Nightrider 2010

Started by Bus 400, December 01, 2010, 09:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

The Nightrider servies for 2010 have been announced & for the first time Deanes Transit Group will be providing these services.

The brochure can be found at http://www.transport.act.gov.au/Night%20Rider%202010.pdf

Buzz Killington

This year's promotional materials look absolutely fantastic! Why can't ACTION promote their services this way?

Good for Deanes to branch out a bit. Interesting set of route numbers this year!

Bus 400

Going by:
QuoteEXCLUDES 24 & 25 DECEMBER 2010 AND ADDITIONAL SERVICES ON NEW YEAR'S EVE

I wonder who'll provide these extra services.

Hopefully this trial does last past 2011.

belcodriver

Still $10 and each route still runs every 90 minutes. Nightriders used to get heaps more people when it was $5 and once an hour. Given that it's a massively subsidised service whose main aim is to reduce violence in Civic I'd have thought the govt could have spent a bit more to do it properly. For 3-4 people it might be no cheaper than a taxi with no longer a wait to get on and a much longer drive.

Although I won't miss staying up all night working it worries me that work that used to be done by ACTION has been given to Deane's. Given that we aren't going to agree to eat the shit sandwich of an EBA they've offered us maybe the govt's strategy is to slowly run ACTION down and privatise bits of it.

The Love Guru

I think it has more to do with staffing issues. As every driver works every weekday, there is no one that can legally do the nightride services (except for those finishing very early, or part timers starting late), and to ask those same drivers to do it every friday night for 3 months isn't going to happen. ACTIONs archaic rostering practices will ensure that they are unable to provided services such as nightride for the foreseable future.

Bus 400

Since Deanes is running this service, I wonder if they'll pressure the Queanbeyan Council/NSW Government for funding for a City to Queanbeyan Nightrider service?

Sir Pompously

Maybe the N110 Canberra to Queanbeyan Nightride? There excuse could be the trains have stopped running :P

Bus 400

Quote from: belcodriver on December 02, 2010, 10:51:24 AM
Still $10 and each route still runs every 90 minutes. Nightriders used to get heaps more people when it was $5 and once an hour. Given that it's a massively subsidised service whose main aim is to reduce violence in Civic I'd have thought the govt could have spent a bit more to do it properly. For 3-4 people it might be no cheaper than a taxi with no longer a wait to get on and a much longer drive.

Maybe the Government should increase fees the the pubs & clubs & spend that money on free Nightrider services. This should help to reduce those drink driving & the money patrons saved can be used for more drinks.....

Bus 400

The New Years Eve timetable has been released & can be found at http://www.transport.act.gov.au/NYEnightrider.html

Bus 400

Taken from City News February 10-16 2011:

By viewing the Nightrider page, this does confirm the route changes

Barry Drive

Had Deane's been allowed to run Nightrider its way (rather than being limited to running it exactly how Transport for Canberra instructed), they wouldn't have done any worse. Having fixed regions departing at fixed times doesn't do anything to encourage its use. People out for a 'night on the piss' don't have any regard for a timetable.

What's needed is more flexibility. You could combine the regions even further - have a North Bus and a South Bus with each departing every 45 minutes. Or have a look at travel patterns and increase the load at certain times - every 30 minutes between 2.30 and 4.00 and every 45-60 minutes at other times. And also consider extending the KMC shuttle to be KMCD - Kingston Manuka City Dickson (along Northbourne Ave).