Network 2019 - the final version

Started by King of Buses, October 16, 2018, 08:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King of Buses

Some details of the final version of Network 19 are being made available today.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/canberra-news/up-to-50-canberra-schools-will-still-lose-dedicated-bus-services-20181015-p509qx.html

Clicking image opens larger format

I'm presuming more details will be available later.

Barry Drive

Full list of routes, based on the map:

R1 Gungahlin to City - tram line (unchanged)
R2 Fraser West to COC via Belconnen & City (unchanged)
R3 Spence to BBP via Belconnen & City (extended to BBP)
R4 Belconnen to Tuggeranong via City & Woden (formerly City to Lanyon)
R5 Lanyon to City via Erindale, Woden, Barton & Russell (change to National Cct)
R6 City West to Woden via South Canberra (not to Weston)
R7 City to Chapman via Weston (yes: Chapman!)
R8 Belconnen to Gungahlin (unchanged)
R9 Belconnen to Watson via Bruce & Dickson (change to Thynne St)
R10 City to Denman Prospect

18 Gungahlin to Mitchell via Harrison
19/20 Gungahlin / Forde / Bonner / Amaroo loop
21/22 Gungahlin / Throsby / Harrison / Franklin / Palmerston loop
23/24 Gungahlin / Palmerston / Crace / Nicholls loop
25/26 Amaroo / Moncrieff / Taylor / Casey loop
27 Gungahlin to Casey via Moncrieff & Ngunnawal
28 Gungahlin to Casey via Ngunnawal

30 Belconnen to Dickson via Kaleen & Giralang
31 Belconnen to City via Kaleen, Dickson, Ainslie & Braddon (following old Route 7)
32 Belconnen to City via Macquarie, Cook & Aranda (old Route 40)

40 Belconnen to Fraser West via Florey, Latham, Kippax and Charnwood
41 Belconnen to Fraser West via Evatt, Melba, Flynn & Tillyard Dr
42 Belconnen to Fraser via Page, Scullin, Melba & Flynn
43 Belconnen to Evatt via McKellar (Route 12 except via Coulter Dr)
44 Belconnen to Kippax via West Macgregor & Holt (same as now)
45 Belconnen to Kippax via Weetangera, Hawker & Higgins (exact same as Route 17)

50 City to Watson via Miller St, Dickson & Downer
51 City to Dickson via O'Connor & Lyneham (north half of Route 1)
53 National Musuem to Dickson via Braddon, Ainslie & Hackett (back to using Gooreen St)
54 City to Majura Park (with peak stops at Campbell Park)
55 City to ADFA loop (same as Route 9)
56 City to Fyshwick via South Canberra (current Route 4 then Fyshwick)
57 City to Woden via Garran, Hughes, Yarralumla, PH & Parkes
58 City to Woden via Curtin, Deakin PH & Parkes

60/61 Woden / Mawson / Farrer / Isaacs / O'Malley loop
62 Woden to Mawson via Lyons, Chifley, Pearce & Torrens
63 Woden to Weston via Waramanga, Fisher & Stirling
64 Woden to Chapman via Weston & Rivett
65 Woden to Chapman via Weston, Holder & Duffy
66 Woden to Weston via Lyons, Coombs, Wright, Denman Propect

70 Woden to Tuggeranong via Weston & Kambah West
71 Woden to Tuggeranong via Weston & Kambah East
72/73 Tuggeranong / Oxley / Wanniassa / Monash loop
74/75 Tuggeranong / Erindale / Fadden / Chisholm / Gilmore / Richardson loop
76 Tuggeranong to Calwell via Wanniassa, Gowrie, Chisholm & Richardson
77 Tuggeranong to Erindale via Monash & Gowrie
78 Tuggeranong to Chisholm via Bonython, Isabella Plains & Richardson
79 Tuggeranong to Calwell via Isabella Plains & Theodore

80 Tuggeranong to Conder via Banks
81 Tuggeranong to Conder via Bonython, Gordon & Banks

180 City to Conder via Tugg Pkwy & Banks [PEAK]
181 City to Conder via Tugg Pkwy, Gordon & Banks [PEAK]
182 City to Conder via Monaro Hwy, Chisholm Shops & Calwell Shops [PEAK]

Toyota Camry

This change is a huge letdown for Lanyon Valley passengers; it is the R5 that should have been cut, not the R4, as these people want a direct trip to Tuggeranong, Woden and Civic, they are not wanting to visit Calwell, Erindale, Forrest, Barton and Russell.

