General Discussion 2011-2015

Started by Barry Drive, December 31, 2010, 11:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

Yeah, from William Cooper/Jessie Street until Mabo Avenue north/future Forde road. This is to facilitate to opening of the new (higher above the flood plain) road & the ripping up of old road at flood plain level, which has been disguised as something else.

Busnerd

Ok, three things to mention here.

HOLY CRAP! THEY REPLACED THOSE TRAFFIC LIGHTS!!! i cannot believe this, those STUPID green faded traffic lights at the stupid intersection have annoyed me for so long, and they have finally be replaced!

Secondly WHAT THE HELL are you smoking, a digital number? It is clearly a plastic roll...the number is just faded, WTF does a bus shortage have to do with a faded desto roll? Nobody cares if the roll is faded, if you are so concerned you can ask the driver of 851 to let you get in there with a sponge and wipe down the number roll so that it is white again, it is just dust and grime and years of exposure to the light, most desto rolls that are plastic will come good again after being cleaned.

Finally Martin, if a car is illegally parked and screwing up a turn, im not sure of the intersection of you are speaking of but if it is near a kurb/corner just keep going over the kerb and make it crumble :P they might soon get the picture when all the heavy vehicles start deteriating the road/kurb surfaces :P

Bus 400

I am wondering what clear fluid would drip from the area under the drivers seat in a Renault PR100.2 MkII? To my (not so broad) knowledge, it is only the water from climate control units that would drip from that spot. But I don't think I've spotted the first Renault PR100.2 with a climate control unit fitted.

Snorzac

It would be a/c condensation, all PR2/3s drain out under the bus except 990 which just overflows into the stairwell

CNG

I was interested why dose tuggers have both CNG and Man shifts, what is point as their is no difference in capacity and requirements between a CNG and a Man. What is the point behind this, as we don't have redex runs which where soley man so why still use it?

Busnerd

Probably because gas buses typically have less range than a diesel bus and would probably need to do shorter shifts and need to allow for fuelling etc.

Bus 400

Since Christmas & Good Friday have very similar (if not the same) shop closures, what are people's thoughts on ACTION running the Christmas Loops on Good Friday as well? Some things like the hours could be different, but what is going to make more people catch a bus on Good Friday then Christmas? When the shopping centers are shut & the corners stores that are open are walking distance anyway.

lukeo25

CNG

action already has, the mini buses, just different bodies

ajw373

Quote from: CNG on April 18, 2011, 04:57:11 PM
action already has, the mini buses, just different bodies

11.5m is hardly a mini bus, though yes Action do have the shorter (midi bus) version of the Dennis Dart chassis.

Bus 400

This is off the ACTION website:
QuoteGet behind the ACTION wheel at the Canberra Region Transport Show

ACTION is exhibiting at the Canberra Region Transport Show on Sunday 1 May 2011 between 10am and 4pm.

If you are interested in becoming a bus driver, but have never driven a bus before, this is a chance to have a trial run. ACTION staff will be onsite with buses all day. Participants will receive a 20 minute safety and induction briefing. A qualified driver will be on board the bus with you for the duration of the trial to provide assistance. Information about other career opportunities at ACTION will also be available including special needs transport drivers, cleaner/refuellers and mechanics.

You must be over 20 years of age and hold a minimum of an unrestricted "C" Class Drivers Licence. Places are limited and will be allocated on a first-come basis.

The Canberra Region Transport Show, hosted by the Transport Industries Skills Centre and Lions Club of Canberra City, is held at Sutton Road Driver Training Centre. Highlights of the Show include the Snowy Hydro Southcare Helicopter, Truck and Car Show-n-Shine and vintage cars, trucks and stationery engines. There are also rides and entertainment for children. Entry is $10 for adults or $20 for a family ticket with all proceeds going to local charities.

http://www.suttonroad.com.au/
https://www.action.act.gov.au/canberra_region_transport_show.html

CNG

Bus 400

Quote from: CNG on May 08, 2011, 03:33:29 PM
i saw 716 doing a 900

A few articulated buses were sent out to cope with those attending Groovin In The Moo at the UC. Before that the 900's couldn't cope with the crowd out of City Bus Station. With buses having to leave passengers from the ever growing queue. A few requests went out over the 2 way & some drivers helped out.

