Author Topic: Infrastructure Discussion  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Bus 503

Infrastructure Discussion
« on: December 25, 2015, 08:47:48 PM »
Advertisement
This topic is designed for posts relating to transport infrastructure which don't fit in other threads.

To start the discussion, which terminii have fully operational driver facilities?

Offline The Love Guru

• Elder stateman
  • ACTION 0305, perfection in public transport
Re: Infrastructure Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 09:02:43 PM »
There are only 7 full facility meal areas on the network with only 6 used for meal breaks.

Offline Bus 503

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 07:23:29 AM »
Can anyone tell me if this was a peg? It's located on Batchelor Street Torrens:

Offline Sylvan Loves Buses

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 11:17:31 AM »
To me, that looks like one of those bike-way-trails pegs, like the ones you see all around Tuggeranong Valley's Cycleways and dirt tracks. So I don't think so, but as I haven't had the resources to know this stuff as long as I could have, someone else more knowledgable might want to answer that. But because of the colour and the size, it looks more like the cycle trail sign.

[Edit]I just looked it up myself, and it's right off the Athllon Drive cycleway, so yeah, I think it's most likely one of the cycle track pegs.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:20:09 AM by Sylvan Loves Buses »

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 02:31:44 AM »
I was just on my way to sleep when I remembered something. I was actually on my way home today, down Athllon drive's cycleway, and I remembered your post, I made a quick detour to have a look at this peg that you were refering to. I had a look, and it appears to be some sort of pole. A solid metal, white painted pole. So I it's not a peg, unless ACTION used metal poles as pegs too, back in the day.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 02:32:08 AM by Sylvan Loves Buses »

Offline Bus 503

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 08:39:26 PM »
If a terminus is not in use anymore for proper route services, (e.g Torrens) are the driver facilities still kept in working order, or are they just forgotten about?

Also:

Why are there still wooden pegs around? Matina Street is one example - did they just forget to take away the wooden pegs, or are they still there for another reason?

Offline 743

• Contributor
  • Oh George, you've hurt Astro's feelings.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 10:23:01 PM »
Don't know about your first question, but with the pegs - most of the remaining pegs are no longer serviced by school or regular route services. When the NXTBUS blades were installed, only active stops were targeted - so any disused stops, such as Matina St, would have been overlooked.

There is at least one exception - Watson Shops on Knox St is still an active stop and received a NXTBUS blade, but the peg is still in place - possibly because it's some distance from the blade post, it was probably just missed on the day.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 10:57:46 PM »
There is at least one exception - Watson Shops on Knox St is still an active stop and received a NXTBUS blade, but the peg is still in place - possibly because it's some distance from the blade post, it was probably just missed on the day.

That I suppose is the same reason for the Narrabundah Terminus peg too?

Offline 743

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 07:34:41 AM »
The peg opposite Narrabundah Terminus is not used by any school or route service, so wouldn't have been looked at during NXTBUS blade installation - like the pegs further along Matina St.

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 12:38:44 PM »
Just in case no one else has noticed, Tuggeranong's Lollipop sign has been taken down, and a new green wheel one now sits outside of the fences in more clear view.

Offline The Love Guru

• Elder stateman
  • ACTION 0305, perfection in public transport
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 05:51:19 PM »
Just in case no one else has noticed, Tuggeranong's Lollipop sign has been taken down, and a new green wheel one now sits outside of the fences in more clear view.

Only about a year ago

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 08:49:37 PM »
Oh lol, has it been that long already? could've sworn I still saw the old one there a few months ago

Offline King of Buses

• Contributor
  • Gallifrey Falls No More!
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 09:35:41 PM »
Oh lol, has it been that long already? could've sworn I still saw the old one there a few months ago

The old signs were acquired by RATEC.

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 10:29:11 PM »
Yeah, I remember hearing them discussing it at one of the meetings I attended, man how time flies >.>

Offline Barry Drive

• Administrator
  • May contain traces of sarcasm
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 04:28:38 PM »
The Kate Crace layover might possibly move to The Valley Avenue (at some point), based on the almost full length concrete bus bay built on the east side of the road extension.

Offline 743

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 08:02:42 AM »
An update has been run to NXTBUS for the new school term. I'm on a 39 and three stops so far have new audio announcements, with more specific descriptions than the old 'vague' descriptions. For instance, 3240 "Downer" is now announced as "Melba St 2nd after Bradfield St". The text descriptions on the NXTBUS screen, however, have not been updated.

Offline King of Buses

• Contributor
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 12:24:01 PM »
An update has been run to NXTBUS for the new school term. I'm on a 39 and three stops so far have new audio announcements, with more specific descriptions than the old 'vague' descriptions. For instance, 3240 "Downer" is now announced as "Melba St 2nd after Bradfield St". The text descriptions on the NXTBUS screen, however, have not been updated.

A new update would explain why some of the (working*) NXTBUS Bus Station PIDs now show "London Cct/Eclipse" for routes like the 171 instead of just "Eclipse House" as of today. There are almost certainly other changes to other route descriptions on those signs but I rarely look at them these days anyway.

* i.e. Not Tuggeranong Bus Station at the moment.

Offline 743

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 06:03:11 PM »
http://www.cmd.act.gov.au/open_government/inform/act_government_media_releases/meegan-fitzharris-mla-media-releases/2016/bus-stops-becoming-more-accessible-across-canberra

Work on the above is underway. Multiple stops on Route 39 in Watson and Downer are currently being upgraded.

