General Roads Discussion

Started by Buzz Killington, September 04, 2012, 10:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Thought we had this topic but couldn't find it.

Anyhow, Riot ACT had an interesting thread today, somewhat similar to our new section, which was on 'cool urban relics' - one mentioned the Arnott St (Hume) Railway Bridge. I had a look on Google Streetview and sure enough, there it was.

But there's something nearby that maybe one of the older members can help with. On Long Gully Road, there is a street that passes underneath it about halfway down. It's only a short section going by Google Maps, but I'm interested in what it is - I seem to recall it being part of the 'old' Long Gully Road but I'm just not sure.

Can anyone shed some light?

Bus 400

Who can name all the roads (former & current) that meet up with Lennox Crossing/Lawson Crescent roundabout in Acton?

Hint-No cheating.

Buzz Killington

An interesting document from 1991 - looks like there were some fairly major changes to the plans for Gordon.. http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/1991-3/19910220-13684/pdf/1991-3.pdf

Barry Drive

For a long time there was some uncertainty about where Northbourne Avenue ends (or starts). The road signs for quite a few years showed Federal Highway as starting at the Barton Highway junction, yet Canberra maps showed that the Federal Highway / Northbourne Avenue changeover occurred at the Stirling Avenue intersection.

I've now discovered that Northbourne Avenue was officially revoked between Stirling Avenue and Barton Highway last year. Which means that the road signs are now correct.

Buzz Killington

Some new street names in Greenway: Cynthea Teague Crescent and Limburg Way.

These two are in the area to be developed between Bunnings and Drakeford Drive.

http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/2013-234/current/pdf/2013-234.pdf

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on September 04, 2012, 10:33:12 PM
Thought we had this topic but couldn't find it.

Anyhow, Riot ACT had an interesting thread today, somewhat similar to our new section, which was on 'cool urban relics' - one mentioned the Arnott St (Hume) Railway Bridge. I had a look on Google Streetview and sure enough, there it was.

But there's something nearby that maybe one of the older members can help with. On Long Gully Road, there is a street that passes underneath it about halfway down. It's only a short section going by Google Maps, but I'm interested in what it is - I seem to recall it being part of the 'old' Long Gully Road but I'm just not sure.

Can anyone shed some light?
Buzz - that underpass on Long Gulley Rd has puzzled me in the past. It is the kind normally used for stock movements (cattle, sheep etc) but in this case, it might just be intended as a wildlife corrodor. I used to use the old "Long Gully Lane" and where it diverted from the current alignment it retained a more northerly bearing (parts of which can still be seen), so it never crossed the current alignment.

Buzz Killington

Thanks Smitho :)

I note that the portion of Bellenden St in Mitchell has been renamed to Nirta Place

Bus 400

Being better late then never, the section of Horse Park Drive between Whitrod Avenue & Yeend Avenue has become a public road ( http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/ni/2013-466/current/pdf/2013-466.pdf)
I wonder what the law is for driving on a non public road & how many have broken the law (if any).

Buzz Killington

I've noticed at the intersection of Osburn Drive and Cannan Crescent in Macgregor, there's a sign under the Cannan Crescent one that says "Belconnen to WPC Only"

I'm assuming this is a relic, and from what I can tell from an old street directory, prior to the West Macgregor extension, there was an access road to the treatment works from Cannan Crescent.

Does anyone know what the sign is referring to? (Waste Processing Centre perhaps?)

Bus 400

From next month the first section of Coppins Crossing Road will be permanently closed. Will the next stage of John Gorton Drive to be the replacement. See http://www.economicdevelopment.act.gov.au/community_engagement/current_activities/john-gorton-drive-molonglo

Also, while looking at some of the ACT Heritage Flickr page. I found out about the old Pine Island Road intersection with Tharwa Drive. So I ventured out there, while in have no idea when this road was closed. But surprisingly the road markings are clearer then some operational roads.

Old Pine Island Road

Old Tharwa Drive looking south

What's left of the intersection, Old Pine Island Road is off to the right. Surprisingly, the holes to screw the road signs in are still in place at this intersection.

On a side note, a work colleague of mine remembers going to Pine Island on a school excursion from Chifley Primary. He said it took a few hours by bus to get there. Now it takes a few quarter of an hours.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Buzz Killington on March 29, 2014, 04:26:51 PM
"Belconnen to WPC Only"
That one has always puzzled me too. Water Processing Centre?

Will have to dig out some old maps to see if there are any clues.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on March 29, 2014, 06:59:01 PM

Also, while looking at some of the ACT Heritage Flickr page. I found out about the old Pine Island Road intersection with Tharwa Drive. So I ventured out there, while in have no idea when this road was closed. But surprisingly the road markings are clearer then some operational roads.

At a guess, I'd say that the old intersection would've closed in the early 1980s. The Pine Island Rd and Tharwa Rd were really quite good, sealed roads - the Commonwealth really looked after the ACT's rural roads very well, I guess in recognition of their tourism significance.
Your friend from Chifley must have been in a VERY slow bus!

Bus 400

Well we are talking 40 odd years ago since he was in primary school. I assume Hindmarsh Drive connected with the Monaro Highway back then, unless access was via Long Gully Road/Mugga Way.

NOTE: I just remembered to add the photos to my post above.

Sir Pompously

Hindmarsh took the left curve that can be seen at the Monaro Highway junction and ended at Canberra Avenue and Ipswich Street, that is according to a 1985 ACTION bus map (as the "Eastern Parkway" was not built until the late 80's from memory). Jerrabomberra Ave extended down to Tharwa Road (now Lanyon Drive) along the closed alignment and then onto the left side of the current Monaro Highway towards Hume. There was a couple of good maps at CMAG which showed the old alignments of roads and how far they used to travel, would be great to overlay the maps onto current ones to see how different they are.

