Canberra Mall History

Started by smitho, January 05, 2013, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

The Myer store at Belconnen can claim a number of very unusual attributes:-

- only Myers store in Australia to have been built and owned by the Commonwealth

- only store in the chain to have gone through so many name changes....started off as Myer/then Farmers/then Grace Bros/and then Myer again ...I'm a bit hazy on all of this!

ajw373

Quote from: smitho on January 05, 2013, 06:30:10 PM
The Myer store at Belconnen can claim a number of very unusual attributes:-

- only Myers store in Australia to have been built and owned by the Commonwealth

- only store in the chain to have gone through so many name changes....started off as Myer/then Farmers/then Grace Bros/and then Myer again ...I'm a bit hazy on all of this!

Are you sure about the store being built and owned by the commonwealth? Yes the mall was built and owned by them, but don't know why an actual store would have been fitted out (built) or owned by the government.

Also don't recall it ever being called Farmers, I remember it changing to Grace Bros. But Belconnen wasn't unique in this regard as there were many Myer stores in NSW that changed name to Grace Bros when Myer brought Grace Bros (Myer thought it best to consolidate and use just the single Grace Bros brand name in NSW/ACT as it was the stronger more 'local' brand) and then back to Myer when the Grace name was put to bed.

Now one thing I find ironic is the carpark next to Myer even in the days of Grace Bros was know as the Myer carpark. The name disappeared just before the Grace Bros name disappeared. If they had of held on things would have went full circle.

smitho

To clarify, what I meant to say was the building which housed the Myer store was built and owned by the Commonwealth....just as the rest of the Belco Mall was Commonwealth owned.

Regarding the name 'Farmers', may be you are right on that score...my memory is a little hazy on that.

Buzz Killington

My fondest memory is of the Pizza Hut Express in the food court. Used to be the highlight of my trips to Belconnen as a teenager.

Miss those personal pan pizzas!

smitho

In the earliest days of Belco Town Centre, there was a small prototype building on Benjamin Way southbound which was used to illustrate the type of massed 'brutalist' concrete construction which was later used on the Mall buildings, some of the early Commonwealth offices (such as Cameron) and of course the Interchange./

It used to stand in splendid isolation with little in the way of vegetation or other buildings around it. It really stood out. If it is still there, would be well surrounded with vegetation now.....

Barry Drive

Quote from: ajw373 on January 07, 2013, 08:41:44 PM
... there were many Myer stores in NSW that changed name to Grace Bros when Myer brought Grace Bros (Myer thought it best to consolidate and use just the single Grace Bros brand name in NSW/ACT as it was the stronger more 'local' brand) and then back to Myer when the Grace name was put to bed.
Not quite. What actually happened was that in 1983 Grace Bros (which was a competitor to Myer), purchased Myer's NSW-based stores (except for one - brownie points for anyone who knows which) and rebranded them as Grace Bros.

In July the same year, Myer bought out Grace Bros Ltd but retained the Grace Bros name.

(reference: wikipedia)

What's also interesting to note is that at the time of the Grace Bros takeover, there was both a Grace Bros and Myer store in Belconnen Mall. J B Young was an early tenant in level 1 (located where Best & Less and JB Hi Fi are) and this became a Grace Bros store when GB bought out JBY in 1979. This store was closed when Myer became Grace Bros.

Quote from: smitho on January 08, 2013, 03:13:37 PM
Regarding the name 'Farmers', may be you are right on that score...my memory is a little hazy on that.
A wikipedia search reveals Farmers is a NZ department store.

miket

Many years ago I worked for what was then Myer Southern Stores who at that stage operated all of the stores around suburban Melbourne. As part of a training course I learnt that Myer owned Farmers in New South Wales. They had stores in most major towns. In the early eighties these stores were then branded Grace Brothers . Belconnen at that stage retained the Myer brand. Later Grace Bros acquired the J B Young group and for a while operated their stores as Grace Bros. They retained some of the stores in country NSW but sold most of the ACT stores to Allens, a Goulburn based retailer. The stores at Belconnen, Civic and Tuggeranong were later rebranded as Myer.

ajw373

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on January 10, 2013, 01:12:21 PM
Not quite. What actually happened was that in 1983 Grace Bros (which was a competitor to Myer), purchased Myer's NSW-based stores (except for one - brownie points for anyone who knows which) and rebranded them as Grace Bros.

