Tuggeranong Hyperdome

Started by Sir Pompously, February 27, 2009, 09:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Buzz Killington on September 23, 2009, 07:10:21 PM
New operator wasn't named, but they are going to refurbish the site over the coming months, plus install new seating and a digital sound system.

A 'formal' announcement in a few weeks.

Cool. What is your speculation? I reckon Greater Union (You never know, we may get our first eVent), however Dendy may have a possibility. To refurbish the existing cinema, I don't think it would be a small operator, rather a large operator in direct competition with Hoyts.

Buzz Killington

Some are saying that Tuggeranong doesn't exactly fit Dendy's demographic.

I'd like to see Dendy but I think Greater Union/Event (who came up with 'Event' anyways? Terrible..) is more likely.

Pacific 8, anyone?

Sir Pompously

Wasn't it "Pacific 6" When it first opened in Tuggeranong?

Buzz Killington

Barry Drive

A poster on RiotACT claimed that Greater Union weren't interested in operating at Tuggeranong, which suggests it won't become an Event cinema. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be Reading Cinemas.

Buzz Killington

Well, it's not Greater Union, Event, Dendy or Reading.

Opening on 26 December will be Limelight Cinemas - an independent chain. WIN News just showed some footage of the renovations and it looks fantastic!

Busnerd

Silly name but should be good, hopefully will reliven the centre...and im sure everyone will be calling it hoyts for years to come or pacific 6

Buzz Killington

Bump

Was at the Hyperdome the other day, and as part of a hunt for a dvd I wanted, I visited Myer.

Only problem... Their entire "Virgin" entertainment section (CDs/DVDs) has vanished. I can only assume it is because there's a Sanity in the centre (same owners), but found it very odd that Myer don't cater to that market anymore. As far as I know, they still have these sections in the Belco and City Stores.

There were heaps of other little shops closed down too.

The section from Target up to about the food court was fairly busy, but you could swing a cat quite easily up near Myer.

blackdragon

Quote from: Buzz Killington on July 11, 2010, 02:22:56 PM
Bump

Was at the Hyperdome the other day, and as part of a hunt for a dvd I wanted, I visited Myer.

Only problem... Their entire "Virgin" entertainment section (CDs/DVDs) has vanished. I can only assume it is because there's a Sanity in the centre (same owners), but found it very odd that Myer don't cater to that market anymore. As far as I know, they still have these sections in the Belco and City Stores.

There were heaps of other little shops closed down too.

The section from Target up to about the food court was fairly busy, but you could swing a cat quite easily up near Myer.

It has been gone for at least the last 4 months, the one in the Canberra Centre Myer closed about 2 months ago too. I think Myer are progressively removing them from their stores as they couldn't compete on the prices offered everywhere else and the crash in the number of cd/dvds being sold.

Sir Pompously

Not sure how recent this is, but when I was exiting the carpark at the Hyperdome it had a Colonial First State global asset management sticker covering the Centro logo. Also, the Lifestyle centre has recieved a new look HYPERDOME logo.

blackdragon

Colonial First State took over managing the Hyperdome in about October 2009, the Centro signage disappeared soon after. It's still owned 50/50 between Leda and Centro, but from what I've seen Centro will sell its stake very soon or Leda will do it for them.

I have noticed that the centre has come back to life in the past few months with a lot of new shops opening, or close to opening. Quite a few of the existing tenants have relocated within the centre or have refurbished. Looks like the new centre management are finally starting to kick in..

smitho

A gym and an outdoors centre are going into the vacant shops in the western wing (the former Tuggeranong Market site) just to the east of The Good Guys and opposite Harris Scarfe.

Buzz Killington

Went to the Hyperdome on the weekend and noticed at least half a dozen new stores and several other relocations and/or refurbs. The centre was relatively busy (although it is a week out from Christmas) and actually looked pretty decent.

Nando's opening soon out on Anketell St, too.

p_stampy

There has been some add on tv promoting the hyperdome saying there are new shops or something.. I didnt pay much attention to it though.

Buzz Killington

From memory it was all clothes plus a camping world and nando's. Although I think camping world just moved across from homeworld.

Also noticed a big sign stating that the woolies will (FINALLY) get a refurb "in 2011". Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure it's the only one in  the region that has the old dark green registers that all face the same way and the angled express lane.

Sir Pompously

I am sure that is about right, the only other store I have been into with the old school interior is Kogarah. All it would need to be original is Macs Liquor, Marios Meats, Mr Pickwicks Bakery and Blue Mountain Fresh Produce (I cannot remember what the seafood section was called, if any).

Busnerd

Don't forget charnwood :P

Also for Flemmings Enthusiasts, Flemmings at Pendle Hill is now a refurbed Mini woolies, so this leaves only two stores, Bexley North and Jannali

bubzie

calwell's half upgraded.. (it has the signage and shit, but the front end is still retro)

blackdragon

The new management of the Hyperdome must have given Woolies a better deal with the rent to convince them to refurbish it. I believe they were holding out on refurbishing the store because they were being charged an enormous amout of rent, stemming from back when they originally opened the store when it was the only store south of Woden/Mawson, and it wasn't cost effective for them to do anything to it and the old operators refused to dea; . It will be a major refurb, I think there will be a fair bit of gutting the existing store but very much needed.

