Nextthere - Bus Tracking Application

Started by Bus 503, April 24, 2018, 08:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 503

Quote from: Bus 503 on October 29, 2015, 08:26:33 PM
Buses 572-581 have not showed on NEXTTHERE. You can still track them but when you press the info button, they don't show the bus type or fleet number. Is there any reason for this and are other people using TRANSIT TIMES having the same issue?

Quote from: Buzz Killington on November 04, 2015, 08:54:09 PM
We're working with NextThere to rectify this (and the issue with bus images not displaying)

This same problem with new buses not displaying properly on Nextthere still exists two years later. I have contacted the developer at least three times and the only substantial response was that something would be done in July 2016, though the problem wasn't fixed. The buses affected are Bus 571 all the way to Bus 641, as well as the electric buses.
I let the developer know where he could get bus information and photos (this website) too.
If anyone has had any success talking to the developer, finding out what the problem is or what is being done about it, it would be great to hear!

I would post some screenshots of the fleet number issue, but coincidentally the Canberra region of Nextthere has gone down and no bus fleet numbers are being displayed when selected and multiple shifts that a selected service is supposed to do before/after is also appearing (how odd) - normally only one part of the shift would appear, not all of it.
I've attached a screenshot of that issue if anyone is interested, where a route 58 gets into Gungahlin and changes into a route 51 to Belconnen nine minutes later.

Busfanatic101

Slightly off topic, but this has just reminded me - It seems tripmate Canberra and its family of apps (arrivo, beta mystops) has been removed from the play store. Very unfortunate, was a great series of apps. Wish I'd gotten mystops while I could as that one covered all the regions.

Bus 503

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on April 24, 2018, 09:45:31 PM
Slightly off topic, but this has just reminded me - It seems tripmate Canberra and its family of apps (arrivo, beta mystops) has been removed from the play store. Very unfortunate, was a great series of apps. Wish I'd gotten mystops while I could as that one covered all the regions.

On that topic, I was thinking about trying out TransitTimes (another tracking app with fleet numbers) but that also looks to have gone off the Apple AppStore. There aren't many reliable tracking apps on the AppStore apart from Nextthere and there seems to be even more limited choice now.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Not only that, but the NXTBUS screens haven't been working properly recently, a real pain for those who don't even have access to that tech.

Barry Drive

Transit Times stopped being supported a while back. Its final ACTION GTFS update was July 2017.

Tripmate and MyStops have also ceased to be supported by the developer. Since the GTFS expired last week, they no longer work. The developer has stated he may release GTFS updates when his schedule allows.

I'm now using an Android app called "Canberra Bus". It's basic, doesn't do any map tracking, but will display the current realtime predictions for given bus stops.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Barry Drive on May 03, 2018, 10:16:01 AM
Tripmate and MyStops have also ceased to be supported by the developer. Since the GTFS expired last week, they no longer work. The developer has stated he may release GTFS updates when his schedule allows.
At the moment it is still running on last week's timetable, so won't work on Wednesdays (Anzac Hol timetable), and missing school days only services. Otherwise still usable otherwise.

I can't remember what survey it was (perhaps network 18?) but it asked about priorities on encouraging people to catch the bus, including mobile apps. Depending on results, the ACT Gov may develop something, though I doubt it would be superior.

Bus 503

There's been some really good news this week regarding Nextthere! The vehicle database has been updated and new buses are coming up properly with fleet numbers.

What a shame there's no informative tracking app for Android. I'm sure the (proposed) government transport tracking app would be quite primitive even though it could be very informative (look at Melbourne's TramTracker). Hopefully it would have some sort of feature to display service cancellations or break-downs.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Bus 503 on May 03, 2018, 08:01:09 PM
What a shame there's no informative tracking app for Android.
I have finally gotten cbrbus.com.au to work - if you're lucky, you'll get the map to show which live updates the vehicle position, and the bus number is contained in the url.
So all is not lost if and when tripmate becomes completely unusable.

Bus 503

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on May 05, 2018, 04:06:06 PM
I have finally gotten cbrbus.com.au to work - if you're lucky, you'll get the map to show which live updates the vehicle position, and the bus number is contained in the url.
So all is not lost if and when tripmate becomes completely unusable.

I was playing around with that website and tried to "manipulate" the URL of a service to put in a specific vehicle number but it didn't work.