Network 2012

Started by Barry Drive, October 19, 2011, 04:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

Details of the 2012 changes have been released to drivers and should be available very soon on http://www.transport.act.gov.au

Highlights: 318 & 319 will be extended to Kippax between 700-1900; no other Belconnen suburban changes.

51 to divert through Casey; 58 through Crace. New route 55 to provide a loop service to Forde & Bonner.

80 to be streamlined: no more Causeway, Lithgow St or Isa St. 200 no longer service Railway or FFFM. Additional AM peak 200 services from Gung.

Route 2 to be split into 1 & 2: 2 (southern route) will terminate at Nat Museum - 3 will no longer service Museum.

Remember: these are proposals only at this stage. Feedback is sought, and final routes may change.

lukeo25

Here's hoping for a better weekend network

Bus 400

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on October 19, 2011, 04:45:58 PM
New route 55 to provide a loop service to Forde & Bonner.

Good to see a return of Route Number 55, I assume the 59 would just skip Forde.

CNG

so here comes a shift spill, can't wait to ride the 318 and 319 all the way from lanyon to kippax

Barry Drive

Network 2012 details now available on Transport for Canberra website, or view the article on ACT Bus.

One additional change: route 58 to be re-routed through Franklin (finally).

Quote from: lukeo25 on October 19, 2011, 05:13:08 PM
Here's hoping for a better weekend network
Still no word on what (if any) weekend changes are planned.

Busnerd

Can't believe they STILL haven't fixed the weekend network. What is wrong with what they USED to do and just have suburban service operating at an hourly frequency from 6am saturdays to midnight and 7am sundays to 9pm?? It has been 5 years now with the terrible weekend network, when I still lived down there I usually preferred to be driven places on weekends as much as possible due to the terrible frequencies of loop services.

However so far this new WEEKDAY network looks good and all the changes seem fairly positive. Were any of those changes part of the work done by Chris and Martin and the rest of the ACT BUS Network?

Barry Drive

Quote from: Busnerd on October 20, 2011, 03:18:44 PM
However so far this new WEEKDAY network looks good and all the changes seem fairly positive. Were any of those changes part of the work done by Chris and Martin and the rest of the ACT BUS Network?
There are elements of our suggestions in these changes, but it's impossible to say whether they considered our changes or not. But just so everyone's clear: the proposed route through Bonner bears no resemblance to what was suggested by us - our route suggestion actually travelled to where people lived.

lukeo25

They have f***** me over by changing the 80 by cutting out wiluna st and that part of the route, getting to and from work when it gets introduced (if it goes through!)

jaredmill

yesterday i saw a bus driver reading the Network 2012 information booklet and new route map too

Bus 400

It may of taken 6 years, but my suggestion of extending the 4 (then 35/36) to Woden has finally been put in (all going well).

Wasn't Wiluna Street skipped when the 4 became the Route 80 & then reinstated a few years later?

I am also trying to work out where the 1 & 7 will start there run from City West? Will it be from this new stop on Marcus Clarke Street? Or within City West?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Love Guru

Quote from: Bus 400 on October 20, 2011, 08:32:04 PM
It may of taken 6 years, but my suggestion of extending the 4 (then 35/36) to Woden has finally been put in (all going well).

Wasn't Wiluna Street skipped when the 4 became the Route 80 & then reinstated a few years later?

I am also trying to work out where the 1 & 7 will start there run from City West? Will it be from this new stop on Marcus Clarke Street? Or within City West?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Extending the 4 to Woden is a serious waste of resources. Patronage is very low on the route 4, almost to the point where it should be combined with the 6 and bring the frequency of that run up to half hourly. The map isn't overly clear, but it appears it will go to geoscience, then back track to Goyder St before going to Woden which would be silly. That said, extending the Intertown to Kippax without connecting to buses at Kippax is a complete waste of time. They could have taken those resources and made the 43 half hourly and at least provided something worthwhile.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Bus 400 on October 20, 2011, 08:32:04 PM
No reason to do this, with appropriate timetabling, Woden bound pax could be able to change on Goyder St for a 5, even then, the bus will still be near empty between Goyder St and Woden.

Quote from: Chris_Guru on October 20, 2011, 08:39:55 PMThat said, extending the Intertown to Kippax without connecting to buses at Kippax is a complete waste of time. They could have taken those resources and made the 43 half hourly and at least provided something worthwhile.
Making the 43 half-hourly will fall below the increase proposed in this network, hence not improving it.

Buses may connect at Kippax. Connecting buses aren't ACTION's strong point, proof of that is the shambles that is the 50 after 7pm. 22min transfer time? what a fkn joke.

For passengers travelling from Holt to Belconnen, it will be quicker to travel to Kippax and transfer to a 318/319 with even a 10 min connection time. With the 44 from Holt Shops to Cohen St being 30 mins exactly (in the off-peak), a 5 min trip to Kippax, 10 min waiting time and 10 min journey to Cohen St on a 318/319 is still only 25 mins, 5 mins quicker. Similar (but not the same) for the 16 and the 17. Not to mention, this will be a boon for commuters in the immediate (medium density) Kippax area, who will be enticed to walk to Kippax to join the *direct* service to the City/Woden. Not to mention, on top of all of this, Kippax is a large retail precinct, and this will make it easier for pax to access the area. I see a lot of benefits of this extension, a small amount of extra running time with a lot of benefit. Bring it on!

I'm also really pleased to see the City West/ANU Precinct changes, extending the Gold line into City West/ANU is a great move, and making better use of the layover facilities of City West is also welcome.

CNG

with the intertown to kippax I believe they should have just made a 317 and 316 to save the bus going all the way on to lanyon i wounder why they choose the 318 and 319, also what month is the network expected to be running in 2012?

Buzz Killington

Common sense would tell you that adding a 316 and 317 means they would need to find a significant number of extra resources (buses and drivers) that they just don't have. 318 and 319 obviously selected as it is a ten minute addition to those routes which disadvantages nobody. amending the 312, 313, 314 or 315 means adding time to those routes and disadvantaging existing commuters on those routes.

As stated in both links provided by ACTbusspotter above, the network is expected to start in May.

Snorzac

Also having the 318/9 extend to Kippax give a High frequency direct link to Kippax which a 316/317 would not do. Personally I don't think the idea is properly executed, but it is a step in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King of Buses

Is there any news upon xpressos for Gungahlin?

Barry Drive

Quote from: King of Buses on October 21, 2011, 11:06:54 AM
Is there any news upon xpressos for Gungahlin?
Everything that has been made public has been included in the article. No mention of Xpressos suggests no change, as does no mention of weekend services.

BTW, extending 318/319 was something I suggested in 2009 (and possibly earlier as well). It is a first step only: next step is to convince them that Kippax should be a hub for West Belconnen.

belcodriver

The long established tradition of changing the services through Nicholls and Ngunawal with every network change continues. Bad luck to the people who used to get the 52 to GMP or Civic you now have to get the 59 and go through Amaroo as well.

Kramden

Quote from: belcodriver on October 21, 2011, 08:59:23 PM
The long established tradition of changing the services through Nicholls and Ngunawal with every network change continues. Bad luck to the people who used to get the 52 to GMP or Civic you now have to get the 59 and go through Amaroo as well.

Er, am I missing something here?  I didn't see any mention that the 52 will be altered from its current route.

From a driver's perspective I'm glad they're pissing off Cash and Christina Stead from route 58.  It's a slow haul along there.  It just doesn't seem like it was a road meant for buses.

manhinli

New user here, from Gungahlin, commuting mostly around the northern half of Canberra. :)

Quote from: Kramden on October 21, 2011, 10:10:16 PM
From a driver's perspective I'm glad they're pissing off Cash and Christina Stead from route 58.  It's a slow haul along there.  It just doesn't seem like it was a road meant for buses.