I am surprised also that route 41 has been extended from Fraser East to Fraser West; I believe that patronage is very low on this section of route 14. It may be necessary for Fraser West to be upgraded from a terminus to a bus station to handle the number of buses it will be handling; I believe it will be around 10 departures per hour during the day, and 17 departures per hour in peaks.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Wow, how typical... Just by looking at the map it looks to me like they barely took in much of the feedback that they got, or at least didn't redesign it properly for what was given. So many of those direct routes are given back but with no stops added.

My main concern is for Kambah, obviously cause I live there, at least they decided to leave the way they go and not have an annoying pointless switchback, but I feel there's gonna be quite a few annoyed patrons cause of an extension to Cooleman on both the routes and more walking forced upon those in the south west area to walk to the Park n ride stop for a slightly more convenient route.
I'm really disappointed frankly. So many of those loops are the same, the fact that this'll force patrons to ride several more buses/vehicles to get to work or whatever they think is encouraging more people to ride the buses when in fact it'll likely do the exact opposite.

lukeo25

I'm awaiting news about the service to Hume.

Busfanatic101

At least Weston Creek isn't the complete mess that it was...
Really need the revised frequencies to comment further on this

Northside

I don't understand why the 23/24 need to detour to connect with the R8. I thought there were plans to add a new bus stop on Gundaroo Dr just south of Abena for this connection.

I'm still disappointed by the lack of Rapid Routes in Gungahlin. Looking at the old proposed frequencies, feeder routes to Gungahlin TC had lower frequencies than they have now. I hope this improves. You can combine the 27 and 28 pretty easily which can allow for the R8 to be extended to service Mirrabai and a direct, frequent route to Moncrieff.

Down south, I still don't understand why the 180 and 181 don't service Tuggeranong TC. If you had the two routes simply as peak extensions from Tuggers to the city, then you can have a combined frequent peak express to Tuggeranong and you don't need to run 181s and 81s (and 180/80) at the same time because the peak route completely replaces the local. It's just weird that they don't consider this!

King of Buses

Quote from: Northside on October 16, 2018, 03:16:14 PM
Down south, I still don't understand why the 180 and 181 don't service Tuggeranong TC. If you had the two routes simply as peak extensions from Tuggers to the city, then you can have a combined frequent peak express to Tuggeranong and you don't need to run 181s and 81s (and 180/80) at the same time because the peak route completely replaces the local. It's just weird that they don't consider this!

They'd probably say diverting it via Tuggeranong would add too much time to the route - which would be rather ironic. I wouldn't object to it though (and I'm a resident of the region). Surprised the 180/181 aren't one route that only runs as far as Lanyon, allowing connections to the 80/81 there (like the 182 is). Either way would mean there isn't that duplication in Conder/Banks/Gordon (not that I really object to more choice of buses to catch!)

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on October 16, 2018, 12:36:39 PM
Really need the revised frequencies to comment further on this

And yeah, I feel the same about that. That would certainly help with judging things.

Quote from: Toyota Camry on October 16, 2018, 10:22:43 AM
This change is a huge letdown for Lanyon Valley passengers; it is the R5 that should have been cut, not the R4, as these people want a direct trip to Tuggeranong, Woden and Civic, they are not wanting to visit Calwell, Erindale, Forrest, Barton and Russell.

I'm OK with the R5 being the Lanyon rapid rather than the R4, given the local Lanyon routes run to Tuggeranong. Going via Calwell and Erindale to Woden isn't all that different to going via Tuggeranong (I'll find it more convenient this way TBH). Having to go via Forrest, Barton and Russell to get to the City is disappointing though, but at least it doesn't also run via Hughes and Deakin as the original R5 was meant to in the original Rapid network announcement!

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: lukeo25 on October 16, 2018, 12:27:35 PM
I'm awaiting news about the service to Hume.

You and me both, that and Symonston. I've been a regular on the 80/88 to Symonston once to twice a week over the past few months, I really hope something is still considered for that, cause it's a much quicker and quieter way to get to south Narrabundah than the 6 from Woden.

I was originally annoyed about the numbers change, but it doesn't bother me anymore, my area won't be too much of a drastic change of numbers. I've become so careless trying to remember the ticket prices over the years I just can't be bothered caring about the changes anymore - mostly due to how often and annoying they've been these past few years.
As long as the new timetables (that better be printed) aren't as rubbish with the timings and connections of routes as they are now, I think I'll manage without raging too much - well apart from the Weston extension on the 70/71 and lack of a Woden bound Wanniassa bus closer to Kambah than the twice-as-far-to-walk-Wanniassa-P&R-vs-64-Vosper-street option...

Northside

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on October 16, 2018, 09:39:36 PM
it's a much quicker and quieter way to get to south Narrabundah than the 6.
This is the problem Action are trying to resolve. 2 routes servicing the same area - one route is barely used yet people get up in arms about losing a service when a high frequency service is just a stone's throw away. Having said that, there is a need to service the Sundown Motel and GA, so that's not a simple fix.

lack of a Woden bound Wanniassa bus closer to Kambah than the twice-as-far-to-walk-Wanniassa-P&R-vs-64-Vosper-street option...

Again, the couple of stops serviced by an infrequent 64 in Kambah that are all within walking distance to a much more frequent and fast service at the new P&R stop. It's obvious that people are using that service already over the 64, so why continue it?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Because not all of us are athletes ???

It is true that Symonston is underutilised, but what are the people who work in the Therapeutic Goods Administration Government office and visitors of the trailer park suppose to do if there's no service. My option is not severe, cause I'm only travelling to the German Harmonie Club which is 100m difference between the buses, but those people would have to travel (walk) up to 2.5km just to get a bus back home or there to work.
It's just like Hume, I don't know if Hume was serviced in the 90's cause my timetables don't go that far back, but from the timetables I do own, there was a significant gap where it wasn't serviced, although it would've been a really good idea that it was. Hume is an industrial suburb just like Mitchell and Fyshwick, although not as large, it should still have a service - at least once or twice each way a day. Like Gleneagles, the patronage is very small, but it should be considered due to the few patrons who do use it.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on October 17, 2018, 01:03:52 PM
Hume is an industrial suburb just like Mitchell and Fyshwick, although not as large, it should still have a service - at least once or twice each way a day. Like Gleneagles, the patronage is very small, but it should be considered due to the few patrons who do use it.
Patronage is low. Hence having a full day service is not viable, especially as it is out of the way. That does not mean having one or 2 services a day will work either, as in that case, chances are either the bus there or back at least, if not both, will not be when the majority of users would need it, hence they wouldn't catch the bus anyway (carpool, get a lift, uber, taxi), which would cut the low patronage even further making it even less viable. If they cut it, it will be inconvenient for some people but a small unheard minority. Ultimately, it is not a taxi service. Buses cost a lot to operate and need patronage to make it viable. Perhaps there is room for a private company using smaller more economical vehicles to fill in that gap. The Symonston motel could offer a shuttle service from the nearest 6 stop, as could TGA.

Sylvan Loves Buses

From how much money TC wasted on dead-runs due to poorly constructed shifts these past few years I'm sure a few extra unnecessary-for-everyone routes really wouldn't hurt that much.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on October 17, 2018, 08:36:23 PM
From how much money TC wasted on dead-runs due to poorly constructed shifts these past few years I'm sure a few extra unnecessary-for-everyone routes really wouldn't hurt that much.
I have noticed some patterns in empty bus running; in one recent trip on the Tuggeranong Parkway, I passed around six buses heading north between the Glenloch Interchange and Kambah, this was around 2:45pm. These buses must be en-route between Tuggeranong Depot and the north side.

I am not sure what the longest dead run that currently occurs is; I am aware of empty runs between Fraser West and Tuggeranong Depot, which is a significant distance.

It could reduce dead running if driver changeovers were to occur en-route; for example, another run that occurs is that a blue rapid service will arrive at Lanyon Marketplace, then return empty to Tuggeranong Depot, whilst another bus will travel empty to Lanyon Marketplace at the same time and form a northbound blue rapid. Dead running could be reduced if drivers swapped on the in service bus at Tuggeranong Depot; this would also reduce expenditure on diesel fuel and fleet maintenance.

Northside

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on October 17, 2018, 08:36:23 PM
I've lived in a few cities and have never seen any other city with so much dead running. In any other city (especially where buses are privatised), this simply doesn't happen. There would be no way in hell that a Fraser West run would return to a Tuggeranong depot.

Hopefully this new network addresses this. However, it would be more flexible if the rapid routes were less rigid - ie any run terminating in the city can simply run as an extra run on part of a rapid route to either Tuggers, Woden or Belco at little cost.

I'm also surprised they haven't seriously looked into opening a depot (even if just a very basic one) in Mitchell to avoid all the dead running between Gungahlin and Belco.

Busnerd

You'd be surprised about some of the dead running that exists for whatever reason, it is not exclusive to ACTION and happens in a number of private and government bus companies, not only limited to buses but trains as well.

Bus 400

A Mitchell Depot is actually in the pipeline, but nothing is likely to happen until Woden Depot reopens.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Snorzac

Dead running is unavoidable, it's a question of whether you want a bus to sit at Fraser for 28 minutes (as an example) or whether you want the bus to run empty to kippax and start a run within 15minutes. Sure you burn the fuel but at the end of the day it's probably cheaper given driver wages to run it empty rather than having your resource stationary for an extended period.

In an ideal world there would be minimal dead running but with driver meal and crib breaks it makes dead running unavoidable, add that to time table constraints and you will find empty running is more than often the more efficient alternative to having a bus sitting around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bus 400

A bit more info about the Demand Responsive Transport has been made public via a tender.
https://tenders.act.gov.au/ets/tender/display/tender-details.do?id=91949&action=display-tender-details

DRT will replace Flexibus, but also expand to AMC, greenfield areas (developing suburbs) & local hospitals.

It will be being run by the minibus crew & service will be free to begin with.

If the trial is successful, the service may be expanded & fees will be charged.

Bookings are looking to be made via modern ways of via an app, website or telephone.

The tender shows some mumbo jumbo about the new payment system. But if anyone who might understand mumbo jumbo might like to explain it in simple english.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Northside

For those playing at home, here are my thoughts for Network 2019 improvements:

http://actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=4401.0

All suggestions welcome. Hopefully some of the changes may be able to be adopted.

Barry Drive

Maps and timetables now online.

https://www.transport.act.gov.au/getting-around/new-network/bus/regions

New routes will commence on Monday 29 April (not 27th as previously announced).

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on October 17, 2018, 01:03:52 PM
Because not all of us are athletes ???

So you're complaining about walking from Vosper or Livingston to the stops on Athllon, but use the 88 to get to Narrabundah?🤔

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yes, because due to the incline I have to already walk to Vosper that takes 10 minutes to walk for the 64, walking to the P&R stop is exactly double the distance and time to take walking there. My mum and I as well as many others will now have to deal with either a route that takes 10-15 minutes longer to get to Woden and back home, or walk 10 minutes longer to get a 15-20 minute shorter route. That's why I'm always saying (elsewhere, not on here) if they had built the stop on both sides in the exact same place closer to the underpass, had one close to Jenke park or/and reinstated the stop where there's a concrete slab for stops that likely used to service Drakeford Drive where the Kambah Terminus once was, I wouldn't be complaining as much.

As for the 80/88 to Narrahbundah, I don't get off at the Government building (although others do utilise this stop on ocassion and residents from the caravan park do too), I get off outside the Geoscience building which has since been moved about 100 meters closer to the Harmonie German Club of which I am going to Narrabundah for.
Compared to what is over a kilometre walk, this I can cope with, and esp the routes I prefer being the 80 and 88, they have a much higher chance of being a PR2 than the 6 does, which is why I like to ride them whenever possible, regardless of if the walk is 200m difference, it's worth the 3 minutes faster travel if I get a bus I like.

Lol Barry Drive, you can never win...

triumph

Perusing the new timetables, there is a subtle change at Belconnen:
The 'Belconnen Community Bus Station' becomes 'Belconnen Interchange'.

