Route / Timetable discussion

Started by Buzz Killington, August 16, 2009, 07:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

With ACTION constantly fine-tuning their timetables and often releasing small changes on Mondays, I figured one thread is best to keep it all together.

From Monday 17 August:

Route 2 departing Woden at 7:38am, 7:53am and 8:38am - these services will depart between one and twelve minutes later along the route.

Route 701 Afternoon service) Service departing Sydney Avenue at 4:42pm will depart between two and six minutes later from Civic onwards.

Bus 400

There are a few school service changes for Term 4. There is likely to be a lot of school service change for Term 1 2010. Currently ACTION Supervisors are profiling every school route, they have around 30-40 to go.

Apparently this sort of thing hasn't been doe for quite a while. So ACTION will easily alter a service to cater for some students, but nobody notices when students no longer catch the school route (moved on). This means a lot of pointless running, I know of some drivers who know where the students do & don't get off & just alter the route to cater for that.

Bus 400

If you download the Intertown timetable, southbound 318/319 services have had a timetable change. But this update hasn't been listed on the ACTION timetable updates.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on October 08, 2009, 10:26:03 PM
If you download the Intertown timetable, southbound 318/319 services have had a timetable change. But this update hasn't been listed on the ACTION timetable updates.
That is because it is not an update, just a correction. And the HTML version of the timetable is still incorrect, despite me emailing ACTION about it several times (maybe I should try again).

Bus 400

From today the 13:49 Route 5 ex Woden Interchange will arrive 3 minutes earlier at each timing point before City Interchange. Here are the timing points as ACTION put them:
Calvary Hospital   Narrabundah College   Manuka, Captain Cook   Kingston   Kings Ave/ National Crt   Russell Offices

lukeo25

Calvary hospital?, you mean canberra hospital or as i call it woden valley hospital

Bus 400

Bus 400

I haven't even seen this update on the ACTION Timetable Update page & I only found out after checking out what the piece of paper around the Fairbairn Park stops was.

From Monday 21 December 2009, the 16:19 28 service will now leave at 16:29. No other timing point changes.

Buzz Killington

Some minor changes to one service each on Routes 5 and 80:

Route 5 departing Woden at 6:17am     Service will depart up to 9 minutes earlier along the route.
Route 80 departing the City at 8:24am    Service will depart up to 4 minutes later along the route.

Hope this was publicised along the route, because it wasn't on the site until today - the day it took effect.

Buzz Killington

This one is just a bit strange...

Change to Route 939, Saturdays only, 10:46am service from the City only, will depart up to 10 minutes later along the route.

Timetable

Bus 400

From Monday 17 May 2010:

There will be a slight change to the route ACTION Buses take through Brindabella Business Park, with more area now covered. The notice can be found at http://www.action.act.gov.au/recent_routes_change.html a pdf of the route can also be found here.

There will also be a few changes to school services, these include the usual change to start finish times & a few route changes. This infiormation can be found at http://www.action.act.gov.au/recent_school_bus_changes.html

Buzz Killington

The route directions for affected School Routes have been updated on ACT Bus. Changes to Brindabella Park Routes will be updated soon.

Update 14/5 - Brindabella Routes have been updated.

Sir Pompously

Hopefully when the new terminal opens up they might see the light and create a Inbound/Outbound stop route structure (Stops either side of the road), which would stop the 'Does this bus go to.....' when they don't read the destination. However, the Airliner is partly to blame with their desto's which do not clearly show its destination, instead opting for a scrolling Airport - CITY Airliner A1 etc which just confuses people.

Buzz Killington

This is on the frontpage of the ACTION site at present:

Urgent Notice to Passengers
Diversions to Route 30 and 31

Passengers of the route 30 and 31 are advised that, due to an emergency incident on Ellenborough Avenue (between Daintree Cresent, Kaleen and the Barton Highway), services are now being diverted away from the area.

The route 30 and 31 will divert via Baldwin Drive and Ginninderra Drive before resuming normal running. The route 6 is not affected.

Due to these diversions, services may be delayed and therefore passengers should allow for additional time to get to their destination. These diversions are expected to remain in place for several hours.

ACTION thanks passengers for their patience. Please contact ACTION on 13 17 10 for further information.

lukeo25

Mistake "Ellenborough Avenue" its not an avenue the correct name is Ellenborough Street.

Barry Drive

If only they had a twitter account to relay that type of information.

Bus 400

Same thing was done for the Northbourne Avenue closure for a recent murder in Braddon.

The ESA report that the ACT Fire Brigade should depart by 22:00

8:54pm Monday 29 August 2011 - Update four on gas leak at Kaleen.
Gas leak has been isolated.