Now what I don't like is the same crowds went to this event last year. Why doesn't ACTION sit down with the organizers & tell them to charter a few buses in the morning & evening. That is rather then the evening loop. Or failing that, ACTION could allocate articulated buses on the shifts that encounter the crowds (I am unsure if the steer tags can be used along the 900).

lukeo25

steer tags can't be used on 900's due to the tight corners in erindale

Buzz Killington

Standard buses can't make that turn in Erindale without either turning left from the right lane, or crossing over into the right-turn lane from McBryde into Comrie (which they usually can't thanks to the speed at which most people seem to tear up McBryde to make that turn, not noticing that 12m vehicle crossing into their path)

Bus 400

Should grey smoke come from the exhaust of a CNG Scania when it is accelerating?

Snorzac

104.7 earlier reported a bus rolling on Rudd st. Anyone know what it was, I assume it was a coach.

blackdragon

Quote from: Metrobus on May 09, 2011, 09:46:21 AM
104.7 earlier reported a bus rolling on Rudd st. Anyone know what it was, I assume it was a coach.

It wasn't a roll over, it was a Murrays coach that had rolled backwards after its driver forgot to apply the park brake when parking it in the layover on Rudd St next to 12 Moore St. It rolled backwards across the Moore St intersection, clipped a Porsche, destroyed a parking sign and was stopped from rolling into the DEEWR building by a tree. The tree did not survive.

From all accounts, the coach had minimal damage and was later parked back in the same spot (with the brake applied). I'm assuming it was later used for a 9am service to Sydney..

Sir Pompously

Saw the TBX Irisbus (I am sure it was the Iris) today with a white and blue front, and TBX livery on the side.

Snorzac

It is Irisbus Delta 220, looks weird.

Check this out everyone, Australia's first low floor double decker, the Bustech Cdi.
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=60136

TBXbusboy101

Quote from: Sir Pompously on May 17, 2011, 02:32:52 PM
Saw the TBX Irisbus (I am sure it was the Iris) today with a white and blue front, and TBX livery on the side.
They have done the same thing with one of the Volvo B7R's. I didnt see the fleet number, but by the look of the side it was either bus 226, 227, or 228.

CNG

I was interested what is the minimum age of driving a public bus in NSW/ SYDNEY (STATE TRANSIT)

Snorzac

I think it is 21. You must have held your full licence for a year. However you can get your MR (just like the ACT) once you have been on your Ps for a year. Someone will be able to confirm that or correct me!

Busnerd

Correct Zac. Hold your P's for 12 months and you are then able to do your LR/MR/HR computer test then logbook lessons then get your licence. So at minimum you can get an MR at age 18 and 19 for HR i think. However your are still provisional, it just means you can drive a larger vehicle, whilst still adhearing to your P plate restrictions.

As far as your authority card goes you need (here is the funny bit) be at least 20 and have held a full unrestricted licence for 1 year. Which as most of you will realise is not actually possible and I sent in several complaints to them trying to explain this to them and i was told that was 'for people from new zealand' which is quite obviously a load of shit and they had no idea how to explain someone can possibly be 20 and have held a full licence for 12 months when you have to hold P's for three years. I also complained to them because my ACT P plate licence as printed by the ACT Motory Registry says Provisional - Licence type - unrestricted. But according to NSW they are restricted even though I have a legal document saying UNRESTRICTED, they would not budge and said that unrestricted to them means a YELLOW or FULL licence. So basically they have no idea what they are talking about, but good luck if you want to challenge that silly department, cause they have no idea what they are doing.

But I hope all that info helps, so basically, if you want the EARLIEST date, then get your P's as soon as you turn 17 and you can get your authority the day you turn 21

The Love Guru

Quote from: Busn00b on June 27, 2011, 01:29:07 PM
Correct Zac. Hold your P's for 12 months and you are then able to do your LR/MR/HR computer test then logbook lessons then get your licence. So at minimum you can get an MR at age 18 and 19 for HR i think. However your are still provisional, it just means you can drive a larger vehicle, whilst still adhearing to your P plate restrictions.

