Canberra Times have been unsuccessful.

However, in this forum in the ACT Budget topic, the following was reported:

Quote from: undefinedAdditional $5.378m in 2018/19 for employee expenses related to additional staff for new network and Woden Depot operations
Additional $1.975m for increased costs due to new network (fuel and maintenance);

Since the new network will commence later than was expected when the budget was prepared, I would expect less than that will be spent. (And there should be an adjustment in the upcoming budget.)

But it is not true that there is no additional funding, nor "cut backs" as is frequently being stated on social media. The real reason why certain services have been removed (such as 3 80 81 88 101 and Xpressos) appears to be no capacity to operate them with available resources (when you factor in all of the additional Rapids and more frequent day time services).

Sylvan Loves Buses

Seems I'm not the only one disliking the new network, there's several buses so confused and distraught, several displays and tail lights weren't working on Scanias, 502 was running a R1 and 528 smelt like a Renault artic... chaos!

Busnerd

Please explain how a bus can be confused and distraught, it is a machine not a living thing.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 29, 2019, 10:49:55 PM528 smelt like a Renault artic... chaos!

A common complaint on social media yesterday. I trust they're looking into this as a priority.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh don't worry, they are, I called this morning to make sure they were aware of the issue.

Turns out the R1 is programmed into all the buses, or that's at least the impression I got from the obscurantistic driver who was driving 502 this evening, as he had it up again cause he wanted to have some fun before his last run.
"Ding ding, I'm a tram" is the front display with a train icon on the back and on the side. The things drivers have to do to have fun now days...

Sylvan Loves Buses

530 sounded horribly wrong last night, engine change or what?

Bus 503

Still no sign of 491 this month, yet nothing new has been added to its page on the Fleetwiki. I'm presuming it's having some sort of major issue, considering that it has not been in service for most, if not all, of 2019.
Any sightings would be welcomed.

Snorzac

I saw it moving around the depot under its own steam on tuesday, that does not however mean it has been in service.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yeah, I've only been seeing it sitting in the depot next to what's left of 887. I'll see if I can ask someone in TC what's going on.

Bus 503

I think I saw 491 today turning into Alexander Street from Mugga Way at 16:30.
I was quite far away from it, so I couldn't see the fleet number, but what caught my eye was an all green back with a circular shape (presumably the 75th bus aware).
I'm not sure of any buses that run services at that time and along Mugga Way, so regardless of whether it was 491, I'm not sure what the bus was doing (charter?).

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 503 on May 14, 2019, 09:05:05 PMI think I saw 491 today turning into Alexander Street from Mugga Way at 16:30.
I was quite far away from it, so I couldn't see the fleet number, but what caught my eye was an all green back with a circular shape (presumably the 75th bus aware).
I'm not sure of any buses that run services at that time and along Mugga Way, so regardless of whether it was 491, I'm not sure what the bus was doing (charter?).

491 is back in service, so quite possibly. As for why it was out there at that time, it may have been operating a (very late) school run? Or else dead running after completing a school service? Regardless of what it was doing, I saw it at Woden probably about an hour before you saw it, as well as again sometime later this evening.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yep, and it passed me this evening when I was waiting at 2651 to go to Mawson. I'll still try to find out why it was sitting beside 887 for several months for you though.

Toyota Camry

900 is presently being prepared for departure from Fyshwick depot as of 10:53am; mechanics are presently in attendance whom are attending to it, as is the orange "ACTION" liveried Transport Canberra tow truck.

Snorzac

Most likely off for a quick trip down the road to access recycling!

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Toyota Camry on May 24, 2019, 10:55:31 AM900 is presently being prepared for departure from Fyshwick depot

Of course you're can never rely on what a bus driver tells you, something made clear to me by Barry Drive... even though before this forum, my eyes, ears, mum, news and bus drivers were my only source of information.
Last night the driver I was with told me one of his colleagues said 40 Renaults would be returning to service soon. I straight away replied by saying, they already have, like the one you're driving (937), have been brought back out for the new network. He then said from Fyshwick, so now I'm not so sure.

Whahahaha, I'm confused now! :'(

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on May 25, 2019, 12:33:56 AMLast night the driver I was with told me ... 40 Renaults would be returning to service soon ... from Fyshwick.
It's good to question what you hear.

It's highly unlikely to be true, since there are only 32 Renaults at Fyshwick and Tuggeranong (and not all may be suitable to resume service). It's also not likely to happen "soon", since the 2019 network is in place and there is no need for additional buses, and nowhere to house and maintain them.

What is true (as mentioned before) is that Transport Canberra intend to order 40 buses for next year. It is also true that when Woden Depot ever gets built, they may look at returning some Renaults - but that will depend on when Woden opens, when the next network will commence and how many of the 40 new buses have been commissioned. It may also depend on when (or if) the much hyped new ticketing system is ready.

Bus 503

Well, I'm now looking for sightings of not 491, but 492.
I haven't seem it at all in June and up to now.