In July the same year, Myer bought out Grace Bros Ltd but retained the Grace Bros name.

(reference: wikipedia)

Not sure if it is the same store but there was something odd about Chatswood, from what I recall both Myer and Grace had a store so maybe one of the stores didn't get taken over and was sold to DJ's instead. If it is then I also recall it was the first store to change to Myer.

What's also interesting to note is that at the time of the Grace Bros takeover, there was both a Grace Bros and Myer store in Belconnen Mall. J B Young was an early tenant in level 1 (located where Best & Less and JB Hi Fi are) and this became a Grace Bros store when GB bought out JBY in 1979. This store was closed when Myer became Grace Bros.

I don't ever recall there being a Youngs in Belconnen, Kippax yes, but that later changed to a Fosseys. There was another iconic Canberra brand in the shop you are talking about selling furniture and electrical (though you will find it didn't include what is JB Hi Fi but included the space occuoped by Priceline and the Reject shop?) but the name escapes me at the moment. Brought a TV from them in 1987 before they closed. With Youngs whilst they did get brought out in 1979 you will find the name stayed in use for a number of years, maybe until when Myer brought Grace Bros then they rebranded as Grace Bros. Civic had 2 or 3 before they all closed when the Canberra Centre store opened in 1989.

A wikipedia search reveals Farmers is a NZ department store.

Wiki doesn't cover everything. Farmers was also a NSW department store name in fact one of their sites is now the site occuiped by Myer in the Sydney CBD.

smitho

Can anyone remember the name of the Department store which used to be in the upstairs part of the Monaro Mall, roughly above where Coles used to be...near the corner of Bunda St and Petrie Plaza?

From memory, it was a part of a WA based chain and was a little bit up market.

ajw373

Quote from: smitho on January 10, 2013, 02:51:34 PM
Can anyone remember the name of the Department store which used to be in the upstairs part of the Monaro Mall, roughly above where Coles used to be...near the corner of Bunda St and Petrie Plaza?

From memory, it was a part of a WA based chain and was a little bit up market.

Waltons was there. Certainly not from WA but not sure if it was considered up market or not but know a lot of our furniture came from there. Mum used to pay it off to the Waltons man who came for the money every fortnight or month along with his catalogue to flog some more.

I vistied my old man who lives in the NSW town of Awaba the other day and the blankets that he had on the bed I was using were from Waltons. My old aunty also used to love Waltons too. There was this game we used to play when travelling whereby we would say the names of shops or towns backwards. Waltons was a good one and easy too.

Barry Drive

Yes, it was Chatswood Myer that remained as Myer, since GB already had a store there. After the Myer takeover, it remained as the only NSW Myer store.

There was a Triffid's furniture store at Belconnen Mall. They took over the former J B Young / Grace Bros store.

Side note: J B Young was at Jamison, but not sure if ever at Kippax - I only recall Fosseys and the Owl Supermarket (which was a division of JBY).

ajw373

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on January 10, 2013, 03:12:40 PM
Yes, it was Chatswood Myer that remained as Myer, since GB already had a store there. After the Myer takeover, it remained as the only NSW Myer store.

There was a Triffid's furniture store at Belconnen Mall. They took over the former J B Young / Grace Bros store.

Side note: J B Young was at Jamison, but not sure if ever at Kippax - I only recall Fosseys and the Owl Supermarket (which was a division of JBY).

Yep that's right, although I think it was actually Triffit's.

And yes Youngs was at Kippax, later changing to Fosseys (knowing you like wiki have a look here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._B._Young_Ltd ). You may also notice no mention of a Belconnen store in the wiki article, but there was one at Woden sure you are not confusing the two?

Barry Drive

We're both wrong: it was Triffett's (just dug up an invoice from them from 1990).

I have no doubt there was a Youngs at Belconnen (the Wikipedia article also fails to mention Jamison and Dickson). The Woden store was below Big W where Rebel and the food court are now. [oops, straying off topic again]

ajw373

If there was, and I still say it was always Triffetts (yep correct spelling) from day 1 of the mall, then it wouldn't have ever been known as Grace Bros as the Youngs name was still used in the 80's, probably up until Myer brought Grace Bros and rebanded Myer and Youngs as Grace Bros (plus selling some stores).

