Bronwyn Hatesad's Supermarket Thread

Started by Sir Pompously, July 07, 2008, 09:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

Quote from: ajw373 on December 23, 2013, 08:24:46 PM
Was at Woolworths Charnwood earlier and noticed they have some new trolleys that have a holder for a barcode scanner. I wonder if Woolworths is soon going to introduce scan as you go shopping? Used it a few times in Holland and it was pretty handy.

Being the top two stores in this region & one of the trial stores, I would watch Woden & maybe even Queanbeyan

Lachie

Quote from: ajw373 on December 23, 2013, 08:24:46 PM
Was at Woolworths Charnwood earlier and noticed they have some new trolleys that have a holder for a barcode scanner. I wonder if Woolworths is soon going to introduce scan as you go shopping? Used it a few times in Holland and it was pretty handy.
aid it didn't says it all really.

Those trolleys also have a shopping list holder, cup holder and nice handles.

ajw373

Quote from: Lachie on December 24, 2013, 11:04:16 PM
Those trolleys also have a shopping list holder, cup holder and nice handles.

You will find that the cup holder is a barcode reader holder, that's why I proposed the question are they planning on introducing scan as you go.

Barry Drive

Re: Monaro Mall Coles

QuoteThis fully airconditioned supermarket has three customer entrances and nine checkouts, four of which are motorised.

The basement contains bakehouse and storage space.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article104589351

So there was a THIRD entrance!!

Buzz Killington

Bus 400

In Canberra shopping news, IGA Drakeford (Kambah) opened on Christmas Day.

In news from the land of IGA aka Perth (literally every suburb has at least one or two IGA's). The Port Kennedy Supa IGA looks to be your source of English imports. But of course if you really love English lolliea, there are a few shops that specialize in specifically.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Bus 400 on January 15, 2014, 08:41:46 PM
In Canberra shopping news, IGA Drakeford (Kambah) opened on Christmas Day.

Didn't that open ages ago? Or did they just have their massive outdoor signage up well in advance?

Spar have opened up in Forde in the old Friendly Grocer store.

Bus 400

Signage was up whike they were still fitting out the store.

Bus 400

Going by recent DA's, Casey group centre will have a Supabarn & Aldi.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on January 27, 2014, 02:12:58 PM
Going by recent DA's, Casey group centre will have a Supabarn & Aldi.
Not anymore. The Casey store is included in the sale of Supabarn to Coles.

Supa Express stores, plus Kingston and Gymea will remain, but the remainder have been sold to Coles.

Bus 400

Spar Express in North Casey has opened up. This one is a joint cafe/convenience store.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Barry Drive on June 19, 2015, 01:21:03 PM
Not anymore. The Casey store is included in the sale of Supabarn to Coles.

Supa Express stores, plus Kingston and Gymea will remain, but the remainder have been sold to Coles.

Worth pointing out that the sale is still pending approval, and Supabarn is still being advertised as coming to Casey Markettown.

ajw373

Quote from: Buzz Killington on February 25, 2016, 06:20:52 PM
Worth pointing out that the sale is still pending approval, and Supabarn is still being advertised as coming to Casey Markettown.

Considering Casey is a lease on empty space by the developer (who happens to also own the Supabarn chain) you would think regardless of the ACCC outcome it will happen. The new Casey shops must near be ready to open would have through too. Anyone know when they are due to open?

Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington

The ACCC has approved an amended submission from Coles on the purchase of Supabarn's stores.

Coles will take over the Canberra City, Kaleen, Wanniassa, Five Dock and Sutherland stores.
Supabarn will retain Crace, Gymea, Annandale, Sans Souci, and the upcoming stores at Casey and Kingston.

ajw373

Casey is a big surprise, in that part of the ACT there isn't much competition anyway so regardless of brand it wouldn't have made much difference.

Guess I won't be shopping at Casey Market Town when it opens (and I move to Casey later in the year). I really have disliked Supa Barn with a passion for many many years.

So that leaves Woolworths or Coles at the town centre, Coles at Kaleen, or maybe Woolies at Charnie as the closest 'big' supermarkets.

Barry Drive

Crace is closer to being a SupaExpress format anyway, so not sure how suitable it would be for Coles.

Maybe they will look to offloading the remaining stores later: Supa Barn is basically just a large format SPAR these days.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Buzz Killington on March 10, 2016, 09:53:37 AM
Coles will take over the Wanniassa store.

>:( >:( >:( another damn change for that store...

Buzz Killington

Three owners in the last 30 odd years is too much for you? (Granted it rebranded a few times under one owner)

Quote from: ajw373 on March 10, 2016, 10:57:19 AM
So that leaves Woolworths or Coles at the town centre, Coles at Kaleen, or maybe Woolies at Charnie as the closest 'big' supermarkets.

Coles at Gungahlin is fantastic.

Supabarn is good for their produce - much fresher than the big two - and they range some interesting grocery items. Wouldn't be surprised to see Casey and Crace sold to independents, though perhaps retaining the branding - supabarn has operated that way in the past (the former stores at Karabar, Lake Cargelligo and West Wyalong were all independently owned)

Bus 503

I'm not sure what happened to those plans to close down SupaBarn and replace it with an ALDI at Kaleen North a few years ago. Maybe the plans didn't work out.
When are SupaBarn stores expected to close down?