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 503 on July 04, 2019, 04:58:51 PMWell, I'm now looking for sightings of not 491, but 492.
I haven't seem it at all in June and up to now.

It's out there. Don't worry about it.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: triumph on July 16, 2019, 10:28:55 PM401 Button for stop has pleasant 2 tone warble, a real contrast with unnecessary loud 'screech' of the Volgren bodied buses.

Yes, those are so horribly painful to sit up the front and hear.
Always found it strange how a few Gas Scanias had their button tones switched though, well glad they never did it 343 :D.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Just saw 492 going up Athllon Drive on a R4.

Any other buses you haven't seen for a while of which coincidentally I haven't either but KoB see all the time?

Toyota Camry

121 is currently operating an R4; due to this site's censorship policy, I cannot state which trip. This is rare on multiple accounts.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I saw 378 doing one to Belconnen yesterday evening. Very unusual to see the gas MAN's doing R4's too.

Bus 503

According to Nextthere, 318 is operating an R7 at the moment. Oddly though, it isn't tracking on AnyTrip.

Barry Drive

I'm not familiar with Nextthere or Triptastic, but I do know that Anytrip matches timetabled trips with buses. So it will only show buses when they are linked to timetabled trips, but not dead running or other instances of not being in service.

And moving further off topic, Anytrip has been modifed to exclude "ghost buses" from tracking.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Saw 380 for the first time in a while yesterday morning, broken down typically. I also saw a peculiar desto on 339, 'rVice' filling an 8th of the screen. One of those random desto glitches, or was it heading to Los Santos?

Bus 503

Has anyone seen 381 recently? Seems to often be out of service for long periods. At least that's what I suspect, as I often don't see it or track it for long periods of time.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: triumph on December 03, 2019, 10:35:02 PM(Have yet to see or ride articulated, PR3, or PR2 on an R3; but have ridden 1 STAG running an R3. Very little opportunity now to ride PR2s and particularly PR3s on routes regularly used.)

That's funny, cause all I ever see R3s on are Volgren Artics and R4s but never in the direction I'm heading

I take it you are in the Belconnen/Gungahlin areas of Canberra. I've been surveying anytrip and spotting them around quite a bit recently. If you want to ride 2s and 3s just for the hell of it, there's quite a few being used around the Belconnen/Gungahlin parts in the very early parts of the morning 5-9am. Otherwise the general City area to Belconnen and Dickson and R7s during the middle of the day. 180s, R6s, 30s, 50s, 60s and 70s in the afternoon and evening - at least until the school term ends.

Barry Drive

Triumph's post was correct. Artics are not to be found on R3s. (In fact, this was mentioned in budget estimates.) STAGs are also not meant to be used, but do so occasionally.

You may be thinking of R2 which does use artics a lot.

Toyota Camry

I believe that articulated buses are banned from the R3 and cannot be used in any circumstances; no member here has ever sighted one. Articulated vehicles did operate on the former 315 service to Spence, and also presently operate on the R5; my suspicion is that the section of route around Brindabella Park and Canberra Airport is not suitable for articulated vehicles.

King of Buses

Quote from: Toyota Camry on December 05, 2019, 04:45:35 PMI believe that articulated buses are banned from the R3 and cannot be used in any circumstances; no member here has ever sighted one. Articulated vehicles did operate on the former 315 service to Spence, and also presently operate on the R5; my suspicion is that the section of route around Brindabella Park and Canberra Airport is not suitable for articulated vehicles.

Actually, I've been on an artic operated R3 to the Airport and back, as well been on/seen artics on former routes 11, 792, 10, 737, 757, 786 to Fairbairn Park. So, they can do it, and occasionally do (as do STAGs), I'm just inclined to believe none are scheduled to operate the R3 for whatever reason (such as they're not really needed on that run, other than the City to Belconnen section which you can cover by putting those buses on R2s and R4s).

triumph

Last Monday a PR came past Spence shops outbound around 1 to 1.15pm. it appeared when a regular R3 service would be expected to come by. (The only other bus at around that moment was a blue bus displaying 'L'.) Unfortunately I didn't initially take much notice or get a good look, but it possibly was a PR3.
Can anyone confirm that a PR was on an R3 that day?

Sylvan Loves Buses

646 will be outta action for a while, got hit the other day by another bus driver pulling into Tuggeranong Interchange

Bus 400

Quote from: triumph on February 29, 2020, 12:10:26 AMThere are only two Hino Honchos Nos 100 and 101 for the new route 903 to Strathnairn. Looking at the TT for services starting this Monday, there are some run overlaps which means both Honchos are needed to run the service. This implies that, regular buses from the fleet will appear from time to time when either or both of the Honchos are unavailable for service.
It would depend on who is providing the drivers? Is the regular bus drivers, or the SNT/Flexibus drivers?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Snorzac

The OnScene ACT Facebook page reported an accident involving a bus in Fraser today, pictures show BUS 450 with significant front end damage.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Snorzac on March 01, 2020, 02:02:43 AMThe OnScene ACT Facebook page reported an accident involving a bus in Fraser today, pictures show BUS 450 with significant front end damage.
That accident happened at a blind curve next to an intersection on Shakespeare Crescent; as a safety measure, traffic lights must be installed at that intersection as a matter of urgency, the TWU should  refuse to allow any of it's members to operate route 42 services along the eastern half of Shakespeare Crescent at a speed higher than 15km/hr until this occurs.

