CDC acquire Deane's

Started by 743, August 02, 2012, 03:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An interesting development in the local bus world - see attached media release. Yellow buses in Canberra mayhaps?

Irisbus Rider

Thanks for the info there. I'm definitely looking forward to CDC coming into the Canberra Region, hopefully they will shake-up services to and from Queanbeyan for the better.

The Love Guru

They will provide whatever the MoT or DoT tell them to. There is very little control left to operators these days.

The other thing i'm wondering, CDC with additional layers of management will have higher overhead costs. As it appears Deanes were experiencing financial difficulties, its hard to imagine that CDC could make a respectable profit.
Time will tell I guess.

smitho

Probably only a matter of time before they demand a slice of the ACT market....

Barry Drive

Not sure if they can demand anything, but by setting up locally they will be well-placed should any Canberra services be contracted out in the future.

It appears the sale is only of the Queanbeyan and Yass services, so the Deane's name and livery will live on in Eden. If CDC opt for a new livery, I hope they decide to revive the old Transborder scheme.

Sir Pompously

I can imagine yellow buses, a name similar to "Capitalbus" (I think LWF may be onto something here), and probably a Charterplus branch replacing Transborder and Deane's charter business.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: The Love Guru on August 02, 2012, 07:46:26 PM
They will provide whatever the MoT or DoT tell them to. There is very little control left to operators these days.
If the takeover in the Hunter Valley region is anything to go by, we should expect services to change, particularly route service, as Deanes' route services were a strong motivator in the purchase (according to the media release). However, if the Vic CDC takeover (Benders, etc) is anything to go by, expect very little to change (incl. livery). However, I can't help but feel that we may have a similar experience to that of the Hunter Valley region (total re-branding and route re-shuffle), only because the Deanes branding doesn't have that very strong reputation which Benders/Westrans had, and Transborder for that matter.....and look at dogs breakfast which became of that brand!
There's no doubt there is huge potential in the Queanbeyan area in the future, as it's a rapidly growing area, with Googong expected to come online next year, and Tralee in the works, this will add 10,000+ residents into the area. This creates massive route service opportunities, coupled with the potential revival of a reliable charter operator in the area, I can see why CDC are interested in this purchase. All they have to do now is play their cards right.

I also agree with Sir P, if the incoming brains trust of CDC are switched on, they will segregate the route and charter services in an attempt to revive the charter powerhouse that once was Transborder, and this can be done through CharterPlus IMHO. I will most definitely be watching this one with great interest!

The Love Guru

The hunter valley take over consisted of a lot of small operators (who had been taken over the Blue Ribbon) and there hadn't been much of a change for a long time. Plus the additional businesses that were purchased at the time made sense to redo everything.
With Deanes, i'm not convinced there is a lot that they can do. At present Deanes seem to do a reasonable job of it.
There would be some scope for CDC to operate more direct City services from Queanbeyan suburbs, but once again it would come down to funding from TNSW (Or whoever it is running the show now). With direct services into the ACT, i'm unsure of how funding would be effected.
The other thing i think that CDC should consider is attempting to get onto the MyWay network, as the ACT govt appears ready to allow Deanes access to ACT only travel. This could lead to CDC running a few services in the Queanbeyan direction that ACTION currently run.

I'm sure the privatisation debate will ignite once again, especially with a multinational in Queanbeyan, a likely change to a Liberal government and an upcoming EBA negotiation in June next year. Interesting times ahead that is for certain.

Busnerd

Wondering if they buy any new buses, will they have to be painted into TNSW?

ajw373

Quote from: Busnerd on August 06, 2012, 05:13:00 PM
Wondering if they buy any new buses, will they have to be painted into TNSW?

No because QBN and Yass are not on a TNSW contract.

Busnerd

All new contracts in the state should have it written into them, so when they re-sign it may be a requirement

ajw373

Quote from: Busnerd on August 09, 2012, 04:03:30 PM
All new contracts in the state should have it written into them, so when they re-sign it may be a requirement

But the operations in QBN are not part of the metro or outer metro contract area's which is where the livery is required.  And no discussions or rumours have come forth about any rural contracts requiring the livery.

Bus 400

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on August 03, 2012, 10:17:32 AM
It appears the sale is only of the Queanbeyan and Yass services, so the Deane's name and livery will live on in Eden.