Every time I take the 58 I wonder how drivers feel handling buses on such narrow roads/bends. The roundabout on Christina Stead St has tyre marks on it from all the buses that go by. I like to avoid taking the 58 sometimes because I get disoriented/headachy with the frequent turning around Harrison.

I personally would like something like a 950 on weekends, though probably it's not going to have a decent number of people riding it until the rest of Harrison/Franklin bordering on Flemington Road gets developed. I currently have two choices for weekend buses to City, 956 or 958 which both take some fair distance to get to.

smitho

Didn't notice anything in the draft 2012 Network changes about the operation of buses through ANU Exchange - wonder what kind of timeframe they have in mind for that. ...you'd think it'd be commencement of first term in 2012.

belcodriver

Er, am I missing something here?  I didn't see any mention that the 52 will be altered from its current route.

Look at the map that has the changes to the 51 & 59 on it. The 59 is shown going the same way through Nicholls and Ngunawal as the 52 does now and there is no 52 on it. Gungahlin's got 4 extra suburbs now, a net gain in bus routes wouldn't be unreasonable.

smitho

Extending the truncated #2 to Canberra Hospital  from Woden Interchange would possibly be a better use of resources than the proposed lengthy extension to #4...

Barry Drive

Quote from: belcodriver on October 21, 2011, 11:15:57 PM
Look at the map that has the changes to the 51 & 59 on it. The 59 is shown going the same way through Nicholls and Ngunawal as the 52 does now and there is no 52 on it.
I understand your confusion, but the map I'm looking at has a 52 label at Gungahlin Dr/Amagula Ave - it's the same colour as 59 because it is mostly unchanged and not the main subject of the map.

Kramden

Quote from: manhinli on October 21, 2011, 10:34:45 PM
New user here, from Gungahlin, commuting mostly around the northern half of Canberra. :)

Every time I take the 58 I wonder how drivers feel handling buses on such narrow roads/bends. The roundabout on Christina Stead St has tyre marks on it from all the buses that go by. I like to avoid taking the 58 sometimes because I get disoriented/headachy with the frequent turning around Harrison.

Hi Manhinli, welcome aboard.  I don't see that Christina Stead is any better or worse than going through other tight spots in the Network, say, the ANU, in terms of manoeuvrability.  It's completely do-able but you can't get up any pace due to the twists, turns and narrowness.  Also there's the issue of passenger comfort which, as you point out, causes you problems on CS St.

And thinking of that street, I found it a useful exercise (while in training) to be aware that the last 90 degree bend, Gungahlin bound, needs to be negotiated very wide and slow – especially in a Scania.  Check for rubber on that kerb ol' mate.   I'll bet some others have come to grief there. 

Buzz Killington

Quote from: manhinli on October 21, 2011, 10:34:45 PM
I like to avoid taking the 58 sometimes because I get disoriented/headachy with the frequent turning around Harrison.

Welcome :) I found myself on a 52 yesterday and feeling slightly dizzy through Nicholls and Ngunnawal.. Those Gungahlin roads...

p_stampy

I have nothing to add, except that I'm glad the 318/9 is being extended!

smitho

Thinking back to the old 100 Link intertown services between Kippax/Belco and Woden, from my experience they were reasonably well patronised, even in off-peak, including stops between Kippax and Belconnen interchange and between Kippax and Woden. Was surprised when they gave them the chop.

belcodriver

My bad, I didn't notice the "52" on the map just saw the grey route and assumed it was all the 59.

I think a better way to do things would be:

51 not through Nicholls
52 do all of Nicholls and none of Ngunawal like it used to (2006-8?)
59 go down Amagula/Gurrang

Looking at the weekend suggestions in the other thread - particularly the 957 - I'm wondering whether one day the 55 and 57 could be joined into the one service. Of course, that would heavily depend on timetabling and connections at GMP, especially to/from Belconnen. You'd save on buses having to layover, it would just be like a glorified 39 loop all the way to Gungahlin and back.

Otherwise these changes don't seem too bad. My beloved 2 will become a beloved 1, but in my experience a lot of 2s completely empty passengers at the City and take on a fresh batch so I don't think through passengers will be inconvenienced. It's like when I used to catch the 5 from Dickson to Griffith when I first moved to Canberra - on most days I was the only one apart from the operator who stayed on in the City!

Snorzac

This is an email I have written to send to the public consultation for Network 2012. Any feedback would be appreciated:

QuoteHello,

As someone who is a frequent user of public transport around the ACT I would like to have my input and offer a few suggestions for your planned 2012 changes:

Belconnen:
Extension of the Blue Rapid is a step in the right direction however I don't believe if done the proposed way it would function 100%. Knowing Canberran's you need to provide a large time saving for them to entice them to change buses. Without a restructure of the West Belconnen network I do not believe this service will function to it's full capacity. You could possibly get extra patronage on this service by ensuring there are connections to the 16, 17 and 44 as the patrons on the latter end of these services may see the gain in time given by the Kippax Rapid link.

Gungahlin:
As a daily user of the Belconnen to Gungahlin corridor I am not impressed with the idea of having the 58 deviate off the current routing which is already pushing what could be classed as a 'Direct' service. As a solution to this I wish to propose that the 59 services Crace.

The Belconnen to Gungahlin corridor is currently very poorly serviced and something that needs to be addressed. I can offer two solutions:
-Extend the Red Rapid to Belconnen
-Extend the 57 to Belconnen thus providing a 20 minute frequency between the two centres. 

I also recommend that the 56 and 58 are removed from Baldwin Dr and resume the running of the current 51 from the William Slim/Chuculba timing point. Currently Baldwin Dr is a somewhat over serviced and under patronized area on the network, the College st area is well serviced and would not miss the two services an hour.

The route 55 from Gungahlin is a great concept as long as the connections are guaranteed every time.

Central Canberra:
The changes here are great! Taking the 3 out of the National Museum, the only advice I could offer here would be making sure the timings on the route 3 are tightened as they are currently way too loose and buses are consistently running early. 

Woden/Narrabundah Area:
In my personal opinion there is no reason for the route 4 to be extended to Woden, currently patronage is already very low and you would not find it hard to justify scrapping the route.

Airport Precinct:
The route 10 is currently not in need of more frequent services but for better hours of operation to the areas around the airport. Currently the last service to depart the City for Fairbairn is at 1630. This provide poor service to the residents of Fairbairn. A viable solution to this problem could be extending the route 9 from Campbell Park after hours thus providing service to these areas at a minimal cost.

The airport itself is in need of a government bus service. The current private service is expensive and runs at time when no one wants to be at the airport. If negotiations were to reach an agreement for ACTION to provide service to the airport I could recommend the following from providing service.

*To provide service to early flights, offer a service leaving direct to the airport from the City bus Interchange, offer this hourly until 7am.
*As the route 200 is currently under patronized to DFO split it into two runs, the 200 from Gungahlin to DFO and the 201 from Gungahlin to Airport, both running from Gungahlin to Russell Offices as per current running before the 201 goes direct to the airport from Russell.
*After the rapid stops operating the morning route could run hourly until last flight.

Weekends:
The weekend network is something that needs to be addressed, a great way to fix this would be using the network used over the 3 days of Christmas (without expressos) on Saturday and a cut down version of this on Sunday even if this is just as an interim measure until a proper weekend timetable can be implemented. 

Other Changes that could be made:
Currently in the afternoon peak there are a lot of short working 300 services operating from City to Belconnen whilst the 710 also operates from a different platform and is somewhat under patronized. Bringing the 710 onto platform 3 would allow you to scrap the short working 300s and provide a faster link for passenger travelling between exclusivly City Bus Interchange and the Belconnen Town Centre without having to cross the joke that is Northbourne Ave in peak hour.