As far as your authority card goes you need (here is the funny bit) be at least 20 and have held a full unrestricted licence for 1 year. Which as most of you will realise is not actually possible and I sent in several complaints to them trying to explain this to them and i was told that was 'for people from new zealand' which is quite obviously a load of shit and they had no idea how to explain someone can possibly be 20 and have held a full licence for 12 months when you have to hold P's for three years. I also complained to them because my ACT P plate licence as printed by the ACT Motory Registry says Provisional - Licence type - unrestricted. But according to NSW they are restricted even though I have a legal document saying UNRESTRICTED, they would not budge and said that unrestricted to them means a YELLOW or FULL licence. So basically they have no idea what they are talking about, but good luck if you want to challenge that silly department, cause they have no idea what they are doing.

But I hope all that info helps, so basically, if you want the EARLIEST date, then get your P's as soon as you turn 17 and you can get your authority the day you turn 21

That rule Mat actually dates back to when provisional licenses only lasted 1 year. I had my authority at 19 and my wife had hers at 18 (and still on her green P's as the rules hadn't caught up with the new system yet). What they have done is change the wording from held a license for 12 months to held an unrestricted license for 12 months.

No matter what the piece of paper says your license is restricted on your P's, as you have to obey different blood alcohol and speed restrictions. That said, once you are 20 and have a full license, i don't see how MOT can hold you back from getting an authority to carry passengers, as they should only be checking that you are of suitable character to carry passengers. It is the RTAs job to ensure you can drive the vehicle.

As with most things in NSW govt, its all F***ED up and no one is going to admit the system is wrong.

Busnerd

Ahh thanks for that explanation Chris, that makes more sense now than the obvious bullshit that woman told me. Having a condition in there for 'people from new zealand' was obviously a lie since they would probably have to have a different sort of application anyway.

You should write up a formal letter and send that to them and other departments about the error. Perhaps use a fancy letterhead :P and NOT brindabella computers.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Busn00b on June 30, 2011, 06:29:19 PM
You should write up a formal letter and send that to them and other departments about the error. Perhaps use a fancy letterhead :P and NOT brindabella computers.

ajw373

Quote from: Busn00b on June 30, 2011, 06:29:19 PM
Ahh thanks for that explanation Chris, that makes more sense now than the obvious bullshit that woman told me. Having a condition in there for 'people from new zealand' was obviously a lie since they would probably have to have a different sort of application anyway.

I wouldn't say the New Zealand thing is a lie. They have given you a very valid reason of how someone could meet the requirements as written. It is not just New Zealand either, Australian authorities exchange licences from several countries on a like for like basis.

For example my wife got her UK licence in Oct 2010 and changed to a full unrestricted ACT licence in Feb 2011. However if she had of got her licence in Australia in Oct 2010 she would be on her P's.

So entirely possible to have held a full licence for 1 year and be aged 20.

Kramden

Seeing these last few posts relate to licencing/training etc, I'll offer up the following just an aside.

Remarkably I saw three buses on training today within as many hours:

781, in the city
467, STag training through Belco Bus Station, Westfield bound
143, near Belco depot.

smitho

Yeah, there was a general announcement from Comms this morning calling on volunteers from Belco Depot to do Steer Tag training today if not already qualified.

Bus 400

Murray's Coaches has one of its new coaches in an AOA promoting Floriade. It will start on Canberra to Sydney's from Monday. It featured on WIN News this evening.

A photo can be found at http://the-riotact.com/the-floriade-bus-to-rumble-along-the-hume/51187

Bus 400

Can anyone tell me what these bits of shiny metal for are at the back of Bus 449?

There is another one is roughly the same position of the left side of the bus as well.

Snorzac

I recall someone telling me that it had something to do with some sort of clip for the engine hatch not installed on the bus, that could have been something else though.

Busnerd

It is sort of like a lock, you open the flap and put a T key in to open the lock.