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »
Only saw a glance of it as the bus I was on passed by, but does anyone know what they were doing to the bus stop opposite the Woden Depot a little while ago? (I saw a crane, but not much else - moving too quickly)
Bus Stop 2651

Offline King of Buses

• Contributor
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 07:20:34 PM »
Only saw a glance of it as the bus I was on passed by, but does anyone know what they were doing to the bus stop opposite the Woden Depot a little while ago? (I saw a crane, but not much else - moving too quickly)
Bus Stop 2651

Swtiching the CAM shelter for an Adshel (which is currently ad-less, but has space for ads). Can't see why they bothered just for the extra two ad spaces on Athllon Dr...

Offline Barry Drive

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 04:27:42 PM »
The only one that I can think of that was removed recently was Flemington Road / Well Station Drive. In which case, AdShel may have insisted on a substitute location due to it having lost a high traffic advertising spot.

Correction: Flemington Road / Morisset Road
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:38:59 PM by Barry Drive »

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 07:12:09 PM »
I understand this use to be a terminus back in the day, presumably the 'old Spence terminus', would it still be called that if it were still in use?

This is 1 of 4 remaining birds eye drawings I have not yet done to include in the 32/33 terminus drawings, so I wanted to ask as I don't really know.

Offline triumph

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 11:39:51 PM »
Westfield Belconnen Bus Station has re-opened.
The main work has been a substantial repair/renewal of a structural joint which stretches right across the station at a point about one bus length back from Plat 2 departure end.
Most of this interchange has a void underneath,  thus the surface is on a structure, not natural ground. It seems that the structure was not designed to be stiff enough, consequently it seems that the flexing and impact from buses passing over had resulted in the joint breaking up (particularly near the edge of platform 1).
Also for several years the paving slabs on the pedestrian part of the platforms have been becoming loose which had resulted in rocking underfoot, sticking up to form a trip risk, and in wet weather squirting water up your leg when stepped on. Recently the slabs were relaid, but already the slabs near the joint had become loose again.  It will be interesting to see if the new joint works will prove durable and solve the loosening of pavers problem.
Incidentally, though an TC facility, I have been told that repair and maintenance of this sort is a Westfield responsibility.

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 09:34:33 AM »
I noticed that myself when I was up there some time ago waiting for a bus to kippax. I was standing in the middle of the platform, and whenever a bus passed me, it would make a loud thumping noise as it would go over the line in the road. The other side wasn't as bad, but it did seem a little odd to me at the time for something like that to be happening.
The one thing I forgot about the bus station and the reason for all this is cause it was build over the old bus lane.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 06:24:37 PM by Sylvan Loves Buses »

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 02:22:14 AM »
I've just been going through the list of how many possible terminii could be left that I could use and maybe add to the drawing game set. So far I've counted 18 more, but I may decide to not include half of them.

There's a couple I'm not sure about though, and a few I need to confirm are or were actual terminii.

The ones I am wondering about are: Kaleen, Ainslie, Duffy, Fisher and Hackett.
And I'm wondering if there was one located somewhere in Forrest back in the 1950-1980s time period. I remember the 83 or 84 use to run around Forrest, but I only ever caught it like 3 times to go to Fyshwick, but that's too long ago to remember seeing anything anyway. Same goes for Braddon too, as there's a old shelter around that looks similar to the ones in Ainslie and Forrest.

Offline Barry Drive

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 10:27:39 AM »
Take a look in the Gallery for some historical maps and timetables.

An "old shelter" doesn't = terminus. And I'm not aware of any in Braddon - but even if there were, it's an unlikely location for a terminus.

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 03:07:19 PM »
Was I day dreaming, or was the roof from the shelter of bus stop #4530 (Marcus Clarke St before Rimmer St) missing?

On a side note, Tuggeranong Interchange has had a PA system upgrade for those who have not noticed.

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 10:18:21 AM »
Noticed this the other day, anyone know what the XLR input above the trolley rack near platform 9 at Woden Interchange was used for?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:19:02 AM by Sylvan Loves Buses »

Offline Barry Drive

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 12:57:07 PM »
Not entirely sure what you're referring to, but I think it was a clock.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 09:37:09 PM »
I'll take a photo of it next time, see if it'll help.

I have a feeling it may have been some sort of PA system, considering XLR inputs are mostly used with microphones.

Offline triumph

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2017, 08:07:52 PM »
The right turn queueing lane from Lathlain St., Belconnen, into the Westfield Bus Station was painted as a bus lane today. In consequence S bound buses leaving the Cohen St. Bus Station stop diverted via Josephson, Luxton, and Lathlain Streets so as to enter Westfield Bus Station by a left turn from Lathlain St.. N bound buses leaving Westfield were not affected.

This seems a good move as inadvertent private right turn movements have occurred quite frequently.

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 06:51:21 AM »
has the old police station been knocked down yet, or is all that construction guff still there?

Offline triumph

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 11:46:51 PM »
has the old police station been knocked down yet, or is all that construction guff still there?

The Police Station has been demolished but the site frontages are surrounded by a hoarding. There appears to be no current activity.

Offline triumph

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2017, 01:29:00 PM »

Further to previous reply, I managed to find a small hole in the hoarding. The site was completely clear with a grassy surface and no sign of anything happening.

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2017, 01:10:50 AM »
Yeah, you can now see your buses coming from the Cohen station when standing at Westfield.
Brings back memories of how you could once upon a time see your bus coming at Tuggeranong Interchange...

What's going on with that interchange anyway? For the past 15 years or so, the threat of both Woden and Tuggeranong interchanges were to be demolished, but so far only pieces of Woden have been taken and nothing has happened to Tuggeranong. Is there any news about Tuggeranong being relocated yet, or do we keep waiting while the government spends all the tax payer dollars on the lightrail which is not even done yet?