Irisbus Rider

As I missed earlier, a suggestion to re-route the entry into Kippax to travel down Sthn X Dr >Moyes Cr > Kippax would be sensible, so the W Starke St/Sthn X Dr intersection is avoided. Plus, two extra stops would be services under this arragement.

As far as Baldwin Dr is concerned, you're forgetting why it travels down Baldwin Dr. College St. It's the vital link between Gungahlin and the UC/Radford/Fern Tree Business Park/Bruce CiT. Having said that, the Red Rapid needs to be extended to Belconnen, but this will occur in due course (2031 at the very latest!).

Snorzac

There is the 59 for College st and you could always send the 51 down there as well.

belcodriver

Bus 400

Before I forget, below was what I sent as a part of the Network 2012 Consultation:

Good Evening,
Below are a few suggestions in relation to the changes proposed in Network 2012.

GUNGAHLIN
Route 55
Firstly, is it known whether Handbury Street will be open by May 2012? If so may I suggest that this route is extended further up Amy Ackman Street on the trip to Bonner, then come back into Forde via Jessie on the trip in. Also rather then send the 55 via Djerrka Street in Bonner, may I suggest keeping the route to Essie Coffey Street to then turn left onto Roden Cutler Drive. This way you improve your catchment for residents between Essie Coffey Street & Mabo Boulevard. Also once this route gets back onto Mabo Boulevard, rather then turn left onto William Cooper Avenue, may I suggest that this route continues along Mabo Boulevard then turn left onto Mulligan's Flat Road & right into Jessie Street.

Route 51
It is possible to know when Plimsol Drive be finished? I ask this as another temporary suggestion for the 51 could be to send the 51 to turn left on Plimsoll Drive & then right onto Yeend Avenue to then continue along the normal 51, or atleast have the 51 do a loop into the area of Casey known as Springbank Rise. My long term suggestion for services to Casey would be new route 50. Route 50 could be as below:

Gungahlin Bus Station
R Gozzard Street
L Anthony Rolfe Avenue
C Mirrabei Drive
L Len Waters Street
R Burramurra Street
C Into Casey
Do a loop around the northern section of Casey & end up on Plimsoll Drive
L Overall Avenue
R Clarie Holmes Drive
C Kuringa Drive *Another option here is to run to Hall, with future proposal to run through Kinlyside.
L Owen Dixon Drive
R Gundaroo Road
C Belconnen Bus Stations

This route could start up in Network 2013 with more opening up as more of Casey is complete.

Route 58
I have a couple of options about the Crace deviation, my main point is for the 58 to not do this deviation & for the 56 & 58 to take the same route between Gungahlin Bus Station & the Belconnen Bus Stations. If these runs are timed to leave Belconnen & Gungahlin at 30 minute intervals, the route these two services take could become the Rapid connection between Gungahlin & Belconnen. While at the moment these services leave Belconnen close to each other & this potential connection is lost. My two route options for Crace are:

Option 1-Deviate the 56 from Kosciusko Avenue at Grampians Street to then do a loop around Crace & then return to Kosciusko Avenue via Grampians Street again.

Option 2-Send the 59 via the proposed 58 route through Crace.

Now option 1 lets you bring back the old 54 & make the 59 to just do a loop from Gungahlin-Amaroo-Gungahlin, while option 2 still sends the 59 which runs mainly empty from Gungahlin from Belconnen. Of course the 54/59 loop could extend to Belconnen during morning peak. This loop will work if the 56 & 58 rapid connection is timed properly.

Red Rapid
May I suggest the Route 50 is scrapped & replaced with short running 200 services that service all stops after 19:00. This makes way for my Route 50 proposal.

To finish off, may I suggest for future Network Proposals that changes planned as suburbs are grown are shown. This may help to reduce the number of submissions you receive. I am also curious myself as to what is the plan for future bus networks? For example would the 55 be extended to Jacka as it is built? Or if my Route 50 proposal under consideration all ready?

Weekend Routes.
As I suggestion could these services be streamlined to follow changes made to some weekday versions in Network 2008? A few suggestions are the 951/952 through Nicholls & the 956 through McKellar & the 921/922/923/924 through Woden Valley. This would make things easier on the public & wouldn't mean too many changes. But may I also suggest a review be done of weekend services, as there is never going to be the demand in Canberra for 7 day services, so these services are here to stay.

I hope my suggestions have helped you out a little bit, if not for Network 2012, but maybe for Network 2013?
Kind Regards,
                      Bus 400*

*I did use my real name in the email.

Buzz Killington

Bit of a mention of Parliamentary services in today's CT:

QuoteThe spokesman said that both the authority and the territory's bus network were making plans to boost the numbers of workers taking the bus to their jobs in the triangle.

''I understand also that ACTION are monitoring one of the bus routes through this area [route 6] to determine its effectiveness,'' he said.

''The NCA is planning on upgrading all the bus shelters in the Parliamentary Zone this year.''
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/senior-public-servants-to-lose-parking/2434428.aspx?storypage=0

smitho

I've noticed greater numbers of commuters using the Triangle-Woden interchange services over the past 3 months or so...still pretty modest though.

Barry Drive

There is a Canberra Times article which I am reluctant to post, given that it doesn't say anything new or anything that we don't already know, but the one highlight is this mention of Network 12:

QuoteMeanwhile, changes are proposed in May to West Belconnen, Gungahlin, Fyshwick and central Canberra.

(Paul Peters) said changes due in May this year would be finalised and published shortly.

Full article can be read here: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/govt-has-no-overall-strategy-on-buses-coe/2452507.aspx?storypage=0

smitho

Present indications suggest that the new network coulkd commence after the winter school holidays.

Bus 400

Details of Network 2012 will be announced at 18:30 by Katy Gallagher. Expected start date is 28 May 2012.

Barry Drive

The deletion of route 58 through Franklin suggests that route 57 will now operate for extended hours (beyond 6pm). Maybe. If not, Franklin residents will have been well and truly boned by this change.

As an aside, I have noticed when doing 58 or 958 that there are *some* passengers who catch the bus from Belconnen to travel to Franklin (Hoskins St). The change in route 58 will not doubt put a spanner into their travel patterns - they'll now have to change buses at Gungahlin (or travel via City).

route56

i see Hall is still screwed.

Are the 9** numbers still weekend only ? Will there still be inconsistent weekend/weekday route numbering ?

Bus 400

Those who have special weekend only services would feel different. But by my idea of at least aligning the 51/52 with the 951/952 it means those residents only have 2 routes to remember & can't get on the wrong *52 service. Next will be to have the 921-924 follow there weekday counterparts, same for the 39/939 Watson loop. Then the 913/914 becoming the 918/919 & 912/915 becoming 911/912, etc.

Hall residents have Deanes Transit Group. ACTION might return if my Route 50 becomes reality (deviate via/terminate at Hall) or once Kinlyside develops.

Barry Drive

Quote from: route56 on March 22, 2012, 09:59:01 PM
Are the 9** numbers still weekend only ?
Yes

QuoteWill there still be inconsistent weekend/weekday route numbering ?
An inevitable consequence of having a separate weekend network is that there will be inconsistencies with route numbers and routes direction between the two networks. The modified Gungahlin weekend services will remove some of them (for instance, routes 52 and 952 will be identical from Belconnen to Ngunnawal, but then 952 will cover parts of weekday routes 59, 58 & 57 as well as parts not covered during weekdays [Shoalhaven Av]).

A better question would be "has ACTION reduced inconsistencies as much as is possible?". The answer to that would be "no".

Bus 400

Another change I noticed today was:

Departure times for services from Woden to Weston Creek (Routes 25/28 and Routes 26/27) have been reworked to provide passengers with 30 minute frequency.

