Network 19 - ActBus suggestions

Started by Northside, January 12, 2019, 06:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northside

Network 19 (plan B) has been out for a while now. I thought we might be able to see if we can do any better. I have been playing around with some options and suggestions. I'm not sure how much change it will affect, but I guess it's a start.

My aim was to change the network with no loss or gain of bus time. I have achieved this using rudimentary google map times. Which, I know aren't exact or very scientific and don't account for layover times or dead running, but is a reasonable guide. I used the frequencies from the original Network 19 (or what I remember of them) to determine bus minutes lost or gained each hour, but that may not be accurate any more.

My main philosophy was to bring back through-running of the rapid routes - this means routes can travel as a trunk between major destinations, then fan out in the suburbs to provide more one-seat journeys and reduce the over-serving of some suburban rapid routes. Where routes have been split, I have added a letter suffix. Ie I propose an R2A and R2B. The other way may be to have an R21, R22 combine for the R2 route, but then that requires a whole re-numbering of the network and I didn't really feel like doing that. It could work if the Rapid Routes were numbered roughly in the same order as the routes around them (ie R8 becomes R2, R2 becomes R4 etc...). Maybe I'll play around if I can be bothered.

I've also changed routes 180 and 182 to be X80 and X82, so they stand out as peak express routes, and any routes with deviations, making them L18, L54 so they are clearly marked as limited routes. This should help users understand there are routes that don't run 7 days a week or regularly.

The new network is shown below:

Below are the route changes described for each region. I have calculated the rough minutes gained or saved with each change:

Gungahlin
Route   Mins saved/gained per hr   Route Changes
R8A    +32   Extension of R8 to Moncrieff Via Mirrabei (half hourly for now – increase to full R8 rapid when demand requires)
L18              Prefix L used to indicate limited service to Bimberi
19/20  +8      Coverage of Paul Coe
23/24          Routes removed – Now 30/33   
25/26  +4    Via Plimsoll, not Horse Park – route rationalised with 27 and 28
27       +39  Combination of 27 and 28 not covered by R8 – double frequency to 30 min – simplified route in Ngunnawal
28       -34   Removed
Total   +49

Belconnen

R3A   -       Old R3 – reduced frequency in Spence – rapid routes not required down suburban streets
R3B   -2     Covers old 43 through Evatt – uses William Web to cover large gap in services
R2A   -       Old R2 – reduced frequency in Macgregor/Dunlop – rapid routes not required down suburban streets
R2B   -       Covers old 40/41 through Macgregor/Charnwood – routes through Charnwood switched to allow better access to shops.
30   +14  Extension to Gungahlin via Crace/old 23/24 – connection to Belconnen via 33 at Chuculba or short walk to R8 on William Slim
32   +4    Route switch to service Jamison PnR first then Macquarie, Cook
33   -8     Single route 33 covering Palmerston/Crace then old 30 to Belconnen – increased cross region routes
40   -48   Route removed – now split between 41/43/44/R2B
41   +10  Reroute to cover McKellar part of old 43, old 40 and now provides direct access to UC Hospital (yes, now a cross platform transfer at Belco)
43   -74   Route removed
43/44 +6   Route 40 through Florey/Latham combined with 44 as a loop service and extended around MacGregor
                 Route serves Belconnen markets and not Cohen St stn to/from Belconnen Way
Total  -98

Inner Canberra
31   +4      Reroute through Braddon – provides visible public transport through Braddon and more direct access to Civic, terminates at Canberra Ctr
X52   (+26)  Xpresso service Brindabella Pk to Fairbairn
53   +18    Reroute to cover ANU campus
L54             Prefix L used to indicate Limited extension to Campbell Park
56   -16     Reroute via Forrest, Parkes in place of Kingston and Russell – half hourly frequency retained by alternating hourly 56/59
59   +17    Extension of route 56 to Red Hill – maintains connection to Woden via R6 from Fyshwick and COC
Total +23

Woden/Weston Creek
R7A   -36    Current route R7, then extends to South Chapman via old route 64 – now half hourly service
R7B   -        Old route 70 with diversion via Fremantle. Now continues to city as R7 – access to Woden via R11
R7C   -        Old route 71 with diversion via Fremantle. Now continues to city as R7 – access to Woden via R11
R11   +106  New rapid from Woden to Denman via Cooleman Ct – replaces slow route 66 – 15 min freq. Woden to Cooleman Ct 30 min freq to Denman
X11 (+102) Expresso service Woden to Belconnen via Cooleman Ct – will be removed when R11 continues to Belconnen
63   +6      Route covers Rivett section of old 64.
64   -28     Route removed, now R7A
65   -3       Now Covers Hilder st from route 66, more direct route to Blackwood Tce
66   -42     More direct route - Woden/Cooleman to Molonglo now covered by R11
70   -16     Route now R7B
71   -16     Route now R7C
Total -35