Barry Drive

Quote from: ajw373 on January 10, 2013, 03:47:54 PM
it wouldn't have ever been known as Grace Bros as the Youngs name was still used in the 80's, probably up until Myer brought Grace Bros and rebanded Myer and Youngs as Grace Bros (plus selling some stores).
I'll concede that (except the part about Myer rebranding as Grace Bros since that occurred first when GB bought the Myer stores). What I do recall is that the Youngs store became Grace Bros before it closed. It could have been after Myer became GB and they used it as a clearance store.
I remain adamant that Triffett's was not an original tenant. An old Canberra phone book would come in handy about now.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: ajw373 on January 10, 2013, 02:19:11 PM
. There was another iconic Canberra brand in the shop you are talking about selling furniture and electrical (though you will find it didn't include what is JB Hi Fi but included the space occuoped by Priceline and the Reject shop?) but the name escapes me at the moment.

I think that may have been Chandlers. From memory they had one at Belconnen (where the Reject Shop is now - but I recall Priceline being next to it). There was also one at Tuggeranong (Homeworld, where the shop front was near Aldi) and Woden (downstairs sround where Foot Locker is)

I also recall Fosseys being upstairs at Tuggeranong, and rebranding a few times, at one stage being "Coles Fosseys". It was later an electrical store (the name escapes me, but was later rebranded to Betta Electrical). The Reject Shop moved in next, followed by Cotton On a few months back.

Tuggeranong as I recall it hasn't had many majors move around.

I can't really recall much of Woden before the last major refurb there, apart from Woolies being down where JB Hifi and Homebase are now, a farmers market where the food court is and a Franklins nearby. A few structural changes around too - the old Clock Court near JB Hifi had the big clock removed when the escalators were relocated, and I think there was a similar arch over the escalators near Big W in "Palm Court". Big W used to have a second entry too, just near an entry to the mall which is now gone, behind corner near the Body Shop. And who could forget Timezone, which was rougly the space from Subway down to Hoyts.

ajw373

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on January 10, 2013, 04:38:48 PM
I'll concede that (except the part about Myer rebranding as Grace Bros since that occurred first when GB bought the Myer stores). What I do recall is that the Youngs store became Grace Bros before it closed. It could have been after Myer became GB and they used it as a clearance store.
I remain adamant that Triffett's was not an original tenant. An old Canberra phone book would come in handy about now.

Visited my old mum in hospital tonight (get well old girl) and lo and behold she had two of her sisters visiting. All 3 have been Belco residents since the mid to late 70's (mum being the last arrival in 1978). After much discussion their memory is a bit like yours and a bit like mine. What they said was yes there was a Youngs in Belconnen for a short time and it was situated in the front part of what is now Best and Less and JB HiFi, roughly where you thought. They also said that Triffetts was an original tenant and it occupied what is now The Reject Shop and Priceline and the back part of Youngs (what I thought). In relation to the name change they don't ever recall the Youngs store being a Grace Bros, they all said it changed name to Fosseys at about the same time as the Kippax Youngs changed name. Fosseys was most certainly was in that location for a long time, so I think their recollection is probably spot on.

ajw373

Quote from: Buzz Killington on January 10, 2013, 06:29:35 PM
I think that may have been Chandlers. From memory they had one at Belconnen (where the Reject Shop is now - but I recall Priceline being next to it). There was also one at Tuggeranong (Homeworld, where the shop front was near Aldi) and Woden (downstairs sround where Foot Locker is)

As mentioned above it was Triffetts that was in there, though yes Chandlers did move in into the space now occuiped by the Reject Shop later on.

I also recall Fosseys being upstairs at Tuggeranong, and rebranding a few times, at one stage being "Coles Fosseys". It was later an electrical store (the name escapes me, but was later rebranded to Betta Electrical). The Reject Shop moved in next, followed by Cotton On a few months back.

Tuggeranong as I recall it hasn't had many majors move around.

No they have remained pretty static. Though Kmart and Coles were once one shop called Super K Mart and clearly Grace Bros/Myer have recently closed.

I can't really recall much of Woden before the last major refurb there, apart from Woolies being down where JB Hifi and Homebase are now, a farmers market where the food court is and a Franklins nearby. A few structural changes around too - the old Clock Court near JB Hifi had the big clock removed when the escalators were relocated, and I think there was a similar arch over the escalators near Big W in "Palm Court". Big W used to have a second entry too, just near an entry to the mall which is now gone, behind corner near the Body Shop. And who could forget Timezone, which was rougly the space from Subway down to Hoyts.

