Canberra 1988 (Part 2)

Started by Bus 400, August 25, 2009, 11:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

Below are a few pictures my Uncle took of Canberra for a course at the University of New England. I'll do some comparing shots eventually.Woden Plaza, Neptune Street

Old & New Parliament House

Sullivan's Creek ANU

Tuggeranong Town Centre

University Avenue ANU

Buzz Killington

that first one of Woden is not Neptune street. on the right hand side of that phoo is where dick smith and hoyts are now. you can clearly see bonner house in the background, and there is a franklins sign over the entrance which used to be on that side of the plaza. the photo would have been taken from corrinna street, probably just near centrelink.

lukeo25

could the one of tuggers be taken near the interchange ? or near tugmac

Sir Pompously

Quote from: lukeo25 on August 26, 2009, 08:05:57 PM
could the one of tuggers be taken near the interchange ? or near tugmac
Looks to be where the Southern Cross Club is now. The old Multi Storey Carpark is clearly seen, along with the Grace Bros. entry, and side wall where the Intechange currently is. Homeworld Tower is also seen on the right hand side of the photograph.

lukeo25

at least i was close enough for a guess

Buzz Killington

That's too far away to be taken from where the Club is now. I'd say it is closer to the corner of Cowlishaw and Athllon.

You can see the traffic lights at the intersection of Pitman and Scollay (Howell) at the corner of the carpark - this is where the SC Club entry is now.

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on August 27, 2009, 07:00:37 PM
That's too far away to be taken from where the Club is now. I'd say it is closer to the corner of Cowlishaw and Athllon.

You can see the traffic lights at the intersection of Pitman and Scollay (Howell) at the corner of the carpark - this is where the SC Club entry is now.
Yes, you're right there. The Tuggeranong Market later occupied a lot of the vacant space you can see in the foreground.

Bus 400

That would be right, it is to be harder to grab a 2009 version of the same shot.