Network 2017 Destos

Started by Barry Drive, October 05, 2017, 10:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

Rather than update the desto file in the Irisbuses, they have instead decided to upgrade* the system by replacing the Mobitec controller with a Hanover controller and loading the flip-dot version (used in the Scania L94s).

So far, this has been sighted on Buses 302 and 308, but they should all (except 307) be done soon.

(* some would argue this is a downgrade, but it will result in all but 6 buses in the fleet with the same make of destination controller.)

Edit 1: only 6 non-Hanover destos remain (Dennis Darts)
Edit 2: topic now split

triumph

Noticed several 'not in service' buses with the rear route number window, previously left blank in this situation, now showing a bus outline instead.

Buzz Killington

The side desto shows the bus pictagram too

Busfanatic101

Further to the desto programming changes mentioned - PR2s now have "sorry, not in service" crammed in. The Transport Canberra desto now has the TC logo displayed after the words Transport Canberra, at least on stags and Bustechs

Sylvan Loves Buses

something I noticed yesterday is the back desto for route 11 switches between the route number and an airplane pictagram 

Busfanatic101

Also a glaring change that I couldn't quite place yesterday - they have gone back from the scrolling via points to just changing between them.
Route 6 uses a 2 line desto on PR2s (at least for northbound - as I recall the 182 was 2 lined for southbound and 1 line for northbound in the last network)
Not sure if this is the right thread for this whole discussion though

Barry Drive

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on October 10, 2017, 05:20:36 PM
Route 6 uses a 2 line desto on PR2s (at least for northbound - as I recall the 182 was 2 lined for southbound and 1 line for northbound in the last network)
Not deliberately. A few PR100.2s had the wrong desto file loaded, 927 being one.

Busfanatic101

TC decors have started appearing on gas pods - at least on 325 (16/10/17)

Quote from: Barry Drive on October 10, 2017, 10:36:34 PM
Not deliberately. A few PR100.2s had the wrong desto file loaded, 927 being one.
That makes sense. 946 is another one.
Is that the same with Bustech side destos? Some just have the destination (and route number I think), but pretty sure some still have the 2 line scroll? Side destos would use a different file I suspect but are they loaded separately to the front, or somehow connected?

Busnerd

In most cases where the side desto is a full size one with numbers and text, the side will be a copy of the front desto.

As for the number only side desto's, this will just generate from the number that's on the front. I'm unsure how the alcatel software worked on the old desto's but the new one's being hanover which I haven't used for years.

If you want to play around with some fake desto files you can probably find links somewhere to Helen (Hanover) and Zedit, now MiE (Mobitec)

Barry Drive

The side desto on the Bustech/Volgren is not the same as the Renaults.

On the Renaults, "Sorry Not In Service" uses a single line, on the Bustechs it's split over two lines.

Maybe what you saw was a Bustech that didn't have the new file installed.

I've not viewed it (yet), but there is a series of YouTube videos about how to use HELEN (the Hanover desto software).

Busnerd

I still despise operators using 'sorry' in their Not In Service desto. There's nothing to be sorry for and I find it irritating. It's being polite for the sake of being polite.

Barry Drive

For instance, here's a video of creating a "Not In Service" display using HELEN [8:24]

Or if you prefer the link: https://youtu.be/tHNgqtrV1Bk

Barry Drive

Quote from: Barry Drive on October 10, 2017, 10:36:34 PM
Correction: there's only one Hanover desto "file" which is loaded into the buses. However, there are various display options within the file which are set depending on what type of displays are actually installed in the bus. As was seen in the past on some PR100.2s & STAGs, it is possible for the options to be changed so that a different display is shown.

It is also likely that the artics and STAGs (or at least some of them) were loaded with an early version of the file, since a few displays have some subtle differences.

On the question of the full side desto on Bustechs, Volgren and Gemilang buses - not all of the side destos were changed over in Network 2017. So for some routes (such as 17, 314, 315, 343) it will still show two lines with marquee scroll.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Busnerd on October 21, 2017, 06:12:52 PM
I still despise operators using 'sorry' in their Not In Service desto. There's nothing to be sorry for and I find it irritating.
Yes, especially irritating and rude when it says 'Sorry, Not In Service...' instead of '313 Fraser West'... at a time of which that not in service 313 is the only 300 with B&R between a bunch of steertags....

On the other hand, what if I don't want to accept the apology? What they gonna do 'bout 'dat? 8)