Minor Maintenance/Repairs Thread

Started by Buzz Killington, May 14, 2009, 06:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

A Tuggy bus failed @ Cohen St around mid-afternoon; driver was issued with a Belco bus replacement.

Don't know numbers of either but I saw 329 being towed into Tuggy Depot at around 2000h, so I suspect that was the dead bus from Cohen St.... 

Barry Drive

If 329 was the one I saw (and I think it was), it broke down at 1800, doing the last 907 to Fraser.

smitho

Quote from: Martin on April 27, 2010, 11:11:47 AM
If 329 was the one I saw (and I think it was), it broke down at 1800, doing the last 907 to Fraser.
Yep, I'd say that was it.

p_stampy

I was on bus 889 this morning... until we all had to get off. Ima guess its the head/turbo:

Happened at 715am this morning.

Buzz Killington

p_stampy

Very true  :pop:

I had a green one (dont know number sorry) that people up the back claimed was on fire in Feb 09.

We all had to get off...something was leaking, however I didn't see any evidence of fire:

Snorzac

Damn 889 is a good one, looks like it has been 'chuffing some weed' (as some would put it)

That driver is awesome, I used to get him every morning!

p_stampy

Quote from: Stacka on May 03, 2010, 06:09:59 PM
Damn 889 is a good one, looks like it has been 'chuffing some weed' (as some would put it)

That driver is awesome, I used to get him every morning!

I have a feeling his name is greg?

Yeh, hes lovely :)

Ill see what bus I get tomorrow morning. I never really took notice of the numbers until today.

The Love Guru

889 looks like it has shat the turbo, tho that is an unusual amount of smoke to be coming out at idle.

As for the IRIS, it looks just like 310 did when it died on me a while back. Its not the first or the last time that it died.

Snorzac

I have seen 310 at least 10 times on the side of the road in that condition, not to mention most of the others.

Buzz Killington

Worst thing is that 310 was the bloody evaluator! Why on earth they decided to buy it and 19 others I just don't under$tand..

Snorzac

The amount of times I have said that... LOL

Buzz Killington

Pretty sure this would be the most common desto it carries..

DF = Dead / F^cked?

p_stampy

Quote from: Chris_Guru on May 03, 2010, 07:47:24 PM
889 looks like it has shat the turbo, tho that is an unusual amount of smoke to be coming out at idle.

It didn't smell too great, I know that much  :-[

Buzz Killington

Quote from: p_stampy on May 03, 2010, 08:26:14 PM
I didn't smell too great, I know that much  :-[

Now that's an embarrassing typo..

smitho

Saw the 889 'fire' develop as I was heading northbound along Barry Drive with a 300; amount of smoke coming out as it came down Barry Drive reminded me of a steam locomotive.

p_stampy

p_stampy

Quote from: smitho on May 03, 2010, 08:28:53 PM
Saw the 889 'fire' develop as I was heading northbound along Barry Drive with a 300; amount of smoke coming out as it came down Barry Drive reminded me of a steam locomotive.

Do you remember what time that was? My pic didn't really capture all the smoke (clouds in the background??), but I had friends say about an hour later it was still going strong.

p_stampy

Turns out 889 did in fact blow the turbo.

Had 844 instead today "710 driver training"... lol

CNG

gee that is not good, by the way welcome to ACT Bus forum P Stampy from CNG

p_stampy

smitho

Quote from: p_stampy on May 03, 2010, 08:51:21 PM
Do you remember what time that was? My pic didn't really capture all the smoke (clouds in the background??), but I had friends say about an hour later it was still going strong.
I'd say around 0720.

Bus 400

A Scania leaving Russel on a southbound run crawled through the roundabout & beyond with its emergency indicators, sadly I never got to see the fleet number.

Snorzac

363 was broken down at Cohen street a few minutes ago

p_stampy

Bus 889 is back and running :)

Are there turbos sitting around ready to go or something?

The Love Guru

There would be spares available. Changing a turbo is a fairly straight forward procedure and could be completed by a competent mechanic in a couple of hours.

p_stampy

Top stuff.

How are the turbo's cooled? (water? air?)

