ABS Bus Station

Started by Bus 400, September 11, 2010, 08:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

Good to see the work progressing here. If it is the same company who supplied the pavers for the new Westfield Belconnen work, then they have come from Bink Pavers in Mitchell. It is also good to see that a fence has been put down the middle of the road.

It is also funny to note that things have been swapped around from the Old Belconnen Interchange, with people waiting where the buses use to drive & buses driving through where the pedestrian walkway was.

smitho

Let's hope they plant plenty of trees down the middle; the platforms look very bare and sterile...will be quite glarey for passengers and drivers without some relief ....

CNG

still wish belconen interchange was there

Sir Pompously

Why? It was outdated, cold, closed in, a complete eyesore and not to mention if you wanted to go anywhere but the shopping centre it was a long walk. The newer bus stations located at multiple locations throughout the towncentre is a much better way to serve the public.

CNG

I liked the old interchange as it was protected, off the road and the walk to the shops wasn't far, not compared to the current situation. However Iam someone who is old fashioned and tend to be a bit sceptical about change.

Sir

So the space next to it where the buses used to park is becoming a carpark?

Sir

I ment next to the the new abs road, next to the old interchange/footbridge.
The buses would always park there while drivers on break.

WoodenAgent

Quote from: CNG on September 12, 2010, 07:44:35 AM
I liked the old interchange as it was protected, off the road and the walk to the shops wasn't far, not compared to the current situation. However Iam someone who is old fashioned and tend to be a bit sceptical about change.

I liked its key design feature:  linking in with the pedestrian walkways around Belconnen.  It also put the passengers in the middle, with the buses on both sides, so there was no temptation to run across the bus-way.  The new one copies Perth, where people routinely walk in front of buses to get from one platform to another.

Snorzac

I totally agree, the design of the old interchange was superior to any of the new ones.

Buzz Killington

Barry Drive

Quote from: WoodenAgent on March 14, 2011, 05:50:54 PM
I liked its key design feature:  linking in with the pedestrian walkways around Belconnen.
And as you can see, part of the master plan was the removal of the pedestrian walkways. In the good ol' days you could walk from the far end of the Benjamin Offices to the far end of Cameron Offices (via Belconnen Interchange and Belconnen Churches Centre) or to Belconnen Mall without once crossing a road (or even walking beside one).

Now the concept is to have pedestrians on/beside roads without any separation.