Smart card ticketing system announced

Started by Barry Drive, July 08, 2009, 01:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

ACT Chief Minister, Jon Stanhope, today confirmed what we already knew: ACTION's new smartcard ticketing system will be installed by Downer EDI based on Perth's SmartRider system which uses Wayfarer technology. What we didn't previously know was the announced start date which is 'second half of 2010'.

Stanhope's media release is as follows:

QuoteChief Minister and Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, Jon Stanhope, today announced Downer EDI Engineering Power Pty Ltd would install ACTION's new $8 million smartcard ticketing system.

Mr Stanhope said the contract was awarded after an exhaustive tender and evaluation process which confirmed Downer EDI represented the best value system for Canberra' s bus service.

The new ticketing system, due to commence in the second half of 2010, is modelled on Perth's successful SmartRider system, which was also implemented by Downer EDI.

"Canberrans can look forward to a new ticketing system that is fast, easy and flexible," Mr Stanhope said. "It will offer bus users a reusable and rechargeable card for travel on all ACTION buses.

"Bus users will be able to recharge their smartcard over the internet, phone or at other card facilities across the ACT. A one-use ticket will also be available for casual users and tourists.

"Bus users will be required to tag-on and tag-off buses, which will significantly improve ACTION's capacity to monitor passenger trends and make adjustments to meet changes in demand.

"The new smart card system is an important part of the ACT Government's investment in developing a more efficient and user-friendly bus network.

"I look forward to working with Downer Engineering as we roll-out the smartcard ticketing system across the ACTION network," Mr Stanhope said.

The smartcard uses a microchip that is picked up by a reader without taking it out of a wallet or purse.

The new ticketing system will retain the current flat fares structure.

Barry Drive

I've said this before (maybe not on this forum), and I'll say it again: a tag on/tag off system and a flat fare structure do not work together. The reason why Perth and SE Qld have tag on/tag off are due to their zonal/sectional fare structure and tagging off allows the final fare cost to be calculated. To encourage tagging off, they charge a high default fare at time of tag on which gets reversed when the passenger tags off. If ACTION only charges a flat fare at tag on, then there is no incentive for the passenger to tag off.

On RiotACT, I put forward the idea of a time-based fare structure: $2 for under 60minutes, $2.50 for 60-90 minutes and $0.50 for each additional half-hour; trip ends if ticket not tagged on after 90 minutes; maximum daily fare applies - $4.50 if no travel in peak period, $7.40 otherwise. The maximum daily fare would be the default tag on charge for regular card holders ($7.40 Mon-Fri, $4.50 weekends) and perhaps $3.80 for casual (disposable) cards but with the ability to top up to the daily fare.

Sir Pompously

Indeed, there is nil incentive for anyone to tag off. I am a supporter of Zones, however Zones similar to the Translink system not the zones ACTION decided to introduce which were doomed for failure. However, I am sure with this type of Zonal System, the ACT Government would see fit to raise fares, I am working off a system of between 5 and 7 zone regions with the current maximum as the maximum fare (Or rounding to the nearest 10cents).

Hopefully the system is similar to Smartrider, where the system automatically factors in your daily, weekly etc travel and charges you an appropriate fare for what you use.

I Am interested into the naming of the System. After FareGo, we now have Faresaver. Will we see another Fare trend? Faresmart? FareTAG? I personally would like to see a return to FareGo, with FareGo Smart or Smart FareGo (And bring back the Mini name for concession!).

Barry Drive

FareSmart or FareGoSmart sound good to me.

Bus 400

Someone on RiotACT brought up a good idea. They were talking about using the Smartcards to pay for parking.

Well in Perth, at some Train Stations, people pay $2 to park for the whole day. All they do is tag on at a parking machine within the carpark & $2 is automatically deducted. Now ACTION could do a similar thing, at Park N Ride carparks.

Also as ACTION would need to keep paper tickets, for some tourist/irregular bus users. Now what Transperth did is give cheaper fares for people who use SmartRider cards-15% normally & 25% if people load credit onto their card through bpay.

But in Perth I noticed that drivers still ran out of coins, so I would help them by getting like $20 in silver & gold coins & loading $20 onto my Smartrider through the driver. They would then have the extra coins.

I should add that as far as I know, all drivers will get brand new ID cards, as on the Perth system, drivers sign on & off at the end of each run. So new cards may be needed, so that not so nice photo that was taken years ago will be updated.

But I now suspect that the little box that drivers sign on/off whenever they enter a bus may go as the Main receiver for the smartcards, has most of that built in.

Bus 400

I have been told that the ultimate plan with this new ticketing system is that the plan is to integrate it with Deanes ticketing system. I haven't seen any confirmation, but it sounds like a good idea though.