Repairs are continuing with ACT Fire Brigade crews due to depart by 10pm.   
http://www.esa.act.gov.au/ESAWebsite/content_esa/home_page/esa_home_page.html

smitho

Gas leak was apparently the cause of this evening's diversion...

Bus 400

For those who were unaware, selected school services were altered on the 12th March 2012. Changes included rerouting some routes through the top end of Forde Z& down David Walshe Avenue. More information can be found at https://www.action.act.gov.au/recent_school_bus_changes.html

Barry Drive

Route change rather than timetable change: in a move which will set a dangerous precedent, route 967 & 968 have been altered to actually service the weekday bus stops. A screen grab of the new route map:

Bus 400

The new map is now on the ACTION website, even an updated weekend network map is uploaded.

Bus 400

As of today, only Routes 3,4,5,7 & City West terminating routes use the northbound stop on Alinga Street. All other services use the new stop on Marcus Clarke Street.
The temporary stop on Marcus Clarke Street has also been closed.

Barry Drive

And 934 from Saturday - so long as drivers remember that the route has changed.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 17, 2012, 06:01:07 PM
As of today, only Routes 3,4,5,7 & City West terminating routes use the northbound stop on Alinga Street. All other services use the new stop on Marcus Clarke Street.
The temporary stop on Marcus Clarke Street has also been closed.

I think there are some Xpressos and 200 Links which still use the Alinga St stop as well. In fact, any service which turns LEFT into Marcus Clarke from Alinga will continue to service the Alinga St stop.

Barry Drive

Been a while since there were any changes: effective Monday 3 February, Route 11 which previously departed Woden at 16:40 will now depart at 16:43. And that's all.

New Google Transit feed file is available.

The Love Guru

They were putting new weekend timetables up at Westfield last night. Unsure what the changes were.

Barry Drive

Can't find any recent weekend changes. I think they were for last year's revised 958 timetable.

King of Buses

A change to only 1 out of 3 AM 732s...
At least it's only drop off...

Interesting. The PDF timetable indicates that it terminates at the Sydney Building.

The HTML timetable says it continues to London/Akuna, but uses a Melbourne Building timing point beforehand - there's no stop at the Melbourne Building, though!

From the Transport Canberra website:

QuoteThe Tourist Loop Route 81/981 will change route direction as a result of the reopening of Constitution Avenue.

Route 81/981 will travel from ANZAC Parade then right onto Constitution Avenue, left onto London Circuit and then onto Commonwealth Avenue.

This change will also allow the route to service the National Convention Centre.

The timetable will not be affected by this service change.

New PDF files available at the above link.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I'm still disappointed that it still can't go the Telstra Tower

Bus 400

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on January 04, 2017, 12:40:31 PM
I'm still disappointed that it still can't go the Telstra Tower
You still can, catch a Blue Rapid to "ANU Barry Dr" & walk 3.6k's to the peak. Or walk 2.5k's from the Botanical Gardens stop.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Hope this is the right place to ask this, anyway though.

I didn't know that the multicultural festival was on (cause I didn't read the latest email alert until just now), so when the 300 to the City that I caught yesterday took the alternate detour, that's when I realized.
It got me thinking about something though, because the 300s aren't suppose to or are required to not stop at the west side bus stops whilst taking the detour, why do they go that way then? Cause the southbound routes exit the interchange taking a right, then go left onto Vernon Circle, and continue on with the route - nice and easy and quick.
But the northbound take the full other London Circuit trip, and cause they don't stop why can't they just change lanes after bus 8889, and go around Vernon Circle the other way - at least if they go that way, they would only need to wait at the London Circuit/Northbourne Ave intersection, whereas going the west detour passes through an extra set of lights + the Northbourne crossing lights don't last as long as the North/South sides, which means they're having to wait longer esp during peak.
Can someone clear this up for me please, cause it just doesn't seem all that logical to me.
Or if you think that this would be a good suggestion for ACTION to use, I will do so.

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on February 18, 2017, 04:46:46 PM
Hope this is the right place to ask this, anyway though.

I didn't know that the multicultural festival was on (cause I didn't read the latest email alert until just now), so when the 300 to the City that I caught yesterday took the alternate detour, that's when I realized.
It got me thinking about something though, because the 300s aren't suppose to or are required to not stop at the west side bus stops whilst taking the detour, why do they go that way then? Cause the southbound routes exit the interchange taking a right, then go left onto Vernon Circle, and continue on with the route - nice and easy and quick.
But the northbound take the full other London Circuit trip, and cause they don't stop why can't they just change lanes after bus 8889, and go around Vernon Circle the other way - at least if they go that way, they would only need to wait at the London Circuit/Northbourne Ave intersection, whereas going the west detour passes through an extra set of lights + the Northbourne crossing lights don't last as long as the North/South sides, which means they're having to wait longer esp during peak.
Can someone clear this up for me please, cause it just doesn't seem all that logical to me.
Or if you think that this would be a good suggestion for ACTION to use, I will do so.

