ACT Bus - Get on Board
Website | Forum | Gallery | Fleet Wiki | Retired Employees Club | Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook

Author Topic: Stage 2 (City to Woden) Route  (Read 194 times)

Offline Buzz Killington

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
Stage 2 (City to Woden) Route
« on: October 29, 2016, 03:04:48 PM »
An interesting article in the CT today proposing an alternative to the presumed Adelaide Ave / Yarra Glen route for stage two: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment/light-rail-to-woden-which-way-should-it-run-20161028-gscu33.html

Some interesting ideas but I suspect some parts of it would be far too difficult (Macgregor and Kent Sts).

Thoughts?

Offline King of Buses

• Contributor
  • Gallifrey Falls No More
Re: Stage 2 Route
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 03:20:08 PM »
I can see why they'd want to send it through Deakin in order to (potentially) attract more patronage. Though, it does sacrifice the 'direct' part of the service. That'd probably mean the existing Blue Rapid corridor as run by buses between the City and Woden would need to remain for direct travel. Though, sending LR stage 2 via Wisdom/Kent St *could* work as a direct service provided it didn't do much (or anything) else.

Online Bus 503

• Environment First
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 09:18:50 PM »
I think the Woden stage two route needs to be direct and faster than buses. The corridor is right there and is designed specifically for light rail to go through it so it seems a bit weird to go and detour around that.
I would have thought City to the Airport would make a good stage two, or City to Belconnen because there needs to be a solution (especially during peak hours) to the constant overcrowding on the Blue Rapids - there is constant demand for buses throughout the day to get to the City from Belconnen or Belconnen to the City, so I would've thought that or the Airport would be a sensible stage two.

Offline Busfanatic101

• Mission: To ride & photograph every ACTION bus
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 08:20:39 AM »
I would also think that sticking to the main route, perhaps with a set of lights for pedestrians and a stop installed around the deakin shops area, would be best.

However, I am also not in favour of Woden-City as stage 2, especially if they are thinking to replace rapids through that area. That is perhaps the smoothest, fastest, and most efficiently operated rapid stretch there is at the moment, and I think buses are running it fine. It also saves people either losing frequency or changing modes up to twice (to get from Tuggers-Woden, Tuggers-city, tuggers to belco (perhaps a supplement all day parkway route), Woden to belco) unless they keep running the 300s at the same frequency as current which would almost defeat the purpose of the tram.

Why they have to take out a middle chunk of the 300s, let alone do an incomplete job on each of the rapid routes without finishing any properly I don't understand. Even though I live on the southside, I would rather they did stage 2 to fyshwick to complete the 200 series before touching on the others- otherwise, again, people who currently get 1 bus would be changing at gungahlin and at civic and there are enough people on the 200s at the moment. This would get the trams across to the south as well over the kings ave bridge.

Offline ajw373

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 08:01:24 PM »
I think the Woden stage two route needs to be direct and faster than buses. The corridor is right there and is designed specifically for light rail to go through it so it seems a bit weird to go and detour around that.
I would have thought City to the Airport would make a good stage two, or City to Belconnen because there needs to be a solution (especially during peak hours) to the constant overcrowding on the Blue Rapids - there is constant demand for buses throughout the day to get to the City from Belconnen or Belconnen to the City, so I would've thought that or the Airport would be a sensible stage two.

Wouldn't have worked politically being another northside route, and likewise a route to Kingston, which would be more sensible than the airport would have only went through the inner city electorate, which is also leans more left than right. Though tend to agree from providing a solution to a problem Belconnen would have made more sense with more enroute places to serve, which is where lightrail (the European version rather than US) excels.

ACT Bus Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 08:01:24 PM »