Bus 400

I'm sure most of us have been past the Barton Terminus over the years, well not long after the school holidays finished work started on the median strip of National Circuit. I am unsure what the final plan is, but at the moment holes have been dug around all the cement islands on said road. This now makes it difficult for standard size buses to make the right turn from National Circuit to Sydney Avenue (Woden bound). To make this turn, I have seen buses come right over to the far left of the lane & make a sharp turn to the right.

Barry Drive

982 now also has one of those aerials in the front air vent.

Bus 400

Quote from: Bus 400 on August 17, 2011, 10:00:02 PM
I'm sure most of us have been past the Barton Terminus over the years, well not long after the school holidays finished work started on the median strip of National Circuit. I am unsure what the final plan is, but at the moment holes have been dug around all the cement islands on said road. This now makes it difficult for standard size buses to make the right turn from National Circuit to Sydney Avenue (Woden bound). To make this turn, I have seen buses come right over to the far left of the lane & make a sharp turn to the right.

To the joy of any driver who has used Sydney Avenue to layover before a run will be glad to find out that traffic lights are being installed at this intersection.

Kramden

ACT Bus Forum wrote:
We could have sent you a birthday card.  We could have sent you some flowers or a cake.

But we didn't.

We could have even sent you one of those automatically generated messages to wish you happy birthday where we don't even have to replace INSERT NAME.

But we didn't

We wrote this birthday greeting just for you.

We would like to wish you a very special birthday.

Regards,
The ACT Bus Forum Team.

Thanks for the brithday greeting guys.  If you'd asked me LAST brithday whether I could see myself driving around in an ACTION bus on THIS birthday, the answer would have been: "No way!"

It's often said that a week in politics is a L-O-N-G time but a year in everyday life is not only a long time, things can also change dramatically.  Glad they have.

Keep up the good work with the Forum.

Kramden... 'once a fat arse bus driver on black and white TV'.

Buzz Killington

I trust the definitely not automated birthday email still has "THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE, PLEASE DO NOT REPLY" at the footer..

Happy birthday Kramden  :beerbang:

Kramden

It just says...

//:: This message was automatically generated :://

Merv319

I saw Bus 301 this mornig at Gungahlin Marketplace, WITHOUT ITS RACK...
I'm so sorry I didn't take photos, but I'm 100% sure it didn't have the rack.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Merv319 on September 15, 2011, 11:32:27 AM
I saw Bus 301 this mornig at Gungahlin Marketplace, WITHOUT ITS RACK...
I'm so sorry I didn't take photos, but I'm 100% sure it didn't have the rack.
You are 100% correct. Metrobus has reported the same via twitter.

Most likely it has returned from interstate and they haven't had a chance to fit a bike rack before it entered service. 311 did a similar thing - but they fitted a DL2 before it went back on the road.

Merv319

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on September 15, 2011, 11:49:28 AM
You are 100% correct. Metrobus has reported the same via twitter.

Most likely it has returned from interstate and they haven't had a chance to fit a bike rack before it entered service. 311 did a similar thing - but they fitted a DL2 before it went back on the road.

"Returned from interstate"? Where has it been?
Having no chance to re-equip its rack sounds like a severe vehicle shortage...

Bus 400

Information on ACTION's Governance & Customer Service Charter can be found at https://www.action.act.gov.au/governance.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smitho

Ntoiced a new format / newly worded ACTION customer charter in the gas MAN bus I had on yesterday's Detail...includes references to MyWay. Seems longer than old Charter.

lukeo25

This evening as I passed geoscience there is a new bunker shelter at the woden bound stop , odd place for a bunker if you ask me :)

ajw373

Also noticed a 'new' bunker going in on Kerrigan Street in Dunlop near Shakespear Cres.

Snorzac

There was a Mk I with white rear panelling at the building on the non-AMC side of the Southcare base.

Sir Pompously

There are two MkI's at the Emergency Services building near Southcare.

I also saw an all white MkI near the Gull at Hume, had School bus stickers on the back and what looked to be NSW Rego. Could be an ex-Fearnes vehicle heading elsewhere.