Woden has had a few. There was Norman Ross in the space that then turned into Harvey Norman.

Buzz Killington

Hope your mum gets better soon, ajw.

Triffet's was a bit before my time, although the name does ring a bell - was the logo 'Triffets' in a red text on a black background? And I think I might recall them being at Fyshwick?

I haven't been to Cooleman Court for a while now, but I recall for many years after the Fosseys there changed over to Target Country, they still had a Fossey's branded sign (possibly the opening hours?) in the window. Not sure if it's still there, though.

Quote from: ajw373 on January 10, 2013, 08:03:37 PM
No they have remained pretty static. Though Kmart and Coles were once one shop called Super K Mart and clearly Grace Bros/Myer have recently closed.

Woden has had a few. There was Norman Ross in the space that then turned into Harvey Norman.

Funnily enough the wall between Kmart and Coles was a temporary one until very recently - it didn't go all the way up to the roof and you could see over it (but all you could see is the roof tiles). When Kmart did the renovations recently they've filled it all in, as well as taking out the small shop that sat between the two at the front. I do have a photo which I've saved from somewhere of Tuggeranong under development with the Super K logo on the side of the Hyperdome.

Vaguely recall Norman Ross changing over to Harvey's too.

Would be quite interesting to see the old floorplans of the centres around Canberra to see how they've changed.

Barry Drive

The very first occupant of the Reject Shop / Priceline locality at Belconnen Mall was, believe it or not, BBC Hardware.

As for Woden Plaza, other way around: Palm Court was where Woolworths was located and Clock Court was Big W.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on January 10, 2013, 08:44:13 PM
As for Woden Plaza, other way around: Palm Court was where Woolworths was located and Clock Court was Big W.

Quite right, my mistake.

I recall BBC being at Homeworld where Dan Murphy's is now. I think there may have also been one on Townsend St in Phillip, with a garden section out the back in one of the 'courts' running off it.

Sir Pompously

There was most certainly a BBC at Phillip, I believe it was where Ray White is now.

A quick look at Trove has revealed some old photos of Woden Plaza, complete with photos of Clock and Palm courts. I like the old "Big W Discount Store" sign in Clock Court. http://trove.nla.gov.au/result?q=woden%20plaza

smitho

Quote from: Sir Pompously on January 10, 2013, 11:04:31 PM
There was most certainly a BBC at Phillip, I believe it was where Ray White is now.

A quick look at Trove has revealed some old photos of Woden Plaza, complete with photos of Clock and Palm courts. I like the old "Big W Discount Store" sign in Clock Court. http://trove.nla.gov.au/result?q=woden%20plaza

You are right about the Phillip BBC store. The BBC store in Braddon used to be Mackays (which also had a store near the Kingston Central Library, across from the Station), both becoming BBC. Therfe was also a Pauls Hardware store on Hindmarsh Drive in what is now called The Paul's Centre, next to Magnet Mart.

I used to live across the road from the JB Youngs store in Curtin and also used to shop at Youngs in Manuka (where Manuka Village was later built) and the large Youngs store in Kingston, which even had an escalator (still there to this day!). The Youngs store in Monaro St, Queanbeyan became a Grace Bros.

My first ever department store retail experience in Canberra was at the large Mates store in Civic, which was later rebranded as a JB Youngs store. It operated on 3 levels; its ground floor is now partly occupied by a McDonalds and IGA Civic.

The Mates store basement was later taken over in part by Impact Records after they moved from The Boulevarde. In those days the main Youngs store was  located in Garema Place (near Gus's) and there was also a Youngs store in Braddon, (its site later occupied by the original, large Downtown Duty Free outlet).

ajw373

Quote from: smitho on January 12, 2013, 02:29:15 AM
You are right about the Phillip BBC store. The BBC store in Braddon used to be Mackays (which also had a store near the Kingston Central Library, across from the Station), both becoming BBC. Therfe was also a Pauls Hardware store on Hindmarsh Drive in what is now called The Paul's Centre, next to Magnet Mart.

Are you sure about that? Magnet Mart was originally called Pauls and I only remember Pauls being in the current building, with the Paul's centre next door being built at the same time and always being called the Pauls centre and being occupied by other retailers.