Snorzac

I reckon it would be much safer if the entire road network were to be reduced to 15km/h speed limit and traffic lights at every intersection...

Stan butler

Quote from: Toyota Camry on March 01, 2020, 06:02:18 PMThat accident happened at a blind curve next to an intersection on Shakespeare Crescent; as a safety measure, traffic lights must be installed at that intersection as a matter of urgency, the TWU should  refuse to allow any of it's members to operate route 42 services along the eastern half of Shakespeare Crescent at a speed higher than 15km/hr until this occurs.

Do you have any statistical or empirical data that shows that this is a dangerous accident area?  I have only heard of only one accident involving a bus here and there must be over 50 buses a day that go past this corner.

Yes it is a blind corner, and with the perceived lack of data then I can only assume that most drivers, car and bus, are able to navigate through here without any issues (as I don't hear of other accidents).

But I am glad to be proven wrong - do you have data that proves or shows that many drivers are having accidents here.  Just like the corner of tillyard and ginninderra drive.  I see after many reported accidents, and a documented history of accidents, that this corner finally got lights and a better design.

So with this corner on Shakespeare, does the data exist to warrant traffic lights and a reduction in speed limits?

triumph

Quote from: Toyota Camry on March 01, 2020, 06:02:18 PMThat accident happened at a blind curve next to an intersection on Shakespeare Crescent; as a safety measure, traffic lights must be installed at that intersection as a matter of urgency, the TWU should  refuse to allow any of it's members to operate route 42 services along the eastern half of Shakespeare Crescent at a speed higher than 15km/hr until this occurs.
You have, haven't you, the benefit of the accident professional report, and of a traffic study detailing actual sight distances, 85percentile speeds in the through street, stopping sight distance, traffic volume (goes to probability), human factors, and funding priorities to inform your statement.

There are, in every probability, lots of locations with compromised sight distances and the like. The community can't afford to rectify the lot, so it comes down to priorities and the precepts that should have been learnt when learning to drive. (Those precepts also should make union imposed limits unnecessary, especially as licensed heavy vehicle drivers are trained and skilled professionals.)

Sylvan Loves Buses

You know there's a better solution than reducing the speed limit and placing a traffic light every 10 meters right?

All the government has to do is make it LAW that cars are illegal in the ACT (excluding taxis and other business vehicles), and make the whole place a Bus-Capital (instead of Bush-Capital). Sure, no one would like it, but for every 50 cars, you've pretty much got a bus load. The more buses we have the better, not only for the enthusiasts, but the environment! ;D

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: SylvanLovesBuses on February 13, 2020, 05:39:55 PM
Quote from: triumph on February 11, 2020, 11:49:04 PMMay be other differences, didn't look for them.

Mostly just visual changes from what I've noticed so far - I'll keep my ears primed to hear if the engine/FX are any different.

Found another one:
Instead of the 60's styled Daleks, they're now using 2005 styled Daleks.

Saw 400 today and dayam it looks strange without its wrap.

Also got this from the other week bus 980.

Also now that I have a picture, I asked this before but got no answer, which buses did these white switches (some have buttons, same question) come from?

Bus 503

Any sightings of 500 in the last month? I haven't tracked it for a while.

Bus 524

What size is the VST's and Volgrens Side Destos?

Bus 524

Bus 495 has a new Stop Request Sign Fitted.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Why have TC made 943 and 944 trainer buses in the first place? I don't get it, cause they're not even using them as trainer buses - I Saw 976 and 977 the other day being used for that.
Here was I thinking the 'actions' made by ACTION were stupid...

Stan butler

Maybe to give new drivers an idea what it is like to drive a bus....ie the size, the manoeuvrability etc.  Driving an old bus around would give a good indication of the potential of new candidates as then the trainer can see if they can handle a vehicle of that size.

A quick question, how many people learn to drive in an old car (compared to the expensive family car)?

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 18, 2020, 02:47:17 AMwhich buses did these white switches (some have buttons, same question) come from?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but from memory all of the .2's had a red 'flick' style stop button adjacent to the priority seating.

Over the years they would have just replaced damaged ones with whatever parts they had available, which would include some white ones.

Sylvan Loves Buses

So not from any particular bus, oh well.

@Stan butler - While TC still have the Renault's, they have to do that with their new drivers anyway. The reason I'm remarking on it is why would they bother having specific trainer buses and not even use them or why they'd take them off the road and assign them when they're just going to use others anyway. I witnessed 944 leave Tuggeranong Depot yesterday morning and when I got home I checked to see if it was on the radar anywhere (which it wasn't), so I assumed it was taken for its new purpose. I suppose they could've been using them as well as 976/977 the other day, but I only saw those two together on that occasion. It just bothers me when I see things like that, that's all.