According to a reply posted on the Deanes Transit Group Facebook page. The South Coast isn't included in the sale.

andrew.neumann.52

If the livery did change it would be fantastic if it was the Transborder livery as it looks classy and very simple colours of silver green and white. That has been around for nearly 60 years in the tegion.

Bus 400

Found this piece on the Deanes South Coast website:

Deane's affirms commitment to South Coast

Deane's Bus Lines South Coast owners Jamie and Anton Klemm have affirmed their strong commitment to the region in the wake of the sale of the Deane's Queenbeyan-based bus business.

The Deane family today announced the sale of Deane's Bus Lines Pty Ltd and Transborder Express to ComfrotDelGro Cabcharge Pty Ltd. Owned by Jamie's family, Deane's has been operating route, school and charter services in the Queanbeyan, Canberra and Yass areas since 1990.

Jamie and Anton, who bought Deane's South Coast based at Pambula in 2005, have told their 40 staff that the Queanbeyan sale would have no impact on the South Coast business.

"We are firm in our commitment to the South Coast and our business will remain a family-owned business in this region," Jamie said. "Since we bought Deane's South Coast we have expanded and grown and we now have two other affiliated businesses.

"These are SoulQuest Travel which we started in 2008 as a luxury coach charter tour company and have now expanded to be an all-encompassing travel agency, and a new professional car detailing business that we launched in July called SparQle. We are fully committed to our business on the South Coast."

Deane's South Coast has 28 buses which transport more than 1800 school students to 17 schools in Eden, Pambula, Merimbula and Bega and areas inbetween.

The business also runs an extensive route and demand-responsive timetabled service for the broader community which includes 33 timetabled mid-week routes and six on Saturdays. Deane's also provides buses and coaches for group charters and school excursions.

Jamie said the company was proud to continually improve its services and support the local community and businesses.

"Anton and I are proud to continue the family business and are strongly committed to providing employment, business opportunities and services to so many other families across this region," she said.

End of release
http://www.soulquesttravel.com.au/southcoast/news.html

Bidgee

Has it been approved yet? Finding nothing online whether it has been approved or not but going by the sightings topic, sounds as if it has.

smitho

Wondered if a name change may be in the pipeline - have noticed some Deane's buses running around minus 'Deanes' signage.....just a basic white livery.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: smitho on September 12, 2012, 11:00:50 PM
Wondered if a name change may be in the pipeline - have noticed some Deane's buses running around minus 'Deanes' signage.....just a basic white livery.

They have a bunch of loan vehicles from other CDC operators I believe.

I saw an ancient Westbus in Woden yesterday morning. Looked older that anything Deane's has

Bus 400

There is now a piece on the Deanes Queanbeyan page:

Deane's Bus Lines joins the ComfortDelGro Cabcharge group

Deane's is pleased to announce that an agreement has been reached for ComfortDelGro Cabcharge to take over the local Deane's Bus Line Operations, ensuring the bus services will continue to serve the local community.

DTG will continue to operate Government contract routes, school bus and charter services in New South Wales and the ACT, as we have for nearly 25 years. DTG's existing fleet comprises of 97 buses operated out of two depots. DTG is based in Queanbeyan, which is a regional centre in the Southern Tablelands of New South Wales adjacent to the ACT.

Queanbeyan has witnessed strong population growth of over 70% in the last 15 years and bus service levels will improve as service standards are improved and population increases in the local area.

The acquisition of Deane's Bus Lines Pty Ltd and Transborder Express – both of which are part of Deane's Transit Group (DTG) – have further increased ComfortDelGro Cabcharge operations in the Australian land transport industry. The company is now Australia's largest Operator of private bus services and has many local bus operations in New South Wales and Victoria.

ComfortDelGro Cabcharge took control of the Bus Operations from Saturday 1 September 2012 and is continuing to operate the existing timetables and service levels.
http://www.deanesbuslines.com.au/queanbeyan/news.html

Barry Drive

Some (but not all) of Deane's Transit Group webpages now feature a "A ComfortDelGro Cabcharge company" footer.

But the CDC site makes no reference to Deane's at all.

Barry Drive

It's finally happened. "Deane's Buslines" has been replaced by "Q City Transit Pty Ltd" on the bus accreditation.

No more will I be able to refer to Deane's Buslines, unless it's a historical reference.