Both Charnwood and Calwell are both up for extension in the next year (assuming the development apps that were up a while ago were approved), Charnwood will more than double in size and Calwell will gain a bit more space. From memory, Charny only had the old bottle green registers from the Belconnen or Kippax store, the rest was the updated gumnut green and Calwell was fully updated gumnut green. Anyway, Kambah is still also fully gumnut green which means it will be the last one here in the older format although I believe W are trying to get the land to expand that store too.

bubzie

Buzz Killington

Never liked the kambah store. Understocked, underserviced, poor service and unclean.

Bus 400

I have been told that Kambah is the worse store in Canberra & when an employee misbehaves it is easier to transfer them to Kambah &/or make them a department manager (fresh food, etc)*.

*That isn't the case with all Woolworths Kambah employees, just some of them.

Buzz Killington

Angus & Robertson will close in the near future (in addition to the City store) as a result of their parent company's financial troubles.

Dymocks must be pleased..

With the 'Southlife' section doing pretty well for itself out on Anketell St, it would be nice if the "Centrepoint" building across the street could be done up and attract some eateries. It's shoddy, empty appearance is the polar opposite of the other side of the road.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Buzz Killington on March 04, 2011, 06:23:34 PM
Angus & Robertson will close in the near future (in addition to the City store) as a result of their parent company's financial troubles.

Further to that, they're both running a 50% off storewide sale to clear out their stock.

lukeo25

i was at the tuggers store today purchasing 4 books normaly they would have been $130 and i got them for $60-70

Buzz Killington

The civic store was packed, with a line winding around the store. Picked up a few bargains and managed to get a few upcoming birthdays sorted.

Bus 400

Buzz Killington

Posted on Riot ACT:

QuoteWord on the street is, and I have no written evidence to back this up, only rumour, that Myers in Tuggers will close it's doors at the end of it's lease, and Big W will move in upstairs and JB Hi Fi downstairs. This doesn't surprise me given the obvious lack of customers cruising through Myers and a huge lack of staff in there. I've had to physically go looking for staff in other departments to pay for items recently.

This is what the Hyperdome really needs (amongst many other things).

Bus 400

Busnerd

I wonder if that person realises its called MYER not MYERS

Bus 400

The Hyperdome Newsagency will be relocating to the other side of Anketel Street. It will be moving into the shops that have been up for lease for years.

Buzz Killington

About time something went over there. Hopefully the Hyperdome can fill that gap and it would be nice to see the Newsagency extend their range.

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on May 15, 2011, 06:56:33 PM
About time something went over there. Hopefully the Hyperdome can fill that gap and it would be nice to see the Newsagency extend their range.

Visited the relocated newsagency recently - came away impressed - far more stock, spacious, helpful staff. Seems to open quite early too.

Tuggeranong Town Centre could do with more on-street retailing like this...much better than the 'dome.

Buzz Killington

I popped in there this afternoon for a bit of a browse before my bus came. Agree with your impressions Smitho - was greeted by a staff member who was stocking shelves pretty much as soon as I walked in.

Haven't been to the one inside the centre that took its place but from the outside that one looked rather ordinary.

smitho

Extensions to the Hyperdome at the north-western end are coming along quickly; as far as I can tell, they're causing minimal disruption to interchange operations despite close proximity.

Buzz Killington

According to Limelight Cinemas on Facebook, the Hyperdome was pretty badly flooded tonight and the centre closed for the evening.

smitho

Northern extensions to the Hyperdome adjacent to Tuggeranong Interchange received the first external cladding panels (affixed to the 2-storey steel girder framework) today.

Main external works on the adjoining blocks of flats/residential units adjoining the Interchange is nearing completion, with distinctive lime green balcony panels fitted over recent days.

Bus 400

Having done an inspection this morning, the units next to the bus station are a while off yet (another month or so).

Level 2 of the old Myer Tuggeranong has been completely gutted with only the metal supports visible & the old glass windows gone. They must be weird people building that as I would love to keep the heat in & cold out for as long as possible.

EDITED - Myer, not Myers.

Busnerd

Ah, so they removed the old glass windows did they? Much better than those porcelain or wooden windows that other shops use ;)

Buzz Killington

Kmart's renovation is finally underway. The bits that have been done look really good.

They're also moving into that little shop that sat between the front of Kmart and Coles. (Originally an arcade, then clothing stores, most recently the gift shop that has moved opposite)

CNG

yes it certainly will be, all the staff have been appointed and has almost all been fited out

Bus 400

It does appear that Harris Scarfe & Reject Shop are opening on the lower level of the old Myer store tomorrow. Haven't found anything on when JB Hifi will open.

smitho

Camping World (in the former Tuggeranong Market) has folded up and is in administration.

Buzz Killington

Read that all their stores are in administration, as is the former Camping World in Phillip (it changed its name last year sometime)

Bus 400

Busnerd

No doubt will save them heaps of money whilst still being almost in the same place, no real disadvantage to anyone besides the Hyperdome who will end up leasing that corner spot to a rug clearance store

Sylvan Loves Buses

Looks like the construction where the old Hot Dollar was is finally opening something. I don't know what type of shop it's called but from what I saw in the crack in the door, it appears the Hyperdome is getting a games/arcade like Belconnen Mall's next to Hoytz.

Buzz Killington

iPlay are opening there.

Takes me back to the days where the Hyperdome had an "arcade". There was a very small one in the shop that used to be between Kmart and Coles, which I think relocated into Hoyts at one point (or the other way around).

Going back a little further, there was one where St George is now.