Snorzac

From my experience the two training buses are only ever used for licence upgrades and the driving exam they take pre-licenced drivers on. Once formal training commences they will only use in service buses because they are fully fitted with equipment such as ticket machines and NXT bus whereas the training buses are not.

Sylvan Loves Buses

A friend of mine passed a bus crash on Drakeford near Oxley a little while ago, anyone else know which bus it was or see it happen?

Stan butler

There has been a few bus incidents in the last few days.  I personally know of 2 others in the last week. The weather may be one factor, but the increase of cars on the road too (also due to the weather), plus school holidays, more traffic on the roads - and general driver experience (both for cars and buses).  It was also a full moon the other day and I dare say some may blame that too.

One thing I do want to highlight, there seems to be an increase in aggressive driving techniques by cars in the last few months - ie, more drivers running lights, cars tailgating (not leaving adequate distance), speeding and off course not paying attention.  It just seems that driver behaviour in general has deteriorated so much in the last few months.  This observation is from someone who spends a lot of time on the roads.

One initial thought is that more people are on the roads now - maybe due to not catching public transport due to COVID concerns, as well as the increase in local population (hence more cars).  But this behaviour is concerning though.

Stan butler

Quote from: Snorzac on October 07, 2020, 02:05:32 PMFrom my experience the two training buses are only ever used for licence upgrades and the driving exam they take pre-licenced drivers on. Once formal training commences they will only use in service buses because they are fully fitted with equipment such as ticket machines and NXT bus whereas the training buses are not.

My sources say that is very close to the mark.  They need to take possible new recruits around in a bus to determine their aptitude (let's face it, some people just do not have what it takes to drive a bus).  It is best to find this out before they commence the formal training.  Plus, and as snorzac says, if the new recruit does not already have an MR license, then action will assess them using one of these buses.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Never thought I'd get a wiff of this again, but I guess it's all the same material in the end. 514's concertinas are starting to take on the same scent as the Renault artics did. So yay? I suppose...

triumph

Bit of trivia. Contemplating possible withdrawal of 490 (Yutong E12), it occurs to me that currently there is a solid block of consecutive fleet numbers from 301 to 721 of buses in service. Is this a record for a block of consecutive fleet numbers?

The block is a total of 421 regular service buses out of 464 in regular service, that is 90.73% of the regular service fleet.

Regular service buses not in the block are the remaining 41 PR100.2 (various numbers between 911 and 982) and the 2 Ponchos (100 & 101).

triumph

A relatively rare R3 sighting today, a bit after 5pm at Westfield Belconnen - 528 (a 'bendy') operating a S bound R3.

Snorzac

I think if you watch that trip every day you will find it is an artic every day :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry Drive

The Fleet Summary on ACT Bus Fleetwiki has been modified to show more details.

So, for instance, you can now easily see that the most common model is the Scania K320UB which makes up 37% of the fleet.

triumph

Today's Canberra Times Editorial canvassed the issues of heavy vehicle safety following reports of the inquest following a fatal rear ender by a medium sized lorry.

The writer refers to heavy vehicle ages and stated 'Some of the Renault buses on the ACT Action fleet are 35 years old'. Whilst perhaps some withdrawn buses might be that old, 925 is the oldest in-service bus and Fleet Wiki says first registered on 17th September, 1991. Therefore the oldest Renault still normally in-service is not quite 30 years old.

Also the general lack of modern safety equipment, such as ABS, autonomous forward collision mitigation, and driver real time monitoring, in older heavy vehicles was mentioned. This raises the question of what is fitted to the Action fleet and how that is evolving? Any knowledgeable comments?
I have twice been on buses on a warm afternoon where the driver was clearly struggling to stay awake, a fact one driver confirmed to me after I mentioned it. So the latest attention etc monitoring developed by Seeing Machines, a Canberra business now spreading internationally, seems not to be fitted and usefully could be.

Barry Drive

Correct. No ACTION bus is currently older than 30 years.

ABS was first introduced to the Mercedes O.305 fleet – Bus 618 was the first. So, all buses have ABS fitted since 1983.

(refer: https://www.actbus.net/actions-1983-fleet )

The Scania K series also have ESC and Traction Control, but not sure about the other models.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Been wondering about this for many years now, but does anyone know or is able to find out which of the Irisbuses was used for the LifeLine ad from about 15 years ago? That ad where the guy gets off outside the Canberra Theatre and the whole City is deserted.
Any ideas? I've exhausted all of mine trying to find any references and I don't think calling the hotline is a good idea.