As mentioned on the ACT Bus article (http://actbus.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1074:network-2012-changes-announced&catid=10:news&Itemid=57) only the 25 & 26 were to be streamlined. Also mention of changes for the 28 to help out Orana School has also been removed.

smitho

Watch for new Xpresso 770...from southern Tuggeranong.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: smitho on April 06, 2012, 11:10:43 PM
Watch for new Xpresso 770...from southern Tuggeranong.

Just a renumbered 170 though isn't it?

smitho

Not sure; we haven't received the network 12  lefts and rights yet.

Barry Drive

Quote from: ACTION websiteSouthbound services Route 737 and 770 (formerly called 170) will depart from Platform 10 at City Bus Station.

smitho

Understand that the driver shift pick scheduled for next month (to launch Network 12) will only be a short term affair..... and that another shift spill and new pick will take place after about 3 months into the new network. Not sure of reason why.

belcodriver

Quote from: smitho on April 14, 2012, 01:11:59 AM
Understand that the driver shift pick scheduled for next month (to launch Network 12) will only be a short term affair..... and that another shift spill and new pick will take place after about 3 months into the new network. Not sure of reason why.

Because according to the union the new shifts don't meet the agreed upon 10 minute break between the 2nd and 3rd hour. So they said the shifts would be accepted but only if they were redone within 3 months.

smitho

Ah, that explains wht TWU rep visited Tuggy muster room the other morning.

Bus 400

The bus stop blades have been installed in Casey, Bonner & 1 of the new set of stops in Forde (the others were installed for the school services. The only bus stop infrastructure in Crace is one painted bay on Abena Avenue.

Of note is that there are no stops installed on Francis Forde Boulevard. That includes the new section being serviced. Also whoever installed the blades in Bonner didn't realize that a one way loop services Bonner.

belcodriver

Quote from: smitho on April 15, 2012, 08:29:35 AM
Ah, that explains wht TWU rep visited Tuggy muster room the other morning.

The reason they provisionally accepted them is because of the larger than required number of drivers who will be promoted to full time. It will only be 33% part time once the new network starts.

smitho

Quote from: belcodriver on April 15, 2012, 09:45:00 PM
The reason they provisionally accepted them is because of the larger than required number of drivers who will be promoted to full time. It will only be 33% part time once the new network starts.

Yes, similar number (35% PT) reported around Tuggy Depot.

Quote from: Bus 400 on April 15, 2012, 03:06:09 PM
Also whoever installed the blades in Bonner didn't realize that a one way loop services Bonner.

That is probably a contingency for future services. Much easier to put the extra stops in now, before the suburb is even finished, rather than wait for residents to get used to extra parking and then complain when the stops need to go in. Future buses from Jacka might go west to east through Bonner and Forde, although there could be school services from Amaroo doing a similar thing sooner.

Bus 400

I suppose it would be the same case for the 81/981's CSIRO stop on Clunies Ross Street. With a stop on both sides of the road & both were moved closer to Black Mountain for the Clunies Ross Street/Barry Drive Intersection Improvements.

Barry Drive

Don't forget: School Services might use those stops. The one on Clunies Ross St is used by a School Run. Maybe some School Services will go through Bonner after 28 May.

New Bus Stops have been installed in Fyshwick (Newcastle St, Barrier St), but the new stop on Gladstone St (near Cessnock St) has not had anything installed even though it shows up on the BDC.

smitho

I've uised the Clunies Ross southbound stop regularly for the Civic-North Canberra-Orana School run....and the northbound stop for Discovery Centre (Tourist run and school charters).

Barry Drive

Quote from: smitho on April 14, 2012, 01:11:59 AM
... and that another shift spill and new pick will take place after about 3 months into the new network. Not sure of reason why.
Since School Holiday shifts are not being picked in this round, next shift pick might take place in another month! (Forgot to ask what was happening with that.)

Barry Drive

Irisbus Rider in particular may be interested to learn that the evening connections with Route 50 at Gungahlin have been vastly improved in Network 2012.

Route 50 arrives at GMP from City:  21 & 51

Departures from Kate Crace - Route 51: 24; Route 52: 54; Route 55: 53; Route 59: 33

Connections to City are a bit longer though.

Arrivals at Kate Crace - Route 51: 19; Route 52: 49; Route 55: 28; Route 59: 48

Route 50 departures from GMP: 00 & 30

Irisbus Rider

Thanks for the info there, that's great news. Also, all of the turnarounds at Gungahlin are also 5 mins. Great to see they are acknowledging the 50's purpose.

Bus 400

Bus Stop Update
I checked out the reinstation of the bus service in Macquarie & no additional bus stops have been installed. This means, so far, the only bus stop to be services by the 73/74 is a School Service Only stop on Fulton Street.

Bus 400

I know someone may be upset over this, but do Xpresso services still terminate at Electricity House (aka 221 London Circuit)? As while doing a quick flick through the 720 & 729 timetable they still feature the 'e' next to City (or blank in the case of the 729), but no longer feature an explanation for what the 'e' means.

For those who aren't aware, this was what was mentioned in the Network 2009 timetables (I'm unsure about older versions (e Bus continues to ActewAGL House).

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 06, 2012, 07:12:55 PM
I know someone may be upset over this, but do Xpresso services still terminate at Electricity House (aka 221 London Circuit)? As while doing a quick flick through the 720 & 729 timetable they still feature the 'e' next to City (or blank in the case of the 729), but no longer feature an explanation for what the 'e' means.

For those who aren't aware, this was what was mentioned in the Network 2009 timetables (I'm unsure about older versions (e Bus continues to ActewAGL House).

AFAIK, they are supposed to terminate there, although this stop is now often referred to as 'The Waldorf' stop, referring to the accommodation complex in the former Wales Centre building abutting The Boulevarde.

Bus 400

Selected school services will also change on 28 May 2012, details can be found at https://www.action.act.gov.au/recent_school_bus_changes.html

manhinli

Network '12 transit feed is up... but ACTION didn't consider the fact that there may be a couple of days of no data until May 28 because they didn't leave in the Network '10 data until the changeover.

I'm slowly trawling through the new data for times for my common routes (yes I know the timetables will be published on Monday, but I can't wait!)

Route 200's 10 minute peak frequency from Gungahlin is definitely welcomed by all, but I noticed that Route 200 also has part runs starting at Stop #6170 (Flemington/Wizard Southbound) at 7:57am and 8:08am. Is this really happening? I'd finally be able to hop onto a 200 and have a seat to sit on! :-P

Bus 400

They would be making that data available so that smart phone applications can make the relevant changes & have app updates available on the 28 May.

Also the old data is now irrelevant as no one would bother to make a new app with data that expires in 2 weeks.

manhinli

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 11, 2012, 07:26:28 PM
Also the old data is now irrelevant as no one would bother to make a new app with data that expires in 2 weeks.
It's not just apps, but Google Transit uses the data too - so it won't work for people using it (e.g. from mobile or ACTION's website). This happened a couple weeks back when ACTION forgot that calendar data ended prematurely, so Transit directions didn't work for a week until Google fetched the new copy.

I realise that it would increase the size of the feed during the transition, but I would appreciate it if they did it for the user experience! Just think of the poor casual commuters!

But seriously, I favour that over missing transit data any day.

Bus 400

May I suggest you try a journey in Google Maps from Tuggeranong to Mabo Boulevard Bonner on the 28/05/12 10:34.

If that doesn't work change the date to the 25/05/12.

For me no trip exists for the 28/05/12.

smitho

Full page ACTION advert in this week's 'CHRONICLE' outlining Network 12..........

Barry Drive

Yes, there will be some AM route 200s commencing at Wizard/Flemington and terminating at City.

Bus 400

Quote from: smitho on May 11, 2012, 11:33:43 PM
Full page ACTION advert in this week's 'CHRONICLE' outlining Network 12..........