Northbound services travel via London Cct West instead of Vernon Circle because to turn right onto London Cct after Vernon Circle is painful because you can only get one bus through each light cycle (because when you get the first green light, you turn onto London Cct and get stuck at the Northbourne Ave/London Cct southbound lights and yeah...). London Cct West does not have this same issue as you can get a number of buses through each cycle. Southbound services also don't have this issue.

I was actually on a northbound 900 today that tried using Vernon Circle - it was beaten to the City Bus Station by the following two 900 services (which left Woden up to five minutes after this service!) because of the delay.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Ok yeah, I suppose that makes sense.

triumph

Route 200 Red Rapid - Use of rear bus door.
Perhaps I have missed a forum reference to this but I can't find any, so here goes.

Transport Canberra has notices at the Gungahlin Terminus stop inbound to City and leaflets at the Civic office advising:
Commencing Monday 13th Feb 2017 customers will be able to exit the bus using both front and rear doors on all Red Rapid services at all stops, as part of a one month trial.

Customers are encouraged to use the rear door to exit so as to speed boarding up and so reduce dwell time.

But there's more,
Boarding through the rear door for MyWay patrons is allowed at Gungahlin, Civic, Barton and Canberra Outlet Centre. 

Quite a development. 'As part of a one month trial', so what is the rest of the trial? Presumably the month is up, but the notice is still displayed. It will be interesting what the trial outcome will deliver.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: triumph on March 16, 2017, 10:28:06 PM
Route 200 Red Rapid - Use of rear bus door.
Perhaps I have missed a forum reference to this but I can't find any, so here goes.

Transport Canberra has notices at the Gungahlin Terminus stop inbound to City and leaflets at the Civic office advising:
Commencing Monday 13th Feb 2017 customers will be able to exit the bus using both front and rear doors on all Red Rapid services at all stops, as part of a one month trial.

Customers are encouraged to use the rear door to exit so as to speed boarding up and so reduce dwell time.

But there's more,
Boarding through the rear door for MyWay patrons is allowed at Gungahlin, Civic, Barton and Canberra Outlet Centre. 

Quite a development. 'As part of a one month trial', so what is the rest of the trial? Presumably the month is up, but the notice is still displayed. It will be interesting what the trial outcome will deliver.

In the end, I don't thinks its particularly significant. From comments made on TC Facebook, many drivers were not opening rear doors for boarding during the trial period at those locations. I don't think many passengers were aware of the trial despite how many ways action tried to get the word out. On the other hand, I have seen drivers allow for rear door boarding at other stops such as Narrabundah College on route 4/5.

In the end, I think it comes down to driver discretion. Rear door boarding (and disembarking) should be allowed if the driver sees fit, but it wouldn't be a great move to set up an expectation for drivers to always open the rear door at selected stops for boarding or disembarking. And I doubt any conclusion reached will change much except perhaps the boarding of rapid services from interchanges at peak

triumph

A straw blowing in the wind......
Reference Canberra Times, today, pages 8-9, item 'Denman Shopping Precinct Aired'.
Mr Stephen Byron (Capital Airport Group managing director) is reported to have said '...with Action Buses to commence services to the suburb in the near future.'

Barry Drive

That has been mentioned. It will happen.

The only question is when? October? December? Next year?

King of Buses

Quote from: triumph on June 14, 2017, 01:18:32 PM
A straw blowing in the wind......
Reference Canberra Times, today, pages 8-9, item 'Denman Shopping Precinct Aired'.
Mr Stephen Byron (Capital Airport Group managing director) is reported to have said '...with Action Buses to commence services to the suburb in the near future.'

Services to Denman Prospect are to commence with the next network (as mentioned in the "Network the Next" thread and quoted below).

Quote from: King of Buses on May 30, 2017, 07:42:45 PM
In my boredom last night I came across this video where TCCS director gives a presentation about Public Transport in the Molonglo Valley.

https://www.facebook.com/MolongloValleyMingle/videos/658916987632119/

It mentions that the next network (whenever that may be) will feature an extension to the 182 to serve Denman Prospect. The route seems to take a one way loop from John Gorton Dr onto Coaldrake Ave, Bielski St and Wyndham Ave, before returning to John Gorton Dr. To be honest that could easily be added now given the timing on the 182 being quite loose.

The roads in the section of Denman Prospect where the shopping precinct is to be built are not yet complete and buses will not likely service that area of the suburb until late next year around when the shopping centre is due to open.