Bus 400

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 15, 2021, 04:36:08 PMBeen wondering about this for many years now, but does anyone know or is able to find out which of the Irisbuses was used for the LifeLine ad from about 15 years ago? That ad where the guy gets off outside the Canberra Theatre and the whole City is deserted.
Any ideas? I've exhausted all of mine trying to find any references and I don't think calling the hotline is a good idea.
I've found the ad, can't see where the fleet number is shown though 

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ya88q

triumph

Quote from: triumph on July 01, 2021, 04:01:24 PMToday's Canberra Times Editorial canvassed the issues of heavy vehicle safety following reports of the inquest following a fatal rear ender by a medium sized lorry.

The writer refers to heavy vehicle ages and stated 'Some of the Renault buses on the ACT Action fleet are 35 years old'. Whilst perhaps some withdrawn buses might be that old, 925 is the oldest in-service bus and Fleet Wiki says first registered on 17th September, 1991. Therefore the oldest Renault still normally in-service is not quite 30 years old.

Minor correction. Post is dated 1st July 2021. Unknown at that date was that 925 and 2 others were retired the day before. Thus, correctly, the oldest in service bus in the fleet as at 1st July 2021 is 929, first registered according to the Fleet Wiki on 15th October 1991. 

Sylvan Loves Buses

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on August 15, 2021, 10:59:18 AMSo what happened to 307?
Also curious as to why? it must have had a significant problem to precede PR2s into withdrawal; or perhaps a long term repair, seems unlikely. 

Barry Drive

As mentioned on fleetwiki, Bus 307 was not re-registered for 2022, so it's doubtful it will make a return.

Given their age, any major mechanical or computer failure with an Irisbus will not be cost effective to repair considering their written down value will be close to zero.

Whereas a similar problem with a PR100.2 would be easier to fix given their stockpile of donor buses.

triumph

Aha.... Thanks for response. So perhaps 307 is destined to become a 'donor' bus. (Given the pressure to meet accessibility rules, there must be an acute problem with it to precede non-compliant PR2s.)

triumph

Quote from: triumph on July 15, 2021, 11:05:53 PMMinor correction. Post is dated 1st July 2021. Unknown at that date was that 925 and 2 others were retired the day before. Thus, correctly, the oldest in service bus in the fleet as at 1st July 2021 is 929, first registered according to the Fleet Wiki on 15th October 1991. 
Another correction. Bus 927 has been returned to service to substitute for bus 307 (Fleet Wiki). So 927 is now the oldest bus in TC service, first registered 1/10/91 (Fleet Wiki). So, it is about to turn 30 years 0f registered age.

(As a matter of curiosity, is the all time oldest in service known?)

Barry Drive

927 is the oldest, based on build date / registration. But it hasn't been in continuous service.

Allowing for the time 927 was withdrawn, 929 should be regarded as the longest serving bus. Of all time.

narc855

927 became an exposure location now so we may not see it on road recently.
But how is the exposure time last for only 3 minutes...
Bus Route 28 Transport Canberra Code BUS410   Casey Market Town to Casey (Plimsoll Drive)   Public Transport   24/09/2021 - Friday   10:57am   10:59am   Casual
Bus Route 28 Transport Canberra Code BUS544   Casey (Whitrod Ave) to Casey (Plimsoll Drive)   Public Transport   24/09/2021 - Friday   9:28am   9:30am   Casual
Bus Route 28 Transport Canberra Code BUS927   Casey (Plimsoll Drive) to Casey (Whitrod Ave)   Public Transport   24/09/2021 - Friday   9:00am   9:03am   Casual

King of Buses

Quote from: narc855 on September 28, 2021, 01:02:01 PMBut how is the exposure time last for only 3 minutes...

You would assume because that's because the individual was only on the bus for that long.

triumph

ABC on-line news has an item about world wide shortage of AdBlue and more specifically its main component, urea. This additive is used to reduce diesel engine unwanted emissions. Apparently there is a risk of Australian trucking fleets being grounded early in the new year as supplies run out. Not only trucks of course, anything with a modern EU standard diesel can be affected. The item didn't explain why the engines couldn't operate without the additive, that is mechanical or compliance issues or both.

This raises the question of where Transport Canberra stands in respect of supplies on hand, and thus how long AdBlue using parts of the fleet can be expected to remain in service if the predicted lack of supply comes to pass?

Barry Drive

I couldn't find a contract for supply of AdBlue.

However, the contract for supply of diesel is publicly available. ACTION's diesel is supplied by Park Fuels (based at Albion Park Rail), who import diesel from Korea, Japan and SE Asia. Fuel is then trucked from Port Kembla to Canberra.

The contract requires that both depots have a minimum of 5 days fuel in the tanks.

I would assume, therefore, that the AdBlue tanks at the depots also have a 5 day stockpile - although the buses themselves will probably last several days without refilling, unlike the fuel tanks.

So while there may be a two week buffer before AdBlue runs out, should there be a critical shortage the supply of diesel could be affected first if there were to be an inability to transport diesel from Wollongong (or elsewhere).