Also with hardware stores in Phillip I just looked at the map and the location where Ray White appears to me to be where the Timber Centre was located (which later became part of Mitre 10 before disappearing). Or was the Timber Centre a street or two further down? Belconnen also had a timber centre in Oatley Court near or in the shop which is now Candamber with BBC being on the other side.

Buzz Killington

Paul's was definitely where Magnet Mart is now. Paul's Centre next door (still named as such) housed the head office upstairs with retail downstairs.

Paul's is named for Pul Donoghue, the (now former) owner of the stores. As many may know they are part of Woolworths Ltd now

ajw373

My first ever job was at Pauls in Phillip. A weekend of counting stock during a stocktake. Wasn't bad pay for a young fella.

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on January 12, 2013, 09:10:21 AM
Paul's was definitely where Magnet Mart is now. Paul's Centre next door (still named as such) housed the head office upstairs with retail downstairs.

Paul's is named for Pul Donoghue, the (now former) owner of the stores. As many may know they are part of Woolworths Ltd now

Isn't there some connection between the said 'Paul' and Rodney's @ Pialligo?  Is Paul = Rodney?

ajw373

No Paul is not Rodney. Rodney is Rodney and you can see him all the time at the nursery. Paul is someone else.

Barry Drive

Quote from: ajw373 on January 12, 2013, 08:05:17 AM
Also with hardware stores in Phillip I just looked at the map and the location where Ray White appears to me to be where the Timber Centre was located (which later became part of Mitre 10 before disappearing). Or was the Timber Centre a street or two further down?
BBC Hardware did front Townshend St, so I think it was where Ray White is now. Timber Centre / Mitre 10 may have been in Colbee Court. And there was at one time another hardware store in Phillip - it was on the corner of Colbee Court and Townshend St and was called "The D.I.Y. store" (or something like that).

Quote from: smitho on January 12, 2013, 02:29:15 AM
My first ever department store retail experience in Canberra was at the large Mates store in Civic, which was later rebranded as a JB Youngs store. It operated on 3 levels; its ground floor is now partly occupied by a McDonalds and IGA Civic.

Thank you. Perfect excuse to re-post this photo from the gallery:

Prior to being "Mates", the store was known as "Rogers" and was, of course, later Youngs then Grace Bros.

Can anyone recall whether that was the only Rogers / Mates store in Canberra? Were perhaps some of the Youngs stores dotted around Canberra ex-Mates stores which were bought out by J B Young?

Barry Drive

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on January 12, 2013, 12:43:50 PM
Can anyone recall whether that was the only Rogers / Mates store in Canberra? Were perhaps some of the Youngs stores dotted around Canberra ex-Mates stores which were bought out by J B Young?
Just answered my own question by browsing the ACT Heritage Library - Woden Plaza images. Photo of Palm Court from 1972 showing a Rogers store (among other things).

smitho

Would I be right in thinking that the Allens store in Dickson had been a Mates store prior to the JB YOung absorbtion of Mates?

Barry Drive

Quite possible. It was certainly a Youngs before GB sold it to Allens.

Bus 400

While this may be a little late, there is a Wikipedia page on JB Young's & can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._B._Young_Ltd

Barry Drive

Quote from: ajw373 on January 10, 2013, 02:19:11 PM
I don't ever recall there being a Youngs in Belconnen ... There was another iconic Canberra brand in the shop you are talking about selling furniture and electrical ... but the name escapes me at the moment.

Also found this in Trove regarding J B Young's at Belconnen. (July 1979)

QuoteThe Canberra-based department-store company, J. B. Young Ltd, is negotiating for space in the Belconnen Mall. The company's general manager, Mr W. G. Colman, confirmed last night that negotiations were taking place, but said nothing had been formally signed.

If J. B. Young Ltd opens in the Belconnen Mall it is likely to be in space left vacant on the lower level by Georges Discounts. The new store will probably specialise in home-makers' items, hardware and electrical goods, and is expected to open late next month.

So Young's wasn't an original tenant.

smitho

At one time, there were three  J B Youngs stores in the Civic area following its takeover of Mates. These were located in East Row, Garema Place and Cooyong Street - Braddon, near Northbourne Oval.

After closure, the Cooyong St store was demolished and a new building (of similar dimensions) was constructed and for a time, housed a duty free retail outlet. The Youngs Garema Place store building still stands and is subdivided into an arcade.

ajw373

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on November 30, 2013, 02:24:17 PM
Also found this in Trove regarding J B Young's at Belconnen. (July 1979)

So Young's wasn't an original tenant.