A pamphlet currently available on selected buses is also going around with the exact same information.

Both fail to mention the 958 into Crace & the 952 now services the City (via just about 80% of the Gungahlin suburbs)

manhinli

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 11, 2012, 10:30:04 PM
For me no trip exists for the 28/05/12.
That's because you can't have data on something you don't know!

As soon as Google fetches the new feed next week, then all you can find are directions for May 28 and beyond, which basically shuts off Transit to most people in the meantime, because no one searches for bus times 2 weeks ahead.

Barry Drive

Quote from: manhinli on May 12, 2012, 10:45:41 AM
As soon as Google fetches the new feed next week, then all you can find are directions for May 28 and beyond, which basically shuts off Transit to most people in the meantime, because no one searches for bus times 2 weeks ahead.
Possibly a stupid question, but why does Google need to fetch a new feed next week? The version they have is valid until 27 May - as proven by Bus400's experiments.

To get a better idea of how it works, I downloaded a copy of the feed. Having a look at the Bus Stops file, I notice the new bus stops are defined as follows (stop number,,stop name,,GPS reference):

6302,,"Mulligans Flat Rd after Mabo Bvd",, -35.165035, 149.141418,,,0
6304,,"Overall Av after Shedden St",, -35.171051, 149.094696,,,0
6305,,"Overall Av after Horse Park Dr",, -35.171299, 149.095734,,,0
6306,,"Overall Av after Sudradjat St",, -35.172424, 149.091782,,,0
6307,,"Overall Av after John Crawford Cr",, -35.172562, 149.091873,,,0
6308,,"Overall Av after Powley St",, -35.175945, 149.090683,,,0
6309,,"Overall Av  After Tipett St",, -35.174358, 149.091095,,,0
6311,,"David Walsh after Horse Park Dr",, -35.176418, 149.146103,,,0
6313,,"Zakharov Av after Alice Berry St",, -35.171978, 149.148422,,,0
6315,,"Francis Forde after Tom Nicholas Cr",, -35.171162, 149.143082,,,0
6317,,"Amy Ackman St after Paquita St",, -35.163113, 149.149094,,,0
6319,,"Hanbbury St before Mulligans Flat Rd",, -35.159492, 149.150253,,,0
6321,,"Henry Willaims after Mabo Bvd",, -35.157562, 149.146652,,,0
6323,,"Essie Coffey St after Henry Williams",, -35.153828, 149.142578,,,0
6325,,"Essie Coffey St before Mumshirl St",, -35.154125, 149.138626,,,0
6327,,"Roden Cutler Dr after Essie Coffey St",, -35.155167, 149.134903,,,0
6329,,"Mobourne St after Roden Cutler Dr",, -35.160358, 149.136246,,,0
6331,,"Mabo Bvd Bonner Shops",, -35.162155, 149.139511,,,0
6332,,"Langtree Cr after Durong St",, -35.199821, 149.111023,,,0
6333,,"Langtree Cr after Nudurr Dr",, -35.199997, 149.111130,,,0
6334,,"Abena Av after Chance St",, -35.200642, 149.104126,,,0
6335,,"Abena Av after Taplow St",, -35.200768, 149.104095,,,0

Handbury Way is spelled incorrectly; Francis Forde, Zakharov and David Walsh appear to have bus stops only on one side of the road despite route 55/955 operating in both directions. I'm sure there's many more mistakes!)

Bus 400

I ended up downloading the latest Transit Feed zip file this morning, within those files is an end date of 6-8 July (depending on whether its a Friday/Saturday/Sunday). Which is when the School Holidays start, this data expires then as the current feed doesn't mention the 81, which of course doesn't run during school term.

Barry Drive

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on March 22, 2012, 02:40:01 PM
The deletion of route 58 through Franklin suggests that route 57 will now operate for extended hours (beyond 6pm). Maybe. If not, Franklin residents will have been well and truly boned by this change.
Having downloaded and analysed the new timetable from the Transit Feed, the conclusion: Frankin residents have been BONED! The last 57 northbound departs City at 18:55; the last southbound leaves GMP at 18:37. Yet new route 55 continues hourly until 22:53. Why?

manhinli

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on May 12, 2012, 11:40:53 AM
Possibly a stupid question, but why does Google need to fetch a new feed next week? The version they have is valid until 27 May - as proven by Bus400's experiments.

That's how it works:
Google accepts new feeds every day.

Feeds provided by Friday will be refreshed on Google Maps by the following Friday.

When you provide a new feed, it must have service as of the posting date.

For example, if your posting date is February 6, 2009, your feed should include service from February 6 (or earlier) to February 19, and new service data from February 20. This is because we completely replace the previous data with the new data set.

If your feed only includes service from February 20, when we completely replace your previous data on Friday 2/13, you won't have service on Google Maps for February 13 to February 19.

Bus 400

There is also this on that page:
You should also provide an update as soon as you know the schedule change, but no later than 2 weeks before the new schedule takes effect.

Barry Drive

So it looks like they went 1 week too early. If I understand correctly, they will have data for this week but then nothing next week?

Looks like ACTION didn't read the instructions (like me).

manhinli

If anyone wants to view the transit feed without needing to trawl through the CSV, use ScheduleViewer. Runs a server instance which you can view in your web browser.

http://code.google.com/p/googletransitdatafeed/wiki/ScheduleViewer

Barry Drive

Some Gungahlin weekend timings:

Route 951 departs City :40 arrives GMP :02
Route 952 departs City :10 arrives GMP :44
Route 956 departs City :38 arrives GMP :16 (ish)

Route 958 depart Belco :07 arrives GMP :39

Route 955 departs GMP :21 returns GMP :51
Route 956 departs GMP to City :57
Route 958 departs GMP to Belco :50  [so no connection with arriving Route 956]

Bus 400

Another forgotten change is that the 939 will do the same loop as the 39 around Watson.

Also now the 55/955 will service the bus stop on Mulligan's Flat Road, it will continue down Mabo Boulevard & turn left onto Mulligan's Flat Road & right onto Jessie Street.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on May 12, 2012, 11:40:53 AM
Handbury Way is spelled incorrectly

So was Henry Williams St

Barry Drive

More details from the Transit Feed - this time Kippax Blue Rapid (318 & 319):

Services departing from Kippax will travel the sensible way: Hardwick, Flack, Moyes and onto Southern Cross Dr. First departure is at exactly 0700 and last departure at 1900. Between about 0800 and 1630, departures are exactly 15 minutes apart.

Going the other way, services into Kippax enter from Starke St and Luke St. First arrival at Kippax is 0704; last arrival is 1938. Services run as a 10/20 minute frequency rather than an even 15 minute headway.

belcodriver

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on May 12, 2012, 03:17:24 PM
Some Gungahlin weekend timings:

Route 951 departs City :40 arrives GMP :02
Route 952 departs City :10 arrives GMP :44
Route 956 departs City :38 arrives GMP :16 (ish)

Awesome, so with the change to the 958 the 5 buses that head up Northbourne depart from the City at:

:09 - 932
:10 - 952
:28 - 980
:38 - 956
:40 - 951

Assuming there is no change to the timing of the 932 and 980.

Barry Drive

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on May 12, 2012, 12:19:32 AM
Yes, there will be some AM route 200s commencing at Wizard/Flemington and terminating at City.
There are two services as listed on the ACTION HTML timetable page, but not appearing on the PDF timetable. Going by the "S" code (despite no legend on page), these will operate only during School Term. They most likely will be low floor buses, even though there is no code shown denoting that.

I still don't get why the last 200 from GMP at 1900 is not a route 50, since it terminates in City.

manhinli

Errors I've picked up at the moment:

• [10] listed as either:

• not going past Catalina Dr (Costco) in transit feed
    • going past it on maps
  • Weekday full map:

• [3] indicated on the same route path as [2] near Royal Australian Mint
    • [7] around National Museum of Australia isn't displayed as such and also does not turn around as indicated

Minor ones:

• Half runs 7:57am, 8:08am from Flemington/Wizard to City not listed on the 200 published timetable (it is present on web page, though marked with unclear 'S')
  • A couple of non-existent stop bubbles (e.g. Flemington/Lysaght) on maps

I like the new QR codes on the bottom of the front pages of the published timetables, leading to the ACTION website with minimal effort. Maybe they should have QR codes for each timetable at the MyWay centres - scan and have a page float up... reduces need for paper.

manhinli

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on May 14, 2012, 03:52:22 PM
There are two services as listed on the ACTION HTML timetable page, but not appearing on the PDF timetable. Going by the "S" code (despite no legend on page), these will operate only during School Term. They most likely will be low floor buses, even though there is no code shown denoting that.

I still don't get why the last 200 from GMP at 1900 is not a route 50, since it terminates in City.
Darn - beat me to it.

My guess is that it just rounds off the "7am-7pm" thing. Not that many people actually take the 50 at 7pm from GMP anyway.

Snorzac

The 313 has a reduced peak hour frequency from every 20min to every 30min

Buzz Killington

There were a heap of errors when the Network 12 section went live this morning - 955 was missing, none of the Xpresso PDFs worked, the file sizes for the PDF files weren't listed, the network maps were the 2010 versions, the links for 55 and 770 didn't work (although if you looked at the link format and typed it in manually it did, and the page title had Network 10...

Bus 400

I wonder wether the Transit Feed is incorrect or the 939 timetable us?

Barry Drive

Bus400, you will find that the 939 PDF has been updated and its route direction now matches the Transit Feed route.

Manhinli, I've also noticed the Route 10 discrepancy (and reported it on twitter). At this stage my enquiries have not resulted in an answer about which is the correct route.

Another newly-found discrepancy is the 952: Transit Feed shows route travelling along Cooyong / Northbourne but the timetable map shows Mort / Girrahween / Northbourne (which is the opposite problem that the 958 currently has).

belcodriver, weekend Northbourne Ave routes 932 & 980 have new timings. City departure times will be:

952 - :10
932 - :13
956 - :38
951 - :40
980 - :47

And all weekend routes are marked as being wheelchair accessible.

The Love Guru

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on May 14, 2012, 05:55:48 PM
Bus400, you will find that the 939 PDF has been updated and its route direction now matches the Transit Feed route.

Manhinli, I've also noticed the Route 10 discrepancy (and reported it on twitter). At this stage my enquiries have not resulted in an answer about which is the correct route.

Another newly-found discrepancy is the 952: Transit Feed shows route travelling along Cooyong / Northbourne but the timetable map shows Mort / Girrahween / Northbourne (which is the opposite problem that the 958 currently has).

belcodriver, weekend Northbourne Ave routes 932 & 980 have new timings. City departure times will be:

952 - :10
932 - :13
956 - :38
951 - :40
980 - :47

And all weekend routes are marked as being wheelchair accessible.

Always nice when you can have 5 services an hour and still end up with 2 x 20min+ gaps without a service

Bus 400

After downloading timetables my biggest hate is how some timetables have been combined. They appeared to group routes on there destination, an example is the 720/729/732/770 that all start in different areas, but end up in the City. Another example is the 737/757/786 which all end up out at Fairbairn. That is rather then grouping runs based on their suburban sections like the 60 & 62 both service Kambah & the 25/28 & 26/27 with each pair servicing there respective halves of Weston Creek.

Buzz Killington

If anyone finds any serious service deficiencies let us know, will try to get articles up on the site.

Barry Drive

Quote from: manhinli on May 14, 2012, 04:00:29 PM
Half runs 7:57am, 8:08am from Flemington/Wizard to City not listed on the 200 published timetable (it is present on web page, though marked with unclear 'S')
I wonder if the absence from the printed timetable is due to these runs being non-permanent? Perhaps ACTION are trialling them - and if they don't attract enough patronage, or don't help with reducing crowding on full-length 200s, then they might be withdrawn or else re-scheduled to a different time.

CNG

their is also a 312 and a 315 that are not easy access allocated that is due to it being on shift stamped pr3

Snorzac

Just like to point out a minor error in the 705 timetable, see if you can find it

Irisbus Rider

A couple of deficiencies I have picked up.
318/18 - Departurers at Lanyon N/Bound:
5:45pm
5:51pm
7:11pm

Blue Rapid Departures from Cohen St BS S/Bound:
5:05pm
5:09pm
5:20pm
5:22pm
5:24pm
5:26pm
5:33pm
Not to mention, I also found many 9 min gaps between services on the Blue Rapid during the off-peak. The frequencies are an utter mess.

3 Arrivals in City N/Bound:
7:44am
8:25am
41 min gap in the AM Peak

3 Arrivals in the City S/Bound
8:37am
9:23am
46 min gap in the AM Peak

In adition, I've been going through routes individually to assess if the total number of trips has decreased or increased, and I've got some interesting findings (/ indicates an unchanged number on the direction):
2: -1 Dick-Wod
      / Wod-Dick
3: +1 Belc-Wod
       / Wod-Belc
4: +2 Wod-City
       / City-Wod
5: +2 Wod-City
     +2 City-Wod
6: +2 Dick-Wod
      / Wod-Dick
7: +3 City-Belc
    +3 Belc-City
8: +2 Dick-City
     -1 City-Dick
9: /
10: -2 Belc-FP
      / FP-Belc
11: /
12: /
13: /
14: /
15: /
16: -1 Belc-Kip
       / Kip-Belc
17: /
18: +1 Lan-Kip
      / Kip-Lan
19: /

I was surprised by the number of services.

Bus 400

Mayor McCheese had a picture of Bus 408 with a Network 12 side advertisement.

Posters are also popping up at selected bus stops & bus stations.

Irisbus Rider

Another sizeable gap:
28 arrivals at Woden (AM Peak):
7:19am
8:12am

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on May 14, 2012, 09:56:16 PM
If anyone finds any serious service deficiencies let us know, will try to get articles up on the site.

An error in the combined Xpresso Timetable which includes the 729...route map shows the 729 going via Woden rather than Parkway & Parkes Way

Quote from: smitho on May 16, 2012, 08:42:05 PM
An error in the combined Xpresso Timetable which includes the 729...route map shows the 729 going via Woden rather than Parkway & Parkes Way

No it doesn't.

I just got an ad on Facebook for the new network!

smitho

Quote from: 743 on May 16, 2012, 09:49:32 PM
No it doesn't.

Yes, it does..look at the sketch map on the cover, NOT the route map.

Quote from: smitho on May 17, 2012, 12:38:29 AM
Yes, it does..look at the sketch map on the cover, NOT the route map.
It still doesn't. You can follow each of the four services correctly on that stick map if you think about it. The line that juts out to Woden would only represent the 770 coming down from Monash. The 729 veers diagonally down to the left and directly to the City from Weston Creek.

Yes, of course the travelling public aren't going to think about it, but stick maps aren't designed to be that technical. The descriptions on the back cover and full map are what people really look at.

CNG

when r school holiday shifts going to be released?

Barry Drive

Quote from: Mayor McCheese on May 16, 2012, 12:00:09 AM
Just like to point out a minor error in the 705 timetable, see if you can find it
And once that error was mentioned on twitter, it quickly got fixed. I wonder whether they will fix the (obvious) errors when they are not pointed out.

Irisbus Rider

A continued analysis (where = means unchanged number of services)

21-24: =
25: =
26: =
27: +1 (Cool-Wod)
       +1 (Wod-Cool)
28: =
30: =
31: =
39: +2 (City-Wat-City)
43: =
44: -1 (Kip-Belc)
45: =
50: -1 (Gung-City)
51: =
(earlier Gung-City extensions)
52: =
55: +30
56: =
57: =
58: =
(earlier Gung-Belc extensions)
59: +1 (Gung-Belc)
       -2 (Belc-Gung)
60-66: =
67: -1 (Wod-Tugg)
71, 73-77: =
(an interesting note, the 75, 76, 77 joined together form what looks to be one shift, novel idea)
80: -1 (Wod-City)
81: =
82: +1 (City-BC)
88: =

A couple of observations, there seem to be many 40 min gaps in peak hour on many different routes, which is a worry. But the number of extra services are just astounding, good to see efficiency has been improved.

Bus 400

ACTION have been listening to requests by the public for a particular service to have an easy access bus. On new shifts some of these runs are mentioned that they must be an accessible bus.

Barry Drive

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on May 12, 2012, 02:54:55 PM
If I understand correctly, they will have data for this week but then nothing next week?
Google Transit still working and picking up "old" routes/timetables. But will it refresh on Monday?

Bus 400

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on May 22, 2012, 03:56:48 PM
Google Transit still working and picking up "old" routes/timetables. But will it refresh on Monday?

ACTION have updated there page to say Google Transit won't update until Friday 1 June.

Bus 400

Selected destinations displays have been altered for Network 2012.
*On change is that loop services now display each suburb one at a time (e.g. 55 GUNGAHLIN/55 FORDE/55 BONNER).
*Woden is now clearer on the destination screens.
*The 951 only shows City/Belconnen via Casey. The 958 shows "Gungahlin/Belconnen via Crace.
*The words "Red Paid" have now gone from the 200 destination display.
*More work has gone into destinations on the "Green Fleet" with (so far) the Renault's only showing the terminating destination on the front.
*Route 28 now shows "Woden via Duffy" on the front. Route 27 shows "Woden via Fisher"
*Route 26 now shows "Chapman via Cooleman Court". Thus loosing the destination "Weston Creek Terminus" also forgetting the fact the 26 terminates in Duffy.

That is the only changes I've noted so far, but I have 2 days to get the scoop.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 26, 2012, 12:04:14 AM
*Route 26 now shows "Chapman via Cooleman Court". Thus loosing the destination "Weston Creek Terminus" also forgetting the fact the 26 terminates in Duffy.
Very happy to see the "Weston Creek Terminus" destination description go.

(A) 50 lines on the blackboard please, Bus400: "Only one O in lose/losing/loser"

(B) Route 26 does not terminate in Duffy. The terminus is South of Hindmarsh Dr and West of Darwinia Tce, which puts it in Chapman. (Feel free to check a map if you don't believe me.)

smitho

To be consistent, they should replace Cooleman Court and revert to "Weston Centre", just as they've got rid of other commercial nomenclature such as "Lanyon Marketplace" and "Gungahlin Marketplace". Cooleman Court is not a location name.

"DFO" has now become "DFO Fyshwick" in the Hanover system, a reasonable compromise.

smitho

"New" bus stops on Routes 3 & 7:-

Marcus Clarke St south: Both routes northbound: Bus stop opposite the School of Music is now marked with a yellow blade sign; this is a long established 'bus stop' judging by the road markings.

It may have been used by the old Canberra Hospital* route in the dim dark days past.  (Yours truly has been known to use it for layover purposes because of its proximity to a coffee lounge & toilets).

Liversidge St northbound: Around the back of the AFSA...marked with a blade; no road markings or landing pad.

Liversidge St southbound: Near Theatre 3 & School of Art, close to Ellery/Liversidge intersection.

Redundant bus stop on Ellery has not been recommissioned (possibly dating back to Canberra Hospital route service),

* Canberra (Community) Hospital at Acton - where the National Museum is now located.

manhinli

ACTION and/or Google stuffed up handling the new feed in a way I didn't expect... There goes the smooth transition.

(I'm not sure if my expectation of public service organisations would be deemed entirely realistic)

Stops around my area with the tall orange bollards have been updated, probably done in the last day or so. Walked by and saw some curious or confused travellers looking at Weekend side of one at Kate Crace / Hibberson Southbound. Went around to my stop (#6170) and sure enough the peak-time, school-term only 200 to City is there. Hope it stays.

I've actually seen a bunch of different Red Rapid destination displays in the last week or so including:

• "Red Rapid / Gungahlin via City, Limited Stops (scrolling)" <--> "Red Rapid / Limited Stops" <--> "Gungahlin / via City"
    I have no idea why there was unnecessary duplication.

• "Gungahlin / via. Barton" <--> " / via. City"

• "Fyshwick DFO / via. City" <--> " / via. Russell" <--> " / via. Barton"
    The text for Fyshwick DFO is too narrow and hard to read.

Bus 400

It is ACTION's first time at having to update the Google Transit feed so they get a bit of slack.

Quote from: manhinli on May 26, 2012, 10:25:57 PM

• "Gungahlin / via. Barton" <--> " / via. City"
  • "Fyshwick DFO / via. City" <--> " / via. Russell" <--> " / via. Barton"
    The text for Fyshwick DFO is too narrow and hard to read.

These two will be staying, but the Fyshwick DFO font size is no different to any other font where scrolling is involved. 

Barry Drive

Quote from: smitho on May 26, 2012, 06:19:26 PM
Marcus Clarke St south: Both routes northbound: Bus stop opposite the School of Music is now marked with a yellow blade sign; this is a long established 'bus stop' judging by the road markings.

It may have been used by the old Canberra Hospital route in the dim dark days past.
Did some quick research. The "old" Canberra Hospital route 27 (later 300) travelled via London Circuit, Edinburgh Ave, Lawson Cres, Lennox Crossing. (It was one of a few routes which took 10 minutes from Interchange to Terminus, resulting in a full round trip taking 25 minutes.)

The Marcus Clarke St stop was previously (last?) used by Peak service 435 which went from Belconnen to Barton via City West (but not to City Interchange).

lukeo25

Since ACTION buses Network 12 is coming into force tomorrow I deciced I would try my luck in getting the old timetable posters/maps from Woden Interchange, I then asked the people who where replacing them could I get them they said this "they are being taken away to be safely recycled". Later on whilist waiting for the bus to the city I saw one of the people throw them in bin, after doing my business in Belconnen I decided to check the bins around the interchange to see if they did "dispose" of them, did they them all in the bin yes!!! I now have all the timetables/maps from Woden (except the big maps and timetables from the main large displays).

manhinli

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 27, 2012, 12:38:09 AM
These two will be staying, but the Fyshwick DFO font size is no different to any other font where scrolling is involved.
I should have put in that the narrow font was used on the flip-dot displays. The LED displays are fine.

Took the 8.08am special 200 run to City this morning. A reasonable number of passengers did hop on considering the fact that the 10 minute intervals now pick people up a lot more frequently. About 6 from the start and maximum along the trip was about 25 to 30. Considering that today was particularly light (traffic and passenger wise) we arrived 5 minutes earlier than scheduled.

3 people at the end didn't realise that it terminated at City - the driver did tell *some* people, but not all, and the flip-dot desto list (forgot which bus #) wasn't updated so still said "Fyshwick DFO". They just need one that says "City 200" like that of the limited 300 runs. If it's a trial, then a slip of paper would suffice.

Bonnerbus

So I have some questions you guys might be able to answer for me.

I use the 200 in the morning. The 8am 200 was packed this morning still despite the 10 minute departure gap. I assume that over time the stats might make it clear that a large bus is required on this route. However, why would the special 200s start at Mitchell? Not a large number of people get on there so it seems a bit pointless to me. The stops directly after GMP would make much greater use of a bus that hasnt filled up already. I am guessing someone is going to use those getting on at Northbourne as an answer, however Northbourne has more than enough busses to make up for those getting on along there.