Irisbus Rider

While we're at it, why not intergrate it with Keirs too!

Seriously; would be nice, but as far as I know, it hasn't stated that anywhere else, so probably unlikely.

Sir Pompously

It is not impossible to do, as a few various ticketing types can be handled (Unlike the hundreds NSW Wanted into their system....). I have not heard of this plan, so I will believe it when I see it. However, I do not think NSW Have any restrictions on what type of ticketing system you use, aslong as the fare structure is NSW Standard. 

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Sir Pompously on July 26, 2009, 12:25:48 PM
It is not impossible to do 
Of course it isn't, but it hasn't stated that it will be intergrated with Deanes anywhere! So I highly doubt this will end up being the case.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on July 26, 2009, 07:03:34 PM
Of course it isn't, but it hasn't stated that it will be intergrated with Deanes anywhere! So I highly doubt this will end up being the case.

Quote from: MyselfI have not heard of this plan, so I will believe it when I see it.

Seeing I did not quote you, or direct the comment to you it is therefore not aimed at you. I am stating that it isn't impossible to do, not that it is going to be done!

Irisbus Rider

I didn't read anywhere that it would be impossible to do, hence, assuming that is common belief that it would be possible, which is why your post confused me. I think this is just a mis-interpretation of comments.

Bus 400

• According to the contract, ACTION should start modifying buses for the new equipment from 15 October 2009 & it should be complete by 10 December 2009.
  • With driver training starting in March 2010.
  • 10 of these machines will be installed in pilot buses in April 2010.
  • Work should start on it being installed in all buses from July 2010 & be complete by October 2010.
  • The Smart Cards will be rolled out to either students or 1,500 users in December 2010. Will it being available from January 2011.
  • With all the old machines removed by April 2011
  • The above information can be found at http://www.contractsregister.act.gov.au/contracts/cr.nsf/0/C6A1D731877CA15CCA257624001BC4BD/$File/Attachment%203%20S&I%20ARTS_IMS_160609.pdf

Snorzac

I believe some of that info= fail

The system should be fully operational from December 2010, Old machines should be removed in January.

Bus 400

One of the driver units was on display at Tuggeranong Depot today.

Busnerd

First of all you shouldn't have been inside the depot.

Second, we have already seen it. It is just the standard WAYFARER system as used elsewhere.

Keep in mind this may not even be the final product, they haven't even been ordered or anything yet.

Bus 400

I was told this from a ACTION supervisor, I so hope it isn't the final product apparently it is an oval shape.

Busnerd

As far as I know, it isn't. Console is standard boxy design with buttons either side and screen in the middle, similar looking to what hobart and brissie have.

Card reader is just the usual, has a screen, three lights and a tag on/off area.

Sir Pompously

Mat, do we know if it has a colour screen? If it has, could be the Wayfarer 200. The Readers I think were a rounded shape, but they don't look too bad.

http://www.parkeon.com/uk/Transport-2-Wayfarer-200.html

Busnerd

The front looks like that, i havent seen the rest of it though.

Barry Drive

Smart card update (from the December 2009 InterACTION newsletter):

(1) The name of the new ticketing system has been revealed. Drumroll please.

"MyWay"

(2) The planned implementation date is 11 October 2010 (start of Term 4). Not sure if this is supposed to be the full roll-out date or just a limited trial.

Barry Drive

A new media release from the Chief Minister:

Roll-out of ACTION's Smartcard technology begins
Released 28/04/2010

The technology supporting ACTION's new $8 million Smartcard ticketing system is being rolled-out on buses ahead of a trial of the system in late August, Chief Minister and Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, Jon Stanhope, announced today.

Mr Stanhope said the Smartcard would be available later this year and allow Canberrans to travel on buses without cash.

"Canberrans can look forward to a new ticketing system that is fast, easy and flexible," Mr Stanhope said. "It will offer bus users a reusable and rechargeable card for travel on all ACTION buses, helping to cut queues and travel times across the network.

"The Government is on track to deliver the start-of-the-art ticketing system by the end of this year."

Mr Stanhope said the Smartcard uses a microchip that is picked up by a reader without taking it out of a wallet or purse.

"The Smartcard can be preloaded with money over the internet, phone or at card facilities across the ACT, eliminating the hassle of carrying coins and purchasing individual tickets on a bus.

"A one-use ticket will continue to be available for casual users and tourists.

"Users will be required to tag-on and tag-off their bus, which will significantly improve our capacity to monitor passenger trends and make adjustments to our services.

"The smartcard system is an important part of the ACT Government's investment in developing a more efficient and user-friendly bus network."

Mr Stanhope said the new ticketing system would retain the current flat fares structure.

"The automated fare system will ensure passengers pay the lowest available fare each time they use an ACTION bus."