Bus 400

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Sir Pompously on March 31, 2014, 03:43:00 PM
There was a couple of good maps at CMAG which showed the old alignments of roads and how far they used to travel, would be great to overlay the maps onto current ones to see how different they are.

I'm holding out hope that Google will introduce a time slider to their maps someday..

Barry Drive

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on March 30, 2014, 11:01:28 AM
That one has always puzzled me too. Water Processing Centre?

Will have to dig out some old maps to see if there are any clues.
Looked at the 1981 UBD map - it shows "Bell Water Pollution Control".

(Scan taken from 1983 map)

And since Bus400 has asked, this map shows Mouat St/Ellenborough St as Barton Hwy (doesn't continue to Kaleen) with what is now Barton Hwy as "Dunsmore St". The 1983 edition (which is the next one I have) shows Barton Hwy, Mouat St and Ellenborough St in the arrangement we know today.

Bus 400

On a recent search, I discovered that Uriarra Road, Stromlo was once connected to Uriarra Road, Queanbeyan. It looks to of followed the bike path that runs near the Molonglo River. It then follows near the current Cotter Road alignment to Schlich Street. It then apparently went along Perth Avenue to Capital Hill. It then makes it's way to Kingston (a later map shows the road going down Franklin Street, Manuka) & somewhere along Canberra Avenue. It followed some bicycle path that runs along Canberra Avenue. I remember reading the original alignment went through the pine Forrest near BCF & Epicentre.

A few of my sources are

NLA Trove from the Canberra Times in 1954 (http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2912290)

Deakin Residents group (http://deakinresidents.asn.au/back-paddock/)

Another source I just found.

Canberra Camps (http://canberracamps.webs.com)

Bus 400

During the last month or so, I had a random thought about Long Gully Way. Well it turns out that the bush between Chifley & Pearce was the longer part of Long Gully Way. With the old road running through Mawson to here & continuing through Weston Creek to Kambah Road.
Discussing this at work with a long term Canberran, this road was even a bullock track.

smitho

I've clear memories of the former route of the Barton Highway via what is now Mouat Street.

When Giralang/Kaleen was opened up, the locals lobbied hard for a connecting road across to the old Barton Highway to enable quick access to and from the suburb, but the NCDC opposed this for quite a long time.

Suspect that NCDC relented only when the new Barton Highway route closer to the racecourse was opened up making the old route a quiet backwater.

smitho

NCDC had some interesting plans for southside parkways which were amended and evolved as time went by.

The road now known as Yarra Glen was originally conceived as the "Woden Parkway". It would have extended further south beyond the Woden Town Centre.

The Woden Parkway was also intended to to continue due north (from its intersection with Adelaide Ave), taking a route through Yarralumla and across Lake Burley Griffin via a very long bridge.

It was to eventually connect up at an interchange with the "Molonglo Arterial" road, now known as  Parkes Way (extension). 

In the end, the later plans for the development of Tuggeranong, including the Tuggeranong Parkway, overtook the need for the Woden Parkway.

Barry Drive

One that escaped my attention until recently: Glenora Drive and Fairbairn Avenue in Fairbairn Park have been renamed as Scherger Drive for the entire length. Change occurred 25 Feb 2014.

smitho

Yes, I noticed that recently too - sensible change, especially as it will avoid confusion with the other Fairbairn Ave.

Buzz Killington

I always thought of it as Glenora Drive. Was a bit weird seeing the new name on the signs when I went past a couple of weeks ago.

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on August 21, 2014, 11:32:16 PM
I always thought of it as Glenora Drive. Was a bit weird seeing the new name on the signs when I went past a couple of weeks ago.

The portion of the road from Pialligo Ave to the entrance gate and roundabout at Fairbairn was known as Glenora Drive, while the portion within the "Base" was known as Fairbairn Ave.

Suspect that years ago, the two Fairbairn Avenues were joined up as a single continuous road.

Barry Drive

Just in case people are unaware (I'm looking at you, TAMS), Rimmer St in City runs from Kingsley St to Marcus Clarke St. The portion between Marcus Clarke and Childers St used to be Rudd St, but was never Childers: the new street signs are wrong.

Source: http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/2011-321/current/pdf/2011-321.pdf

Sylvan Loves Buses

I've noticed a lot of road works recently, and so much development around south Canberra. I saw the state of Northbourne the other day, and omg is all I could say.
Anywho, a few weeks ago I noticed work starting near Wanniassa Shops on Athllon Drive, and I was like "They can't seriously be starting work for stage 3,4,5 whatever of the lightrail ???", but I checked on my way home yesterday and read the sign to find out Athllon Drive is finally getting a 'bus stop' (+ Park n Ride, bike racks and car parking) for the East Kambah/West Wanniassa residents.
I told my mum, and we both agreed, it is about damned time.
As I rode past last night I noticed the insert for the southbound bus stop already concreted in, so they're not wasting any time with this. Imo though, it could've been placed a little further south than where it is located, as I feel it's a little bit too close to the round-a-bout; more toward the underpass I feel would've been a good spot to put it, oh well.

On the other hand, the one main disadvantage to this is the weekend timetable, no need to say any more to that :-\

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on May 03, 2017, 05:22:59 PM
On the other hand, the one main disadvantage to this is the weekend timetable, no need to say any more to that :-\
Weekend services in the area are already well serviced from that location - Wanniassa Shops Stop or Atkins St so I don't see any issue with the placement.

Bus 400

Wait til the traffic lights between the underpass & roundabout are operational.

I think the plan is by having the carpark next to the Shell, people can park at the Park & Ride & go to the shops after work.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk