0 (0%)
Gungahlin
3 (30%)
Other: Please specify.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

bubzie

Well, you asked.

What makes your local/not so local shopping centre shit on all the rest?

Discuss.

Bus 400

Kambah Village is the best, well because it's in Kambah. But because they all are quite busy all of the time. Others are quite in the middle of the day of on weekends, but not Kambah Village.

Irisbus Rider

Thanks for that bubzie!

Real tough toss up between Lanyon and Kippax, they both have the mandatory local centre 'localness', (i.e. Heeeey, G'day Bazza, long time, no see, how's the missus), and a Woolies and Aldi, plus a fast food outlet.

Meh, Kippax it is.

Buzz Killington

Lanyon. Has a pretty good Woolies, decent selection of takeaway (Maccas, Kingsleys, Subway (if it ever reopens), Takeaway store, Dominoes and a few others), Petrol, Aldi, Carwash.. Everything you need from a group centre.

Gungahlin comes second, only because it has a Big W

Barry Drive

Gungahlin is a Town Centre, not a Group Centre so it shouldn't be in the running. Officially these are the designated 'Group Centres' in Canberra:

Charnwood
Hawker
Kippax
Kaleen
Jamison
Dickson
Manuka
Kingston
Calwell
Chisholm
Conder/Lanyon
Kambah
Wanniassa
Erindale (also in Wanniassa - making it the only suburb to have two Group Centres)
Curtin
Weston
Mawson/Southlands

smitho

Martin is correct with his list; the poll list is wrong.

Curtin is my favorite followed by Mawson and Weston.

These are great because (a) great shops with personalised service without all the usual boring franchisees (b) not dominated by a boring air conditioned mall and (c) reasonable public transport access to Woden and Civic and (d) easy parking.

bubzie

Updated. Go vote again!

And gungahlin isnt a major shopping centre (Or at least, the other poll doesnt think so. pick on that one!) so i suppose it belongs here.

Barry Drive

Gungahlin is a town centre, but it was designed so that it would not have a single, dominant shopping mall. Which is why it has several mini-malls instead.

But back to the question: the best suburban group centre. My vote would be Dickson. It still has a suburban quality with the vibrancy of an inner-city thanks to all the restaurants.