Next question - I get extremely frustrated by the people who get on the 200 without a MyWay card or dont know how to use them. Wouldnt the 200 be a good choice to have as a card only bus route (like many in Sydney) considering the number of other routes that go to the City from Gungahlin?

Lastly, why would we add more stops to the 200? Wouldnt it make sense to reduce the number or stops or introduce an actual express route from Gungahlin to the City?

Cheers!

Snorzac

1. The additional 200 services do not start in Mitchell they start in the City.
2. Totally agree with you, I suggest emailing ACTION with your idea.
3. I have no answer.

manhinli

Quote from: Bonnerbus on May 28, 2012, 04:44:35 PM
I use the 200 in the morning. The 8am 200 was packed this morning still despite the 10 minute departure gap. I assume that over time the stats might make it clear that a large bus is required on this route.
My belief? The whole selling of the Red Rapid as an express route has made some people think that they should only catch the 200 even though the 51, 52, 59 run to pretty much the same schedule (roughly less than 5 minutes later, at City). They could maybe have the upcoming new artics run on the peak services as well...?

I had an idea a couple weeks back but it requires a fair bit of integrated infrastructure and respect for proper timing points.
At major stations/interchanges you have a machine which you tap on to, select your destination and required arrival time and it displays which bus you should catch, depending on the load of the upcoming bus and frequency on a first-tap-first-served basis. If you follow through with the recommendation, you get a further x% off bus fares, psychologically motivating people for a better distribution of the load.

However, why would the special 200s start at Mitchell?
They don't. The special runs start at Flemington/Wizard (my bus stop :-P) - but it's not shown on the webpage for some reason.

Wouldnt the 200 be a good choice to have as a card only bus route (like many in Sydney) considering the number of other routes that go to the City from Gungahlin?
Prepay could work if it's during peak time only (casual off-peaks don't always have a card.)

Lastly, why would we add more stops to the 200? Wouldnt it make sense to reduce the number or stops or introduce an actual express route from Gungahlin to the City?
Some of them like Wells Station Road didn't have too many people, so I guess that wouldn't affect efficiency too much. Others like London Circuit I wonder about... Like really? Having more buses stop and clog London Circuit which is a 5 minute walk from City doesn't seem right.

And an express route from Gungahlin to City? If it runs through Northbourne you can pretty much forget about any trip time savings. It might be able to run down Phillip Ave, Majura, Limestone like the 757, but I don't think that'll be any faster.

Buzz Killington

Snorzac

As I said when that sign was pointed out to me...what is right with that sign?

Also

route56

Bugger me - 952 actually follows the 52 route! Has this been OK'd by the TWU ?

Buzz Killington

So this comment in the Canberra Times has me puzzled:

QuoteCraig Dann, 19, was also less than pleased with his bus routes being extended to Kippax.

The 318 and 319 routes will now run between Kippax, Belconnen, Civic, Woden, and Tuggeranong.

''It used to go to Belconnen from Civic, now it also includes Kippax,'' he said.

''I don't want to have to go to Kippax as well.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/bus-fuss-as-commuters-go-the-extra-mile-20120528-1zfke.html#ixzz1wFLMQ9Ft

The only logical conclusion I can take from that is that he catches the bus north to Belconnen and thinks the bus goes to Kippax before Belconnen? Not too sure why the CT would even run the comment.

Barry Drive

What I think he meant was "when I'm riding along with (driver's name), if he/she's doing a 318 or 319 I don't want to have to all the way to Kippax with him/her."

Bus 400

On a side note, who else noticed a problem with 311's bike rack?

I'll be curious to see how Google goes with displaying the 55/955 considering the Handbury Way end of Forde along with a chunk of Essie Coffey St is missing off the base map. Perhaps they will have to update that too.

Barry Drive

Quote from: 743 on May 30, 2012, 10:16:55 PM
I'll be curious to see how Google goes with displaying the 55/955 considering the Handbury Way end of Forde along with a chunk of Essie Coffey St is missing off the base map. Perhaps they will have to update that too.
It looks like this

manhinli

Had someone come up from ACTION on City Platform 8 not too long ago take a survey.

Asked about how I knew about Network 12, stuff like "how did you first hear about it?", "do you follow us on Twitter?" etc.

Surprised they didn't ask about network satisfaction.

Bus 400

Quote from: manhinli on May 31, 2012, 04:22:24 PM
Had someone come up from ACTION on City Platform 8 not too long ago take a survey.

Asked about how I knew about Network 12, stuff like "how did you first hear about it?", "do you follow us on Twitter?" etc.

The survey can also be taken at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XJVPJ6N

Maxious

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 27, 2012, 12:38:09 AM
It is ACTION's first time at having to update the Google Transit feed so they get a bit of slack.

Today's release looks like it will go a lot better (you can look back at old updates @ http://www.gtfs-data-exchange.com/agency/action/)

It was signposted in the Network 13 update that there would be another update in early July. This now includes the School holiday timetables (including adding the 81 tourist route) taking us right through to Christmas before another release will be required.

Some stops have also been added: #2681 "Wormald St before Faulding St", #5076 "Temperley St after Schow Pl", #6078 "Hoskins St before Cash St", #6079 "Hoskins St before Oodgeroo", #6310 "David Walsh after Zakharov Av" and #6312 "Zakharov after Justice Kelly St"

King of Buses

Does the 7 when travelling to City/Belconnen from the National Museum of Australia and the 4 travelling to City/Woden actually go into the City West Bus station or do they just stop at a stop down near Farrell Pl or University Ave?

The Love Guru

Barry Drive

No stop on Marcus Clarke St - 4 5 & 7 heading towards Woden / Belconnen stop at City West. But route 3 doesn't. Don't ask why.

4 & 5 commence from Marcus Clarke / Farrell Pl, if that helps.

King of Buses

Cheers. ;D
I was planning a trip from the National Museum to Woden where i'd change from the 7 to the 4 at City West.
Thanks again. KOB

King of Buses

Has anybody seen the desto for the 319 on the Scania L94UB's (for northbound I think)?
It goes 319 to Kippax via Tuggeranong, 319 to Kippax via Woden, 318 to Kippax via City and then 319 to Kippax via Belconnen
(may not be this order but is similar)
It is really confusing if somebody is reading the desto @ Lanyon for those few seconds.

Bus 400

If you get a chance King Of Buses, watch the 924 or the 981 desto on a MAN, they do a similar thing.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on October 20, 2012, 07:58:20 AM
If you get a chance King Of Buses, watch the 924 or the 981 desto on a MAN, they do a similar thing.
... or any Hanover LED.

There is also one route where the number is not displayed on the front at all. One of the Tuggeranong weekend loops (913?). Bus400 will know.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: King of Buses on October 19, 2012, 03:09:50 PM
Has anybody seen the desto for the 319 on the Scania L94UB's (for northbound I think)?

Yeah, I've seen that one. Also noticed a 23 or 24 the other day on an L94UB where the front number disappeared on one scroll (Isaacs I think). Same deal with the 65 on the L94UBs

Bus 400

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on October 20, 2012, 11:35:47 AM
One of the Tuggeranong weekend loops (913?). Bus400 will know.

913 is correct.

smitho

I stand to be corrected, but it appears that the consolidated "Blue rapid" intertown bus timetable may have been phased out.

Although updated and issued at the start of Network 12, it has become a scarce item over the course of this year.

Barry Drive

It may be scarce, but copies can still be found at the Belconnen newsagent (now that MyWay centre has closed).

smitho

I'll keep an eye out for them.

The Combined Gold Line timetable seems scarce too; haven't seen any around since they were first issued.

May be they're on the ACTION timetable on-line site - must check.