The Love Guru

Vast majority of turbos are air and oil cooled. There are some exceptions that are water cooled, but these are in the minority due to the extreme tempratures involved. Oil is a better conductor of heat so has better cooling effecience. The oil is mainly there for lubrication however, with turbo's spinning up wards of 30000rpm in some cases. Key to cooling a turbo is keeping the exhaust temp as low as possible and ensuring the turbo used produces the lowest amount of boost required at max load. This stops unnecassary compressing of air (producing huge amounts of heat) that just flows out the wastegate.

Buzz Killington

155 had shat itself at Woden this morning. Towtruck in attendance.

Snorzac

490 was towed to the depot after it developed a gas leak in Russel

Bus 400

I spotted this lovely professional looking work in Bus 314 today

In case it isn't quite clear, the first air-con panel is only being held on by the top & 1 screw at the bottom.

Snorzac

Wow, a CB60 with a loose aircon panel, that's something un-heard of....

p_stampy

Bus 382 (i think) had to be rebooted at civic today... after that it look like it drove off ok.

Barry Drive

Rebooted as in turned off then started up again? Usually it's the kneel mechanism that requires that. I had to do that in an full Irisbus half-way up Northbourne Ave one Saturday afternoon. Took the passengers by surprise when their packed bus suddenly had its engine stop.

p_stampy

I'm not sure sorry, I wasn't on the bus. I just noticed the back number thing went off and the engine was off after it looked like it wasn't moving forwards.

Bus 400

A PR100.3 appeared to break down in the City last night, it was on a 312 & even though Platform 5 was empty it pulled up at Platform 4 with hazards on.

Buzz Killington

389's engine cut out this morning as it pulled out from the Woden Interchange Intertown bay.

Just took a quick restart to get us back on the way though.

Bus 400

Very early this morning, Bus 341 broke down on Tuggeranong Parkway near Lady Denman Drive exit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lukeo25

Noticed a .2 broken down near geoscience on jerabomerra ave, it was being seen to by a mechanic because the engine flap was open

blackdragon

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 11, 2010, 07:31:41 PM
A PR100.3 appeared to break down in the City last night, it was on a 312 & even though Platform 5 was empty it pulled up at Platform 4 with hazards on.

Perhaps the same PR100.3 that was broken down with service truck in attendance on London cct in between the north and south bound lanes of Northbourn Ave (facing towards the courts). Although I can't actually remember which night I saw it this week..

Snorzac

'MyWay' reports that his bus tonight (137) has broken down at Kippax with a suspected fuel line issue, the tow truck has been called.

Barry Drive

Considering the low priority that seems to be given to repairing Darts, 137 is likely to be the next ticket machine donor.

Buzz Killington

This may be one for another thread, but if it has gotten to the stage where ticket machines for the new buses are being taken out of the old, could we assume that there will be no buses withdrawn until MyWay is in place?

Surely if they were going to retire some of the Mk1 Renaults, they'd take those ticket machines rather than those of the Darts.. Unless they plan on getting rid of those?

Sir Pompously

Well the darts carry less passengers, so therefore less revenue is lost. And the Darts are generally a last resort to drivers anyway (Except for an odd few who enjoy them ;)), so best to take them out of a bus that will be last used and will ensure that not as much revenue would be lost (Compared to if you had taken the machine out of an Artic or Rigid).

Buzz Killington

Yes, I can see why they're taking the machines out of the Darts as they have the lowest passenger capacity, I'm making the observation that they are obviously not intending to retire any buses anytime soon, otherwise we'd see Renaults parked at Woden with their ticket machines transferred to the new MANs and Scanias.

Sir Pompously

It doesn't mean they don't intend to retire buses soon though. Just because we have not seen them head over there now, does not mean we will not see some old Renaults move to Woden in the next few days, weeks or months. Better to take the machines out of the Darts for the MAN's, as when some Renaults are retired they are still going to be short of machines anyway.

Barry Drive

Sadly, neither the Darts nor the Irisbuses are destined for early retirement since they count towards the wheelchair accessible fleet. And considering the 75* buses were among the first ones at B depot to get fitted out for MyWay (TM), they might not be going anywhere soon either.

p_stampy

The 16 in the morning that goes past latham shops at 720... that has been a dart for probably a year now. I have no idea why, its always over full and runs like shit.

That's why I get the 650am bus which is an artic, so i can stretch out my short legs in comfort.