Toyota Camry

There is in excess of 120 vehicles in the Transport Canberra fleet that do not require Adblue; these include the gas bus, Renault & Irisbus fleets, which may be topped up with additional Renaults from the Fyshwick depot.

This will alow for an enhanced Saturday timetable to operate daily during a complete shortage; enhancements may include additional trips on suburban routes after 6pm. Whilst the carbon emissions per trip will increase due to only operating these fleets, and mask requirements will need to be tightened due to the crowding that will occur; this is still preferable to no service being provided.

Bus It

Based on the WIN News article which was later shared on ACT Bus Facebook, reference is made to 90 buses (including CNG) being retired over the next 3 years. Given that we have 37 active PR2s and now only 18 Irisbus left that implies that we may see up to BUS 355 being scrapped within 3 years  :o . Is it just me or does this seem a pit premature and unnecessary. I've always thought the CNG Scania's have a fair bit of life left in them. Maybe I'm wrong  :-\

Barry Drive

The plan (which has been mentioned here), is to first lease 34 buses to (mostly) replace the 37 Renault PR100.2s. The outcome of this tender should be known soon, with buses presumably coming early 2022.

The next step is to commence the tender process for 90 electric buses. As the number suggests, these will replace buses 301 - 391 but will take place over the next 5 years. The first of these buses may arrive by late 2022, but it would be maybe 3 or 4 years until all 90 are delivered: so the last CNG MAN will possibly be withdrawn in 2026.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on December 11, 2021, 03:35:23 PM301 - 391
Why specifically 390 and 391, shouldn't it be 392/393 as they're the different ones?

Bus 400

It may not necessarily be those buses. Someone might have a death wish & write of Bus 400. Delaying 391 retirement.

triumph

Quote from: triumph on December 08, 2021, 10:53:19 PM..... The item didn't explain why the engines couldn't operate without the additive, that is mechanical or compliance issues or both. .....

It seems from what I have since seen, that it is a computer issue with the engines entering 'limp' mode if the Adblue injection fails.
That being the case, in a major emergency warranting by-passing environmental rules, it is probably possible to re-programme the engine management computers.

triumph

The fleet wiki entry for the Hino reg 217-499 adds 'Also known as BUS 65', and 'Vehicle fleet number allocation not official'. There are other vehicles in the xx range with similar comments attached.

Wondering about the origin of the xx numbering? Is it something informal originating with ACTION? Or informal fleet numbering introduced by ACTBus for its own needs? Or...?

If there is clarification somewhere already, apologies as I haven't found it.

Barry Drive

When Special Needs Transport was moved from Totalcare to ACTION in 1996 (I think), all the mini buses were re-registered using BUS plates and were numbered 004 to 024. These numbers were also their fleet number and radio identifier. (Subsequent additions also used BUS plates.)

At one stage, some of the newer Rosas were also used on the FlexiBus service; when FlexiBus ended they were all re-registered using standard ACT Government plates but the fleet numbers remained active.

So at ACT Bus Wiki we kept using the fleet numbers even when new vehicles were registered directly onto standard ACT Gov plates.

triumph

Thankyou. Looks like a bureaucratic fine distinction, or perhaps a change of personnel and thus viewpoint, involved. Perhaps there is/was a registration category involved too.  My main query as to status of the xx range in the Fleet Wiki has been resolved though.

triumph

According to a news item in Canberra Times, there was a car/bus collision in Drakeford Dr at Hurtle Ave Bonython late yesterday afternoon. The accompanying photo shows the bus involved was 693.
The item said the road would likely be closed for hours and 2 people treated with no severe injuries reported (yet). Images show a P plater was involved. The bus ended up on a lane through the median.   

triumph

When TC registers a newly delivered bus, does it have to follow normal procedure and have the vehicle inspected at Hume or has it authority to do its own inspection?
A second question is what are the blocks of registrations reserved for TC - just all BUS*** or are there other blocks as well?
(Presumably they are treated administratively in the same way that a personalised plate can be retained.)
Just curious.

Snorzac

A few weeks ago I spotted an ACT Heavy Vehicle Inspector ute entering Belconnen depot maybe a day or so before BUS800 first showed as registered, so from that I would assume that they are subject to standard heavy vehicle inspections but they're done at the TC depots. 

With the rego plates all the BUS### regos are specifically for government buses, other vehicles (ie field and workshops vehicles) just get the next government plate in sequence (21####)

triumph

Thanks.
More or less as I suspected.
The vehicles that do the trial shuttle to Fairbairn, rte 904, are an outlier - supplying a route service but not registered in the BUS### series.

triumph

Today's Sunday Canberra Times under All Homes page 3 has an article headed 'This Rental near Tharwa comes with its own bus'. A Mack/Renault is illustrated. Appears complete but no plate and no fleet number discernable. The property is at Clear Range.
(If there is a way to copy the image to the Forum, I am not computer savvy enough to do it.)

Sylvan Loves Buses

It's very hard to tell, but looking at the image the fleet outline looks like 800.