By the way, the terminal for local services 'Emu Bank Bus Station', and starting point 'Eastern Valley Way Bus Station' continue but unless to be much improved, do not warrant the title 'Bus Station'. The Emu Bank stop is just that, a blade on a pole. At least the Eastern Valley Way stop has a shelter. 

Busfanatic101

Certainly off-peak (evenings, weekends) seems to be improved but a significant downgrade for peak travel. Lucky me that I no longer have regular commutes and I'm no longer dependent on public transport for other travel...

triumph

Quote from: triumph on March 14, 2019, 11:43:35 PMThe Emu Bank stop is just that, a blade on a pole. At least the Eastern Valley Way stop has a shelter. 
The Emu Bank stop DOES have a shelter. Should not have relied on memory, sorry. But still, they are normal shelters with nothing special about the infrastructure to warrant the term 'Bus Station'.

Busfanatic101

From Google:

Quote from: undefinedbus station

noun

• a place in a town where buses arrive and depart.

Why would it need to have 'special infrastructure' to be called a bus station? There are plenty of train stations which have little more than a platform and a sign.

They are using the term bus station to refer to the main transfer points for buses. What they might have called interchange in the past.

Busfanatic101

There is now reference to a service to AMC run by smaller buses under FAQ - details still to be announced. I wonder if this could extend to Hume maybe. Add in Hall, Oaks Estate, Uriarra Village and Gleneagles while they're at it lol...

Bus 503

It appears that many routes will have services beginning before 06:00 on a weekday, which is half an hour earlier than when the first service of many route operates at the moment.

I find the route 50 and route 51 crossover quite odd. If TC is aiming for more direct routes, then why does the route 51 not continue all the way up Brigalow Street, instead doing what the route 50 should do and going up Mackennal and Archibald?
The route 50 should continue all the way up Miller Street, which flows into Mackennal Street, avoiding the crossover with the route 51.

I also don't understand the logic of sending the route 56 down Constitution Avenue. The most direct route is for it to go over Commonwealth Avenue and not waste time going down Constitution Avenue, which is already well-serviced by the R3, R5 and the 182.

The stops on Langton Crescent will be reopened for use of the 57 and 58. These were closed after the old route 6 was abolished, and the large shelter and furniture with it.
On the subject of new bus stops, the route 31 will service the UC Hospital on Thirriwirri Street.
Also of note is that Narrabundah Terminus will reopen for terminating services of the route 56 in the evening.

Barry Drive

QuoteI find the route 50 and route 51 crossover quite odd. If TC is aiming for more direct routes, then why does the route 51 not continue all the way up Brigalow Street, instead doing what the route 50 should do and going up Mackennal and Archibald?
The route 50 should continue all the way up Miller Street, which flows into Mackennal Street, avoiding the crossover with the route 51.
This crossover is to ensure route 50 continues to service Lyneham Shops.

The Langton Cres stops have been moved from the old location. These stops have been used on occasion for shuttle services such as the Government House open day.

As Bus400 has reported via twitter, there has been a contract awarded to install and remove bus stop signs.

I assume the 731 blade signs counts the supplemental signs (such as School Service, City Loop) as well as the large signs (so isn't actually 731 closed stops) and timetable signs mostly refers to bollards.

King of Buses

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on March 29, 2019, 10:58:34 PMAdd in Hall, Oaks Estate, Uriarra Village and Gleneagles while they're at it lol...

Plus Tharwa.

Quote from: Bus 503 on March 30, 2019, 09:47:18 AMI find the route 50 and route 51 crossover quite odd. If TC is aiming for more direct routes, then why does the route 51 not continue all the way up Brigalow Street, instead doing what the route 50 should do and going up Mackennal and Archibald?

It's to service Lyneham Shops. I believe there was a bit of backlash in the consultation about that. The fact that it won't service the same stops there though is a bit of a problem. Only simple fix I guess would've been for the 50 to use Scrivener/Brigalow rather than Miller/Wattle, which would've reduced coverage a little bit (no worse than the current 936/937 though), but would've meant the Brigalow St stops just south of the Wattle St roundabout would've been a set of common stops.