Tuggeranong
R4A     -        Old Route 80 now continues to Belconnen as R4 – extends rapid route through Bonython
R4B      -       Old Route 78 now continues to Belconnen as R4
72/73  -        Route returns to Tuggeranong via old route 77
74/75  -10    Route returns to Tuggeranong via route lost via 72/73 – saves an extra redundant Erindale to Tuggeranong route.
          +78    Now via Calwell to provide quick access between Calwell and Tuggeranong. Upgraded to half hourly
77        -       Route removed, now looped service as 72/73
78        -       Route now R4B
80        -       No routes in peak – all will be X80
X80    (+26)  Xpresso route now via Tuggeranong – frequency doubled to counteract removed 181 – can change at Tuggeranong for R4 to Woden
81        -       Route now R4A – extra routes in peak to counteract removal of 181 – allows for change at Tuggeranong for express to civic
181      -       Removed, now X80 / R4A
Total   +68

Overall +7 bus minutes every hour – this gets pretty close to parity, so not too bad
In peak +163 – less than 3 extra buses total in peak to cover the extra xpresso routes and the detour of the Lanyon xpresso routes detouring via Tuggeranong.

Toyota Camry

There is high demand for bus travel to the masjid in Spence at prayer times; your proposal to split R3 into separate routes is not only racist, but it also does not address that demand.

Busfanatic101

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on January 12, 2019, 10:12:04 PM
What???
My post has been translated into a number of languages below; this is to help you understand it.

هناك طلب كبير على السفر بالحافلات إلى المسجد في سبنس في أوقات الصلاة ؛ اقتراحك لتقسيم R3 إلى طرق منفصلة ليس عنصريًا فحسب ، ولكنه أيضًا لا يعالج هذا الطلب.

Hay una gran demanda de viajes en autobús a la mezquita en Spence en los tiempos de oración; Su propuesta de dividir R3 en rutas separadas no solo es racista, sino que tampoco responde a esa demanda.

Il y a une forte demande de bus pour se rendre à la masjid de Spence aux heures de prière; votre proposition de scinder le R3 en plusieurs itinéraires est non seulement raciste, mais elle ne répond pas non plus à cette demande.

在祈禱時間,對Spence的清真寺的公共汽車旅行有很高的需求; 你將R3分成不同路線的建議不僅是種族主義,而且也沒有解決這種需求。

Có nhu cầu cao về du lịch xe buýt đến masjid ở Spence vào giờ cầu nguyện; đề xuất của bạn để chia R3 thành các tuyến riêng biệt không chỉ phân biệt chủng tộc mà còn không giải quyết được nhu cầu đó.

نماز پڑھنے پر اسپینس میں مسجد کے بس کی سفر کا مطالبہ ہے؛ R3 کو علیحدہ راستے میں تقسیم کرنے کے لئے آپ کی تجویز نہ صرف نسل پرست ہے، بلکہ یہ بھی اس مطالبے کو حل نہیں کرتا.

Ada permintaan tinggi untuk perjalanan bus ke masjid di Spence pada waktu sholat; proposal Anda untuk membagi R3 menjadi rute yang terpisah tidak hanya rasis, tetapi juga tidak memenuhi permintaan itu.

עס איז הויך פאָדערונג פֿאַר ויטאָבוס אַרומפאָרן צו די מאַסדזשיד אין ספּענס בייַ תפילה מאל; דיין פאָרשלאָג צו שפּאַלטן ר 3 אין באַזונדער רוץ איז נישט בלויז ראַסיסט, אָבער עס אויך טוט נישט אַדרעס דעם פאָדערונג.

Zu Gebetszeiten besteht eine große Nachfrage nach Busreisen zur Masjid in Spence; Ihr Vorschlag, R3 in getrennte Routen aufzuteilen, ist nicht nur rassistisch, sondern entspricht auch nicht dieser Forderung.

