Nightrider '14.

Started by 743, September 25, 2014, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feedback is being sought on two options for Nightrider '14. The first is the demand-responsive system as used in previous years. The second is running buses at a higher frequency (every 20 minutes) from the City to Belconnen, Woden, Tuggeranong and Gungahlin Town Centres only. Information is available here.

I prefer the demand responsive option - while it's only every 90 minutes, I think the benefits of being dropped off closer to home (especially when it's late, and one too many Vodka Cruisers may be involved) outweigh the higher frequency of the other option.

The Love Guru

I like the option of the high frequency to the interchanges, but only if the bus can contact the radio room and organise whatever numbers of cabs are required at each location. This system has worked well in other places I have worked and Canberra is ideal for it. Cabbies wont be overly happy with the shorter trips but that's just bad luck.

Barry Drive

As announced by Minister Rattenbury last month, the current suburban service model was the preferred option from the survey.

Nightrider will commence on the weekend of 7/8 December. Expect an announcement about the service early next week.

There are expected to be route and timetable changes.

Skitube

let's see what they do with 971...

King of Buses

Quote from: Skitube on November 22, 2014, 09:21:26 PM
let's see what they do with 971...

Of all things, thats what you ask... They'll probably just have 972 - 979 rather than 970 -977 if they are just keeping the same no of routes and that though...or have two 971s!

Buzz Killington

Bus 400

Maybe just for December they'll renumber the 971, just to keep Nightriders happy.

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 23, 2014, 09:50:48 PM
Maybe just for December they'll renumber the 971, just to keep Nightriders happy.
Being ACTION, perfectly possible (and absolutely pointless and stupid)...

Busfanatic101

Ad's for nightrider have appeared on the NXTBUS Screens inside buses (at least for MAN 18.320s) and 425 has a Nightrider rear ad.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: King of Buses on November 24, 2014, 08:44:03 AM
Being ACTION, perfectly possible (and absolutely pointless and stupid)...

Not going to happen.

King of Buses

King of Buses

http://www.action.act.gov.au/timetables_and_maps/nightrider-2014

971 crisis averted. Now all of 97* series is in use for Nightrider excluding 971 with a 969 operating also.

Busfanatic101

wasn't nightrider free last year?
I think $5 will really discourage people, and the fact that it only picks up from city Bus stn means that unless they are really close by, they will have 2 pay to bus/taxi there anyway in the first place...

Buzz Killington

Most of the nightspots in civic are pretty close to the interchange. It was found that last year's free service did not have enough of an impact on passenger numbers to justify keeping it free.

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on November 26, 2014, 06:58:05 PM
Most of the nightspots in civic are pretty close to the interchange. It was found that last year's free service did not have enough of an impact on passenger numbers to justify keeping it free.

Compared to what partying people spend at night club venues etc, $5 isn't very much. Worth remembering too that Nightrider was $10 for some time, so $5 is a bargain in comparison.