Quote from: Bus 503 on March 30, 2019, 09:47:18 AMI also don't understand the logic of sending the route 56 down Constitution Avenue. The most direct route is for it to go over Commonwealth Avenue and not waste time going down Constitution Avenue, which is already well-serviced by the R3, R5 and the 182.

Presumably to allow for a South Canberra - Russell/Reid link to (kinda) replace the 200, even though it does pretty much everything in the South Canberra region rather than being a direct service.

vnguyen

Google maps is now showing the new routes.

Bus 503

Something that seems quite odd is that two route 31s get to Cohen Street with a one minute gap between them: the 14:44 route 31 from the City gets to Cohen Street at 15:28, and the route 31 beginning at Kaleen Primary gets to Cohen Street at 15:29.

Couldn't TC have scheduled it so that the 14:44 service also serviced the Kaleen schools instead of having one bus for for the "school service" 31 and one for the "normal" 31?

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Bus 503 on April 13, 2019, 04:19:57 PMSomething that seems quite odd is that two route 31s get to Cohen Street with a one minute gap between them: the 14:44 route 31 from the City gets to Cohen Street at 15:28, and the route 31 beginning at Kaleen Primary gets to Cohen Street at 15:29.

Couldn't TC have scheduled it so that the 14:44 service also serviced the Kaleen schools instead of having one bus for for the "school service" 31 and one for the "normal" 31?
Perhaps demand is so great that one bus (or the allocated bus type) just wouldn't have cut it. Multiple well-patronised school buses to Belconnen may have been cut for example.

Busnerd

Sounds perfectly normal to me, quite often routes are timed 1-2 mins apart with one commencing at a school to pick up the extra load of students, I used to catch a 313 in the morning 10 years ago which had a 08:03 and 08:06 departure, one was a short working and one was the normal trip, one was also completely full most mornings and the other only half full.

triumph

New timetable books are now available. Try Info at City and Libraries.

Bus 503

Quote from: King of Buses on March 30, 2019, 11:32:24 AMIt's to service Lyneham Shops. I believe there was a bit of backlash in the consultation about that. The fact that it won't service the same stops there though is a bit of a problem. Only simple fix I guess would've been for the 50 to use Scrivener/Brigalow rather than Miller/Wattle, which would've reduced coverage a little bit (no worse than the current 936/937 though), but would've meant the Brigalow St stops just south of the Wattle St roundabout would've been a set of common stops.

Thanks for the response, King of Buses. I wasn't aware of the backlash.
I still think that the route 50 should not divert via the Lyneham Shops. It is an 800 m walk from stop 3118 to Lyneham Shops, which is not far at all. I think it is better to have a streamlined service that uses the most logical routing than have an unnecessary diversion.

Toyota Camry

It may be worth considering the operation of a separate shuttle route number 52, to provide a shuttle between Stop 3118 and Lyneham Shops; this would be an ideal run for the Dennis Dart vehicles that are about to be withdrawn. I am proposing that one bus could operate this service at a 30 minute daytime frequency; during peak hours it could operate every 20 minutes.

At night and on weekends, it may be more worthwhile to operate the route using full size buses operating special to & from Dickson Interchange; this would reduce excessive layover times on a 60 minute frequency.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Toyota Camry on April 21, 2019, 08:26:25 AMIt may be worth considering the operation of a separate shuttle route number 52, to provide a shuttle between Stop 3118 and Lyneham Shops; this would be an ideal run for the Dennis Dart vehicles that are about to be withdrawn. I am proposing that one bus could operate this service at a 30 minute daytime frequency; during peak hours it could operate every 20 minutes.

At night and on weekends, it may be more worthwhile to operate the route using full size buses operating special to & from Dickson Interchange; this would reduce excessive layover times on a 60 minute frequency.
Are you serious?? Deploy another bus and pay another driver to drive a few hundred metres twice an hour? And that would be a better deal than the current cross over which might add 30 seconds to each trip? Also why would you add a shuttle bus to Dickson when there are already 2 buses from that location to Dickson? Not to mention the extra costs of maintaining an additional bus type for a 800m shuttle.
These are rhetorical questions for you to think about, I'm not interested in the answer.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on April 21, 2019, 09:32:55 AMAre you serious?? Deploy another bus and pay another driver to drive a few hundred metres twice an hour?
This would create an equivalent of four new FTE (full time equivalent) positions for bus operators; it is the role of government to improve the economy and create jobs, something the Barr Government has been excellent at achieving.

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on April 21, 2019, 09:32:55 AMAnd that would be a better deal than the current cross over which might add 30 seconds to each trip?
Peak traffic in that area would add far more for the deviation; in the spirit of the 7 day network, it is easier to continue operating this shuttle at all times.

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on April 21, 2019, 09:32:55 AMAlso why would you add a shuttle bus to Dickson when there are already 2 buses from that location to Dickson?
I believe that you have misunderstood my comment; on a weekend with only a 60 minute frequency on the Lyneham Shops to Stop 3118 route, it would be uneconomical to have a bus out there just for that shuttle, this is why I am proposing that at those times, buses that have finished other runs at Dickson Interchange would operate "not in service" to and from Lyneham Shops to operate trips on this route.

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on April 21, 2019, 09:32:55 AMNot to mention the extra costs of maintaining an additional bus type for a 800m shuttle.
This is a question best asked to the maintenance team at Belconnen; if it is not economical to maintain Dennis Darts for this route, it would be most appropriate to utilise Irisbus Agoraline low floors on the service.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Toyota Camry on April 21, 2019, 11:11:55 AMThis would create an equivalent of four new FTE (full time equivalent) positions for bus operators; it is the role of government to improve the economy and create jobs, something the Barr Government has been excellent at achieving.
If the government has the budget to run additional bus drivers and buses, there are an infinite number of unserviced or insufficiently serviced locations where the extra buses would be much more beneficial than a 800m shuttle in Lyneham to replace a route crossover.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oi, Lyneham is getting much more convenience as it is than Kambah to Woden. We're losing the 64, and having to ride both the 60/62 now 70/71 for an additional 15 more than ever, think Lyneham lucky they're getting what they've got at the cost of some strange route crossovers.

Bus 503

Quote from: Toyota Camry on April 21, 2019, 08:26:25 AMIt may be worth considering the operation of a separate shuttle route number 52, to provide a shuttle between Stop 3118 and Lyneham Shops; this would be an ideal run for the Dennis Dart vehicles that are about to be withdrawn. I am proposing that one bus could operate this service at a 30 minute daytime frequency; during peak hours it could operate every 20 minutes.

This goes back to the question of whether there is enough demand for the route 50 to deviate via Lyneham Shops at all. Are lots of people getting on at Miller Street to go to Lyneham Shops? Enough to warrant the crossover?

Regarding your suggestion of adding a shuttle bus between stop 3118 and Lyneham Shops, it seems like a waste of resources. I don't think that there is enough demand for the route 50 crossover, but I am pretty sure that there's not enough demand for a shuttle bus. The crossover is not the best option, but a shuttle bus is worse, simply because it wastes even more resources where there is no demand.

If the demand exists, then the crossover may be worth it. But it is not sensible to waste resources on a shuttle bus when I don't think the demand is even there to warrant the crossover.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on April 21, 2019, 09:32:55 AMAre you serious??
I think the answer to that is: no. And the follow up answers prove it.

Please move on. There have to be more important concerns.

Sylvan Loves Buses

As one era ends, a new one begins. Time for the most physically painful network of them, for me at least.

Bus 503

When will new timetables be put at bus stops? All the old timetables were removed around two weeks ago, but they were not replaced by the new timetables.
Is TC not planning on printing timetables for the slots at bus stops?

Barry Drive

Given that blades were removed from stops that won't be in use, since the timetable cases are still there, I assume the plan will be to insert the timetables from next week.

vnguyen

I was just looking up on Google maps and the weekend timetables are no longer available but shows up as the new network operating.

Doesn't the new network starts on Monday?

Busnerd

It starts on Monday, yes. Perhaps someone got the date wrong and uploaded/changed over the data too early, Barry Drive is an expert with that stuff.

Barry Drive

As mentioned above, the commencement date was going to be 27 April, but was later changed to be the 29th.

The first GTFS released had the weekend changes starting 27 April.

Also, new timetables have begun to appear at suburban stops.