The Weather Thread

Started by Irisbus Rider, December 06, 2007, 09:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

It has come through now according to BoM (http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN65244.shtml) we were set to miss out, but I don't call this missing out.

Sir Pompously

QuoteTOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - CANBERRA
for LARGE HAILSTONES and FLASH FLOODING

For people in parts of the
city and suburbs of Canberra and Queanbeyan.

Issued at 3:56 pm Thursday, 2 December 2010.

The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 4:00 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Uriarra Crossing, Cotter Dam, Casuarina Sands and the Brindabella Ranges.

These thunderstorms are moving towards the southeast.

They are forecast to affect Weston Creek, Woden Valley, Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve and Tidbinbilla Tracking Station by 4:30 pm and Tuggeranong, South Canberra, Pine Island and Honeysuckle Creek Tracking Station by 5:00 pm.

Large hailstones, very heavy rainfall and flash flooding are likely.

Damaging wind is more likely to be a feature of the thunderstorms in the northern districts than the southern ones.

The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.

The next warning is due to be issued by 5:00 pm.

A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the Southern Tablelands, Central West Slopes and Plains, South West Slopes, Riverina, Australian Capital Territory and parts of the Central Tablelands, Lower Western, Upper Western and Snowy Mountains districts.

Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 218 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              1300 659 218      end_of_the_skype_highlighting. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.

Sir Pompously

Well it was an amazing storm with plenty of action and one hell of a lot of water falling into the dams, filling up creeks, rivers, and our floodways worked to capacity! Looking at RiotACT there are some fantastic pictures on there, did anyone here manage any? By the looks of it, Oaks Estate Crossing is under one hell of alot of water, one photo shows the mere top of a sign and no height markers in sight. Scrivener Dam is functioning with two gates open, a possible thrid is rumoured to open tomorrow. Googong is overflowing and using its spillway, which before it was breached looked to still have construction bollards in place (Hope they got removed!).

Grabbed two photos  of Scrivener tonight, the first shows the flood gates (Looked great on small screen, put it on the computer and it was a little blurred). The second is people watching the dam, there was a good 15 people out there.

Bus 400

Below is a media release on the status of road closures from as of Monday 6 December. Tis has been changed a little bit with Boboyan Road re open (from Tharwa at least) as well as a few other roads & for obvious reason Smiths Road will be closed for a while. This is likely to change in the next 24 to 48 hours as most of the predicted deluge will be run off & it won't take long for the rivers to flood again.

Sir Pompously

QuoteEvacuation Order for Parts of Queanbeyan
9 December 2010, 9:37am

An evacuation alert has been issues for parts of Queanbeyan

The Bureau of Meteorology has predicted a flood level near 8.2 metres at the Queens Bridge
gauge 11.00 am today.

The Queanbeyan River is rising faster than expected and evacuations are therefore required.

This means that properties in the areas including Trinculo Place, Mowatt Street, Thorpe Street, Antill Street, Collett Street, Monaro Street, Waniassa Street, Atkinson Street, Crawford Street, Carinya Street are likely to flood and require evacuation.

The Riverside Caravan Park is inundated.

The Riverside Centre, Woolworths and Queanbeyan Leagues Club car parks may flood.

The State Emergency Service instructs residents within these areas to evacuate immediately.  If you delay your evacuation, roads may be congested or closed and you could become trapped and need to be rescued. Remaining in flooded areas is dangerous.

When you evacuate you may go to the house of a friend or relative. Alternatively, if you go to an evacuation centre, accommodation and other assistance can be arranged for you.

You may proceed to an evacuation centre located at:

Queanbeyan Tafe Block A, corner of Buttle and McQuoid Streets for residents on the eastern side of the Queanbeyan River, or
Queanbeyan High School School Hall, Agnes Street for residents on the western side of the Queanbeyan River.

Special transport can be provided on request if necessary, telephone 132 500.

