Fare Evasion Campaign

Started by Busfanatic101, February 03, 2017, 09:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busfanatic101

I don't remember exactly when they first started the Fare Evasion Campaign. I think it was around when nxtbus came in, when they put blue posters for the campaign in the timetable slots instead of timetables in the City bus station bus shelters. Ads for this are contained within the 1 September 2014 network books at least, so was in place by then. While it did mention transport officers could check whether you had paid the correct fare, I had never encountered checks in well over 1000 trips I have taken since then.

The recent media release suggested to me they would be more serious this time around, with a commencement date and a 'will check' rather than 'can check'.

Today, I did see groups of transport officers at Woden boarding with blue handheld devices and blue fare evasion pamphlets onto a number of buses and going around to different passengers, so it seems as though it is actually happening now.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yes, and it's about time too. Although they have done it in the past, they haven't really done it as much as they probably should've.

I was actually on the first bus they checked so it came to a surprise to me too. I did actually ask one of them for a copy of the pamphlet, but he said they only had a limited supply - for the offenders only.

The Love Guru

You should have shown them some of your posts on here Sylvan, guaranteed to offend normality and they might have just given you a pamphlet.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

aidenh37

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on February 03, 2017, 11:15:10 PM
Yes, and it's about time too. Although they have done it in the past, they haven't really done it as much as they probably should've.

I was actually on the first bus they checked so it came to a surprise to me too. I did actually ask one of them for a copy of the pamphlet, but he said they only had a limited supply - for the offenders only.
Now they just need to monitor school services too. Espacially high schools where students are in fact able to pay, but cheat instead.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

triumph

Most definitely, increased supervision of fare evasion is needed. I have been using ACTION services since the end of 1998 and have had my 'ticket' checked just once (a few years ago).

By contrast, I spent a month in Adelaide last year and used the train to get about a few times. My ticket and concession entitlement was checked no less than 3 times! One would be brave to risk it.

I have noticed it is common for children/young folk (and occasionally adults) boarding ACTION buses to spin a story to the driver and be waved aboard. Perhaps, after the Queensland circumstance, it is policy not to refuse boarding. Some years ago, 2 drivers discussed, in my hearing, the issue of passengers seeking boarding without ticket resources. One remarked that he would not refuse boarding as he wasn't about to invite an assault. Again proper inspection by a team can avoid this occupational safety issue. It was noticeable in Adelaide that police or security staff were involved in 2 of the 3 inspections.

It will be interesting to see if, in my future travels, my card will actually be inspected.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on February 03, 2017, 11:15:10 PM
I did actually ask one of them for a copy of the pamphlet, but he said they only had a limited supply - for the offenders only.

You can collect as many pamphlets as you may so desire from the myway info centre in civic

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh they have them there do they? Awesome, I'll go pick some up when I head to Kippax next.