King of Buses

Quote from: triumph on February 26, 2023, 10:46:21 PMToday's Sunday Canberra Times under All Homes page 3 has an article headed 'This Rental near Tharwa comes with its own bus'. A Mack/Renault is illustrated. Appears complete but no plate and no fleet number discernable. The property is at Clear Range.
(If there is a way to copy the image to the Forum, I am not computer savvy enough to do it.)

Buzz Killington

Lol, still has the "S" sticker on the windscreen.

triumph

A yellow 'sticker' in the form of a bow with black lettered slogan 'Drive So Others Survive!' on it, has appeared on the exterior next(aft) to the front entrance, has appeared on TC buses.

Snorzac

This is for "National Road Safety Week" which takes place this week

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh so those aren't [REDACTED] buses, wrong sticker haha

Bus It

I have a puzzle that I can't solve!

I was driving back from Sydney today and just north of Collector, NSW I saw something which I couldn't believe!

I saw BUS 325 on a flatbed being transported north towards Sydney. To me this makes very little sense to me as I thought all repairs (both body and mechanical) were done here, and there would never be a need for a vehicle to be transported interstate.

Then I thought maybe it's been sold... But why would they chose a CNG Scania when the Renaults and Irisbuses are a much higher priority?

It still had it's CNG pods on the roof, so my only thought at this stage is they've started to send them off to Sydney for CNG removal to simplify operation between the depots and prepare them for sale in years to come.

If anyone has any insight, I'd really like to know what's going on with them!

Snorzac

Buses have headed to Sydney for floor replacement previously as recent as last year, however I do not believe there is a current contract for this, 340 did however return from Sydney on the same truck.

triumph

Floor replacement on its own is not a movement issue, so is trucking necessary due to compliance issues in NSW and/or is it better for the bus not to be flogged up and down the Highway at continuous high speed, and avoid TC driver and gas refuel logistics problems/costs? Seems reasonable to use a truck.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Snorzac on June 15, 2023, 07:55:47 PMBuses have headed to Sydney for floor replacement previously as recent as last year, however I do not believe there is a current contract for this, 340 did however return from Sydney on the same truck.
Had a look, and agree no current contract has been published.

In the past, this work has been completed by Wales Bus Repairs in Smithfield (now AMA Group). They also perform bus repairs for operators throughout NSW.

Refer to https://www.actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=4299.0 for an updated list of floor repairs.

Bus967

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on May 02, 2019, 10:26:32 PMOh don't worry, they are, I called this morning to make sure they were aware of the issue.

Turns out the R1 is programmed into all the buses, or that's at least the impression I got from the obscurantistic driver who was driving 502 this evening, as he had it up again cause he wanted to have some fun before his last run.
"Ding ding, I'm a tram" is the front display with a train icon on the back and on the side. The things drivers have to do to have fun now days...

It makes me wonder if occasionally Transport Canberra buses do rail replacements

Bus967

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 18, 2020, 02:47:17 AMAlso now that I have a picture, I asked this before but got no answer, which buses did these white switches (some have buttons, same question) come from?

At least to my knowledge, those white switches probably would've been made by clipsal as it almost looks like the exact same style of switch that I actually have in my house for my bedroom light

Buzz Killington

IIRC the switches were red when first installed.

I don't think the white switches were repurposed from other buses. More likely it was cheaper/easier to source white ones off-the-shelf when replacements were needed.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Barry Drive on April 01, 2023, 01:40:42 PMBut: they will be getting 38 new buses to replace 37 Renaults. So in theory they may be able to afford to transfer two low floor buses to become permanent trainers (e.g 390 & 391). However, there's also the question of whether 693 is permanently withdrawn and needs to be replaced (or does Belconnen give up another bus to cover for it)?

Edit: OK, maybe not MANs - they aren't old enough to be relegated to be trainers. Irisbuses would be preferable for now.
Continuing this thought in a different topic ...

With 930 & 962 now dedicated trainers, and the announcement of 4 Custom Denning Elements, they are effectively replacing 35 Renaults with 42 buses - making a surplus of 7 buses.

As it has been announced that new buses will be replacements, the question now is which 7 buses will be withdrawn next? And will they continue to have 4 dedicated trainers?

So here's my theory: all of the new Scanias will be allocated to Belconnen and the 3 remaining Renaults at Tuggeranong replaced with Irisbuses and then the 4 trainers. The last 3 can be used to withdraw 320-322, also being replaced with Irisbuses.

This will result in Tuggeranong having 6 Irisbuses and 2 for training, with Belconnen having 8 plus 2 for training.

Barry Drive

Slight amendment to the above. At some point in the next 12 months, all buses will need to be fitted with the new ticketing equipment. So maybe the excess buses will be used to boost the fleet while buses are off the road.