Before evacuating, you should prepare yourself and your property for flooding:

• Raise belongings by placing them on tables, beds and benches.  Put electrical items on top. You may be able to place some light-weight items in the roof space.
• Collect together essential medicines, important documents, mementos and photos to take these with you.
• If possible, check to see whether your neighbours need help.
• Make arrangements for care of pets or other animals or take pets with you to an evacuation centre.
• Turn off the electricity and gas.
• Take three days' supply of clothes with you.
• Do not drive or walk through floodwater
• Continue to listen to a local radio station for updates

Sir Pompously

Bus 400

More rain was forecasted for tonight, but this has been downgraded. ACT ESA had set up a incident management team today & this has been closed.

lukeo25

Rain and a good storm now outside coming from the person who had to walk to Woden and get soaking wet from it

Bus 400

The 3 month temperature & rainfall guide have been released by the Beau of Meteorology. By the look of things, 2011 will be the same as every other year. The information can be found at http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/ahead/temp.seaus.shtml

Also as most of us know, Canberra is in for a hot day on Saturday. Well going by some Beau of Meteorology data, the ACT is to experience most westerly winds on Friday, these moving to WNW winds on Saturday & then swinging around to SW on Sunday.  No where is NSW is expected to experience anytime with a Fire Danger Index above 50 for the next 3 days. With the Fire Danger just going upto Very High for areas east of the ACT & surrounding Sydney & Newcastle.

It is a different story for Victoria, with parts of north west Victoria predicted to have a catastrophic fire danger for Friday, but downgrading for Saturday. I am unable to get a full picture of Victoria & can only see a small area.

lukeo25

There is currently a storm With a lot of action

Bus 400

A storm is currently coming into Canberra from the south. The clouds are quite dark & according to radar, heavy rain is predicted.

EDIT
I caught up with this storm out at Hume, it was a monstrous storm, with a lot of hail of varying sizes poor visibility due to the rain as well. I'll post a video or two of it sometime soon.

Sir Pompously

That storm last night was Epic! Lightning and heavy rain, closed the tarmac at the airport for a loooonnnnggggg time (Love our new Alert system, plays an Air Raid Alarm for the duration on the tarmac :P). Had a fun run from the terminal to the staff carpark, drenched as hell, and Zac got stuck in a huge puddle (Flash Flooding John? :P) because the drainage is so s**t at the airport. Anyone get any photos?

Buzz Killington

Lulz @ the air raid.

It really was strange weather yesterday. I was coming along the Hume/Federal Highways back to Canberra in 35 degree heat, only to have the temperature drop by ten degrees in five minutes and got pelted by rain. It suddenly cleared to a literally dry road near Captains Flat, and heated right back up to 35. Then there was the storm last night - our gauge recorded 60mm. There was a hell of a lot of water, branches and bark on the roads too.

Bus 400

It was another spectacular storm this afternoon. It hit Mitchell around 15:30 & it pelted on & off for the next hour after that. All the way from Mitchell to Kambah there was a lovely light show to the west, with the strikes appearing to be non stop.

Buzz Killington

Was quite a nice storm. Helped bring the temperature down too - was quite uncomfortable in the middle of the day.

Snorzac

McDonalds Belconnen lake was inundated due to poor drainage, on the front patio water was knee deep and water was ankle deep through out most of the dining area.

400:D

Was not a nice storm had to walk home it it. Drenched :D, lots of thunder though.

Sir Pompously

There was a lot of electricity in the air yesterday. Off the tarmac quite a few times, managed to board a few in between to atleast get the out onto the taxiway. One place you don't want to be around outside in a storm is an airport. Apparently may have damaged some infrastructure i.e. runway lights etc, according to a captain who came in.

Bus 400

Does anyone know if the Canberra Airport weather station has been moved? I ask as I was out that way on Monday & the building which I am 98% sure was the BoM Canberra Airport weather station was.

smitho

There is a Bureau of Met building on the airside of the Fairbairn RAAF Terminal which you pass close to on the approach to the ACTION terminus at Fairbairn - looks pretty new.

lukeo25

It's a tad windy tonight, made me loose feeling in my ears waiting for my bus

Buzz Killington

Looks like we've just had our first 40 degree day in a few years..

lukeo25

Thankfully I was indoors (I hate the heat A LOT being a pom)

Bus 400

For the avid storm chaser, there is a group on Facebook of storm chasers from around the ACT, it's called ACT Storm Chaser/Photographers

Busnerd

Toyota Camry

There is potential that we may lose part or all of the suburbs of Tharwa, Banks & Gordon tonight or later this week due to a firestorm; it will be a long night for these areas. At this stage, bus services have not yet been effected; routes 80 & 81 are likely to be suspended at short notice.