New Road Extensions/Openings

Started by Bus 400, March 03, 2010, 08:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

I was having a look of works under consideration by the National Capital Authority & the Clarrie Hermes Drive Extension to the Barton Highway has been put forward for consideration, with SMEC putting the proposal forward.This list of works under consideration can be found at http://www.nationalcapital.gov.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=627&Itemid=276Now for those that are unaware, the National Capital Authority looks after the planning on roads entering Canberra & as such skip the ACT Plan & Land Authority. 

Bus 400

For information on all the road works planned for the ACT over the next 12 months can be found at http://www.tams.act.gov.au/move/roads/construction_projects

Bus 400

Work has begun on the Sandford Street/Flemington Road intersection, with the work area being marked out & a site office located there.

The work to be carried out on London Circuit has been marked & work has started on the Northbourne Avenue upgrade.

I am unaware if this is included in the London Circuit work, but a strip on Platform 1 at City Interchange has been identified as needing work (it is the spot where the road sinks a bit).

Bus 400

All traffic on Flemington Road now use the new duplication while the original road is upgraded with new bus bays (including a few extras) & resealed (to look like the new road). A lot of the side roads into Harrison/Gungahlin have been closed to facilitate this work.

So far no work has been done to the new Gungahlin bound stops except for signs saying "Bus Zone" as I was driving down Flemington Road tonight an excavator was ripping out the old northbound bollard. But no need to worry, the bollard will be used again, it may just have a new metal pole up its middle.

Bus 400

The southbound lanes of the Kings Avenue roundabout have now been closed. Now the Russel exit of Kings Avenue, the right lane is a bus lane & the left lane is for cars. As per the other end of the roundabout, a new slip lane has been built. The only difference is that the newest slip lane is controlled with traffic lights & is a 2 lane slip lane. I can see long delays being experienced now.

Another little thing I noticed today was at the roundabout of Yamba Drive/Yarra Glen/ Melrose Drive, guidance lines have been placed on the far right lane for southbound traffic. It appears that that these markings will make it so that there is only 1 lane of traffic going from Yarra Glen to Melrose Drive.

Bus 400

The prelinary documention fo the Clarrie Hermes Drive extension has been released for comment & can be found at http://www.actpla.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/17933/Clarrie_Hermes_Drive_Preliminary_Documentation.pdf

One interesting point is that someone in the area of this extension, a bus stop is to be constructed.

A newsletter in relation to the Sandford Street works can also be found at http://www.actpla.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/17548/Sandford_St_Extension_Newsletter.pdf

Bus 400

It's not really a new road opening, but the ACT has it's first variable message sign installed on Gungahlin Drive over the southbound lanes in between Sandford Street & Barton Highway.

However in the last few weeks more streets have been opened up to the public in Casey & Bonner, with a eastern entrance into Forde nearing completion. This should mean a change of the 59 to better serve the residents of Forde.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 26, 2010, 11:10:46 PM
This should mean a change of the 59 to better serve the residents of Forde.

And avoid that painful intersection at Horse Park and Francis Forde!

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 26, 2010, 11:10:46 PM
It's not really a new road opening, but the ACT has it's first variable message sign installed on Gungahlin Drive over the southbound lanes in between Sandford Street & Barton Highway.

However in the last few weeks more streets have been opened up to the public in Casey & Bonner, with a eastern entrance into Forde nearing completion. This should mean a change of the 59 to better serve the residents of Forde.
Great news on the variable message sign! Now I wonder who is going to control it?

Irisbus Rider

AFAIK, this will also be associated with a variable speed sign, but I'm not 100% on that.
Yeah, I kept forgetting to post this information, after seeing an ACT Gov't development sign on this matter about 3 months ago.

Bus 400

A new pedestrian crossing has been installed on Flemington Road near the Gungahlin bound EPIC stop. While it will help EPIC patrons, during large events such as the Canberra Show I see traffic issues coming up. I don't see why temporary lights couldn't of been installed (Commonwealth Avenue for example).