If Youngs did end up securing space then it mustn't have lasted too long, because Youngs was sold to Grace Bros in 1979. Now whilst they didn't own Myer at that time, who were in Belconnen Mall they did buy them in 1983 which is when they changed Youngs stores to be Grace Bros. So maybe Youngs did exist in Belco from 1979 to 1983

ajw373

Quote from: smitho on November 30, 2013, 04:22:03 PM
The Youngs Garema Place store building still stands and is subdivided into an arcade.

I used to buy games for my Commodore 64 from the Garema Place Grace Bros, and sometimes Waltons in the Monaro Mall before it closed and the mall became the Canberra Centre. BTW find it a bit rich for the Canberra Centre to be proclaiming they have been around 50 years. What was there prior to 1989 is but a minute part of what exists today.

Barry Drive

Found it.

Young's opened at Belconnen Mall on 2 August 1979.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page12390683

And it closed in 1985 when the Youngs stores were converted to Grace Bros - the Belconnen store was taken over by Triffett's.

QuoteYoungs had recently closed its hardware store in Braddon, and its homemaker store in Belconnen Mall, where the stock and premises have been taken over by Triffetts. It would close stores in Temora next week, and in the Jamison Centre in December, and Cootamundra and Yass in January.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article132374254

So, there were competing Grace Bros and Youngs stores at Belconnen between 1983 & 1985.

I think that may have been Chandlers. From memory they had one at Belconnen (where the Reject Shop is now - but I recall Priceline being next to it).
Also, the shop that became Chandler's used to be called Eric Anderson (if anyone remembers this). They also had a store at Woden Plaza and in Petrie Plaza (next to Homecrafts World of Music). This later became Betta Electrical.

And yes, smitho, the Braddon hardware store is the one you were referring to.

Barry Drive

Quote from: smitho on January 12, 2013, 08:03:28 PM
Would I be right in thinking that the Allens store in Dickson had been a Mates store prior to the JB Young absorbtion of Mates?
No you wouldn't. From what I could find, at the time of the takeover, Mates had stores at East Row, Woden Plaza, Queanbeyan, Nowra, Wagga Wagga and Goulburn. The Dickson store must have always been a J B Young's.

Buzz Killington

A bit of info about Grace Bros at Woden - also mentions there was a Fosseys store there. http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/118304758

Here's an interesting one - an advertising supplement for an expanded Woden Plaza (starts from Page 12). Of all stores, they had a Clark Rubber there!
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/12232493

Barry Drive

Fosseys was upstairs at Palm Court with an exit onto the Town Square: where Kathmandu is now.

Clark Rubber opened with Stage II, downstairs in Clock Court (under what is now Big W, where Youngs would go in Stage III). Not sure where it went with Stage III (Shop L31?), but it eventually closed leaving the Fyshwick store. I did find a photo of this online somewhere.

Sir Pompously

I cannot recall the Woden Plaza logo displayed on Page 13. The tree logo is the earliest I remember!

Buzz Killington

Map of the Hyperdome when it first opened (part of a supplement) http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/12981033

ajw373

Had a good laugh when I saw the plan from 1977 for the Kippax area, the land labelled 22 in particular. It seems even from day dot it was set aside for fast food, yet only became fast food when McDonalds open there last year (or was it the year before?). See good planning in the NCDC days. Also interesting where the club was meant to go is now housing, and housing was meant to go where the leagues club ended up. In the early days of course West Belconnen Leagues was above Pizza hut, and even before that the bar of choice for players was the Belconnen Soccer club at Hawker.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/110850231?searchTerm=kippax%20fair%20plan&searchLimits=

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sir Pompously on December 01, 2013, 05:24:12 PM
I cannot recall the Woden Plaza logo displayed on Page 13. The tree logo is the earliest I remember!
The tree logo was the third. It changed name to Woden Shopping Square in 1981 to align with the other Lend Lease centres. It had a generic Square logo.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page13930219

The tree logo was used when it changed name back to Woden Plaza.

smitho

The J B Youngs store in Manuka was on the site of the Manuka Village complex. From memory, it was a single level shop and was demolished to make way for Manuka Village.

The J B Youngs in Curtin was downstairs on the northern edge of the group centre. It was entered off a stairway leading from Curtin Square and from another stairway on the Carruthers St side.