Bus advertising discussion

Started by Busnerd, November 23, 2009, 06:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

Quote from: Metrobus on January 14, 2011, 12:17:16 PM
What?
Why would be the better question. Haven't those children suffered enough? (Haven't I suffered enough??!!)

The Love Guru

Are you talking about a certain christian college?

Sir Pompously

Oh God no! Not BCC, we have suffered through their advertising at shopping centre carparks and on buses, we do not need another dose.

Snorzac

NO! Please tell me they are not the same ads, they were horrible, surely they came up with something better this time.

400:D

Those ads were terrible I was ashamed of my school :D

Barry Drive

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on November 26, 2010, 08:03:43 PM
There's an ad for Canberra Motorcycle Centre on the back of buses which used to say "Wouldn't you rather be on a bike than on a bus?" The ad has now been modified with a sticker to say "... in a car?" Wonder what made them change it.
I've found the answer. The Bus Advertising contract (from the ACT Procurement website) includes a clause which does not allow any advertisement that "demeans or discourages the use of public transport" (among other things).

Buzz Killington

I noticed 947 has one of those "see the difference" ads on the rear. Guess they've paid up to have a few more of them done.

smitho

Noticed 322 with side advertising today, from window level downwards; first Scaia I'd seen with such advertsing. Also saw an Irisbus with similar format advertising.

In both cases, the buses look terrible - completely wrecks the flow of the corporate colour scheme.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: smitho on February 11, 2012, 11:40:10 PM
Noticed 322 with side advertising today, from window level downwards; first Scaia I'd seen with such advertsing. Also saw an Irisbus with similar format advertising.

In both cases, the buses look terrible - completely wrecks the flow of the corporate colour scheme.

They've had one side ad on the Irises/Scanias before - it was the pale green Monergy (sp?) one.

Merv319

Quote from: smitho on February 11, 2012, 11:40:10 PM
Also saw an Irisbus with similar format advertising.

One of them is 318.

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on February 12, 2012, 05:12:21 PM
They've had one side ad on the Irises/Scanias before - it was the pale green Monergy (sp?) one.

Ah, yes. I remember that one - wasn't around for very long (thankfully).

Barry Drive

They're finally replacing the King O'Malley exhibit ads - 102 now has a full sized rear ad for Watson Blinds and Awnings.

Also, 300 is sporting a large offside ad for City Strata (as seen on 392?) - is this first Irisbus side ad which covers windows?

Buzz Killington

Come back APN Outdoor, all is forgiven!

Bus 400

Bus 316 has the same side advertising.

Bus 400

So far Buses 404 & 408 have been spotted with the below advertisement for Network 2012, Bus 399 was having this advertisement applied to it today.

With Bus Advertising hanging around Tuggeranong Depot today, we may see a few new advertisements on Tuggeranong buses this week.

Barry Drive

Posted this on twitter yesterday. 305 now features a full-length side ad for TransACT. Ad looks great - can't say the same though about the bus! Pity there wasn't any advertising allowed when these buses were new.

In other advertising changes, it looks like the Fyshwick Markets and Canberra Motorcycle Centre contracts have expired as their spots are being taken by Canturf, Wokitup!, O'Connor Capital Chemist and ACU.

Buzz Killington

The full-rear ads for the Centenary on the L94UBs are very plain!

Buzz Killington

I seriously have to wonder about the contract with 'Bus Advertising'. I can only assume that they charge less for what they do than APN Outdoor used to, because why else would you sign a contract with them?

APN Outdoor may have been more expensive but have a think about the volume of advertisements. Under APN, essentially EVERY Renault had advertisements on every side of the bus. Now a solid percentage of them are ad-less and that's lost revenue.

It would seem a lot of revenue is being missed out on. APN can obviously bring those 'national' campaigns to Canberra. Since BA has had the contract, we've had very few of those and an awful lot of awful local campaigns.  Interior advertising has all but disappeared too - most Renaults used to be full of ads from front to back on both sides.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Buzz Killington on February 08, 2013, 06:30:45 PM
Interior advertising has all but disappeared too - most Renaults used to be full of ads from front to back on both sides.
Internal ads for Palace Electric cinema have started to appear in the MANs (as well as ads on the back windows).

But yeah, national advertisers are sadly lacking. Subway is the only one I can think of (and those ads would probably be paid for by the local franchisees).

Bus 400

Telstra ads are starting to appear on the rear of some buses.

Buzz Killington

The green NBN ones? Saw a few on some MANs today.

Bus 400

Correct, only saw they were for the NBN. I don't think an ad is that good if you have to be up close to know what it is about. Most ad's you see on the buses you know straight away what they are specially advertising & then you walk up to it for more information.

Buzz Killington

Just like many of the local ad campaigns - busy, cramped, no clear message

Buzz Killington

Spotted an MAN during the week which had two ads on the left hand side - a Centenary one just before the rear door, and a Subway one almost at the end of the bus. Think it was 445.

Must be the first time they've stuck two different advertisers on one side of the bus for a long time.

Barry Drive

Look out for a full-back ad on 457. Not yet sure who's paying for it: the airport group or ACTION.

Meanwhile, the nightrider ad has been removed from 451.

No AOA changes yet. 508 and the 3 darts are still wrapped.

Barry Drive

401 also has the ad for the Airport Business Parks.