And then return to the current number once the fit out is complete.

triumph

Quote from: triumph on January 24, 2023, 08:21:36 AMAccording to a news item in Canberra Times, there was a car/bus collision in Drakeford Dr at Hurtle Ave Bonython late yesterday afternoon. The accompanying photo shows the bus involved was 693.
The item said the road would likely be closed for hours and 2 people treated with no severe injuries reported (yet). Images show a P plater was involved. The bus ended up on a lane through the median.   
Barry drive has mentioned the future of 693 in the  Renaults A Go Go thread. No advice, it seems, is yet known on the future of 693.
Almost 9 months have elapsed so the future of 693 should have already been determined.
Whether commercially insured or self insured, an insurance claim should have been made, and the process of the insurer (commercial or self) deciding on the claim for repair or write off should have long been made.
Retaining for parts should be irrelevant to a write off decision. It is also up to TC after write off, to negotiate for acquisition from the insurers if it is wanted for parts. Likewise the pursuit of the car party, if at fault, for damages is a matter for the insurer to determine. This is what seems to me to be a normal proper process, as opposed to a mish mash of repair versus parting out versus write off. (To decide, for a near new vehicle, not to make a claim should have a publicly exposed thorough justification.)
Lastly, it does seem rather surprising that a collision with a car, with the near new bus in the photos appearing to be still on a even surface and visibly not much harmed, could result in a write off or parting out.
It is possible decisions have been provisionally made, but repair and parts availability are complicating factors.

Snorzac

693 has left Tuggeranong depot and its whereabouts are unknown. The damage to it was extensive, given it was a rear end impact and the impact force shattered the windscreen it appears, you would expect there is a significant amount of damage which may not be visible to the naked eye

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on September 20, 2023, 09:16:02 PMAlmost 9 months have elapsed so the future of 693 should have already been determined.
At the time of said speculation (April), the fate of 693 was unknown. However, with the annual registration renewals last month, 693's registration was renewed which was sufficient indication that it will be retained.

The news that 693 has left Tuggeranong Depot suggests it has been sent away for repairs - quite possibly to Wales in Sydney, who do all the floor repairs.

The only remaining question is why was there a delay? My complete guess is that it was a complicated approval process considering it's an expensive vehicle and the damage was extensive. A second possibly is the good old "supply chain" problem - since it may require a new chassis (or significant parts of one) shipped from Sweden.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Could 693 be a possiblity as to why the new bus deliveries are also being delay or is that a completely different can of worms?

triumph

Quote from: Snorzac on September 20, 2023, 10:14:30 PM693 has left Tuggeranong depot and its whereabouts are unknown. The damage to it was extensive, given it was a rear end impact and the impact force shattered the windscreen it appears, you would expect there is a significant amount of damage which may not be visible to the naked eye
Which raises the question of just how crashworthy are these buses? Presumably there are standards to be complied with. Counter intuitively, it is quite possible, that to absorb impact damage, the consequences of an impact may be worse than one might think.

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on September 21, 2023, 06:08:25 PMCould 693 be a possiblity as to why the new bus deliveries are also being delay or is that a completely different can of worms?
Seems unlikely, as registration has been renewed, that suggests that the repairs will not take a long time. It becomes an issue, if parts are to be borrowed, as to whether it would impact new bus deliveries and, if so, is it quicker to get 693 back in service or new buses into service. Personally, I doubt that this is a practical issue at the moment.

Snorzac

When a car impacts anything at the speeds that car did, and I'm lead to believe it was well in excess of 100km/h (although this is gossip so may not be 100% accurate), damage will always be excessive, regardless of the standards complied with. 

triumph

Quote from: Snorzac on September 21, 2023, 10:48:36 PMWhen a car impacts anything at the speeds that car did, and I'm lead to believe it was well in excess of 100km/h (although this is gossip so may not be 100% accurate), damage will always be excessive, regardless of the standards complied with.
Wow. And there were no fatalities!

Busnerd

Sounds like it was a case of government hoops taking a long time to inspect and sign off on repairs then presumably a long wait for parts. I for one waited 6 months to have a car repaired as parts had to come from overseas which appears to be an ongoing problem with vehicle repairs at the moment. If it is gone now it's likely it has gone off to a bus manufacturer or refurbisher/repairer, suggestion above of Wales seems likely, they usually take buses for major repairs as sometimes these involve fixing bent parts of the chassis etc. so it could be there for some time being fixed.

triumph

A report in 'X' yesterday says that there was a crash in Majura Ave about 10.30pm on Mon evening. This resulted in closure of Majura Ave between Wakefield Ave and Cowper St.
From the images, a Transport Canberra Operations vehicle was severely damaged at the front, and a Commodore at the rear (and the car perhaps also impacted on the side(s)). It seems the TC Staff on board the TC vehicle were injured as 3 persons were conveyed to Hospital, but the report is not clear that only one person was in the Commodore. If TC staff were injured, it is to be hoped that they will have a rapid and full recovery. The Holden driver is reported as breath testing +ve and was apparently an already suspended driver with charges expected to be laid.
From the images, the specific TC vehicle was not identifiable as no number plate, as far as I could see, was visible.