Sylvan Loves Buses

If the fact that Mitchell isn't getting a lightrail stop wasn't bad enough, just trying to get around on foot in Mitchell is hell as it is.
I was doing an errand for my mum today going from icon to Magnet Mart, but cause of how stupidly the networks are designed now, both the 56 and 57 go the EXACT same way through Mitchell, yet on my way to Magnet Mart, the number of once upon a time used bus stop islands I saw, I couldn't believe how many there were and yet nothing has been done to alter this stupidity since like network 2006 or whatever when it was all screwed up...
After carrying a rather heavy and very awkward container, my arm was in a lot of pain (and still is) after walking pretty much the distance of the perimeter of the industrial part of Mitchell cause of getting lost and going back on myself when I approached the lightrail crap which is inaccessible due to the restriction of pedestrian access in the area, when there's so many stops that could used, people like myself wouldn't have to go through such bull.

I've been working on a modified network design like the rest of you have shown in the past, and one such improvement that I would make I will share now just to show what I believe should be done, and even with this change, it would only affect the routes by 2-3 minutes, replacing 1 stop with 6.
Knowing me, I prefer convenience over streamlined, but with this minor convenient change, it would still be somewhat streamlined anyway...

Note: The placements of the stops are off a little cause I was tired drawing this up and don't really know the area fully (although checked google maps later for the remaining stops on Vicars street I didn't see).

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well at least they're keeping the route numbers the same way for now. Although I'm hoping there will be a hard copy timetable for this, I probably shouldn't keep my hopes up....

Toyota Camry

I have noticed that route 60/160 is very frequent for a short period during the afternoon; there are two southbound services departing Woden Bus Station within the space of five minutes. These two services are at 6:03pm and 6:08pm; the first trip is a 60 commencing at Woden Bus Station, the following is a 160 commencing from City West Bus Station at 5:45pm.

I am proposing that in the new network, that whilst I am aware that the route will start at Woden Bus Station, the 6:03pm should be removed; the 6:08pm trip should be increased to an articulated bus, this will help meet capacity requirements.

Sylvan Loves Buses

That is just the tip of the iceberg of the horrific planning that went into the timings of the past few networks. If you ever ride those buses regularly you'd notice that one bus will pretty much always be empty and the other sometimes full - and that's not just for these two routes. Even if the 60 were removed, I still don't feel it would need an artic, maybe a higher capacity bus like a 2, 3 or a Volgren, cause like most of the routes like it, most of the patronage is 300 users going between the City and Woden.
Although not quite as often, but pretty frequent at that time of the afternoon are the 62/162s. I've been getting the alter-ego of that 160 (162) and it gets maybe 10 people on it at any one time on any day. Most of the patronage is for Kambah, and not 300 users mostly probably due to the fact the the 160 picked them all up as there's only like 6 minutes between both of them leaving City West.

Bus 503

Have noticed that the route 163 has a lot of trips that are not marked as wheelchair accessible. Through the morning, 7/8 trips are non-wheelchair accessible and in the evening, 5/8 trips are non-wheelchair accessible. Needless to say, this is bad scheduling that affects anyone with bad physical mobility.

Sylvan Loves Buses

triumph

Diversion from Hospital Rd Garran 11th to 20th June due road works.

TC Service Alerts advises R6 will not service the Canberra Hospital stop in Hospital Rd or the nearby stop in Gilmore Cresc. It seems the service will use Bateson Rd.

The 'secret' AMC Shuttle also uses Hospital Rd but is not mentioned in the Service Alert. Fits.

Bus 503

Not exactly sure where the best place is to post this, but can anyone confirm the current bus allocations that appear on a driver's shift card? (e.g. EURO, STAG, IRIS etc.)

On this topic, I'm curious whether the shift cards differentiate between EURO 5 or EURO 6, and whether articulated bus shifts are marked as ARTIC or ARTW (not sure which one).

Also, might be a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone could post/PM me a shift card from the last 10 years (not from the current network, of course). I've always wanted to know exactly what is on a shift card.

triumph

Also not sure where this should go.
TC has issued a notice that Hospital Rd is closing for a period. Details of impact on R6 are given BUT as previously nothing has been said about the (secret) AMC Shuttle which also travels via Hospital Rd..

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: triumph on December 13, 2019, 09:35:00 PM
Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 13, 2019, 08:48:49 PM982 (R6W) - weird how some drivers were still taking the Hospital detour
The TC Alert says avoiding Hospital Rd in effect till 24th Dec. If this is the detour you refer to, then not taking the detour might be weird.

Well I thought I had read somewhere the closure finished yesterday. About half of the R6s and both AMCs I saw went the diversion way, the others the normal way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