There's also a new ad on the back of 307, but couldn't see what it was for.

Buzz Killington

There's a megaside on 958 for Savvy schoolwear.

The Love Guru

There are a whole bunch of buses with the airport ad on them. Shame the ad doesn't mention why the bus doesn't service the airport itself!

Barry Drive

The mysterious ad on 307, 308 and at least one CNG Scania is for Gold's Gym. A full side ad for Hog's Breath Cafe has appeared on 311.

smitho

Quote from: The Love Guru on January 23, 2014, 09:19:24 AM
There are a whole bunch of buses with the airport ad on them. Shame the ad doesn't mention why the bus doesn't service the airport itself!

Nor does it say who operates these services!

Barry Drive

Some recent advertising changes:

new off-side ad for Supagas on 335 (I think it's new)
new full off-side ad for Hog's Breath Café added to 316
iiNet ads removed from back of 116 & side of 305
Masterton Homes side ads removed from 911 & 912; back ads also likely to have gone
Centenary of Canberra full-back ad on 117 has gone; expect those on others to have also gone
new full-back ad for Finite XL added to 407
Subway ads have started to appear on near-side of MANs

Buzz Killington

Are the 'mobile tax returns - call bill' rear ads new, or have I just purged them from my memory?

smitho

Masterton Homes BIG side advert for its Heysen Street display house remains on Tuggy training bus 860.  By coincidence, saw the training bus doing a S/R 404 service to Orana School on Friday morning and being driven just metres away from Heysen St.

(The former display house is now a private residence and has been significantly altered from the image appearing on ACTION's buses....for example, now has a 2nd storey).

Barry Drive

Quote from: Buzz Killington on February 23, 2014, 12:12:11 AM
Are the 'mobile tax returns - call bill' rear ads new, or have I just purged them from my memory?
One remains on 367. Not sure about any others.

Buzz Killington

108 now has an ad on the rear window. It's still in the Floriade livery.

Barry Drive

Has anyone else realised that, besides large format ads, the "orange" fleet is almost entirely ad-free on the sides? The Drink or Drive campaign may be the only small side ads left.

Buzz Killington

Bus Advertising was bought out by Go Transit late last year - http://www.busadvertising.com.au/_blog/The_Bus_Blog/post/go-transit-announces-massive-expansion/

Maybe they can attract some more advertisers. The Renaults look pretty shabby without advertising, particularly the ones with the orange or blue vinyl stickers covering up the paint damage.

Bus 400

Could this be why we've seen a big jump in AOA's in Canberra?

Barry Drive

Is this the new trend in advertising? 395 now features large-scale ads on all 3 sides, for 3 different advertisers. (The Tradies Club is now joining the clubs ad war.)

King of Buses

521 now adorns a Maccas ad (for its monopoly thing) on the door-side around the upsweep of orange. It does cover windows too. First Scania artic for this sort of advertising? (I know 508 has an AOA and 525 has a drawing on the back).

Buzz Killington

Yep, no 'standard' adverts on any of the new artics before. Just the AOAs on 508 and the dream bus contest winner.

King of Buses

Quote from: King of Buses on September 15, 2014, 11:34:12 AM
521 now adorns a Maccas ad (for its monopoly thing) on the door-side around the upsweep of orange. It does cover windows too. First Scania artic for this sort of advertising? (I know 508 has an AOA and 525 has a drawing on the back).

Add 520, 522, 526 as well as a couple of STAG's (i think one was 479...). Probably more though. Interesting to see artic advertising coming back (it was inevitable though to be honest!)

Barry Drive

Quote from: King of Buses on September 15, 2014, 11:34:12 AM
521 now adorns a Maccas ad (for its monopoly thing) on the door-side around the upsweep of orange.
A cynic could suggest that the ads have been placed on artics to ensure they are being seen by school kids. But I would never suggest such a thing.

Also think these are the first side ads on the Scania 14.5s

smitho

With the ACT Govt's efforts to discourage the consumption of junk foods in schools, makes you wonder whether these Maccas advertising plugs on ACTION buses are sending out an inconsistent message.

Barry Drive

The McDonalds ads do not breach the rules and therefore the Government / ACTION has no power to restrict or remove them. I am more concerned about alcohol and gambling advertising than questionable food advertising.

smitho

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on September 19, 2014, 11:15:35 AM
The McDonalds ads do not breach the rules and therefore the Government / ACTION has no power to restrict or remove them. I am more concerned about alcohol and gambling advertising than questionable food advertising.

Agree with you that junk food ads don't breach any rules, but as owner and operator of the buses, I'd be surprised if the government didn't have any sanction over the content of adverts that appear on its buses.

Bus 400

There is one rule, no political advertisement. Otherwise you would have to check the contract for any other rules.

Lachie

Most of the STAGs have the maccas monopoly ad, as all the STAGs I saw today had them which included: 470, 473, 479, 481 and more.

Busfanatic101

QuoteMost of the STAGs have the maccas monopoly ad, as all the STAGs I saw today had them which included: 470, 473, 479, 481 and more.
The #s I managed to get out of all the Macca's Monopoly ads i've seen so far are 466, 467, 482, 485, 488.

469 is the only 1 which I have recorded without this ad so far, it didn't have it when I was on it this afternoon.

Snorzac

I got 469 yesterday and I'm 99.99999999% sure it had the ad.