It's also interesting that the SupaExpress stores won't be closing down. They were always a part of the SupaBarn branch.

ajw373

None are closing down, just some are being sold. Newspaper says sale and rebranding maybe Juneish.

Re the express those stores are not Supabarn owned they are privately owned hence why they were never for sale. They just pay a fee to Supabarn to use their brand, their logistical chain and marketing.

Bus 400

I wonder if the Coles Wanniassa will compete with BWS Wanniassa for cheap grog for people in that area.

Looks like I have a few months to save up my 2,000 points before heading off to shop at Aldi for my main shop.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Buzz Killington on March 10, 2016, 02:26:01 PM
Three owners in the last 30 odd years is too much for you?

Pretty much, yes.

Yeah, I loved the old IGA that it was, sure it wasn't too grand, but it was small n sweet, had a nice atmosphere, sure I was only 5 or something when they changed to Supabarn, but it was a very dramatic change, and not just me, but a lot of people I grew up with hated the change too...

As you could probably tell from other things I've said, I'm not a fan of changes, esp big ones: Even though I'm 20, I still get upset about some of the parks the ACT gov. removed to replace with "safer" (*cough*) crap they have now days.

Buzz Killington

The old IGA at Wanniassa was interesting in that it essentially grew over the years from its original footprint to take over what was originally about four or so seperate shops, and an arcade walkway - hence its rather strange layout. The change to supabarn was not much more than new signage and a coat of paint - it wasn't until about two years later that they did the big refurb - building the new half out the back then moving every thing across, reconstructing the original store and then joining the two together.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh, so that's what it was huh, well that explains a lot  ::) of course I was too young then to understand that back then, it's good to finally know, thank you.

Barry Drive

Quote from: ajw373 on March 10, 2016, 10:57:19 AM
Casey is a big surprise, in that part of the ACT there isn't much competition anyway so regardless of brand it wouldn't have made much difference.
The concern may have been due to the new Coles at Amaroo.

ajw373

Didn't know one was opening in Amaroo, but quick google and right you are. You might be onto something about that being the reason,  in which case a Wollies would be better! Time will tell.

Buzz Killington

I think Woolies is opening a store at Franklin

ajw373

That they are, but that's not near Casey. Woolies will have Bonner (small), town centre and Franklin. Franklin is 1500m2, which is the same size as Bonner.

Buzz Killington

Supabarn Wanniassa will close on 12 April for about three weeks for conversion to Coles. The City and Kaleen stores will close during May to reopen in June.

Guess they've got more planned than just changing the product range and signage over.

Bus 400

While they're rebranding, they may as well renovate & standardise the stores.

Buzz Killington

Yeah, makes sense. Kaleen could definitely do with a complete refurb. Wanniassa's in decent condition and the City store is probably the best of the bunch here - from memory they relocated into that site in about 2006 from the old City Markets.

Bus 400

Supabarn & Aldi (plus smaller shops) @ Casy Markettown open on Wednesday.  With the official opening on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Barry Drive

Barry Drive

Coles 4786 opened on Wednesday this week.

Kaleen has now closed for refurbishment.

This leaves only 3 Group Centres that do not have Coles or Woolworths. A far cry from "the good old days."

Barry Drive

Coles 4785 (Kaleen) has opened.

So presumably Canberra Centre is now closed for the change over.   

Bus Watcher

Quote from: Barry Drive on June 01, 2016, 04:20:29 PM
So presumably Canberra Centre is now closed for the change over.   

The one at Canberra Centre has been closed for a week or two now. I think it reopens as Coles on the 8th.

Bus 503

Quote from: Barry Drive on June 01, 2016, 04:20:29 PM
Coles 4785 (Kaleen) has opened.

I'll have to go take a visit. I'm sure the prices will be "down down, prices are down...".

Let's hope that's where all the Lawson people will go to shop. They'll have more choice of brands and food at Coles in North Kaleen than they would South Kaleen (SupaExpress).

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus Watcher on June 01, 2016, 05:44:01 PM
The one at Canberra Centre has been closed for a week or two now. I think it reopens as Coles on the 8th.
Spot on. It's now open.

Barry Drive

If the AdShel ads are to be believed, the new Woolworths at Franklin (#1661) is now open.

ajw373

Drove past it yesterday and had signs out front saying as much.

Buzz Killington

Barry Drive

Can someone confirm whether Coles Amaroo has opened?

Bus Watcher

Quote from: Barry Drive on February 17, 2017, 05:15:42 PM
Can someone confirm whether Coles Amaroo has opened?
Yes, it has been open since the 8th of February. Next to no advertisement apart from the occasional radio mention.

Buzz Killington

They had the date up on the temp fencing and some targeted social media posts too.

Sir Pompously

Saw a roving advertising truck around Gungahlin just after it had opened advertising that it was open too

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh yeh great, all shopping trolleys have the 'pay-to-use' locks on them now >:(
can't enjoy shopping anymore without having to pay extra just to use a trolley...

ajw373

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on February 25, 2017, 11:24:06 PM
Oh yeh great, all shopping trolleys have the 'pay-to-use' locks on them now >:(
can't enjoy shopping anymore without having to pay extra just to use a trolley...

You are doing no such thing. You are placing a deposit that you get back provided you return the trolley to a collection point. That is not the same as paying to use it.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yeah well, not every taxi rank/bus interchange (esp Tuggeranong) has a trolley return with a chain plug-in thing, nor other trolleys around to get the coins back.