Network 2019 - weekend services

Started by Toyota Camry, May 07, 2019, 07:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toyota Camry

I believe that we should not worry too much; our excellent Barr Government is in control of the situation and has developed an action plan, this plan is visible on the Transport Canberra website. You can read the plan yourself to understand how this will proceed in the future; it states that after the introduction of a new EBA for bus drivers in 2021, the previous level of service may return.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Busnerd on September 22, 2019, 10:05:49 AMI highly doubt any local route will wait for a rapid connection

Yeah, it's not the 1980's anymore.

Barry Drive

If our "excellent Barr government" is in control of the situation, how is it that they introduced a weekend timetable which could not be adequately staffed and only published an action plan after the event?

There are many questions remaining: what will occur if this revised timetable still has insufficient drivers? If the intent is to add services later, how will they choose where to add them (Saturdays first maybe)?

Busnerd

Doesn't mean they did it, you depending how tight the times were, some drivers risked causing late trips if they waited and often when the 900 got held up you would see the local route 'waiting' drive off just before you arrived at Erindale. There was also a few late night services that arrived at Tuggeranong with 1 minute connection to the bonython, conder, banks, loop service which would generally be gone by the time you got there.

Toyota Camry

If a passenger misses their local route connection, there are other options available; rideshare services such as Uber and Ola operate in Canberra, as do taxi networks including Canberra Elite, 13CABS and Cabexpress. There is no practical way to hold local services for rapid connections; for example, at Woden it would be required for every route to wait for delayed R4, R5 and R6 arrivals, it is simply best to travel "one bus back" to allow for any potential delays.

(Moderator's note: off topic discussion has been removed. All users are urged to stick to the topics at hand.)

Sylvan Loves Buses

Already don't like the new change. Although I haven't yet experienced the new 2-hourly infrequency and probably won't be able to relax and go shopping on a weekend anymore, I'm already pissed about a couple of things.
Firstly they lied about not changing the rapids, the first R4N on Sunday's is now 11 minutes later making the connection to the R6 much tighter than is was before. Once again, the 902 leaves at pretty much the exact same time as the second R6 yet still no one uses it (I probably would've if it arrived at the platform first), and unless the fools at TC haven't realised the Woden Interchange has new platform numbers, all the online timetables say platform 4, yet it leaves from platform 2 on the overhead live display...
At least that thing has a little more consistency with the 'R'apids now.

triumph

It was claimed that weekend 'Rapid' services were unchanged. Sylvan has mentioned an R4 change; and I have recently noticed the R3s ex Spence have also been changed but to only slightly later (5 to 6 min), so no signifcant effect.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: triumph on October 30, 2019, 11:47:18 PMso no signifcant effect.

I think 11 minutes is pretty significant now that all the non-rapids are every two hours.

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on October 30, 2019, 11:47:18 PMIt was claimed that weekend 'Rapid' services were unchanged. Sylvan has mentioned an R4 change; and I have recently noticed the R3s ex Spence have also been changed but to only slightly later (5 to 6 min), so no signifcant effect.
The headways of the Rapids were unchanged. The timetables have certainly changed - most (or all) Rapids now have less running time and often run late when carrying a significant load.

Toyota Camry

It seems that a number of posters here are simply looking to find any way to criticise the Government; they criticise the government when rapids have too much time, they then critise the government when extra time is removed from rapid schedules.

The same posters also make criticism when the government is faced with a difficult dilemma involving a bus driver shortage; when the government takes the best possible course of action as they have, they criticise the government for not providing a service that is physically impossible to provide with the shortage of people in Canberra who are willing and able to drive a bus.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Snorzac on September 21, 2019, 10:07:03 PMWhilst I dont agree with the cuts, just remember it is a temporary measure at this stage and I believe they plan on ramping it back up in the early new year as more new drivers come online.
Well that didn't happen. The new GTFS feed which is valid until the end of Term 1 has just been published: the number of weekend services has not been adjusted. Which means no change is planned until April at the earliest.