ਮਸਜਿਦ ਵਿਚ ਬੱਸ ਯਾਤਰਾ ਸਪੈਨਸ ਵਿਚ ਪ੍ਰਾਰਥਨਾ ਦੇ ਸਮੇਂ ਲਈ ਬਹੁਤ ਮੰਗ ਹੈ; R3 ਨੂੰ ਵੱਖਰੇ ਰਸਤੇ ਵਿਚ ਵੰਡਣ ਦੇ ਤੁਹਾਡੇ ਪ੍ਰਸਤਾਵ ਨਾ ਸਿਰਫ ਜਾਤੀਵਾਦੀ ਹਨ, ਪਰ ਇਹ ਉਹ ਮੰਗ ਨੂੰ ਵੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਸੁਣਾਉਂਦਾ.

Toyota Camry

I feel that route 54 should be removed; route 55 would operate to service Majura Park via Reid and Campbell. I have provided below a link showing the proposed route.

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=729963

During peak periods, routes 56 would operate; this is a service operating to Campbell Park Offices, ADFA, Duntroon, Hospice & Russell; the two services would combine to provide a high frequency service to Campbell and Reid.

This link is for route 56, this service is proposed to operate Monday to Friday between 06:30 to 09:30 & 15:30 to 18:30 only.

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=729965

Northside

Quote from: Toyota Camry on January 14, 2019, 10:42:52 PM
I feel that route 54 should be removed; route 55 would operate to service Majura Park via Reid and Campbell. I have provided below a link showing the proposed route.

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=729963

During peak periods, routes 56 would operate; this is a service operating to Campbell Park Offices, ADFA, Duntroon, Hospice & Russell; the two services would combine to provide a high frequency service to Campbell and Reid.

This link is for route 56, this service is proposed to operate Monday to Friday between 06:30 to 09:30 & 15:30 to 18:30 only.

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=729965

I agree that the 55 and 54 could totally be combined to produce a better route, but I still think that War Memorial needs a closer service and ADFA needs a 7 day, all day service.

Northside

I've just made a few tweaks in v2, mainly around the rapid routes. I think there are some savings that can be made by reducing the frequency of the current R4 so the current R5 can be redirected as a direct rapid. Then the new R11 can now run limited stop to the city via Deakin, Barton and Russell. This provides better access to the office parks at Deakin and is not significantly slower than the current R5 route. It also provides better access to Russell and Barton for Weston Creek and Molonglo patrons and a quicker route for all existing R5 patrons. I have also combined the 57 and 58 into a rapid route to clearly mark Parliament House as having a frequent service (as it already does anyway) These changes have been made in bold below. I have also adjusted the rapids to align closer to their local routes:

R1 – City to Gungahlin via Northbourne
R2 – Belconnen to Gungahlin
         (R2A continues to Moncrieff)
R3 – Airport to Melba via City, Russell Belconnen and Florey
         (R3A continues to Spence via Spence Shops
          R3B continues to Spence via Evatt)
R4 – Fyshwick to Kippax via Barton, City and Belconnen
        (R4A continues to Fraser via MacGregor and Dunlop
         R4B continues to Fraser via MacGregor and Charnwood Shops)
R5 – City to Deakin via Parliament House
        (R5A continues to Woden via Deakin Shops and Curtin
         R5B continues to Woden via Yarralumla, Hughes and Garran)
(previous 57 and 58 just renamed )
R6 – City West to Woden via Barton, Kingston, Manuka and Narrabundah
R7 – City to Cooleman Ct via Weston PnR
        (R7A continues to Chapman via Duffy
         R7B continues to Tuggeranong via Stirling and Kambah West
         R7C continues to Tuggeranong via Stirling and Kambah East)
R8 – City to Bonython via Woden, Mawson PnR, Wanniassa PnR and Tuggeranong (reduced frequency and terminates at city)
       (R8A continues to Lanyon via Gordon and Banks
        R8B continues to Chisholm via Isabella Plans)
R9 – Belconnen to Lanyon via City, Woden, Mawson PnR, Erindale and Calwell
(now direct to city and extends to provide direct route to  Belconnen
R10 – City to Denman Prospect via Weston PnR
R11 – City to Denman Prospect via Russell, Barton, Forrest then limited stops to Woden (Girls Grammar, Deakin Shops, Calvary, Deakin HS, CIT), then Cooleman Ct. Replaces the diversion of the old R5.
R12 – Belconnen to Watson via Bruce and Dickson

Northside

I've updated the map above with the new 54 and 55 routes - now shared through Reid and Campbell to provide a 30 min frequency through there - but still just a 60 min frequency to Majura Pk and ADFA. Not sure how bad the right turn on to Limestone Ave is in peak, so that may not be a great idea. I guess the other option is to run to majura as a shuttle to/from the airport to connect with the R3...